• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is officially helping with funding and development with Shenmue 3

hawk2025

"This will probably happen more often" is hardly the same as saying consumers will dump money into any future campaign.

I would note that this is the second time that we've seen a Kickstarter for a project that Sony was shadow-funding.

Adam Boyes: "Of course, we are helping with the funding"

=

Shadow funding

Pikma

Banned
But that is your beef. Stop trying to run away from it lol. You said it, its there, we see it, you clearly wrote it. It is what it is....and close.

The point is, you would have no problem if there was an XB1 version in which you are admitting to, but the fact that Sony is backing it and XB1 owners won't be apart of that pie is what's more upsetting to you than this game even existing.
That's actually a good argument! Not sure who it is aimed at though, definitely not me since I already told you I have no console preference, keep looking at it though, look at my extense post history, the threads I created, who knows, you might find something! If you find it bring it up so everyone can laugh at me, if you don't though just shut up and start looking for a real argument instead of using these kind of lazy attempts at them. Until then bye bye

Are people really REALLY complaining about this? Both Sony and Shu are actually MAKING THIS GAME HAPPEN, and FANS are helping gauge the interest, and then we're COMPLAINING?

Just stop.

You're oversimplifying the discussion and adding nothing to it.

With that being said, I am not seeing a lot of Playstation 4 owners complaining. If they are, your post holds true but I do not think this is the case.

There is another layer to the discussion around being transparent about using KS to garner a publisher.

Bishop89

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Kickstarter (I'm an expert), but transparency and honesty are huge parts of it. It's not like it was with Bloodborne where you can become successful by help funding and publishing it. If you help fund a game in Kickstarter, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to back Shenmue at all, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games they help fund in the future. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, remove all your funding or you can kiss your business goodbye.

so good.

Aren't you a sony dev too, so its even sweeter.

The majority off the game? Source? Even if that's the case, it's a publisher getting free money from whales to finance and diminish their risks while keeping all the advantages of having said product as an exclusive console-wise. And when I say whales I mean the people donating way more than $60, before you try that "but it's not free money they are getting the game too!!!!"
My source is the cost of Shenmue 1, 2, and Adam Boyes' mouth.

What are you talking about? You're mad about people donating more than $60? Whales? What the fuck?

This Thread represents modern Fanboyism and Gaming in a nutshell and it is disgusting to see and it makes me sad.

Y's and Sony give you a opportunity to have a Game "Fans" always wanted and people are bitching that Sony wants prove that it can get to a break even point.

People have to realize that this game is not for the main stream audience or gamers. The Kickstarter is just and only for the Fucking Hardcore Shenmue fans, so they can get a game out, that is most likely a financial disaster or not a game publisher want to fund. And it seems likeFans do not give a shit how this games is done. On average people are paying more than 80$ to get this idea of a game, which is insane.
40.000 Backers for such ,most likely, expensive game is not very much tbh, but it shows that some hardcore people really want that game and really go all in for this.

And now people blame sony to want some kind of security, that they do not lose a shit ton of money ? Ask yourself a question. Why did Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Acti, Ea or any other publisher try to get the game or try to fund it or even try help Y's? Because they know, that today this game is so niche and so exotic, that it will not be a main stream success and most likely a very high financial risk, that nobody wanted to take or even consider in 14 years. Sony is willing to take this risk, but wanted proof that people do not only demand that game on Twitter, but also that they are ready to back it up financially and take a little bit of Sony's risk. How is this bad ?

People are getting this game cheaper, when they back it up with 30§, but most people just went crazy backing it up. But as I said it is only the most hardcore niche fans and not the main stream.

Sony gets blaimed for not taking a financial enormous risk and not giving a Niche game to all of you without some kind of security. The most people, who back Shenmue III do not give a shit about how, they are in heaven, that Sony even considers the idea of Shenmue III and they where kind enough to give this exotic game this grand stage.

This need to be quoted again and again for visibility.

This need to be attached to OP.

This needs to be posted as first post in every upcoming Shenmue 3 thread.

If you are seriously outraged by this then just simply don't buy it and move on. Some fans have been eagerly waiting for this or a very long time and i'm happy they'll get to play it and I say this without being a KS backer and have no intention of being one either.

m@cross

Terrible approach. Much better off if funding stuck with safe projects or companies had to risk more helping fund less safe ones. F U Sony, retreads and shooters only or blind investments!

Malreyn

Try telling this to the guys who tried to Kickstart a successor to Eternal Darkness, a game many people love and said they wanted a sequel/spiritual successor too.

They failed to raise even $100,000. Twice.

Words are cheap and Sony/Ys Net know this. The kickstarter is now an actual data point that they can take to their bean counters and say "Hey look at these records we just fucking broke overnight. We're totally contributing to this to get a PS4 version!" instead of empty promises from message boards.

I agree with this especially after seeing people here on this forum go apeshit over Neir 2 announcement, as if it was the Final Fantasy 7 remake announcement, while I sit here thinking "Wth was so great about Neir 1? Did I miss something?" KS can just cut through all the noise and show us whether people will actually give a damn about a game or not...

On Demand

Banned
This Thread represents modern Fanboyism and Gaming in a nutshell and it is disgusting to see and it makes me sad.

Y's and Sony give you a opportunity to have a Game "Fans" always wanted and people are bitching that Sony wants prove that it can get to a break even point.

People have to realize that this game is not for the main stream audience or gamers. The Kickstarter is just and only for the Fucking Hardcore Shenmue fans, so they can get a game out, that is most likely a financial disaster or not a game publisher want to fund. And it seems likeFans do not give a shit how this games is done. On average people are paying more than 80$ to get this idea of a game, which is insane.
40.000 Backers for such ,most likely, expensive game is not very much tbh, but it shows that some hardcore people really want that game and really go all in for this.

And now people blame sony to want some kind of security, that they do not lose a shit ton of money ? Ask yourself a question. Why did Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, Acti, Ea or any other publisher try to get the game or try to fund it or even try help Y's? Because they know, that today this game is so niche and so exotic, that it will not be a main stream success and most likely a very high financial risk, that nobody wanted to take or even consider in 14 years. Sony is willing to take this risk, but wanted proof that people do not only demand that game on Twitter, but also that they are ready to back it up financially and take a little bit of Sony's risk. How is this bad ?

People are getting this game cheaper, when they back it up with 30§, but most people just went crazy backing it up. But as I said it is only the most hardcore niche fans and not the main stream.

Sony gets blaimed for not taking a financial enormous risk and not giving a Niche game to all of you without some kind of security. The most people, who back Shenmue III do not give a shit about how, they are in heaven, that Sony even considers the idea of Shenmue III and they where kind enough to give this exotic game this grand stage.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lets keep complaining for nothing!!!!!

Is the bad feeling literally because there's obviously not going to be a XBOX version? That being the case, I can understand the disappointment. But keep it rational, fuck sake. Some childish shit being tossed around in here.

DEATH_INC

Neo Member
And backers get the game at half price. Why are people acting like backers are getting cheated?

Exactly. I pledged figuring through the seemingly rare powers of logical thinking and deduction that if the goal was met there would be outside financial backing, most likely from Sony. I've waited over a decade for this and knew it was most likely the only chance to ever see it made.

There is no way in hell the modest monetary goal would be enough money for a real Shenmue game or any game of that type of scale and scope. Also no way a company is going to fund a sequel to a series that hasn't seen a game in a decade and a half without some real financial proof of interest. Sony despite the ps4's success still has financial issues and they are not a charity. They needed receipts.

Rymuth

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Kickstarter (I'm an expert), but transparency and honesty are huge parts of it. It's not like it was with Bloodborne where you can become successful by help funding and publishing it. If you help fund a game in Kickstarter, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to back Shenmue at all, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games they help fund in the future. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Took waaay too long

And it took Demonite to post this. <3

mugwhump

The more I think about it, I'm ALL for moves like this because we will actually get franchises that we want instead of those 'please beg our publishers' or 'please fill out these surveys' moves Japanese developers have been asking us to do, often with NO result. If this means we can get games like a new Lunar, Grandia, Chrono Trigger, etc., then I'm all for it.

This, if we can get more niche japanese games funded it'd be amazing.

Actually, in the last few pages I am noticing a reduction in outrage.....

To be completely honest the outrage in this thread was mostly directed at people asking questions or raising concerns, not really at the game's existence

I doubt there's anyone in this thread who legitimately said "I'd prefer if this game didn't exist." That's a bogeyman that was made up

Thank you. Some of you people, I swear...

zeshakag

Oh boy I hope people aren't actuall falling for that.

Also, the KS $2,000,000 goal only funds less than or equal to 5% of the game's total budget, I guarantee it. From indie to triple a.Backers are rejoicing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's all about transparency. For example, Playtonic was 100% up front with their Kickstarter by mentioning that Yooka-Laylee was being developed whether the Kickstarter was successful or not due to funding already existing - and that the Kickstarter was simply a means of fleshing out an already existing game.

Instead of basically saying "We're just trying to do a noble thing here! Here's a Kickstarter we're simply trying to give some exposure too!", they could have been up front and likely gotten the same amount of excitement.

so what happened just now isn't transparency?

the kickstarter hasn't ended. people's money are still in their pockets. no one has actually paid anything for Shenmue III in any form yet.

there aren't rules for transparency other than being transparent. they are being transparent by announcing what they did before anything has cemented. if anything this should make going into the kickstarter more appealing.

So Sony, a company who are in a financial position where taking risks could be seen as recklessness, decide to fund a long dead game series once fans have proved there is a genuine demand for the series to be resurrected?

And, rather than being financially prudent, that is being painted as a bad thing in certain quarters?

Riiiiiight.

Kickstarter was for the PC version
since this is backed by Sony I doubt there would have been a PC version

This for sure. I think a lot of people underestimate how much game development -- especially a game such as Shenmue 3 -- costs...Skullgirls broke down where $150K went. And that game's entire budget was $1.7 million. Now consider what Shenmue 3 will cost.

Also, Kickstarter in this situation is being used as a marketing tool...The best scenario for Sony out of this would be, "Shenmue is the biggest Kickstarter yet!" etc etc

Wavebossa

To be completely honest the outrage in this thread was mostly directed at people asking questions or raising concerns, not really at the game's existence

I doubt there's anyone in this thread who legitimately said "I'd prefer if this game didn't exist," that's a bogeyman that was made up

No.... the outrage was at Sony's backing a Kickstarter and how some people were completely against this concept

Not saying it was logical outrage but it was outrage

Sera O

Banned
Even if a kickstarter blasts through its goal, I am not sure it's a good way to gauge sales after release - and that's where costs would be recouped. Sony is still very likely to take a loss on their investment. I think this kickstarter is probably the most useful as a way to home in on what the budget should be, extrapolating pledges to sales.

KS dollars aren't as good an indicator since you could always meet goal with a very high average pledge in a niche group. After the game's released and is priced, you don't care that one person would pay $500 - you need 10 people who would pay $50 for each person like that.

I'd be curious as to the reaction if a game like Shenmue put a real, workable budget up on a KS - I can only imagine the failure happening. Going off Wikipedia, Shenmue was listed in 2006 Guinness as the most expensive game made at 70 million (in year 2000 bucks). People thinking 2 million would cover Shenmue 3 are pretty out of touch; 2m is a drop in the bucket. If they couldn't achieve that off the die-hards desperate for a sequel, who could blame Sony for getting out of that deal?

This need to be quoted again and again for visibility.

This need to be attached to OP.

This needs to be posted as first post in every upcoming Shenmue 3 thread.

N it doesnt because the poster blatantly draws a line between "hardcore shenmue fans" to "playstation 4" owners. The two can be mutually exclusive

He also paints Sony actions as heroic when he has little information to suggest other publishers did not try to get in on this action. That is a lot of straw grasping

fedexpeon

Banned
Too late.

LOL

Yup.
Got me...

tumblr_mgkp88PQH11qcxbquo1_500.gif

Not.
I got you guys.

I doubt there's anyone in this thread who legitimately said "I'd prefer if this game didn't exist." That's a bogeyman that was made up

You're not wrong.

Kazaam

1501.gif

I agree with this especially after seeing people here on this forum go apeshit over Neir 2 announcement, as if it was the Final Fantasy 7 remake announcement, while I sit here thinking "Wth was so great about Neir 1? Did I miss something?" KS can just cut through all the noise and show us whether people will actually give a damn about a game or not...

Seen multiple posters call it "Neir" today, wtf.

Slyfer

Neo Member

Square-Enix just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by making uninspired remakes. If you screw with the fans in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the FFVII remake for any system, nor will they purchase any of Square-Enix's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel the FFVII remake or you can kiss your business goodbye.

LOL

JP

Why does it matter?

I'll tell you why it matters.

People defended KS in the start because it put the power back in the Devs hands, not investors hands or publisher hands.

I remember all the talk back in the day about how this approach for games meant we'd get the true visions of the devs, not the market research driven approach a publisher would take.

That's all gone with shit like this. If in fact the KS is 1/10th the budget, who has final say on things? You don't know. Maybe it's Sony, maybe it's Yu who is given autonomy to use Sony's money how he see's fit.

KS used this way is pretty much a whale fishing excursion. Currently the Avg is $78.

Yes, people get something for that money. Yet the whole idea that you're funding something that wasn't getting funded is out the window.

Just call it a fucking pre-order then if that's what it is. That's mainly what KS has become.
There are very few facts known about what is being discussed in this thread but one of the facts that is know is what Kickstarter is for, we know exactly what it is for because it's explained perfectly well in the section called "What is Kickstarter".

Not you in particular but one of the issues in what's being discussed here is that some believe that Kickstarter is something that it isn't and then complain when Kickstarter fulfils exactly what it is there to do.

According to Ys Net, if they don't raise $2 million then, quite simply "Shenmue 3 will not go forward". Why? We don't know so any discussion about why is pointless as it no more than guesswork. What we do know however is that Ys Net do not own Shenmue in any shape or form and maybe Sega isn't willing to let them use their IP without it being paid for in advance. Maybe it's because Sony aren't willing to stump up money until they know that Ys Net have that money to spend.

We all know that $2 million was never going to be an issue but I'm sure that we all know that this is unlikely to be a profitable game, even if every single person on GAF bought a copy they're surely going to be losing money. Yu Suzuki clearly loves these games and it appears to mean everything to him so maybe he is willing to lose some of his personal investment but that doesn't mean that Sony & Sega are happy to hand over money just to create good will amongst the thousands of people who will hopefully buy it.

I can't imagine that any of the involved parties (including people who will be investing outside of Kickstarter that we'll never know about) are going into this believing that they are going to make loads of money. This idea that Sony should fund this game, which isn't actually their game' because they have money is as ludicrous as saying that they should be giving away Uncharted 4 for free when it releases, because they have money.

Anybody investing in this project has a right to get something out of it even if that return isn't financial. We all know why Yu Suzuki is doing this, why are Sega doing this? We don't know but it could really be as simple as they're being given $2 million because of this Kickstarter. I'm investing and I'm, hopefully, getting the game if it reaches full production, that's my own return on this project.

I believe it's wrong that people are seemingly twisting what is happening here and I don;t understand it. I'm really not a major Shenmue fan but I'm backing it because I think it's a really positive thing and I'm not understanding how anybody could possibly think that they are being conned here. It's clearly coming to PS4 and PC because Sony are offering something to Ys Net, Sega or even both. I'd understand people being upset if Sony had said something along the lines of "Nope, we're not involved in any way. It's just not coming to other consoles because Sega really like us", but that clearly hasn't happened here.

It's a real shame that people are choosing to make this a negative but if anybody doesn't like it then they certainly don't have have to back it or buy the game when it's out. You've made you're choice and I have no issues with anybody making that choice.

Anyone offended by this practice and not having a project on KS himself is just plainly trolling.
I am running one at the moment, it's doing shit regardless of all the hard work behind it (and I really mean it, I'm not one of those that go the crowfunding route just for the hell of it) and after three days of nothing we got some traffic and a backer even if I'm not staff pick and buried alongside some stuff I would prefer not to define as videogames.

So get over it, you people are not worthy of this era amazing era for the home entertainment.

Quick detective GAF look in his post for a clue on the next unannounced PS4 game ;)

That's actually a good argument! Not sure who it is aimed at though, definitely not me since I already told you I have no console preference, keep looking at it though, look at my extense post history, the threads I created, who knows, you might find something! If you find it bring it up so everyone can laugh at me, if you don't though just shut up and start looking for a real argument instead of using these kind of lazy attempts at them. Until then bye bye

Please, you;'ve never had a point to begin with and speaking in plain english was my attempt to acknowledge your petty argument. But since the whales have you all fucked up, so be it. Bye indeed.

Pikma

Banned
My source is the cost of Shenmue 1, 2, and Adam Boyes' mouth.

What are you talking about? You're mad about people donating more than $60? Whales? What the fuck?
Oh so assumption and PR belief?

Mad is too strong of a word, I'm not mad at anyone, and this is not about people either, people can do whatever they want, I don't care. It's not about the backers, it's about Sony taking advantge of the backers' money to get themselves a console exclusive. Want me to explain it again?

Top Bottom