• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
If I don't have a 4K TV and have no interest in VR would it be better to just get a regular PS4? Will the difference to non-NEO games be that noticeable with the upgraded innards of the Neo?

VanWinkle

SO happy it's not at E3! I don't want to be confused by which version I'm seeing gameplay from, and frankly I want more time to be spent on the games and not hardware revisions.

Why even admit to its existence and give it a soft-reveal?

Cause denying now would be pretty lame, given all the voices and hints. This soft-reveal, which will be followed by an official reveal in the next months (Gamescom, TGS, PGS), it's nothing strange. I mean, it's just a premium PS4.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
E3 stands for Electronic Entertainment Expo. It has, traditionally, always been about games and hardware, from the very first E3.

Things have changed if you have been keeping up due to other conferences take precedent, and even their own events now. ;)

Not a single console or hardware has been revealed at E3 since the Wii U I believe.

Why even say it exists though? They could have said at the E3 they're working on something and will have more to show at a later date.

You are complaining because they are being more transparent than they need to be?

Well I'll be.

tumblr_mdn7wzBL2d1ri9yduo1_250.gif

Freeman

Banned
It would be interesting if the 20m sales projections did not include the Neo launch period after all.

I hope we get an even like the PS4 meeting with Cerny speaking about hardware.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Things have changed if you have been keeping up due to other conferences take precedent, and even their own events now. ;)

Not a single console or hardware has been revealed at E3 since the Wii U I believe.

Makes sense. Why announce hardware when you're competing with the entire industry for attention?

Not even close to the same situation. PS4 has sold through more than the Wiiu and Xbox 1 combined. Nintendo is fading in the home console space, they needed to bring the noise. Sony only needs to keep showing games and support for their well-performing console.

Still not convinced a stand alone nintendo event wont accomplish the same thing. Hell...isnt that how Sony unveiled the ps4 to the world?

Still not convinced a stand alone nintendo event wont accomplish the same thing. Hell...isnt that how Sony unveiled the ps4 to the world?

Sadly I don't think the world really cares about NX. The mainstream seems to have forgotten about Nintendo. Nintendo would have had the opportunity to show Zelda off on the NC and really get the ball rolling while news outlets were all over it. The event will get coverage, but there's no telling how it'll all play out.

KingK

Let me preface this by saying I haven't regularly browsed gaming side in years, so I'm not up to date in specifics of all the rumors or anything.

The comparison to the phone market as an excuse for consoles to have biennial upgrades from now on is stupid. I use my phone to text, make calls, and browse the internet, not to play games. So the power of the phone means almost nothing to me. The whole fucking point of getting a console instead of PC gaming is not having to worry about the constant upgrades. You get one piece of hardware that will give you a standard, universal level of performance for 5-7 years.

I just can't believe that future PS4/PSPoor games won't suffer severe performance issues relative to the Neo that wouldn't have been there otherwise. But if that's not the case and the only difference in performance and graphics aren't that significant or noticeable, then what the fuck is the point of making a new console that's 2-4 times as powerful, and not utilizing all that extra power?

This gen has also been pretty disappointing on the games front. It seems like half of the big releases every year have been remakes and remasters. I just got a PS4 last year because I figured there were finally enough original games to make it worth it, and uncharted 4 was coming out soon. I've also been hoping that we would start getting a lot more quality games that aren't just remakes over the next few years with developers finally getting used to the hardware. But now, even if that does happen, I'll be stuck playing the low settings versions. I also could not give less of a shit about VR, and I'm kinda worried about how many developer resources that will suck up.

I'm honestly hoping for the Neo/Scorpio to fail terribly at this point so that the market abandons this strategy. Otherwise I seriously think I'm done with consoles. I had already considered saving for a gaming PC instead of a PS4 last year, but I've always preferred console gaming. Oh well.

No one uses the phone market as an example for PS4 Neo as a platform, at least I hope not.

PS4s are not sold with contracts. Completely different ballgame. And this is not "biannual."

Biannual means twice a year upgrading.

Like really, come on now. Wish people would really look up the words they use sometimes.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Meh. Not feeling this.

Dat first post. I agree.

Playing the Witcher 3 on PS4 is awesome now after the patching. It's a solid system and think the Neo is just being brought out mainly for VR and 4K. I don't care for VR because gaming in my household is usually a social event where family and friends usually watch and play together. My 1080p LG tv alongside my PS4, Xbox One and Wii U is good enough. 4K resolution is a luxury imho, not the standard. I'll adopt when I feel it's worth it and more widespread.

I also have The Witcher 3 on my pc with a Nvidia 970. While I can crank the settings, I think the PS4 does a phenomenal job of pushing through some great graphics and honestly don't feel/see a huge difference in graphics going one from another.

Arkam

well,that's a good start for E3.

Microsoft,you have the ball right now.

Pretty sure that is Sony's wish. Let the world know it IS real( but give very few details) and force MS to react and then adjust any details (if needed).

There are a couple major events between E3 and Holiday 2016. If Sony unveiled all MS at E3 MS would have an easy time crafting a response and present it at either TGS or GamesCom.

So IF i were MS I would not say much about "Scorpio" or any such except "We have an upgrade coming too... and it is way better" <- Even if it is not entirely true.

Of course if they both launch in 2017 this all becomes moot.

KingK

No one uses the phone market as an example for PS4 Neo as a platform, at least I hope not.

PS4s are not sold with contracts. Completely different ballgame. And this is not "biannual."

Biannual means twice a year upgrading.

Like really, come on now. Wish people would really look up the words they use sometimes.
Biennial then, my bad. No need to dismiss me based on semantics.

And yes, I've seen people in this thread comparing this market model to smartphones.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, what? There's a chance that not all games will work on the newer model? What!?

I see the speculation in this thread, but still, this statement is misleading and needs to be clarified.

Here you go: "Sadly, horor game P.T. that is currently installed and playable on consoles of many of gamers around the world will not be possible to run on PS4K due to delisting of this title from PSN by its publisher
#Fuc
Konami".

/deep Japanese bow

Why is there a cynical assumption that Sony is "scared" of Scorpio and pro-actively reacting to an unannounced- paper spec- console with target performance number- set to release much later?

If anything- it's quite obvious why Sony wouldn't overload their conference with information. For all the pomp and circumstance from critics that for some reason still regurgitate the tried and true hyperbole: "PlayStation 4 has no exclusives!" - this E3 will be the one to try and challenge that rhetoric if every thing we're being told comes to fruition.

The last three years, Sony's first party studio output has been titled. Studios have rebooted, entire projects have been canned, priorities have been shifted, and heads have rolled. However, this is the year where we are officially seeing: Bend, Guerilla, Japan, Media Molecule, Polyphony, Santa Monica, AND Sucker Punch with some sort of reveal planned. The most important of which is - there is no "timed exclusivity", "sequel on another platform"; "paid to be exclusive" shenanigans..... AND not to mention the myriad of second party projects Sony has- this show seems to be the most "exclusive" heavy PlayStation conference yet.

AND ALL PEOPLE WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS NEO? Why? The best way to disrespect your first party send-offs is to divert the media's attention to an entirely new box.

This E3 will be good if they can deliver on 1st party projects [with not only sequels, but new IPs that MS is so very unwilling to invest into]. Traditionally, Sony was always willing to risk it with their 1st/2nd party projects. They greenlight games from all genres, with crazy ideas and gameplay styles, and more often than not they don't find success. But they make their game library very wide, covering many possible gaming interests. With Sony I know that I will get tons of different gaming genres on E3, even more insanity on Gamescom/PGW, lots of Japanese focus on TGS and then final blast of gaming content on PSX. They are cranking up the game library like mad, and E3 represents the "starting of a marketing season" for each year. Hopefully this year will be great one, with Neo or not.

Then why confirm it the way Sony have today?
Why did Nintendo confirmed existence of NX so early? Because if they did not, media would rip them appart after that mobile game news announcement. We have few days to think about this, news waves will pass, and then we can enjoy awesome games on E3 [that will not get generational leap on Neo].

worst reveal ever!!
No, that was NX. House at least confirmed many things about Neo, Nintendo said the codename and nothing else.

geordiemp

Biennial then, my bad. No need to dismiss me based on semantics.

And yes, I've seen people in this thread comparing this market model to smartphones.

But my Ps4 is coming up to 3 years old, so explain to me your calculations for Biennial then, looking forward to it.

House should of done a Nintendo type reveal, its called Neo and thats it. It does not replace a Ps4 or Vita, its a new way to play ....please wait a year or 2 lol

Why is there a cynical assumption that Sony is "scared" of Scorpio and pro-actively reacting to an unannounced- paper spec- console with target performance number- set to release much later?

I'm all for promoting this narrative in a completely non-serious fashion if it means more silly Scorpio gifs and less fan anxiety and system wars crap.

jony_m

This is great news! I prefer console reveals/technical info outside E3, like the PS4 reveal event.

This means they have a conference packed full of games.

Freeman

Banned
Sure, as long as you don't care about alienating a lot of low income consumers.
What are you talking about? These consoles will play the same games, they aren't alienating anyone.

The console you bought 3 years ago wouldn't be any better if they didn't release an improved version.

If anything a half step like this prolongs the length of the current generation.

Sadly I don't think the world really cares about NX. The mainstream seems to have forgotten about Nintendo. Nintendo would have had the opportunity to show Zelda off on the NC and really get the ball rolling while news outlets were all over it. The event will get coverage, but there's no telling how it'll all play out.

From the inception of gaming we have seen ninty on top, to sony dominance, the rise of microsoft after sonys blunders to microsoft fucking up the xbone. Im not saying that the NX will set the world on fire but given the above,I will reserve judgement until all the cards are on the table.

Not sure if already posted, but there is more in the article on the motivations for this, and the kind of model they seem to be projecting.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aca45ff2-2ea0-11e6-bf8d-26294ad519fc.html#ixzz4BBDtN83v

So the model may not be one of endless generations as much as revisions within generations at a small number of technological inflection points.

Also:

The investment required to develop the new PS4 is already accounted for in Sony’s latest financial results, he added./QUOTE]

This is what I've been saying since we got wind of psk / neo. Unlike Microsoft, I don't think Sony have endless iterative console future in mind. More like what you say - possible mid gen refreshes if the technology spikes are there to take advantage of.

I think MSFT will mention something briefly about 'Scorpio' in their plans as well.

I think it will be out by this Holiday season, if pushed back to 2017, it is to take advantage of a better CPU solution then.

What makes you say that?

They are not launching a new console platform. They do not need as much 'time in advance'.

They'll probably go with a line like "oh...and about those 'Scorpio' rumours that've been going around? We're working on it. Thank you everyone and enjoy the rest of the E3! Bye!".

Top Bottom