• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

leroidys

I've been blue balling waiting to pick up a PS4 since these rumors first started coming out. Was hoping that E3 would give me a clear decision to purchase or wait.

gatti-man

Sadly I don't think the world really cares about NX. The mainstream seems to have forgotten about Nintendo. Nintendo would have had the opportunity to show Zelda off on the NC and really get the ball rolling while news outlets were all over it. The event will get coverage, but there's no telling how it'll all play out.

If Nintendo brings the games the world will care.

It's likely Sony already knew about Scorpio, and surmised the power difference of it potentially launching a year later. For context, MS pieced together the general performance the PS3 would have while working on the 360.

Sony might feel "OK" about the power difference, it might be a planned and acceptable trade-off for launching earlier without competition.[/QUOTE]

And at a more mass market friendly price.

I was hoping this would be at E3, since that might mean that it won't make it out this year (but maybe it still will?).

I haven't gotten a PS4 yet and the Neo seemed like it would be perfect placed for me to get one. Finally a lot of great games out for the PS4 and my big Euro trip will be finished by then and I can have some spending money again!

I don't know why everyone is worried about the Neo?

The good lord $ONY will bless us with Knack 2 which will snatchT all our weaves

oprah-shade-birthday.gif

THE:MILKMAN

This is great news! I prefer console reveals/technical info outside E3, like the PS4 reveal event.

This means they have a conference packed full of games.

Can't see an expensive separate event now given Sony's language about Neo being for the hardcore niche. The FT article comes across to me as Sony really wanting to launch the Neo with little fanfare.

Also I'm surprised at the amount of people that are now suggesting a $499 price point. Frankly it would be a dead duck at that price for me.

This is what I've been saying since we got wind of psk / neo. Unlike Microsoft, I don't think Sony have endless iterative console future in mind. More like what you say - possible mid gen refreshes if the technology spikes are there to take advantage of.

Yep, I think a mid gen upgraded console will replace the Slim console refreshes of the past. I dont think we will get a PS4 Slim, we will just get an upgraded PS4 and the standard PS4 will be the base "slim" version.

bman94

November 2013, coming up for 3 years.

Always amuses me how some like to call 3 years 2 or 4 depending on their agenda...Call it what it is, 3 years.

Wii U: November 2012
PlayStation 4: November 2013
Xbox One: November 2013

Hypothetical ending in 2017 with new Hardware:
NX:March 2017
PlayStation Neo: 2017 (If released next year)
Xbox Scorpio: Holiday 2017 (Rumored)
November 2012-2013: Year 1
November 2013-2014: Year 2
November 2014-2015: Year 3
November 2015-2016: Year 4
& Hypothetical:
November 2016-March 2017: Year 4.3

So I was off by a few months, the gen still began in 2012 just like Gen 6 began in 1999 with the Dreamcast.

geordiemp

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.

There is no adjustment there have always been two pills one blue and one red.

This is the most telling post, Osiris hints that Sony has 2 designs, one of them has an even more enhanced CPU and is more expensive. Maybe it is more ZEN like.

If Sony are taking the red pill, then maybe they need a few more months in the oven. Personally, for 60 FPS gameplay, Sony need CPU and bandwidth...Take your time Sony, there is no hurry. Maybe Sony are delaying to take the more complex option...Osiris please tell us !

Wii U: November 2012
PlayStation 4: November 2013
Xbox One: November 2013

I was wondering what Steve Youngbloods post meant, I always considered the WiiU in the 360/Ps3 generation - it certainly was in that performance bracket and never participated in the wave of what most thought of as the next gen third party games. Take Destiny rise of Iron, when people say ditch last gen its understood meaning the sub 1 TF lower power smaller memory consoles.

Anyway, my post was about people claiming upgrades for Ps4 every 2 years when it will clearly be 3 years old - it was following the thread and nothing to do with Nintendo.

Why? Because you don't like the idea of Neo or because you wanted to see it revealed at E3?
the former. i don't care when they announce it.
Yet the console it was still a massive failure. Just appealing to hardcore Nintendo fans is not enough.
sure we can talk all the smack in the world about the wii u's hardware sales but at least it had pretty strong software sales for 1st party games.

c0de

For the sake of competition, let's hope it will. To me, Nintendo is essential to the gaming market, although last system I bought was a ds.
And let's hope they don't want to rely on only games. They have to make the system itself appealing to a broad audience.

This is the most telling post, Osiris hints that Sony has 2 designs, one of them has an even more enhanced CPU and is more expensive. Maybe it is more ZEN like.

If Sony are taking the red pill, then maybe they need a few more months in the oven. Personally, for 60 FPS gameplay, Sony need CPU and bandwidth...

Take your time Sony, there is no hurry.

I want that RED pill. If you going to make a premium model then do it! $299 PS4 and$449 to $499 PS4K. House said PS4K is aimed at the hardcore so give us what we want.

the former. i don't care when they announce it.sure we can talk all the smack in the world about the wii u's hardware sales but at least it had pretty strong software sales for 1st party games.

He said the world will care if they bring the games. I simply provided proof that bringing the games is not enough.

Skipping E3 is a big deal imo

Uncertainty is not a good thing. Come holiday season if people dont have concrete info on Neo then it might hurt sales of current ps4's. Maybe they'll reveal it before then. Who knows.

Swass

Kind of bummed that this won't be at E3.. takes a little wind out of the sails as it was probably my most anticipated announcement since I'm excited for the new machine..

Uncertainty is not a good thing. Come holiday season if people dont have concrete info on Neo then it might hurt sales of current ps4's. Maybe they'll reveal it before then. Who knows.

if i recall correctly, they did at least reveal the Ps4's existence in earlier 2013, but they didn't do a full blown coverage until e3. this was of course long before i was on gaf.

I want that RED pill. If you going to make a premium model then do it! $299 PS4 and$449 to $499 PS4K. House said PS4K is aimed at the hardcore so give us what we want.

He said the world will care if they bring the games. I simply provided proof that bringing the games is not enough.

I think $499 is a lot even for the most hardcore. These are not PC users who are willing to shell out that much money every 4 years. Price needs to stay at $399 and below.

THE:MILKMAN

If Sony are taking the red pill, then maybe they need a few more months in the oven. Personally, for 60 FPS gameplay, Sony need CPU and bandwidth...

Take your time Sony, there is no hurry.

No way. I'm not sure exactly what Osiris means but maybe red pill is PS4 and blue pill is Neo?

There is little chance Sony have been sending out the dev kits they have for devs to work with (along with a do/don't rule book) and then turn around and say.....Sorry we're upgrading it and coming out later still instead. Devs would really love that extra-extra work!

KingK

Thats fine. But the ps4 will still play the same games but they will look worse, etc.

This is my big concern. If they're sticking with this iterative upgrade business model going forward, then why the hell would I not just stick to PC? Not having to worry about and deal with this stuff has always been a big reason I buy consoles.

What are you talking about? These consoles will play the same games, they aren't alienating anyone.

The console you bought 3 years ago wouldn't be any better if they didn't release an improved version.

If anything a half step like this prolongs the length of the current generation.

I'm worried that developers will optimize games for Neo and then make sacrifices to get it to run on the base model, whereas without the Neo they would just be optimizing for the base PS4. In other words, I'm worried that the performance of games I buy in 2017 will suffer compared to an alternate reality in which the Neo didn't exist.

Also, I still feel burned by the New 3DS and how it has exclusive games. I know the Neo is supposed to be fully compatible, but if they get a lot of success with it and this iterative upgrade business model becomes the standard, I don't have much confidence in the compatibility thing holding true for future upgrades.

Idk, it's not the end of the world, it's just not at all a direction I want the industry to take. And FWIW (anecdotal, so probably not much), literally every person I've talked to in real life who's heard about these console upgrades has had a negative reaction to it.

I think $499 is a lot even for the most hardcore. These are not PC users who are willing to shell out that much money every 4 years. Price needs to stay at $399 and below.

If the PS4 is still the main model why does the PS4K need to stay at $399? They seem to be framing it as premium model so treat it and price it like one.

This makes no sense. Not knowing about an unrevealed product is the status quo. Has no impact on sales. Knowing about a hardware upgrade months in advance, on the other hand, is sure to delay/reduce sales in the short term. It makes sense for Sony (and MS) to wait until soon before the release of the new hardware to showcase it.

This is my big concern. If they're sticking with this iterative upgrade business model going forward, then why the hell would I not just stick to PC? Not having to worry about and deal with this stuff has always been a big reason I buy consoles.

I'm worried that developers will optimize games for Neo and then make sacrifices to get it to run on the base model, whereas without the Neo they would just be optimizing for the base PS4. In other words, I'm worried that the performance of games I buy in 2017 will suffer compared to an alternate reality in which the Neo didn't exist.

Also, I still feel burned by the New 3DS and how it has exclusive games. I know the Neo is supposed to be fully compatible, but if they get a lot of success with it and this iterative upgrade business model becomes the standard, I don't have much confidence in the compatibility thing holding true for future upgrades.

Idk, it's not the end of the world, it's just not at all a direction I want the industry to take. And FWIW (anecdotal, so probably not much), literally every person I've talked to in real life who's heard about these console upgrades has had a negative reaction to it.
this.

i have a really good friend who's a casual and even he's pissed off. but not as pissed off as i am lol.

geordiemp

No, you have the original Ps4 for that which will be $ 300 by then. For the hardcore, people who have disposable income to spend and want a powerful console, a $ 399 Ps4 Neo with a 30 % CPU is a crap idea. If it cannot run Witcher 4 at say 1080p60 or Frostbite games at 1080p60 nobody will care. Its dead.

The Neo has to have enough grunt to run 1080p60 on all 3rd party games if developers allow, it needs grunt. Sony have to make sure it gets there or these consumers will buy the Scorpio. Neo wont go anywhere with Jaguar, it serves no purpose and wont achieve the target consumers would be looking for.

Probably won't matter this year if it's $450-500, especially if production is going to be slow to ramp up. They can launch at that price, remain unopposed in that space for a year, and then drop it to $400 as soon as Scorpio comes out.

Well E3 hype lowered. Good that they let us know.

Honestly i think it was kinda dumb to let us know tbh. It gives MS a chance to react to this now. Had they not let anyone know, knowing that MS goes first they could've gotten more information out of them. Now MS can just stay quiet and Sony get nothing.

Weird move to confirm it right before E3 (and before MSs conference) and months before the fall, but not say anything else about it. Youre basically telling everyone a new console a coming out. People who were intent on waiting for it will still do so. I dont get it.

No way. I'm not sure exactly what Osiris means but maybe red pill is PS4 and blue pill is Neo?

There is little chance Sony have been sending out the dev kits they have for devs to work with (along with a do/don't rule book) and then turn around and say.....Sorry we're upgrading it and coming out later still instead. Devs would really love that extra-extra work!

No OrisisBlack very clearly stated that Sony has two different specs for the Neo at different price points under consideration. He said that today and he said it months ago when the rumors first started circulating.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is not a new console platform. It is the same ecosystem. If they profit from day one, they are fine, since the cheaper, price cut OG PS4 will still be there selling to those who are not the enthusiasts.

Hell, Microsoft released a $150 controller. A controller technically/arguably due to their sales on the console for the past year+ which made it half the price of the console, and it sold well.

If they up the CPU pushing it to the $499 range like one of the rumors was saying, combined with a UHD drive, it would not be too farfetched to expect 4K/gaming enthusiasts to buy them.

The Wii U has games. The world didn't care. Wii was able to capture people's attention with its unique controls and accessibility for the masses. Mobile has largely filled that role. Really no telling what the NX will be, but people were excited for the Wii U and it's promise of games, 1st and 3rd party. That ended with this year's forecast of ~800,000. Nintendo needs to go in fully on PR, advertising and marketing to capture the general public's attention. Gamers will see it no matter what. Everyone else? Not necessarily

Top Bottom