• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Harmen

Too late sadly.

For the people on gaf maybe, but I think the average ps4 owner isn't really on the know regarding these rumors.

But indeed I would prefer them to at least make a statement regarding titles running on base ps4 models, to prevent unnecessary speculation.

RexNovis

Banned
giphy.gif

Stop humoring this clown with replies there's no point. just report him and be done with it. No need to continually sidetrack the thread with his shenanigans.

Pandy

Your post was also just wrong in general. CPU has very little to do with frame rate unless the CPU is bogging down the GPU and even then it's not a big limiting factor.

You're right though the neo won't be a huge thing, but it will sell and I'd say it will represent 20-30% of the install base. Those of us who want something new, who desire more frames per second and frills will get it. The people who put SSDs in their ps4s for faster load times will get it etc. there are plenty who care about hardware but you're right we aren't the majority.

Luckily for us we are large enough to be served and get support though. So yay for the minority.
The small CPU boost shouldn't be a major problem in going from rough to smooth 30fps, but I can't see that many big games making the jump from 30fps to 60fps. Would love to be wrong about that.

prwxv3

I think there will be significant differences for VR games between the PS4 and NEO versions despite the mandate. FPS is one thing, but I'd bet there will be a huge difference in the resolution. I'm just making the point that it wasn't good timing for Sony to unveil PS VR prior to the NEO.

It will fail cert is resolution is too low as well. Because people will get sick if the resolution is too low.

I find this quite unfortunate though, was really looking forward to hardware reveals during E3. With Neo not happening there, I think the chance of anything Scorpio is very slim. But that chance was already quite slim if you ask me. But I guess we'll see.

It would seriously surprise me if Sony doesn't release the Neo this year, in time for PSVR.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is actually complement.

Compliment means saying something nice. Complement means to support or complete something.

/grammar and spelling nazi ^^

No, I know this... but how he used it in the meme, was the compliment spelling, but he underlined and bolded the word in the phrase used by House.

ironcreed

Banned
How long before the general public knows?

The GP is not going to give a damn as long as the GAMES deliver. It is simply way too early for new hardware and that is the reason for the hold off. It would be insane to release new hardware already and thankfully some brains behind the scenes have managed to figure that out.

243.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe Sony is delaying it and reworking it so they aren't behind MS in power?

No.

They are both using the same chipset in Polaris. Sony never announced specs (clocks). Meaning, what was rumored can be the early minimum clocks, and there is plenty of time to clock more within your cooling solution to get more power (Flops) out of the '480' chip, since they launched with 5.5TFlops due to higher clocks.

It has nothing to do with a rumor about Scorpio. I am sure they both have their own moles inside AMD, and by the time these 'leaks' hit, they been knowing about it.

My meme skills are lacking, I apologize fam ^^

All good, lol. I actually double checked when you posted that, because I was like, wait... lol.

No, thank you.
I'm all about big leaps. See you on the third year of PS5. Until then, My PS4 will serve me plenty.

Nothing wrong with that. If I did not want the UHD BluRay, I would probably wait for the 'PS5 gen' as well.

jrcbandit

Maybe they shelved the original Neo since they don't want to have the lesser GPU compared to the Scorpio. Wouldn't be surprised at a 2017 release date no matter what GPU they use, they don't want to shift focus away from PSVR and I doubt the more "casual" console players would buy both (yes true casual would get neither).

Boke1879

You're saying that the Neo will eventually become THE PS4 due to manufacturing changes, so it's sales won't matter since once it replaces the OG it will sell hotcakes like the PS4 is now. Do I have that correct?

NEO will be counted as a ps4 sale. Like I'm sure Sony won't stuff the channels if adoption is slow they knew who to market for at least in the beginning. But yea it's not going to be treated like a separate SKU.

The God

The GP is not going to give a damn as long as the GAMES deliver. It is simply way too early for new hardware and that is the reason for the hold off. It would be insane to release new hardware already and thankfully some brains behind the scenes have managed to figure that out.

243.gif

Isn't the rumor that it's launching this year?

The small CPU boost shouldn't be a major problem in going from rough to smooth 30fps, but I can't see that many big games making the jump from 30fps to 60fps. Would love to be wrong about that.

We don't know which CPU they are going to use in the final product. They are supposedly choosing from two different tiers.

daveo42

Banned
No surprise at this point. No reason to kill sales of your current system by announcing another one that's better and coming out in the fall.

Boke1879

243.gif

I still believe it's coming out later this year

KingJ2002

Interesting...

with reports that the next Xbox refresh and NX are releasing in 2017... Sony following suit is a smart move. They currently have the upper hand with a bigger library and a more powerful console... im sure they would like to keep it that way so a delay in it's release would make sense.

I can imagine that bigger / faster hard drives for the systems are on the way though... 500GB can't cut the mustard in 2016

meanspartan

This seems like a pretty big elephant in the room to just not talk about at all. Every game that isn't coming out in the next 3 months that is shown will be met with skepticism, "this will only look this good on Ps4k huh?"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe they shelved the original Neo since they don't want to have the lesser GPU compared to the Scorpio. Wouldn't be surprised at a 2017 release date no matter what GPU they use, they don't want to shift focus away from PSVR and I doubt the more "casual" console players would buy both (yes true casual would get neither).

Read above. Both will use the same chipset in Polaris, clocks can be adjusted to effect Flop outcome. There is no 'shelving', and it definitely has nothing to do with what we as forum gamers have heard leaked, lol.

This seems like a pretty big elephant in the room to just not talk about at all. Every game that isn't coming out in the next 3 months that is shown will be met with skepticism, "this will only look this good on Ps4k huh?"

However, we always had the PC elephant in the room for the third parties. And Sony has always met the graphical fidelity for their first party on the PS4 (and in some cases improved upon since E3) this gen.

Can't help but feel this was delayed in response to Scorpio. The PS4K jump in performance over the PS4 never made a lot of sense to me when focusing on 4K or VR content as it's simply still a bit underpowered for that. I get the whole upscaling strategy and all that but surely it will be better to release something that can more easily power up smaller less impressive titles in 4K.

If they came out with it this fall I'd feel a bit salty about my PS4 purchases and would not be too impressed with it's power. If they release a console next year's fall that can better compete with Scorpio it'd make a lot more sense for me as a purchase.

There was no delay. Sony and MSFT have their own moles within AMD I am sure, lol. And regardless, they both share the same Polaris chipset. It is not rocket science to figure out to get the Flop performance, you just up the clocks to what your thermal cooling can bare.

The Polaris chip just launched in a 480 which is 5.5Tflops due to clock. What we heard rumored about Neo could have been early/old info with clocks boosted or to be boosted since then, considering we had this info long before the 480 final spec was done and launched.

Has nothing to do with our 'leaked' knowledge, lol. E3 is not the place when they are already showcasing games and VR. Think about it peeps.

No surprise at this point. No reason to kill sales of your current system by announcing another one that's better and coming out in the fall.

This makes sense, bu still. Dont we all know its coming officially? What does this change really? Someone who wants the neo is going to wait one way or another at this point.

This is actually exciting because it means Sony can focus more on showing games

Because talking about a console for 5 minutes is going to change anything?

Relique

Can't help but feel this was delayed in response to Scorpio. The PS4K jump in performance over the PS4 never made a lot of sense to me when focusing on 4K or VR content as it's simply still a bit underpowered for that. I get the whole upscaling strategy and all that but surely it will be better to release something that can more easily power up smaller less impressive titles in 4K.

If they came out with it this fall I'd feel a bit salty about my PS4 purchases and would not be too impressed with it's power. If they release a console next year's fall that can better compete with Scorpio it'd make a lot more sense for me as a purchase.

I think there will be significant differences for VR games between the PS4 and NEO versions despite the mandate. FPS is one thing, but I'd bet there will be a huge difference in the resolution. I'm just making the point that it wasn't good timing for Sony to unveil PS VR prior to the NEO.

They can't surpass PSVR resolution, heck PSVR dosn't even support native 1080p on both eyes. There won't be much difference between the two versions. The only thing devs can do is try 90/120 FPS native with NEO. Resolution will be the same.

The God

This makes sense, bu still. Dont we all know its coming officially? What does this change really? Someone who wants the neo is going to wait one way or another at this point.

Because talking about a console for 5 minutes is going to change anything?
They're going to need way more than 5 minutes to explain everything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm glad they won't unveil this at E3. More time for games. Still curious about Neo, but I guess we'll find out in due time.

No.

They are both using the same chipset in Polaris. Sony never announced specs (clocks). Meaning, what was rumored can be the early minimum clocks, and there is plenty of time to clock more within your cooling solution to get more power (Flops) out of the '480' chip, since they launched with 5.5TFlops due to higher clocks.

It has nothing to do with a rumor about Scorpio. I am sure they both have their own moles inside AMD, and by the time these 'leaks' hit, they been knowing about it.

All good, lol. I actually double checked when you posted that, because I was like, wait... lol.

Nothing wrong with that. If I did not want the UHD BluRay, I would probably wait for the 'PS5 gen' as well.

Exactly, I think you are right about that. Even if they didn't know the details about each other's plans, I really doubt Sony would change plans completely based on rumours about Scorpio. It's nice that Sony has confirmed it now though. I wonder how long until MS confirms it as well. It's possible that they briefly mention it at E3.

If you had to guess, do you think the Neo will still launch this year?

Boke1879

This isn't how things work. Sony probably knew of the Scorpio rumored specs long before we even heard about it. And besides Sony isn't going to let MS dictate their plans. Sony is the Market leader. They probably just don't want their conference overstuffed.

Let E3 be about games and VR. They can announce NEO at a later time

thuway

Why is there a cynical assumption that Sony is "scared" of Scorpio and pro-actively reacting to an unannounced- paper spec- console with target performance number- set to release much later?

If anything- it's quite obvious why Sony wouldn't overload their conference with information. For all the pomp and circumstance from critics that for some reason still regurgitate the tried and true hyperbole: "PlayStation 4 has no exclusives!" - this E3 will be the one to try and challenge that rhetoric if every thing we're being told comes to fruition.

The last three years, Sony's first party studio output has been titled. Studios have rebooted, entire projects have been canned, priorities have been shifted, and heads have rolled. However, this is the year where we are officially seeing: Bend, Guerilla, Japan, Media Molecule, Polyphony, Santa Monica, AND Sucker Punch with some sort of reveal planned. The most important of which is - there is no "timed exclusivity", "sequel on another platform"; "paid to be exclusive" shenanigans..... AND not to mention the myriad of second party projects Sony has- this show seems to be the most "exclusive" heavy PlayStation conference yet.

AND ALL PEOPLE WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS NEO? Why? The best way to disrespect your first party send-offs is to divert the media's attention to an entirely new box.

Top Bottom