• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q1: 3.5M PS3+PS4, 0.75M PSV/TV+PSP shipped

Nikodemos

In the conference call they also mentioned they may have to write off some long lived assets and goodwill in the mobile division if their performance review leads them to exit the mid-range sector.
They should exit low-end. Margins are crap and brand loyalty is nonexistent. The E1 is pointless. In fact, so's the C3 at mid-range. It's pretty much the same phone as the M2 with a larger screen and a gimmick (second camera+flash). They should keep a single mid-range phone, with the 4.8" display from the M2 and the C3's 720p resolution.

Oof, the difference is staggering. I just hope Sony doesn't get comfy with that lead, go for broke.
For comparison the X1 is selling like a GameCube or N64 or OG Xbox. Maybe 12-20m lifetime.
Wow, is it really that bad? Is there even anything else Microsoft can do at this point?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you look at the chart on the first page of this thread they seem to have made a lot of sales but the division lost money overall. It appears to be the only division that lost money.

I've an Xperia Z1 anyway and it's probably the best phone I've ever had, will not be going back to Samsung any time soon I reckon.

their portfolio is huge and they have tons of bloatware - but great industrial design, great cameras and still a good brand.

Cut back on the portfolio - stop releasing stuff like the Z3 before the Z2 is out, reduce your silly Sony services bloatware that nobody wants, to reduce your OS/software production costs (just ship basic android with a nice skin if you want), and keep the good stuff like ID and camera.

given the realities of jpn, Sony is positively nimble for a behemoth.
Sharp and Panasonic turned around much faster. Kaz is weak and won't do what is necessary until the very last moment. Sony should have sold VAIO in 2012 and Bravia shut down last year. Neither division has made a full year profit in 8 years.

He has also been far too lax with SPE failures, maybe the new strategy for Spider-Man is a good sign but again you never really know and until Avi Arad and Amy Pascal are chucked out of the SPE tent they will never find any success. The one area where those two have no involvement is TV and look at how well Lynton has done there without them. They are box office poison.

Not even a battle anymore.

2407970-2290299078-13543.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They should exit low-end. Margins are crap and brand loyalty is nonexistent. The E1 is pointless. In fact, so's the C3 at mid-range. It's pretty much the same phone as the M2 with a larger screen and a gimmick (second camera+flash). They should keep a single mid-range phone, with the 4.8" display from the M2 and the C3's 720p resolution.

M2 is a nice phone (bought one for my wife), but I was super confused and almost put off Xperias entirely trying to work out the differences between all their mid-range products.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
For comparison the X1 is selling like a GameCube or N64 or OG Xbox. Maybe 12-20m lifetime.

PS4 could be at 10m entering the holiday season with major months ahead due to LBP, GTAV exclusive marketing / bundling, DriveClub and Destiny bundling and of course the white PS4 which everyone I have talked to loves. Besides those who just hate white electronics.

Could be @12m easy the start of 2015.

Gap could end up becoming 6-7:1 if something doesn't change fast. And really not seeing anything here to change the outcome

Is this a joke post? The gap is not even 2:1 over all yet. 6-7:1 LMAO. Isn't Xbox around 5M vs PS4 close to 9.1M. And dont forget the gap was and is less than 2:1 during worse Xbox time. 500$, kinect and bad word of mouth. Its all changing slowly.

Jesus guys, we are not even in the first full year of console cycle. Stop writing off one big competitor. Everything and collection yu mention will only increase PS4 sales. But what about Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and almighty and mother of all the collection The Master Chief collection. Destiny and GTA are on both console, if marketed well, it might do 1.5:1 ratio. But nothing big.

They did the same with the PS3 version and they showed the next gen GTA V trailer in Sony's press conference first. I also recall someone in the Sony conference saying that all of the games shown will have some kind of exclusive or marketing deal, but I'm not sure at what point they said it.

A top guy in sony uk was saying that they have some exclusive stuff for gta v.

Presumably because it was announced on the Sony stage.

Generally: Third party announcement at a console maker's e3= exclusive content/marketing/bundles/total exclusivity.

Seems like there's something to it, but not anything concrete about the bundle then? Well, we'll see about it. Thanks.

Is this a joke post? The gap is not even 2:1 over all yet. 6-7:1 LMAO. Isn't Xbox around 5M vs PS4 close to 9.1M. And dont forget the gap was and is less than 2:1 during worse Xbox time. 500$, kinect and bad word of mouth. Its all changing slowly.

Jesus guys, we are not even in the first full year of console cycle. Stop writing off one big competitor. Everything and collection yu mention will only increase PS4 sales. But what about Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and almighty and mother of all the collection The Master Chief collection. Destiny and GTA are on both console, if marketed well, it might do 1.5:1 ratio. But nothing big.

People are talking about the sales of this particular quarter...

It might do 1.5:1 in the US, meanwhile outside the US it will continue to outsell the Xbox One 6:1 or worse.

Its all changing slowly.
and almighty and mother of all the collection The Master Chief collection. Destiny and GTA are on both console, if marketed well, it might do 1.5:1 ratio. But nothing big

Is Xbone creeping on PS4? June NPD was supposed to be the occasion and yet it was outsold by 70k. Destiny and GTA will basically be marketed as PS4 exclusives.

mrhej

It's weird how the PS4 is doing really well in the NA while in Japan it's barely selling over the PS3 every week. But I guess that's what happens when mobile gaming is huge in Japan.

Huddy

I think your overstating the worldwide audience of Xbox, outside the US and UK which may well end up with similar sold numbers at the very best end of the spectrum for MS, the rest of the world has historically favoured Sony consoles which could easily give it a 2:1 ratio or greater.

Your Delusional...

EagleEyes

Congrats Sony. I've got both new consoles and i'm definitely more of an Xbox fan but Microsoft is getting what they deserve at the moment. They totally screwed up the unveiling of the xbox one and made certain things priorities when they shouldn't have been like Kinect. Meanwhile Sony didn't do anything out of the ordinary with their new console and just sat back and watched Microsoft trip over themselves. Microsoft has nobody but themselves to blame for how the start of this gen has turned out. Gotta give sony credit for turning things around as well as they have so far.

jcm

I looked up the PS3 numbers for Q1 2007, and it seems like it was roughly in the same position as the X1. According to the source, it sold roughly .71 million in that Q1 time frame, and picked up considerably in the following year. I'm not saying that's going to be the case for the X1, but it's way too early to write it off completely.

http://www.play.tm/news/12089/worldwide-ps3-sales-at-448-million/

The question is whether MS is as devoted to Xbox as Sony is to Playstation. Sony burned many billions trying to salvage PS3. Is MS willing to do the same?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Destiny and GTA are on both console, if marketed well, it might do 1.5:1 ratio. But nothing big.

You said it yourself. XB1 is around 5 million and ps4 is around, possibly above 9.1 million. How you can go from acknowledging that to suggesting destiny and gta might do around 1.5:1 is beyond me. For a start, ps4 is around 1.8:1 in sales compared to the Xbox. On top of that, you have the exclusive marketing deal to further sway potential buyers. I could easily see destiny doing 2:1 on that alone.

Also, don't forget that a lot of people are waiting on destiny before purchasing a new system. That should further skew the figures in Sony's favour for the foreseeable future.

It's weird how the PS4 is doing really well in the NA while in Japan it's barely selling over the PS3 every week. But I guess that's what happens when mobile gaming is huge in Japan.

No its more like there aren't any JP titles being released there. Check back after the big seller release like FFXV.

Huddy

It's not exactly helped itself though with the lack of software for the Japanese market.

Sony really need to get Devs onboard, which may mean part of full investment of IP's to boost sales before others see the console viable and move away from PS3.

weeeeezy

Banned
The question is whether MS is as devoted to Xbox as Sony is to Playstation. Sony burned many billions trying to salvage PS3. Is MS willing to do the same?
The CEO stated that Xbox isn't going anywhere so I'm sure they are willing. MS is also in a much better position to support the Xbox then Sony is to the PS4. People keep talking about how great these numbers are for Sony but some folks still don't realize that the gaming division pulled in only $41 million, the second worst performing segment.

ethomaz

Banned
Amazing results for gaming.

> 2.4m PS4 shipped put it in worst case at 9.5m lifetime (7 million was sold... so I'm giving low 100k more for shipment).

To be fair I believe shipment is close to 10m already.

Domination. Gen is already over and now we can focus in the 2nd place battle.

X1 just came off a 500K-600K SHIPPED quarter.

And that is with some major releases during that quarter.

If that sort of trend continued it would put the X1 in the 3-4m a year range. Lets just give it the benefit of the doubt and say with the current numbers it would be around 5m each year WW. So, 5m x 4 more years would be another 20m which would put it lifetime around the OG Xbox / Etc.

When it comes to the console leader, generally the middle years are massive years with 20-25m units sold. So if you give Sony about 12m at the start of 2015, with an additional 12-15 sold for Y2, then 20+ sold for Y3/Y4 you would have the PS4 around the 70m or so mark by Y5.

Will it end up being like this? Dunno. I'm just throwing opinion out there based on the only facts we have, which are the actual numbers in hand. So yeh, 6-7:1 is hyperbole but it could very easily be WW overall 3 - 3.5:1 with many overseas regions being 7:1 or higher through the course of the generation. And lord knows what happens if the system becomes popular in China.

That's a good question. Microsoft has shown that they're not afraid of cutting away the fat of their business model, but with them recently doubling down on the message that Xbox is a game platform first I think they're willing to take a few bumps to keep that audience.

zeromcd73

The only brand new Japanese games on PS4 are a Yakuza spin off, a MGS demo, and Natural Doctrine which nobody liked or purchased. There are also big games still coming exclusive to PS3 like Persona 5, Tales of Zestiria, and Kingdom Hearts 2.5.

So not only are there no Japanese games to play, but there is no incentive to get rid of your old PS3 since its the one getting the bigger games.

PS4 could be at 10m entering the holiday season with major months ahead due to LBP, GTAV exclusive marketing / bundling, DriveClub and Destiny bundling and of course the white PS4 which everyone I have talked to loves. Besides those who just hate white electronics.

Could be @12m easy the start of 2015.

12M PS4s by the end of 2014 is actually a really low estimate. I'm expecting PS4 to be at 16-18M sold by New Years. I think Xbox One will have trouble breaking 8M by then.

Bgamer90

Banned
Domination. Gen is already over and now we can focus in the 2nd place battle.

Don't really think there is one (just like there isn't much of one for 1st place). While Wii U is currently above Xbox One in overall sales, the system is pretty much destined to be in last place in sales due to lack of interest and game support (due to terrible software sales).

QaaQer

That's a good question. Microsoft has shown that they're not afraid of cutting away the fat of their business model, but with them recently doubling down on the message that Xbox is a game platform first I think they're willing to take a few bumps to keep that audience.

you might want to read Satya's email again. They are doubling down on mobile + cloud while removing the word devices from the motto. xbox platform will find its future there.

jcm

Anyone know how much sony lost on ps3 turnaround in 06/07/08? $4 billion?

We don't know exactly, but the gaming division during those years lost over $4.5B dollars, at a time when PS2 and PSP were both likely profitable.

The CEO stated that Xbox isn't going anywhere so I'm sure they are willing. MS is also in a much better position to support the Xbox then Sony is to the PS4. People keep talking about how great these numbers are for Sony but some folks still don't realize that the gaming division pulled in only $41 million, the second worst performing segment.

There's plenty of room between selling xbox and spending billions of dollars to try to fix it.

So neither console has surpassed even 10 million sold through units but the gen is already over? LOL okay.

PS4 will reach it by Gamescom. Its over.

Ps4 will undoubtedly be the best selling console of the generation. MS's best bets are trying to get on par with the PS4 in US and UK.

Steroyd

If we're only talking about America sure, and that's exactly why MS is being "written off", for MS to slowly claw back marketshare they'll have to outsell the PS4 consistently in North America and the UK, they'd have to pull off a similar 2:1 sales ratio they did with the Xbox 360 in America just to reach sales parity worldwide.

And to put in perspective no Xbox One games was in the top 50 in Germany, and only 1 game in the top 100 which signifies the uphill struggle MS currently faces on a whole.

Top Bottom