• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom press conference; August 20th 7PM CET, 6PM UK

I'm gonna start hyping myself up critical levels, even Though I know I should keep expectations low. I atleast expect a launch date.
The Last of Us Ps4!

I was going to attend Gamescom with my buddy, already paid for the flight n stuff, then the UK immigration had to screw me over telling me i cannot go, sigh

Bundy

Banned
It begins:

8n3e.jpg

It's not a brilliant analogy anymore (is the impression I get), as there's business development guys working out of XDEV too. People similar to Shahid, but their desks will be up there, instead of down South.

Fair enough. Either way, here's hoping they've got some good stuff to show. Typically, European-developed games don't tend to do much for me, but that could always change.

Synless

August 20 is so far away. I want to know the release date sooner than that. Is this the first time we have had consoles so close to launch without a release date? I can't remember the last coupe of launches.

cornerman

Maybe a little excessive. I would be very surprised if Guerrilla Games new IP is reveled this year. My guess is that Sony holds it back for next year's E3. It makes no sense to reveal a new IP when Killzone SF is in the release pipeline.

I agree with that to some extent; I guess I'm of two minds. But provided these titles are different genres like we expect, it may not be that big of a deal to show it. The key is to show the variety in the portfolio, provided the game is capable of being shown in its current state, and of course the games' perceived release window. Its all money from Sony's perspective. A team is a team. They make great presentation games, so I can see Sony sitting on it during a big show. GG's Hulst has openly talked about this "other" game in development and it being shown sometime soon...so I don't think its outside the realm of possibility.

My best guess as to the big surprise from Sony at Gamescom would be a launch day PS4 version of the Last of Us. The game has proved extremely popular in Europe and a launch day port would leverage the buzz the game is still generating. They would honestly be stupid to not take advantage of this for the PS4 launch.

I actually think this is going to happen as well. My main reasoning is that the Last of Us has functionality to download in parts. Why add that for PS3 at this stage, if not for PS4.

The VGAs will likely see a teaser trailer for the new SSM sci fi IP if it isn't at gamescom or a teaser from Naughty Dog.

I think we'll get a couple of teasers (emphasis on the plurality) during the VGAs, these will setup the gameplay reveals for the following months.

That's... err... an opinion.

No love for GTA even?

It's not a categorical dislike of European games because they're European. There are just little elements that tend to be common among a lot of Euro-games that tend to chafe against what I'm interested in. I liked LittleBigPlanet and actually enjoyed Heavy Rain, but I'm not a big fan of pretty much anything Ubisoft makes. A lot of European games (even the really good ones) just tend to have a lot of jank built in because the developers got overly ambitious or artsy with their ideas.

Regarding GTA, I haven't enjoyed that series since San Andreas, and I'm not expecting things to improve with GTAV either. But that's wholly unrelated to it being European and more just based on GTA going in a direction I'm not interested in following it down.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Gamescom is going to be huge this year. I hope we learn more about that the other in house devs are working on and perhaps get a few more titles in the launch window.

I agree with that to some extent; I guess I'm of two minds. But provided these titles are different genres like we expect, it may not be that big of a deal to show it. The key is to show the variety in the portfolio, provided the game is capable of being shown in its current state, and of course the games' perceived release window. Its all money from Sony's perspective. A team is a team. They make great presentation games, so I can see Sony sitting on it during a big show. GG's Hulst has openly talked about this "other" game in development and it being shown sometime soon...so I don't think its outside the realm of possibility.

I actually think this is going to happen as well. My main reasoning is that the Last of Us has functionality to download in parts. Why add that for PS3 at this stage, if not for PS4.

I think we'll get a couple of teasers (emphasis on the plurality) during the VGAs, these will setup the gameplay reveals for the following months.

It could happen but I doubt Sony wants to blow its entire first 18 month catalog this year. They appear to be very well positioned for the launch as is. Microsoft overreacted to the 'core' reaction to the May 21st reveal event and showed a lot of 'core' focused games at E3. Some of them made no sense to show this early - I'm still scratching my head over the Black Tusk unnamed game they teased. This leads me to suspect that most (i still think there's a next gen Fable in the pipeline) of Microsoft's AAA core titles in development have already been revealed or teased and that a lot of what is left are more casual Kinect focused games. Sony likely won't need to counter any huge reveals by Microsoft till next year's E3 so it makes sense to not reveal too many games that are going to be released near the end of 2014. I would not be surprised to see one of SSM or ND not reveal their next gen games till next E3.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

The_Monk

Thank you for posting fellow GAFfer.

Can't wait for more news, games and gameplay videos. Not sure if I'm going to be able to check the latest news on those dates but if not I'm hoping to get updated with my GAFfers as soon as possible after the during and after the event.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony seems to show that years releases at e3, and sneak peeks at next year at gamescom. So I'm hoping for a good view of next years PS4 titles

KOHIPEET

I'm expecting a

-Vita price drop,
-Killzone demo,
-Driveclub demo,
-Infamous demo,
-new trailer from the Order,
-a teaser from SSM's new game,
-Gameplay from R&C: Into the Nexus
-Remote play demo
-OS demonstration (look and features)
-Indie games montage, along with a couple new announcements
-Possiblly a new announcement which is a new IP from a studio we don't really know about yet.

The fact that both MS and Sony will be holding a Press conference reinforces my thoughts about gamescom becoming bigger and bigger by the year. Which is a good thing. Now Japan, the US and Europe have their own big games events.

GeoramA

I know E3 was mostly a PR battle for Sony, but I was still disappointed that they announced only one PS4 exclusive (The Order)

They need to flex that first-party muscle at GC. And no more high profile PS3 games...time to focus 100% on Vita/PS4.

- Finally an NA release date, if not a Global Launch date.
- Some hands-on demos for the fans, hopefully with more polish than what was shown at E3.
- A few new PS4 games announced, but I would really like to have at least one new game announced that's actually releasing this year.
- Despite his absence, Microsoft will find a way to unleash a Mattrick-sized gaffe.

Usobuko

Banned
Did Sony and Microsoft hold a press conference last year? I think if I'm not wrong, Microsoft didn't show up for Gamescom, no?

Yasir

Just to let you guys know. Had a dream last night where Evolution announce and demo Oculus Rift support for DriveClub and then announce a new Motorstorm .......... for PS3. LOL.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MS announces: "we will launch Xbox One globally (in 13 countries) on November 22nd".

few hours later, Sony has their conference

"We will launch PS4 globally (like, properly globally - even Poland) on the 25th......of October"

I want to see a beefed up DriveClub demo, a quick reveal (a la The Order) of an as-of-yet unannounced first-party title and a release date.

Sony pls.

Top Bottom