• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

spwolf

Seeing as Sony is known to fund these kinds of games all the time I'm surprised they didn't just fund it out right instead of using Kickstarter. I don't like this.

what games exactly? I guess some people think Shenmue is a cheap indie game.
Original Shenmue in 1999 was most expensive game at that time, it took 47-70mil to develop.

kswiston

I don't like where capitalism 2.0 is going.

Why?

Honestly, there have been a bunch of games from established developers to go through Kickstarter now. Most of them require outside funding, either from the studio itself or from investors. What this Kickstarter does is A) signal that there is interest in a Shenmue sequel, B) give huge fans a chance to either get the game cheaper than it will likely retail for or to grab a bunch of cool Shenmue media/swag that wouldn't exist otherwise, and C) have some input on the creative process.

I'm not really seeing a downside. People have waited close to 15 years for a Shenmue 3 announcement.

Nanashrew

Banned
This isn't new, Yooka and Bloodstained are the same thing. Mighty No 9 has a publisher too though I'm unsure if it was announced before/during the KS.

They at least clarified in their Kickstater that they have a publisher. There was nothing at all on Shenmue's KS page about any of this at all.

Did people actually think a game of the scale of Shenmue could be funded with 2 million?

Of course they needed a publishing partner

Edit: Beaten like a kickstarter target

JP

I still the $2 million Kickstarter target is more to show Sega how many people want to see the games get a remaster on console and I'd be surprised not to see that happen somewhere between 6 to 12 months before this is released.

Corto

I don't see this as a binary choice.

But maybe Sony or Yu did. It's an old franchise that failed spectacularly to recover the millions used to fund its development. Any sane publisher in this day and age would be crazy to write a blank check for Yu to use in the funding of a proper Shenmue sequel. And Yu would want a proper budget to create the sequel his creation and its fans deserve not a shoestring budget for a forgettable game.

its Sony so its fine

thats how it works these days right?

I think using Kickstarter to gauge fan interest and secure additional publisher funding is totally fine and I would be happy if other passion projects for cult or niche games did the same thing. If I could donate $300 somewhere to get Resident Evil Outbreak remade or something, trust me I would.

Nobody actually thought Shenmue III would cost $2m to develop, did they?

What I'd like to know is what the hell was the point of the Kickstarter?

Are gamers paying for PR now?

Paying? Lol. So those people who purchase enormous items that they probably would of been gouged out on Ebay for is now PR?

I have no problems with this approach to such niche games like Shenmue. The fans proved that they're willing to vote with their wallets, hence the game is happening.

Klossen

Banned
That's what I don't get. It's like trying to prove a point that didn't need to be made. This idea that people needed to prove their love of Shenmue with some $2 million dollar goal that would be super easy to reach is strange.
People were before E3 saying that a Shenmue KS would never have even reached a one million dollar goal. Sony had to gauge consumer interest in some way before committing the big Benjamins. It's understandable given Shenmue's commercial history.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Very scummy move, I understand why people want Shenmue 3, but they shouldn't support this way of business.

No, we should continue to support risky business that has been known to tank more developers than any other art/entertainment industry.

I think both risks are merited. Nothing wrong with this. They do not force you to fund it. If it does not get any Kickstarter interest, then it shows the game would have been a flop more than likely.

Love the revisionism. There was tons of doubt that any hypothetical shenmue kickstarter would be successful. Sega fans heard that bullcrap for years, since Yu Suzuki first started mentioning interest in the platform.

Oh hey you're back! Welcome.

Alright, let me clarify. To ME there was never any doubt that this would raise $2 million in 31 days. Cult hits/spiritual successors hit that level of funding all the time. It's not revisionism on my end because after seeing what gets funded on kickstarter there was never a reason to believe it wouldn't make it

HeelPower

Didn't the original cost millions and go on to become one of the most expensive games ever made ?

Yeah, this needs bigger legs than kickstarter.Way bigger.

NevaNopa

I don't mind the "gauging interest" approach to Kickstarter, but one thing I don't understand is the economics of it. The most passionate fans who are donating to the Kickstarter are already going to receive a copy of the game. Are they just assuming there are a lot of other fans, that aren't contributing to the Kickstarter, who will buy the game at its time of release? How else do they justify piling on more funding?

Compsiox

Banned
A petition is meaningless. Anyone can spend a few minutes and type in some info and be part of a petition. They wanted to see if people would actually buy the damn thing. It's not like Dark Souls where the petition helped get a port, this is instead seeing if the game can actually be successful out of the gate.

You just said my point.

Shengar

I expressed my disagreement with the way things were being handled in the Salsa thread, and this confirmation just strengthens what I felt: this game didn't need a Kickstarter in the slightest, Sony could make it happen either way. The goal set for this game in the KS page probably won't cover 5% of the costs involved in the project, especially if they want to stay true to the high quality production bar the franchise set back in the day. People giving tons of money may feel like they are actually making this happening, but they are really not, Sony is.

But yay, Shenmue 3.

It could be a message that the fans are the one who make this possible in the first place. If Shenmue fans aren't so persistent, I doubt Sony will funded it in the first place. This kickstarter, is just a symbolic proof of that.

GWX

It's kinda stupid of Sony to help fund the game when it's also going to be on a different platform.
First with SFV and now with Shenmue. Sorry but these titles don't count as exclusives lol

They give money to companies so they get exclusive betas.

ironcreed

Banned
Very scummy move, I understand why people want Shenmue 3, but they shouldn't support this way of business.

Scummy in what world? They let the fans be a part of helping and the response was overwhelming. Now Sony is going to jump in with the rest. The game is going to be made and we all win.

autoduelist

I really hate this "use a kickstarter to gauge interest" approach that's been going around.

Makes perfect sense to me, and a natural side-evolution of kickstarter.

Kickstarter is -why- we're having a renaissance of beloved franchises coming back - from the wastelands to the planescapes to bard's tales to dozens of other direct sequels and homages. This is a good thing -- no, a great thing.

Nanashrew

Banned
what games exactly? I guess some people think Shenmue is a cheap indie game.
Original Shenmue in 1999 was most expensive game at that time, it took 47-70mil to develop.

Sony is known for funding many weird, different and/or divisive experiences and Shenmue is very much that.

Love the revisionism. There was tons of doubt that any hypothetical shenmue kickstarter would be successful. Sega fans heard that bullcrap for years, since Yu Suzuki first started mentioning interest in the platform.
There was tons of doubt that a 2 million kickstarter for Shenmue III would fail? I don't remember that at all.

Respawn

Banned
Seeing as Sony is known to fund these kinds of games all the time I'm surprised they didn't just fund it out right instead of using Kickstarter. I don't like this.
Use your brain. The fans cried for it and it was either put up or shutup. Gauge interest. Why fund something if no one even cares if it exist? Be glad the damn game is even coming and its coming to a PC near you also. They are actualling funding a PC version. Would you believe that? :/

Seanspeed

Banned
They should explain this but is laughable beliveing that they would only need the kickastarter money when the first two games were are expensive to made...
Very true, but this assumes everybody would be aware of the finances of the previous games or of gaming in general.

If I've learned anything at all over the past few years, its that your average gamer does NOT understand the budgeting of a top class video game.

this might influence the rest of the kickstarter days

Maybe just the $5 tier. Everything above that is the game and bonus stuff that people want. I doubt many people care where the extra funding is coming from. 2 million was never going to be the full budget for this game anyway. There was going to be additional funding from somewhere...

Top Bottom