• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
If I read "GAF complainers got Shenmue 3 cancelled because the approach didn't feel right" tommorrow I will blow up NeoGAF servers.

Honestly I'd drop this site if that happen lol. It's not though. The people complaining are a very very small minority.

mrlion

-_-

Can't even believe I'm explaining this. Makes me wonder if some of the people know why they are giving money on kickstarter projects to begin with...

There's a reason why the website Kickstarter is named such. Crowdfunding is used to kickstart a project that otherwise wouldn't be able to be funded by investors without knowing if there is interest. You are not investing in the project. You are giving two things:

1) Raising funds for the project in order to kickstart what the project has. Yooka-Laylee, for example, already has assets way before they even thought out the Kickstarter campaign.

2) Giving interest to the game. Same example, Yooka-Laylee wouldn't be a reality if people didn't give interest in it to begin with.

Just because there is a project funded in Kickstarter doesn't mean its fully funded. There is outside sources that the company must get in order to get more funds. The only difference is, when they pitch their ideas they have their Kickstarter project to back up their research. Yes, believe it or not, a video game when its being developed needs research. How much can the game make in profits? Will it break even? How many people are interested in the game? How many would actually buy it.

Which is what Shenmue 3 is doing. To us, we think its idiotic that Sony doesn't think highly of this project because we know what Shenmue is and we are hardcore gamers. To them, they want to know how much interest there is in the game before they give out checks to Yu Suzuki. There hasn't been a Shenmue game in literally 15 years. No one knows if people are interested in the game or not.

You guys act like Shenmue 3 is the first project that does this. Every single project you fund in Kickstarter does the same damn thing. Not sure why there's doubts about this.

edit: thank you ^^^^ hopefully people will stop making fool of themselves now that they know how it is.

That was the "something" to gauge interest.

People actually voting with their wallet is more accurate than people claiming they will buy a game.

3e19b17f17fe977ac5c53f8eb2d963f1.jpg

Have some of you lost your effing minds!? I am at a loss for words. The fuck is going on here? This is Shenmue 3 for Christ's sake.

Who cares how it got funded. I am getting my dream game after all these years. Stop fucking destroying the hype and good will. I can just see this mothballing and gaming websites reporting it spreading like misinformation fire storm. Please don't anyone pull your pledges. We need more backers to give this game the maximum funds possible.

Why would you hate this? Why do you want to take away my perfect game from me and other fans after the hell we have been through to finally get this to happen?

I am shaking in anger and tears are streaming down my face.I have lost all hope at some modern gamers today.

yup, what a poisonous bunch

Raonak

Banned
Thought that was pretty obvious.

It's a dormant IP which had previous entries bomb completely. Sega sure as hell won't fund it. Sony wants to fund it, but unsure how much money they should put into it. this kickstarter was used to gauge how much money they will pump into the project.

But now that the KS has been a massive success, it's highly likely the game will get a substantial funding increase from sony.

It's a much better idea than reviving shenmue only to give it a tiny budget because they're unsure how it's gonna sell.

klee123

Haha, Sony the sly bastards.

In a sense I guess it's similar to Bloodstained, except Sony more actively involved with the PR.

Corto

I suspect that we will start to see more Kickstarter stuff like this as consumers become more immune to (or irritated by) extensive pre-order campaigns. "Give us your money now or this game might not ever exist!" gets certain people to really open up their wallets without questioning value.

That will only work for very specific projects. People won't rush to the "pay" button to fund Call of Duty Black Ops 10, or Madden 2017. And it will also depends on WHO is at the front of the project. In this case we are talking about Yu Suzuki the original creator. If for example Ubisoft tried to Kickstart Beyond Good and Evil 2 through kickstart WITHOUT Ancel it would crash and burn.

Donthizz#

Explain? Why is this going to happen with No Man's Sky.

Why does it need to be kickstarted? Why does a game already in development with a pending release need additional backing?

Or was this post mean to be disingenuous.

Andrew House I believe said that Sony is going to treat NMS as a one of their first party titles.

since HG is a very small studio I won't be surprised that Sony is already helping them with the game to bring it out sooner.

It's a guess really. I won't be surprised like other people here.

if Sony really were in it to pull a fast one, wouldn't they just wait until the kickstarter closed so you couldn't cancel your pledge with no consequence?

I don't think they have thought their plan all the way through...

I think Sony should disclose on the page they are an investor. It would make people more likely to donate. It has a real developer and larger budget behind it whereas right now it just has senior staff. I'm all in favor of transparency but right now I'm not clear how having extra information would actually alter decision making. Like if you knew Sony was investing before would you not?

Seems more like an ethical concern over risk sharing than one over transparency, which seems more academic. But I am happy to be wrong.

But i only have 31 days left to cancel my pledge!

FranXico

3. Most importantly, by presenting it on a very public stage with Yu on hand, it guaranteed that the Kickstarter would be funded, credible, and attention garnering. How do you drum up interest in a dead franchise? You create headlines like:
"Sony reaches $2m Shenmue III game target on Kickstarter within hours"
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33144515
"Shenmue 3 becomes fasted game to raise $1 million on Kickstarter"
http://www.theweek.co.uk/64011/shenmue-3-becomes-fastest-game-to-raise-1m-on-kickstarter

First sentence of the second article you linked to:

The third instalment of Sony's acclaimed Shenmue series has become the fastest game to raise $1m on crowd-funding website Kickstarter.

*sigh*

hawk2025

The number of backers is going up almost as fast as the number of posts in this thread :)

I think Y2Kev has hit on the real interesting discussion here, which is about risk-sharing and the actual implications regarding that for this Kickstarter.

All the stuff about "pulling a fast one" is just completely irrelevant to this discussion.

NahaNago

this is kinda weird it seems like a lot of kickstarters get outside help or in the process will get outside help cause generally they won't get enough and the money they do get is just to get the ball rolling along a bit further. This is simply the first time we actually hear of a company actually saying hey were actually backing this product as well.

Try telling this to the guys who tried to Kickstart a successor to Eternal Darkness, a game many people love and said they wanted a sequel/spiritual successor too.

They failed to raise even $100,000. Twice.

Words are cheap and Sony/Ys Net know this. The kickstarter is now an actual data point that they can take to their bean counters and say "Hey look at these records we just fucking broke overnight. We're totally contributing to this to get a PS4 version!" instead of empty promises from message boards.

Absolutely agreed. Heck, even here on GAF many were critical and stated that Shenmue 3 wouldn't even raise 50-100,000 dollars when people were suggesting the idea of a Kickstarter.

Mitigation of risk on to consumers in this way reminds me of citizens mitigating banks' risks by having their taxes bail them out.

Blearhghgh

Except for the banks it's now a nearly a priori way of business.

Hated it in the 80s and it's just gotten worse.

How are they not a public utility at this point? Fuck em.

Krejlooc

Banned
which you've seen trailers for, a preview and you have an ability to cancel before release, here after 31 days all you can do is dream for years, the game is ambitious, it's not going to happen overnight. Hell, Pillars of Eternity had a year of dev and thats 2D game.

I saw a trailer for Shenmue III

I've read a preview by Yu Suzuki

I have the ability to cancel

Are you seriously implying that some people don't know what they're getting when they back shenmue III?

border

Try telling this to the guys who tried to Kickstart a successor to Eternal Darkness, a game many people love and said they wanted a sequel/spiritual successor too.

They failed to raise even $100,000. Twice.

Shadow of the Eternals had $350,000 in pledges when it tanked.

The project was a completely sketchy mess and it was obvious that they were not being completely forthright and would promise anything to get funded.

I kinda figured with them showing Shenmue at E3 at Sony's conference that they were going to fund it to some degree. So it's not a total shocker, if anything I'm glad, it means it'll be more fleshed out. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've played/seen the other Kickstarter games that have done well, some are good, but they really need more content sometimes. With Sony stepping in, I think that allays my fears on that front.

Oh and I never played either Shenmue, only my friend did. I had a Dreamcast and never did for some reason or another, don't know why at the time. But my friend was/is a huge fan of Shenmue, so for him, I just backed it. It's already funded, and Sony is helping, but damned if I don't support this kind of endeavor.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah the slippery slope notion that consumers are mindless drones who dump their money into any future campaign is noted. No one is buying it.

Right? I think a lot of us are intelligent enough to see through that.

*looks at thread*

I retract my statement. A lot think we are mindless drones.

BIGWORM

I think Sony just wanted to gauge the public's interest with that Kickstarter. Seeing how fast it was funded in less than 24 hours got Sony off of their ass.

They should have taken a different approach to this. Feels dirty if they truly are taking money to match a publishing offer. This is why I don't kickstart.

I would've appreciated more transparency. For instance bring Yu on stage and tell him we believe in you and Shenmue so much we'll match every dollar you kickstart. Instead they say only you can save Shenmue put up or shut up.

Pikma

Banned
I get this is the real reason for people being upset rather than the concern posts on the game's funding.
Stop reading too much into the mention of a different console, it doesn't make you look smart or anything, it reads more like a lazy "get out of jail free" card kind of argument than anything else.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Honestly, I am actually quite surprised that gamers actually want Shenmue 3 in huge demand.

Shenmue 1 did just over a million sales, right? Shenmue 2 did probably what.. 1/3rd of that?

Part of the reason we didn't have Shenmue 3 already was because nobody bought 2. I'm the only person I personally know who even played the game.

..and no offense, if you didn't play Shenmue when it came out.. I'm not sure how a gamer new to the series would probably even enjoy the game all that much. It's pretty dated by todays standards.

I just would feel better about the KS if they were upfront about the funding.

Quazar

To be fair, you get a game, and Sony gets a flop. (I kid, hope it sells a lot. )

I think this Boils down to MS fans being upset. I want Shenmue 3 but I really don't care for kickstarter.

hawk2025

The project was a completely sketchy mess and it was obvious that they were not being completely forthright and would promise anything to get funded.

And somehow having Sony's backing, which makes this much more legit, is... not ok?

Do you have a concise, precise thesis behind the stuff you have been posting, or are you just kind of winging it?

EulaCapra

Well I take back what I said about Sony letting the Shenmue 3 announcement at their press conference and not directly help funding just for applause and internet sensation. That initially rubbed me the wrong way but this is a +1 for their press conference.

Some people just dont like the concept of kickstarter and with a big company behind the project now they obviously also dont like it.

Also just because it is a game they were waiting on forever doesnt just throw their concerns out of the window. While there are probably people in the thread that want to stirr things up so to say, there might be people that really have doubts. Telling those people "who cares we finally get shenmue 3 how can you have concerns" or stuff like that obviously also doesnt help.

Thats what I think atleast

No, that's pretty much where I'm at. You're right. I'm not a fan of Kickstarter and I think it's helpful to critically look at and discuss the Kickstarter process, and being accused of being a salty fanboy or just looking at everyone scream "NO THIS IS MY DREAM GAME EVERYTHING IS FINE" isn't really helping me feel better

And it's not other people's jobs to make me feel better, but c'mon. This is a forum to discuss stuff, not just be a circular hype engine

lunlunqq

I think there is definitely more to it than just "gauging interests." The IP was in Sega's hands. If Sony were to go in together with Mr. Suzuki together and ask Sega for the IP, what do you think Sega would do? Just hand it over to Sony without asking for a hefty price? Most likely not....

So the plan is that Mr. Suzuki went for the IP as an independent developer. Then Sony and Mr. Suzuki's studio put up this show to mask their original intention to co-develop the title from start. I think this may be part of the reason why this happened.

Kindred Dread

Neo Member
There are people that don't get how this works/why they're kickstarting even with Sony funding it? I was about to ask if NeoGaf was seriously made of kids, but then I realized that was an obvious question.
Now, I'd really like to know what Sega's hand in all this is- they own the IP, do they not?

I'd really like to see an HD re-release of Shenmue 1 and 2 on one disc for PS4 and a Steam release as well. They're only available on either obscure or old consoles anyway. It's perfect. It must happen.

kevm3

You're getting a copy of the game if you put down your money, so I don't understand what all the complaining is about. So would we rather have Sony NOT pitch in any extra funding so you can feel like you actually funded the game on your own and get a worse product?

So consumers are generally smart enough to know projects that are realistic, have a solid foundation and put their money down if they want the game bad enough.

I am just argumenting why I find this distasteful and not so ethical and that it kind of shows how some corporations can get an excuse for their behavior if there's an emotional attachment towards that corporation or product.

And mess at "corporations are people too". That's so neoliberal.

Anyway, at least the game is being made. There were better ways to do it without all this entanglement.

Yeah right, like all those attempts in the last 15 years ..

*Sigh*

Stop reading too much into the mention of a different console, it doesn't make you look smart or anything, it reads more like a lazy "get out of jail free" card kind of argument than anything else.

But that is your beef. Stop trying to run away from it lol. You said it, its there, we see it, you clearly wrote it. It is what it is....and close.

The point is, you would have no problem if there was an XB1 version in which you are admitting to, but the fact that Sony is backing it and XB1 owners won't be apart of that pie is what's more upsetting to you than this game even existing.

Top Bottom