• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

Relativ9

Strange that their mobile sales would decline, the Xperia line is without a doubt the best android devices on the market currently.

Mario007

yeah it is pretty bizarre to say the least. Vita is so dead if I were a retailer I'd hang up on Sony if they asked me to take any more lol

Which makes the 0.75 figure all the more impressive. Now I imagine at least 200k is PSP (developing countries and all) but that still leave 550k which is about the same as Wii U and probably more than 360 did and only a bit less than Xbone.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
PS4 crushing. Its good to see someone's A-game being rewarded as Sony really just sat down and went to town on the dev of that console. I feel theyve lost a bit of momentum this year with cutbacks, and hope they find it again for 2015 onwards.

Strange that their mobile sales would decline, the Xperia line is without a doubt the best android devices on the market currently.

They consistently make a total mess of the Xperia roll-outs. Theyre confusing, oddly timed, and still not knocking on the door of markets they should be.

Relativ9

Don-Mattrick-Zynga.jpg

Oh god, that acutally made me cry with laughter :D

Relativ9

They consistently make a total mess of the Xperia roll-outs. Theyre confusing, oddly timed, and still not knocking on the door of markets they should be.

Good point, shame really. The devices themselves are fantastic, if they supported them with proper marketing and timely release dates they could eventually eclipse Samsung.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Wow, 3:1...

How high will the PS4 go by the end of this year? 15 million? More..?

I believe that the white PS4 Destiny bunduru + exclusive marketing campaign for Destiny was a stroke of genius on Sony's part.

Also, I REALLY hope some Japaneese developers will finally jump in, I mean, they can't ignore a console in a beast mode, can they...?

Yeah, sure they can...

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This holiday season and the aftermath will be really interesting to watch. I'm still betting that PS4 will be on "sold out"-status in a lot of places at the end of the year. Hopefully they can turn the Japanese market around too so that those developers actually start investing in this console generation.

Mario007

Wow, 3:1...

How high will the PS4 go by the end of this year? 15 million? More..?

I believe that the white PS4 Destiny bunduru + exclusive marketing campaign for Destiny was a stroke of genius on Sony's part.

Also, I REALLY hope some Japaneese developers will finally jump in, I mean, they can't ignore a console in a beast mode, can they...?

Yeah, sure they can...

When you realise that two of the biggest new IP for next gen and biggest new IPs in general are being co-marketed with Sony and have PS4 hardware bundles it really shows that Sony did their homework.

Well this is actually really good I guess. I'm not very versed on financial greens so I'm guessing this is all good.

However I didn't notice any losses. Did they talk about that or did I miss it in translation?

This holiday season and the aftermath will be really interesting to watch. I'm still betting that PS4 will be on "sold out"-status in a lot of places at the end of the year. Hopefully they can turn the Japanese market around too so that those developers actually start investing in this console generation.

Those developers have already invested though:

SE has FFXV and KH3
Konami has MGSV
Capcom has Deep Down and RE7

Its just that they are taking so long.

People need reminding that FF13 came 3 years after the PS3 came out. The incompetence of these Japanese companies is outstanding.

The shares are up pre-market. I guess the market believes that Sony's forecast is conservative and that they will report an improvement in margins for this year and upgrade the forecast next quarter.

If they do I expect a net profit after tax of around ¥25bn for the full year and a FY2015 forecast of ¥230bn and reaching the long term goal of 5% net profit margins by FY2016.

Fezan

Xperia Z2 was all sorts of confusing when it hit the market. It was nigh impossible to get your hands on one in the short term. Reviewers were lukewarm but from a specs sense it stood above its peers.

aaa reviews were highly positive. The only issues were multiple delay and questionable build quality. Mine is with sony center for 6 weeks now due to water proof issue. they are blaming me and i am saying that this was fault in the phone.

Nikodemos

Which makes the 0.75 figure all the more impressive. Now I imagine at least 200k is PSP (developing countries and all) but that still leave 550k which is about the same as Wii U and probably more than 360 did and only a bit less than Xbone.
I don't think the PSP is that prominent. Sales have pretty much collapsed everywhere. The only credible reasons for buying one are replacement (for people with large UMD collections) and piracy (and w.r.t. piracy there are a lot of cheap second-hand PSPs floating around).

EGOMON

If 3.5M vs 1.1M is in NA, then what is happening WW?
Edit: Ok these numbers are WW, still very impressive

The shares are up pre-market. I guess the market believes that Sony's forecast is conservative and that they will report an improvement in margins for this year and upgrade the forecast next quarter.

If they do I expect a net profit after tax of around ¥25bn for the full year and a FY2015 forecast of ¥230bn and reaching the long term goal of 5% net profit margins by FY2016.

All according to keikaku. Kaz is turning it around slowly

SE has FFXV and KH3
Konami has MGSV

People need reminding that FF13 came 3 years after the PS3 came out. The incompetence of these Japanese companies is outstanding.

Yeah. :(

All according to keikaku. Kaz is turning it around slowly
Too slow for my liking. I think the markets have got it wrong, I want to believe that Sony will outperform their dire forecast, but there have been too many disappointments in recent history.

In the conference call they also mentioned they may have to write off some long lived assets and goodwill in the mobile division if their performance review leads them to exit the mid-range sector.

I think the ¥50bn net loss is a fair reflection, but there is some upside possibility and very little downside risk.

The other risk is that this year will be the peak profit for the TV division as Korean and Chinese competitors erode their profit margins in 4K. If that's the case then one year of profit after 10 years of losses is not good enough.

3:1 must be quite troubling. If current trends continue, how big do you guys think the gap will get?

For comparison the X1 is selling like a GameCube or N64 or OG Xbox. Maybe 12-20m lifetime.

PS4 could be at 10m entering the holiday season with major months ahead due to LBP, GTAV exclusive marketing / bundling, DriveClub and Destiny bundling and of course the white PS4 which everyone I have talked to loves. Besides those who just hate white electronics.

Could be @12m easy the start of 2015.

Gap could end up becoming 6-7:1 if something doesn't change fast. And really not seeing anything here to change the outcome

For comparison the X1 is selling like a GameCube or N64 or OG Xbox. Maybe 12-20m lifetime.

PS4 could be at 10m entering the holiday season with major months ahead due to LBP, GTAV exclusive marketing / bundling, DriveClub and Destiny bundling and of course the white PS4 which everyone I have talked to loves. Besides those who just hate white electronics.

Could be @12m easy the start of 2015.

Gap could end up becoming 6-7:1 if something doesn't change fast. And really not seeing anything here to change the outcome

I keep hearing this but I don't believe I've seen anything about it? Is this true, and do people have a source?

Man

SE has FFXV and KH3
Konami has MGSV

MGS5 GZ and FF14 are out at least. And Bloodborne early next year.

thuway

PlayStation will have to start doing the heavy lifting for the company. Now, more than ever, gaming is integral to Sony's bottom dollar. I wonder if internal studio investments will skyrocket.

The scarier thing is just how much they managed to screw up Mobile. Xperia Z2 was ripe to launch in North American markets day 1. Instead, it found itself late to every party imaginable. If they are serious at all about profit they need to hit world wide markets in unison.

Bravia profts are up, but we had the World Cup to help stagger them forward. I'm not optimistic about this division whatsoever. Great televisions that are overpriced and still lack naming conventions that make an iota of sense. Three models, three sizes (55,65,85) that's it. Destroy everything else.

Welfare

Those all sold between 20-35 million. OGBox sold 24 million in 5 years, I'm pretty sure Xbox One can outsell that. Wii U is the one that is likely to sell between 12-20 million.

gtj1092

14788909871_4db9b0d6fb_o.png

They're including digital sales since last FY so this is actually shipped+customer sale combined. I expect them to beat 400M SW sale this FY.

OK thanks didn't notice that. The OPs for these threads are usually formatted a certain way. Kind of sucks they combined all formats though.

Lionheart

I keep hearing this but I don't believe I've seen anything about it? Is this true, and do people have a source?
They did the same with the PS3 version and they showed the next gen GTA V trailer in Sony's press conference first. I also recall someone in the Sony conference saying that all of the games shown will have some kind of exclusive or marketing deal, but I'm not sure at what point they said it.

Top Bottom