• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom press conference; August 20th 7PM CET, 6PM UK

Donos

Here's famousmortimer's reply in the "Should Sony support Oculus Rift? thread:

Edit: Oh, already posted.

He also posted that Sony has a more suprising announcement at Gamescom than MS would have had with their leaked Indie strategy. This could be related.

KAL2006

Banned
Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Killzone Shadowfall Multiplayer reveal
The Order 1866 gameplay reveal
Everquest Next
Santa Monica new AAA action IP
Move game by London or Zindagi
Indie game by Giant Sparrow or Housemarque

The Last Guardian will be saved for TGS
Uncharted 4 and Guerilla Games new IP will be saved for VGAs
Media Molecule new IP will be saved for GDC

Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Everquest Next

This looks pretty good for VITA but sucks for PS4. They need to show both GG and SSM IP at Gamescom and leave ND for VGAs. TLG should be saved for TGS though.

He also posted that Sony has a more suprising announcement at Gamescom than MS would have had with their leaked Indie strategy. This could be related.

I hope not. I'd rather see more exclusives and usability stuff than Oculus Rift support. An OS demo would be really nice to see. It's hard enough to get people to wear 3D glasses at home... imagine trying to get them to wear a giant piece of headgear.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not expecting anything specific other than a release date, and perhaps a solid launch line up. New game reveals would be sweet, and Oculus Rift support would make me do back flips.

Nozem

One of these please, I'm not asking for much:

- Santa Monica new IP
- Guerilla Games new IP
- Naughty Dog game
- Suprise AAA game announcement

Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Everquest Next

I'd be happy with this. The Oder gameplay and Santa Monica game in particular. Make it happen, Sony!

They better deliver with Vita.

They really need to do this. Vita owners love the device obviously, but Sony needs new owners. I love my 3DS because of the games, but I would jump on a Vita if new games, lower price, new design, and cheaper storage happens.

$h@d0w

They'll be a Killzone Mercenary trailer in this I bet. It launches very close to the conference much like TLoU did for PS3.

Croyles

This isn't E3.

Also, how many versions of that GIF do we have!? Is there a Microsoft version?

*Sad trombone.

Gamescom is the biggest there is. E3 is still mainly a press event where the most important announcements are made, but for actual audiences Gamescom is huge.

*Sad trombone.

Gamescom is the biggest there is. E3 is still mainly a press event where the most important announcements are made, but for actual audiences Gamescom is huge.

This will be special compared to previous Gamescoms, I feel, with two consoles launching with many details yet to be revealed. I imagine Sony and MS will make more announcements at this one.

MM game is going to use Move. Probably not required, but it is going to have Move functionality.

Wonder if it's a PS3 game that got pushed to PS4.

Xater

I expect the PS4 release date to be announced there. It makes too much sense. Also new Vita bundles or a price cut. PS3 price cut probably as well.

I expect the PS4 release date to be announced there. It makes too much sense. Also new Vita bundles or a price cut. PS3 price cut probably as well.

No doubt Sony will be announcing a release date. PS3 price cut is important, too, as the current price looks garbage when you can buy a PS4 at $399. I think Vita announcements are most important, though.

Moobabe

Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Everquest Next

Looks legit, though I'd also add:

Price cut on Vita cards, phasing out 4gb, introducing a larger card maybe too
If no price cut on the hardware itself I expect to see aggressive prices in bundles - Vita + 8/16gb card + Killzone + 3rd party partner game = £160-£180
Maybe an extremely cheap PS3 bundle going into Christmas as well
And of course a PS4 release date

trmas

Banned
I would think GG's new IP may be announced at Gamescom, aren't they a European developer? I think Sony will focus on each region with their reveals, which is why I doubt we see anything more on The Order for now... Who are the European developers? Would get a better idea of possible reveals

TGS is where I expect them to simply kick MS all around the stage, though.

I agree we won't see what ND is up to until the VGA's, which sucks. Probably see SSM's new IP at the same time

KAL2006

Banned
I would think GG's new IP may be announced at Gamescom, aren't they a European developer? I think Sony will focus on each region with their reveals, which is why I doubt we see anything more on The Order for now... Who are the European developers? Would get a better idea of possible reveals

TGS is where I expect them to simply kick MS all around the stage, though.

I agree we won't see what ND is up to until the VGA's, which sucks. Probably see SSM's new IP at the same time

Ugh why do people keep assuming developers to do reveals in their own region. LittleBigPlanet was announced in GDC which isn't in Europe, Resistance 3 and Ratchet All 4 One was announced in Gamescom and they are American.

ReaperXL7

This isn't E3.

Also, how many versions of that GIF do we have!? Is there a Microsoft version?

E3 is not as relevant as it once was, important yes, but with all of the venues that announcements are made these days E3 is becoming a smaller piece of the pie. More major announcements have happend at the VGAs then have at E3 the past few years, and with Gamescom , PAX, Comic Con, First party events, etc it will only weaken E3 even more imo.

I definitely expect a price cut for the Vita and some few good games.I still pray for some good and high budget JRPG, like Type-0 HD.

As for PS4 I think Sony didn't reveal much on E3 because deep in their hearts they knew no DRM + price would be enough to impress everyone.

I have high hopes.

cornerman

why do people keep assuming developers to do reveals in their own region. LittleBigPlanet was announced in GDC which isn't in Europe, Resistance 3 and Ratchet All 4 One was announced in Gamescom and they are American.

It more than likely comes down to several things....what's actually ready to show, and what have they shown of their portfolio already. All these games are in various stages of development, I'm sure it has more to do with that.

shink

GT Vita pls.

I'm really not to fussed about what is announced for the PS4, I know good games will come from WWS eventually.

Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Everquest Next

I reckon it'll be massively different from this. And I doubt we'll see the SSM IP at GamesCOM. THAT is a VGA's announcement.

XDEV is teasing, it means it will be strong showing for partners from the EU.

PS4:

Release Date
Media Molecule's game
Housemarque's SSHD successor is a dead cert
Maybe another Quantic Dream tease
Some new partners we've not heard of working on PS4(PSN and retail)
Maybe a tease from Guerilla if you REALLY want to push it.

Ugh why do people keep assuming developers to do reveals in their own region. LittleBigPlanet was announced in GDC which isn't in Europe, Resistance 3 and Ratchet All 4 One was announced in Gamescom and they are American.

Because believe it or not regional relationships do exist, it's much easier to arrange something without involving connections at SCEA. Not that it doesn't happen.

And in this case, we've actually heard an awful lot about American Indies, and XDEV has had a similar push over here, so it will be a little more regional this time.

I reckon it'll be massively different from this. And I doubt we'll see the SSM IP at GamesCOM. THAT is a VGA's announcement.

XDEV is teasing, it means it will be strong showing for partners from the EU.

PS4:

Release Date
Media Molecule's game
Housemarque's SSHD successor is a dead cert
Maybe another Quantic Dream tease
Some new partners we've not heard of working on PS4(PSN and retail)
Maybe a tease from Guerilla if you REALLY want to push it.

What IS XDEV? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I don't think I'm actually familiar with it?

I think the rest of your predictions sound pretty spot-on, personally. Hopefully they bring some good stuff for Vita, though...

Mario007

What IS XDEV? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I don't think I'm actually familiar with it?

I think the rest of your predictions sound pretty spot-on, personally. Hopefully they bring some good stuff for Vita, though...
They are to European second-party devs what SSM is to American second-party devs.

cornerman

As for PS4 I think Sony didn't reveal much on E3 because deep in their hearts they knew no DRM + price would be enough to impress everyone.

I disagree. I think they held back because at the start of a new generation, everything is in various stages of development and everything is new. There's alot to show from 3rd party partners and you never want to reveal your entire hand in year one. There's always another show around the corner and gamers expect something new every time. We want to see everything, and once we see it, we immediately want something new to see.

They've shown Knack, KZ:SF, I:SS, The Order, some snippet of Media Molecule's project, Deep Down, and Driveclub. Then FF15, KH, WatchDogs, Destiny, Diablo, AC:BF, sports, etc...Then you've got indies. Its alot to show period. With all these games, all these partners that need to be represented, they don't need to blow the hinges off. Take into account that the competition, MS, is also showing multi-platform games (MGS5, BF4, CoD:G, etc)...and the noise and excitement is loud enough. All those games got folks excited, plus you see your opponents' hand. Now I think they do that sustained drip of games and news throughout the year. It'll always feel like they're bringing something new while outpacing the competition.

Stands for External Development. They supervise and assist on SCEE published titles developed by non-Sony owned studios, so everything from Heavy Rain to Table Mini Golf.

Thanks! I've only heard the term mentioned very recently, so I wasn't familiar with it. It's basically SCEE's second party division, then? Makes sense that they'd have stuff to show.

XDEV worked on the site where Studio Liverpool used to (as far as I know they still do). Semi-similar to ICE team, but for Europe really.

But to be fair it acts fairly similarly to the London HQ, but with more a techy slant. As far as I know, they still have business development (or strategic content, as Sony dubs it) guys up there. Looking for new partners to work with.

XDEV worked on the site where Studio Liverpool used to (as far as I know they still do). Semi-similar to ICE team, but for Europe really.

But to be fair it acts fairly similarly to the London HQ, but with more a techy slant. As far as I know, they still have business development (or strategic content, as Sony dubs it) guys up there. Looking for new partners to work with.

ICE Team Europe. Interesting. So they're probably the ones who support Quantic Dream a lot then, huh? That's the insinuation I got from BlackLagoon's response.

GameSeeker

SCE WWS need to bring their "A" game to Gamescom.

Sony had an outstanding E3 (price announcement, DRM message), but the Worldwide Studios' E3 showing was only mediocre. DriveClub received mostly negative feedback, Knack had mixed feedback, with only Killzone:SF being on the positive side. Infamous had probably the best showing of the SCE WWS titles, but it wasn't playable. Only one new game was shown, The Order 1886, which looked good, but given that it showed no gameplay, gets an incomplete.

If Sony is going to demo new builds of Killzone, Knack, and DriveClub, they better be "demo worthy" or it would be better to hold off till TGS. Obviously, many folks are anticipating some new game reveals and hopefully we will get more than the one game we got at E3.

Predictions

PS3
LittleBigPlanet 3
Sly 5
Until Dawn

Vita
Uncharted GA2
Assassins Creed sequel
Ghost Recon
Sly 5

PS4
Everquest Next

Maybe a little excessive. I would be very surprised if Guerrilla Games new IP is reveled this year. My guess is that Sony holds it back for next year's E3. It makes no sense to reveal a new IP when Killzone SF is in the release pipeline.

My best guess as to the big surprise from Sony at Gamescom would be a launch day PS4 version of the Last of Us. The game has proved extremely popular in Europe and a launch day port would leverage the buzz the game is still generating. They would honestly be stupid to not take advantage of this for the PS4 launch.

The VGAs will likely see a teaser trailer for the new SSM sci fi IP if it isn't at gamescom or a teaser from Naughty Dog.

ICE Team Europe. Interesting. So they're probably the ones who support Quantic Dream a lot then, huh? That's the insinuation I got from BlackLagoon's response.

It's not a brilliant analogy anymore (is the impression I get), as there's business development guys working out of XDEV too. People similar to Shahid, but their desks will be up there, instead of down South.

Top Bottom