• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

If they want Morpheus to take off and be the consumer face of VR, it needs to be competitive and priced as an accessory (which it is) rather than a system.

If they want Morpheus to take off and be the consumer face of VR, it needs to be competitive and priced as an accessory (which it is) rather than a system.

Yup, this. Surely they understand it will never gain any support from creators or developers unless there's an install base to work with.

Getting an install base outside the super hardcore/niche market means affordability - it's doomed to failure if it's anything higher than $199.

$149 is probably the absolute best we could hope for

Previous to PS Now I would have said no way it's that high. After PS Now pricing was revealed, I think it's going to be $599. They are going to price it proportional to their R&D costs and I bet R&D for Morpheus was pretty damn high.

Sony doesn't determine the pricing for PS Now

Portugeezer

Previous to PS Now I would have said no way it's that high. After PS Now pricing was revealed, I think it's going to be $599. They are going to price it proportional to their R&D costs and I bet R&D for Morpheus was pretty damn high.

Fuck PS Now. Look at PS4, a whole console for $400. They understood the importance of price, hopefully if they are serious about Morpheus they realise that Morpheus for >$250 won't be very popular.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys there's just no way they're going to get decent VR at a consumer level price for under $250. It will be closer to $300 or even more.

I'd bet a few dollars on it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Guys there's just no way they're going to get decent VR at a consumer level price for under $250. It will be closer to $300 or even more.

Let's do it. How much?

I don't even care but we need to become enemies over this to spice this stuff up!

Ready, set, go:

YOU'RE WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

Curufinwe

Yup.

I also think Morpheus will be more of a test run for a more advanced unit which will release with the PS5.

sörine

Banned
I disagree. These are the same people Apple is frustrated with for not wanting to pay for apps. They are unreliable, and not interested in spending money. I don't believe you can really capture them as they float from popular thing to popular thing.
So how did Wii tie ratios compare to PS4?

Portugeezer

I don't see it being that expensive. What would make it so expensive? They use Move tech, tiny high res screens aren't expensive.

Hoping for another Vita moment, surprise price.

I don't expect Morpheus to launch next year, as we get closer to 2015 we get a pretty good idea of all that's coming next year, minus the surprises. Morpheus needs killer apps, and I don't expect Sony studios to have them ready by holiday 15, unless the rest of the Sony studios that haven't announced anything yet are making VR games to be released alongside Uncharted 4. The timing just doesn't seem right. The Oculus CV1 will probably be released in Q3/Q4 2015, and it's gonna be very dry content wise at launch, like it always is with new products. They just started hiring people, and DK2 just came out. I think for Sony 2016 makes more sense when the VR platform is a bit more mature. I also expect Morpheus to be cheaper than CV1, it's likely gonna be lower screen res and Sony will be more able to subsidize. 149-199 dollars I bet. By then PS4 will long have received its pricecut to 299 in Q3/Q4 2015, and as I expect 2016 to be also the year of the PS4 Slim, they could do a Morpheus+PS4 Slim bundle for 399.

jiggle

2016 launch with a slim ps4
And ffviir

I don't see it being that expensive. What would make it so expensive? They use Move tech, tiny high res screens aren't expensive.

The package will have to include two move controllers and a camera

SerTapTap

I was thinking $399

No way it's as much as a PS4. $250-$300 seem possible. I'll pay whatever, personally, but don't want them to price so high it doesn't sell.

USD99 Sony. You know you want it.

Pretty sure the screen on my phone costs about that much, not sure that's feasible. That's a controller and a half, price-wise.

edit:
2016 launch with a slim ps4
And ffviir

The package will have to include two move controllers and a camera

Gonna need an unbundled version. I already have 1 move, 1 nav controller and a PS4 camera. They sold like a million PS4 cameras already, and that number's months old. They'll need a raw Morpheus unit SKU.

icespide

Banned

in retrospect the vita price wasn't that great when you consider how much the memory cards cost

johnny956

Considering how wrong people were with the 8gb and then everyone assumed the price would be $500 or more due to that I doubt they'll sell it for over $250. I would say $199 or less

Corto

VR is a completely new segment. Sony and Rift/facebook will try to wait for the competition to go out with a price and then undercut their price if possible. Even if by a small margin. This if Sony release Morpheus as a proper platform as I expect. If they're going for the PS4 accessory market then they need to sell it at a pretty good price from the start.

Makareu

If the PS4 turns out to be a mainstream success (something like 50%+ markestshare) in the long run, i could see Sony having no problem deciding to sell Morpheus with a decent margin.

My reasoning being that if it ends up with a 5-10% attachrate (due to enthusiast and/or wealthy gamers) it would still be a few millions units sold. Sony would maybe not cover their R&D, but it would act as a trojan and prepares the market for a future iteration while ps4 doing the job in terms of income. Because in the end i dont really see another way to promote a product that pretty much requires to be tested to understand what it offers. And best case scenario for Sony, Morpheus gets an awesome reception and price doesnt matter as much if it become a must have item.

Basically, i think that the more successfull the ps4 is, the less Morpheus has to be a right off the bat success, and the less its price will be tight.

Oh and on topic, congrats Sony for the early 10m.

noobie

Banned
If the PS4 turns out to be a mainstream success (something like 50%+ markestshare) in the long run, i could see Sony having no problem deciding to sell Morpheus with a decent margin.

My reasoning being that if it ends up with a 5-10% attachrate (due to enthusiast and/or wealthy gamers) it would still be a few millions units sold. Sony would maybe not cover their R&D, but it would act as a trojan and prepares the market for a future iteration while ps4 doing the job in terms of income. Because in the end i dont really see another way to promote a product that pretty much requires to be tested to understand what it offers. And best case scenario for Sony, Morpheus gets an awesome reception and price doesnt matter as much if it become a must have item.

Basically, i think that the more successfull the ps4 is, the less Morpheus has to be a right off the bat success, and the less its price will be tight.

Oh and on topic, congrats Sony for the early 10m.

I believe Sony will like it to have mainstream attention like Wii got due to its motion controller then it being popular in a niche of a hardcore market. Because in the end Sony is more interested in selling software of it rather than making money back on the hardware.

Also Sony also knows that second attempt rarely is successful. Kinect 2 failed to push the sales like Kinect 1 did for XBOX 360 in USA atleast. Also sony own MOVE controller (second attempt on motion controller after Wii) did fail to grab any traction in market.

So they should go all out in the first attempt and PS4 sales already are a trojen horse for the Morpheous and if the price is right, experience is good it can be very successful accessory for Sony.

coldone

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they did that!

Doesn't it remind us of Vita ?. Will they learn their lessons... god only knows.
I thought PSPGo was a good lesson and they will learn from mistakes. They went from crazy to complete insanity with Vita.

- Proprietary cable: CHECK
- Expensive Memory Card: CHECK
- Awful backward compatibility support: CHECK, CHECK. Still most of the best reviewed PSP games wont run on Vita.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, Morpheus sounds exactly like the Vita.

I can already see that Sony is cheapening out and we won't be able to explore the towns of Final Fantasy 7 in Virtual Reality. #BLOWNY

Where did he say SCE?

It definitely has over 10 million sellers and its only been out for 9 months.

Why are we even counting this?

I thought we were discussing first-party:

For the 3DS and the Wii U, Nintendo has 20 games that sold at least a million.

For the PS3 and the PSP Sony had 19 games that sold at least a million.

Therefore, Nintendo already has more million selling games this generation than Sony had last generation even with 100 million less hardware sold so far. That's why Nintendo has the best first party. Sony's strength is that PlayStation sells a lot more third party software than Nintendo's hardware can.

SerTapTap

Doesn't it remind us of Vita ?. Will they learn their lessons... god only knows.
I thought PSPGo was a good lesson and they will learn from mistakes. They went from crazy to complete insanity with Vita.

- Awful backward compatibility support: CHECK, CHECK. Still most of the best reviewed PSP games wont run on Vita.

The cable really isn't that bad--it's USB on one end so it's a minor annoyance at worst, the 3DS is actually worse on this.

I wasn't sure to expect backwards compatibility at all--the problem there seems to be licensing only, since if you downloaded those games during the "glitch" they're perfectly fine.

Now, the memory cards. I have no idea what on earth they were thinking. Complete absurdity. When the PSP used Memory Stick Duos SD cards weren't SUPER abundant, and mem stick wasn't all too much pricier. Now SD cards are dirt cheap, tiny, fast, and incredibly abundant--I have a couple I'm not even using, and I don't have digital cameras. WTF.

StoopKid

- Awful backward compatibi
lity support: CHECK, CHECK. Still most of the best reviewed PSP games wont run on Vita.

What does this have to do with project Morpheus ?

Also you left out the ps4 on the sony learning from mistakes.

Also how does vita have awful backward compatibility ?

I'd say $200 ~ $250 is definitely possible.

Nexus 5 costs $350, has 1080p touch screen, a quad-core arm processor with gpu, good amount of ram, good amount of storage, good battery, camera, bluetooth + wifi connectivity + 4G LTE, all miniaturized to a cellphone dimension.

By the time VR is available to public, phones like that will cost less than $250.

Haines

Banned
Interesting that everyone is talking about Morpheus price point. A bit ot isn't it?

I'm interested to see if ps4 sales stay strong as we enter holiday season soonish

paskowitz

I'd say $200 ~ $250 is definitely possible.

Nexus 5 costs $350, has 1080p touch screen, a quad-core arm processor with gpu, good amount of ram, good amount of storage, good battery, camera, bluetooth + wifi connectivity + 4G LTE, all miniaturized to a cellphone dimension.

By the time VR is available to public, phones like that will cost less than $250.

Ummmm smRtphones are subsidized. Nexus 5 is $350 w/o contract IIRC.

Ummmm smRtphones are subsidized. Nexus 5 is $350 w/o contract IIRC.

Nexus 5 is not subsidized. When you buy a Nexus 5, you are paying for the hardware in full, just like when you buy an unlocked phone. You're not required to enter into a contract with any service providers.

Edit: It seems like you and I are miscommunicating.

coldone

What does this have to do with project Morpheus ?

Also you left out the ps4 on the sony learning from mistakes.

Also how does vita have awful backward compatibility ?

So many of the best reviewed PSP games like Resistance etc are not officially supported on Vita.

PS3->PS4: Vast vast improvement, Night and Day better. Only thing that bugs me is the penny pinching mentality never goes away from Sony. They find a way to irritate loyal long term customers.
1) racing wheel & fight stick. Why do they need security chip and block the existing racing wheels ?.
2) The other issue is DS4. Why go from 1800mah on DS3 to 1000mah on DS4 ??. How much they could have saved.. may be $2 ??

PSP->PSGo->PSVita: Terrible. During PSP days, so many people complained about memory card and asked for SD card support. They just destroyed every good will PSP had. Vita is such a great gaming device, once you cross the mind-set hurdle and buy it. It is just Sony made a mess out of it.

My big worry with Morpheus is, Sony could penny pinch us
a) for longer cables
b) some random crap like memory card or battery pack.
c) needing some new move accessory instead of being able to use DS4 or PS3 Move/Navigation controller

ascii42

210 million systems were sold in the PS2.GCN Xbox DC generation. Only another 65 million were added in the Wii/PS3/360 generation. WiiU alone is going to drop that by 85 million units. Unless PS4 or One make up that difference you're already eating into the PS2 gens total. Long before Wii came in and was deemed a fad.

I agree with your overall point, but I do kind of think the PS2's extended life makes some of these comparisons tricky. 55 million or so PS2s were actually sold during the Wii/PS3/360 generation. (and likewise, 30 million or so PS1s were sold after the PS2 came out)

I will admit I don't know too much about mass distribution line cost cuts and their timetable but I can only envision the GDDR5 becoming cheaper and cheaper as PS4 manufacturing ramps up and GDDR5 video cards are ever more popular.

If they could shrink the die I'm sure a $100 pricecut would be easy but that is probably like 2017 I would think
Yeah, I'm no manufacturing expert either, but thinking about it more, $100 for holiday '15 could be doable. Originally, I'd been thinking XBone price cuts would be coming "soon," and that Sony could likely afford to respond with a $50 cut if need be. However, holiday '15 is basically two years out from launch, so $100 doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Hmm before the Feb reveal I would probably had said that Sony was going to be as conservative as possible with the PS4 design to ensure profitability in any circumstance and while they did make very conservative design choices in a lot of ways, they really surprised me with the 8GB GDDR5 decision as I imagine it was something of a gamble.

So I'm optimistic Sony is giving the Games division a little rope to play with
Yeah, they seem to have their shit together now, so hopefully they're given a bit of leeway where needed.

That is actually a great point I hadn't thought about. By lowering the price of the PS4, you can position Morpheus better. And considering the general niche that VR gaming sits in at present, trying to open it up to the mainstream will require all the positioning one can muster
Right, if they can announce them together, they're effectively giving prospective Morpheus buyers justification for lopping $100 off the price of the starter kit in their heads.

Technophile: So yesterday, I could get a PS4 for $400, and today I can get one with Morpheus for only $50 more??
Skeptic: Well, or you could get just the PS4 for $300.
Technophile: Umm, hello?? Virtual fucking reality!!

You think Morpheus will only cost $149? I was thinking between $199-$299.
Looking at the components, I think they can build the headset itself for about $100 in quantity. If we conservatively assume they pay as much as $50 to build the camera, that's $150. Throw in a pair of wands for $15, and Media Molecule's construction set and/or No Man's Sky, and you've got yourself a nice $200 launch bundle, which you could afford to bundle with a console for $150.

Of course, that all assumes they're willing to sell it near-cost. However, Shu indicated they think of Morpheus as a new platform rather than merely an accessory for the PS4, which would indicate they're at least considering near-cost pricing.

They may tack on another $50 to milk the early adopters, but keep in mind they're kinda sorta competing with Rift, and Zuckerberg indicated he intends to do most of his monetization on the back end, which would put more pressure on Sony to have near-cost pricing.

Anyway, we'll see. but I don't think it'll cost nearly as much to build as some people think. The display is by far the costliest component, and they're only like $60 in bulk today. In a year they'll be even cheaper.

BadWolf

Then they might as well not release it. There is little to no chance of it being a good success at that price range.

Bundy

Banned
599 bucks for Morpheus??
lol no! It would be insta-dead.

On Demand

Banned
ioi can't figure out where Sony is getting these numbers from so they won't update the figure. I assume he thinks they're lying. hahahahahahaha.

Go read his post on chartzzzzz for a good laugh.

Occam

ioi can't figure out where Sony is getting these numbers from so they won't update the figure. I assume he thinks they're lying. hahahahahahaha.

Go read his post on chartzzzzz for a good laugh.

I went there and looked up ioi's post. That's just embarrassing. Sony makes an official statement and instead of immediately fixing their guesstimates (which were off by 700,000 at the time of the announcement) ioi decides to publically humiliate himself.

Quoting the post here for future refrence.

ioi said:
On the subject of Sony's 10m announcement and adjustments and in an attempt to be fully transparent - until we can figure out where the "missing" 600k units have been sold then we obviously can't adjust the figures since they certainly aren't in the USA, Canada, Mexico and South America, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Benelux, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Russia, Australia, New Zealand or Japan in which our data is very accurate and lines up well with other data providers. Our estimates for the other regions (Middle East, Africa, Asia) are rough estimates based on trends seen with PS2 / PS3.

Our data for the regions we track as listed above for PS4 adds up to around 9.0m which should be accurate to +/- 100k. We estimate a further 140k in the Middle East and Africa and 290k in the remainder of Asia taking us to the 9.4m you can see on the homepage.

If Sony's numbers are to be believed as being accurate sell-through then clearly they have sold an enormously disproportional amount in one of those regions and once we know which one we can make the necessary adjustments. We can't just add 600k units to the total - we need to know which regions to adjust so we can ensure that we are on track moving forwards. This is why adjustments don't always happen straight away or sometimes not at all - we can't just randomly add sales here and there to make things add up!

The same goes for complaints about PS3 and 360 sales - until we can get hard data for regions such as the Middle East, Africa, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, China and so on then the best we can do is extrapolate based on general market trends and make best estimates for specific platform sales in those regions. If you wish to help and know of any reports or research in those regions then let me know and we can compare to our estimates and make adjustments as necessary.

smh

orochi91

I went there and looked up ioi's post. That's just embarrassing. Sony makes an official statement and instead of immediately fixing their guesstimates (which were off off by 700,000 at the time of the announcement) ioi decides to publically humiliate himself.

Quoting the post here for future refrence.

smh

Yikes. That's unfortunate.

Top Bottom