• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

Derpcrawler

exclusive timed DLC =/= a timed exclusive ENTIRE FUCKING GAME

In a game with only 4 plants and 1 area per planet, where you can run entire area in 2 hours (story + strikes) one extra strike kinda make a big deal. At it's core it's same anyway, platform holder pay cash to take content away from competitor. It's just that MSFT has much more money. If Sony would have more money, instead of timed exclusive indie projects I bet we would see much more 3rd party AAA titles. But they don't have enough money so they can only afford DLC.

In a game with only 4 plants and 1 area per planet, where you can run entire area in 2 hours (story + strikes) one extra strike kinda make a big deal. At it's core it's same anyway, platform holder pay cash to take content away from competitor. It's just that MSFT has much more money. If Sony would have more money, instead of timed exclusive indie projects I bet we would see much more 3rd party AAA titles. But they don't have enough money so they can only afford DLC.

No, it's not. It's just one strike mission. Comparing it to a whole game is utterly ridiculous. Would rather Destiny not come at all the X1? Would that be the same as loosing that one strike mission?

icespide

Banned

nice false equivalence there

Congrats to Sony, but I'm honestly kind of disappointed that the PS4 alone is selling so well. It still seems to me that while it's a fairly well thought-out console, it's nothing really special or unique about it. It's just very safe, which makes sense for Sony after the PS3. The 360 brought online interactions forward in a huge way, the Wii introduced a new control mechanism that caught on fire, etc. The PS4 is basically the market embracing "just do the same stuff as always + graphics/power!" I realize that both Nintendo & Microsoft completely fell flat on their face out of the gate, but at least they were trying to push the market forward in some way, even if both approaches were fairly misguided. I honestly feel like their mistakes is probably a huge contributor to PS4 sales. I'm happy that there's a good bit of demand for traditional games in the ROTW though.'

Umm...did you forget the whole PlatStation's virtual reality Project Morpheous?

Derpcrawler

No, it's not. It's just one strike mission. Comparing it to a whole game is utterly ridiculous. Would rather Destiny not come at all the X1? Would that be the same as loosing that one strike mission?

For me - yes, if I was Xbox only gamer I would feel left out, since I pay same for game and season pass, yet PS4 gamers get more. Especially with how little "story" content there is according to rumors.

In fact it actually tricked me to buy PS4 version instead of Xbox One version. If Sony can do that, why MS can't? It's same as complaining why Dead Rising 3 is not coming out on PS4 even though it's now releasing on PC.

Oh, my bad, I thought we were still talking about sell through. My argument was that since the Wii was selling out within days of shipments arriving, that since they shipped 11m+ in the same time frame the install base has already crossed streams.

I was thinking about that and while I imagine Wii's sell through rate in comparable timeframe for what they shipped would most certainly be quite a bit higher than Sony's, I'm not sure if I'm so ready to accept it was 100% albeit it was incredibly difficult to get a Wii before early 2008 I think. Hmm

icespide

Banned
For me - yes, if I was Xbox only gamer I would feel left out, since I pay same for game and season pass, yet PS4 gamers get more. Especially with how little "story" content there is according to rumors.

In fact it actually tricked me to buy PS4 version instead of Xbox One version. If Sony can do that, why MS can't? It's same as complaining why Dead Rising 3 is not coming out on PS4 even though it's now releasing on PC.

are you really trying to argue that some timed exclusive DLC for a new IP is the same as a timed exclusive sequel to a multi-platform game?

also, I don't think anyone is actually trying to argue that the exclusive DLC is a good thing, merely that a money-hatted timed exclusive sequel to a multi-platform game is worse

iCHPsBlrPWnqA.gif

/dead, then resurrected just to /dead again.

Square Enix! I hope you enjoy the 15 million milestone when it's announced before your game comes out, note, without a year or so headstart.

Is the combined sales of xbone + wiiu + ps4 more than the first 8 months of wii + 360 + ps3?

I'm more interested in next gen adoption and overall home gaming growth.

Derpcrawler

Apples and Oranges.

nice false equivalence there

Wait, you still defending the argument of the guy who pretty much said "I hope the game will fail badly, would be GREAT", even though it's 99% timed exclusive with up to 6 months of exclusivity and as worst case scenario you get better version possibly with all the DLC during summer when there is usually no good games anyway? For realz?

It's Win/Win for Microsoft and SE. Tomb Raider doesn't stand a chance at competing with UC4, that way they avoid competition, get fat MSFT moneybag and sell their game when there is drought in summer, just like they did with DE.

MS funded DR3, no one has an issue with that. They moneyhatted TR, that's the issue.

/dead, then resurrected just to /dead again.

Square Enix! I hope you enjoy the 15 million milestone when it's announced before your game comes out, note, without a year or so headstart.

15 million? By the time TR is out late 2015, the PS4 will probably be closing in on 30 million. Sony will hit 15 million before the year ends.

Expected, but still amazing (see comparison Aquamarine made with Wii shipments).

I think 20 million by the end of the year is crazy, so I'm guessing for about 17-18 million.

Anyway, Sony, give us a press release with software sales as well, pls.

Indeed, it's more impressive if you consider PS4 is comatose in Japan:

Wii U shipments by June 30 2007:
Japan: 2.95 million
Outside Japan: 6.32 million

PS4 sales to consumers by August 12(?) 2014:
Japan: 0.65 million
Outside Japan: over 9.35 million

Wii U shipments by September 30 2007:
Japan: 3.67 million
Outside Japan: 9.5 million

Fiscal year or calender year?

Wow the WiiU launched very early and is selling very good :p

Guys, don't you see?!? Everything is the same! These two things are totally identical!

They're similar enough.

People were feigning concern for Respawn and their grave mistake of going exclusive to the XB1. It seems to have worked out just fine for them, with the team expanding, etc.

Now we've got people feigning concern for Crystal Dynamics, and the grave mistake Square has made going exclusive to the XB1.

I'm already looking forward to a full 18 month cycle of concern posts regarding TR.

Freeman

Banned
With double the install base Sony is disappointing me with their lack of aggressiveness.

Bloodborne was the only megaton we got all year long other than we got mostly delayed games and third party multis being bought by MS.

They promised greatness... where is it?

Kosma

Banned
They're similar enough.

People were feigning concern for Respawn and their grave mistake of going exclusive to the XB1. It seems to have worked out just fine for them, with the team expanding, etc.

Now we've got people feigning concern for Crystal Dynamics, and the grave mistake Square has made going exclusive to the XB1.

I'm already looking forward to a full 18 months of concern posts regarding TR.

Im pretty sure Titanfall will never be THE next gen shooter now because EA shot themselves in the foot.

Destiny is taking the crown now and Titanfall 2 wont change that

MS funded DR3, no one has an issue with that. They moneyhatted TR, that's the issue.

15 million? By the time TR is out late 2015, the PS4 will probably be closing in on 30 million. Sony will hit 15 million before the year ends.

I'm trying to be modest here.
6797317887_a4a4b82726_z.jpg

Well deserved and happy to see the PS4 selling so good.

And its not selling because of some games, its selling because of the concept behind it: powerful hardware (for a console), no useless gimmick and no screwing over the consumer in form of online drm.

They're similar enough.

I'm already looking forward to a full 18 month cycle of concern posts regarding TR.

But like I said, Respawn did make a mistake. They wanted to make the next CoD, something that's probably impossible (and they didn't even get close). Have they even outsold KZSF?

So yes, shackling TR to X1 means SE is practically undoing the good job they did reviving it. Am I concerned for TR's fate? Well, I enjoyed the first one so it's sad to see, but no, I'm not really all too "concerned"

Cels

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, lol; what's the joke?

That it looks terrible (the shitty rain and campfire) because it's going to be on the less powerful platform?

no it's just that lara is sad and lonely in the rain

Kosma

Banned
I'm feeling pretty stupid right now, lol; what's the joke?

That it looks terrible (the shitty rain and campfire) because it's going to be on the less powerful platform?

Because its coming to a platform that is getting pummeled in sales, SE was already bummed at the sales og the first one but it wont sell better now for sure since the sales are on Playstation

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
12M by Sep 30, possibly more (Destiny, white PS4)
8M after that, in the biggest season of the year. PS3 had 5M in its first full holiday season and often sold ~6.5M in this Q and PS4 is way more popular.

That actually makes perfect sense

Gator86

They're similar enough.

Shackling Titanfall to the Xbox platform absolutely stunted its growth. Respawn missed out on 90 million potential customers with the original title launch. That's a lot of missed mindshare. Selling a couple million titles is no small feat, but when COD-level sales is the goal, and it definitely is EA's goal, that's not cutting it.

By the time Titanfall 2 launches they'll have to deal with COD aping a lot of their mechanics, the next mainline Battlefield, and the burgeoning Destiny juggernaut. And they'll have to do it without an established fanbase on Sony consoles and the absurd level of media hype the first one had.

So maybe it wasn't a grave mistake on their part but they definitely undermined the long term success of the franchise for a handout from MS.

12M by Sep 30, possibly more (Destiny, white PS4)
8M after that, in the biggest season of the year. PS3 had 5M in its first full holiday season and often sold ~6.5M in this Q and PS4 is way more popular.

That sounds insane, I don't think it's possible... heck, I don't think Sony could supply enough consoles. I'm personally going with 16 million, 17 max. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Top Bottom