• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Scorpio is nothing more than a whisper in the wind right now. That thing won't be at E3 either beyond a passing mention like this one from House.

So much for showing God of War on the new hardware then.

Sony still has many opportunities to reveal it this year and have it out in time for VR.

Audioboxer

Why does everyone keep saying they'll announce at Gamecom? It seems like it would make way more sense to announce at PSX. Hit the core audience that would even consider buying this in the first place, place it after PSVR to not kill sales of the headset, then announce a PS4K/Horizon bundle or something similar.

Putting the PSVR and Neo out at the same time seemed so weird to me and like a bad move even from someone who was considering buying both. With all the money they've invested in PSVR I think there's no way we see Neo coming out this year only so that they can focus all their marketing minds/dollars on pushing VR units while the base PS4 continues to dominate. Then throw the Neo in early next year once VR sales start to even out and discount the base PS4 to move more units of both.

People are going on the rumoured release date of Sept/Oct. PSX is in December.

Well l thought it was releasing this year so am dissapointed with no UHD BluRay player from Sony.

Jeff Rigby has you covered with PS4 firmware updates.

GHG

Gold Member
Probably so they can make sure the sentiment that "we're not abandoning the regular PS4" sentiment can get out there, since everyone already knows the Neo is coming. While that may be true, we all know anyone that's going to buy a PS4 for the last month or so has been waiting to see what happens with the Neo. Nobody wants to get burned.

The key bit of information is the fact that it will cost more than $350.

Therefore, if you don't want to spend more than that on a new console then you can just get the ps4 in comfort knowing that all games will still come out on it moving forwards. Everyone else who is looking to spend more can wait (but these people will likely already have a ps4 anyway).

SkylineRKR

Was hoping this silly upgrade didn't exist, but this is also good news.

Not that I am against upgrades, but this all sounded too minor. Just sit out another 2 years and unveil the PS5.

I wanted to see what it looked like

The new form factor and weight etc...

I for one love my consoles to get progressively smaller, cooler, quieter and more efficient

The power bump of the Neo is also a plus

Now they are back pedaling? That bums me out

platocplx

this would make a lot of sense to launch the 4K 'neo' model in 2017.

They would be crazy to launch both a modified console and VR at the same time totally would cannibalize sales.

I honestly see them launching this Fall 2017, maybe as early as Q1 2017. But its definitely not coming this year.

also I think 2017 would fall into what i think the new console cycle will be,4 year mid upgrade cycle. 8 year full revamp.

Vuze

Interesting. So basically Premium PS4 for 399$ or 449$ in 2017? Don't think they'll release it this year if it's not present at E3.

Guess I'll be keeping my old one for a little longer than anticipated.

Z3M0G

It's probably best to not show it at E3 and make too much of a big deal about it... It's not the launch of a new gen, so they need to keep it lower-key then what they would normally do for a new gen launch.

Sony still has many opportunities to reveal it this year and have it out in time for VR.

It shouldn't be "out in time for VR" because that would make people think you need it for VR... which you don't. Neo and PSVR are not heavily died to each other.

They will reveal it few weeks ahead if it's release date.

Exactly. It should have an announcement equivalent to a Slim model.

Elandyll

Banned
As expected (at least for me).

They will probably officially unveil either at GC, TGS or PGW for a Nov release, before that it's all about PS4/ PSVR.

Still expecting a $50 price drop at E3 for PS4 (particularly if there is.a base model refresh-nothing significant), although they might keep that in reserve for the Neo unveil (expected $399).

I also do not expect to see or hear about Scorpio at E3, that may be jumping the gun, but rather about a Slim refresh for the XB1.
Otoh if they want to prepare people for their big 2017 move (imo Xbox brand moving to Win10 HTPC line, Scorpio being the first), they might talk about what's coming knowing full well that in that case, baring a small bump for the Slim month release, it's going to be a wash for XB1.

That's disappointing, the Neo is one of the things I was most curious about from Sony's conference. I guess wait for Gamescom?

What are the odds they've pushed it back to better compete with Scorpio?

sono

I am fine with the "not ready to announce at E3" aspect of this

Nevertheless I still have concerns that it still may be too soon after PS4 was brought to market when it is ready.

A device that offers higher resolution and more powerful graphical features is not in keeping with prior Sony Playstation lifecycles and I need to understand this better for what it means for my PS4 hardware investment.

Ricker

You believe 4k will become the norm next year?

Late 2017 is like a year and a half away...you already have 4K HDTV lowering in price,even the good ones are getting close to 1500,2000 bucks now,tech like this works fast...as for 4K gaming at 60 FPS...probably not though but its easier to sell a 4K TV if theres actually stuff at 4K,like Sports thats already starting to be broadcast at 4K...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good luck rendering games at that resolution. With 60 frames per second. For 400 bucks.

they already don't do that for plenty of 1080p games. A reasonably updated PS4 with specs as previously rumoured could probably manage 4k/30 fine. Or 1080p/60/AA for those of us peasants that still have 1080p TVs :)

Scorpio also shouldn't be at E3 unless MS wants to kill Xbone right now.

5c659611ed3d3d6bdf058253d31e8752a2bdf3679006c9f4c8d7ce375e9d3850.jpg

Just because they won't be showing the PS4K, to those of you freaking out, that doesn't mean that they won't show footage of a game running on it with the promise to show more at a future event.

I'm shocked by how much people have turned around to the idea of a new PS4 coming. Everyone was freaking out about it and throwing stones at Sony what seems like a minute ago.

Kouichi

Ah, so no E3. Eh I wasn't really excited for it, so I don't care that it missed it. Now I wonder if they will pick a different event to reveal it or prepare their own event for it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I find this revelation a bit disappointing. Though it shouldn't heavily impact the amount of software to be shown during Sony's E3 2016 press conference.

Flavius

We're definitely getting new hardware at E3, though, right? Too much chatter to think otherwise. So does that mean it's the Xbox One Slim?

Just because they won't be showing the PS4K, to those of you freaking out, that doesn't mean that they won't show footage of a game running on it with the promise to show more at a future event.

I'm shocked by how much people have turned around to the idea of a new PS4 coming. Everyone was freaking out about it and throwing stones at Sony what seems like a minute ago.

I wasnt but clearly enough people did

damn shame

spons

Gold Member
I'm guessing not enough games are ready to show off the advantages yet.

Just throw some remasters and other nonsense into the crowd during the presser and you're good. Or just hit the magical recompile button and with the flick of a switch we get 4k output. It's almost like these are walled garden PCs or something.

Guess we'll see nothing of that.

wapplew

I'm still throwing stone at it.

Top Bottom