• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony leaks Dark Cloud PS2 for PS4

Dio

Banned
Also, just because they said PS2 classics are not compatible doesn't mean they're not giving you a 'new version' to download if you already own the PS2 classic version. They might do that, who knows.

I mean, sure, you could freak out now with no information.

Or....OR....wait for the details tonight/tomorrow?

Who says this isn't a "plop your CD in, get a free download for the game added to your account" situation?

Because

w6bMVkp.png

Risette

A Good Citizen
From my understanding, yes they do. You can't simply just put the disc in and start playing your game.
MS has to get permission because their BC solution involves downloading a recompiled version of the game from their servers, though.

JP

I'm half expecting that they'll release these games after the show. There aren't loads of games that I'd want to play again but it would be fantastic to be playing the HD version of Dark Cloud on Saturday. :)

Well, no hurry for me to get a new PS4 soon then. Already sold mine because I was playing much more older PS gen games before and after Bloodborne.

Naudi

Banned
Also, just because they said PS2 classics are not compatible doesn't mean they're not giving you a 'new version' to download if you already own the PS2 classic version. They might do that, who knows.

That would be good if it turns out this way. Probably won't, but who knows! I didn't buy any so doesn't matter to me but more options is(almost) always better.

Portugeezer

Were you guys seriously expecting PS2 classics to work?

PS2 classics seems reasonable, no? I mean, Sony even ported Flower (among other games) to PS4 and it was a free upgrade for PS3 owners.

Should be easy to see if someone owns PS2 classic and make PS4 emulated version available for free.

Beck

Oh come on... At least have the digital Classics work. Here's hoping most cost $5, though I expect they'll be more.

Pretty sure ps2 classics were a simple hack of original ps2 games. I remember reading somewhere that it was fairly easy to patch a ps2 iso for a modded ps3 anyway. Wide-screen fov hack was easy too, so we better get wide-screen on these Sony.

cheesekao

"PS2 classics" probably means the ps2 classics you can buy from the PS Store.
It means that already released PS2 classics will not retroactively work on the PS4. It's not a confirmation that you won't get the upgraded version if you already own it.

Portugeezer

"PS2 classics" probably means the ps2 classics you can buy from the PS Store.

Honestly, it could just mean PS3 classics won't work on PS4 until they make an emulated version for PS4. Doesn't mean you will have to re-buy... yet.

There is some hope for that, I suppose.

Were you guys seriously expecting PS2 classics to work?

Why should we not have? The entire thing seems strange to me. A digital version of a PS2 version bought on the PS3 doesn't work as a PS2 version of the same game on the PS4 (Assuming they don't give you the 'PS4' version if you bought the 'PS3' version).

There's still a chance that current PS2 classics that get re-rereleased will be cross-buy, right? I mean, it says they aren't compatible, but that could just mean that you need to download a totally different version that doesn't work with your old save...right?

Who am I kidding?

delSai

It means that already released PS2 classics will not retroactively work on the PS4. It's not a confirmation that you won't get the upgraded version if you already own it.
Honestly, it could just mean PS3 classics won't work on PS4 until they make an emulated version for PS4. Doesn't mean you will have to re-buy... yet.

There is some hope for that, I suppose.

Yeah sure. It's all just speculation right now until Sony says whats up.

PS2 classics seems reasonable, no? I mean, Sony even ported Flower (among other games) to PS4 and it was a free upgrade for PS3 owners.

Should be easy to see if someone owns PS2 classic and make PS4 emulated version available for free.
Coordinating with multiple devs to give out new versions of their games for free must be a pain. Unless all you want is upgrades of Sony PS2 classics.

Faustek

I have to admit the tears here are pretty hilarious. What were you expecting? Businesses aren't your friends.

Doesn't make it harder to say it's fucking bullshit.

Sony, this is fucking bullshit. I hope the emulation in question is just for the trophies and already bought classics work else

Please go fuck yourself with a grenade.

I really should just update my htpc and run it all through an emulator if this holds true.

Why should we not have? The entire thing seems strange to me. A digital version of a PS2 version bought on the PS3 doesn't work as a PS2 version of the same game on the PS4 (Assuming they don't give you the 'PS4' version if you bought the 'PS3' version).
Different console architecture, likely different emulator. That's like expecting your PS3 digital games to work as well.

The thing is, if I have to re-buy Classics that I already own on PS3 then I'm going to be less inclined to buy Classics on PS4 period.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This is what we need to know critically.

I don't see why the license would not be able to be carried over for those of us who have a huge digital library of PS1 and PS2 games on PSTV/Vita and PS3, unless they distinctly consider PS4 "PS2 and PS2 classics" completely separate from their last gen equivalents, which makes no sense just from an ecosystem stand point. They don't have to be compatible to have the licenses carry over for previous buyers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's great to see the older games get trophies. But instantly, that introduces more work for the developers. It's not just "Flipping a switch", they're probably enabling stat tracking and markers that the games were never intended for.

With this, I can see why it needs to cost SOMETHING, and not just be a free feature tacked on to owning a game disk from a decade ago. People put in work to get this stuff happening, and of course they deserve to get paid.

However, not matching downloaded PS2 classics? I HATE this about the PS4. The PSP, Vita, and PS3 all stand as some kind of testament that the other systems lived in their stores, and through their BC. It's a WONDERFUL thing, and I love being able to Download PSV or PSP stuff to the PS3 in order to buy, store, or manage it. It's great. Also seeing the purchase history on Vita, and being able to access a majority of the PSP store games.

But the PS4 is so insular. I can't even check out the sales for other Sonly consoles, or check the PS+ games for use. It\s absolutely a step back after enjoying these features across 3 previous consoles.

PS3 and 4 both have odd features that push me away from totally loving the systems. It's aggravating, but generally manageable. But seeing the people who basically pioneered console cross buy and persistent libraries fail to keep their digital purchases moving forward, to what is their most successful hardware in years... it really just feels bad.

Different console architecture, likely different emulator. That's like expecting your PS3 digital games to work as well.

No. I'm expecting their 'Digital PS2 game' to be compatible with any console they advertise as being able to play digital PS2 games. The underlying architecture should not make any difference at all to the customer.

Naudi

Banned
Doesn't make it harder to say it's fucking bullshit.

Sony, this is fucking bullshit. I hope the emulation in question is just for the trophies and already bought classics work else

Please go fuck yourself with a grenade.

I really should just update my htpc and run it all through an emulator if this holds true.

Wowzers...Take a breather, it will all be ok I promise! If you can't play on PS4 just remember that they are still playable on PS3! No need for grenade Fucking.

Garlador

I don't see why the license would not be able to be carried over for those of us who have a huge digital library of PS1 and PS2 games, unless they distinctly consider PS4 "PS2 and PS2 classics" completely separate from their last gen equivalents, which makes no sense just from an ecosystem stand point. They don't have to be compatible to have the licenses carry over for previous buyers.

I feel like it's nothing but foolish hope at this point...

... But that would be nice. Nintendo did that (kinda) with Wii Virtual Console games being upgraded to Wii U Virtual Console games (for a price).

... Though you could still bloody well play the Wii Virtual Console games without the new additions too.

Gator86

Because companies want to maximize profit. Sony thinks they will lose less from pissing people off with this bullshit than they make with reselling us stuff we already own.

I don't see why the license would not be able to be carried over for those of us who have a huge digital library of PS1 and PS2 games on PSTV/Vita and PS3, unless they distinctly consider PS4 "PS2 and PS2 classics" completely separate from their last gen equivalents, which makes no sense just from an ecosystem stand point. They don't have to be compatible to have the licenses carry over for previous buyers.

Almost like in a few days we will find out during a certain event hosted by Sony. But maybe I am wrong.

Except not exactly since there has been a precedent with PS1 games from the PSN with multiple systems, and PSP games to the Vita. It was never an unreasonable assumption that classics already purchased could work on the PS4 as well.

Akara

Banned
YES DARK CLOUD!!!!! One of my favorite game series, oh god so many fond memories!

And wow someone needs to get disciplined at playstation, the leakstation is real lol.

One question. Dunno if it has already been answered.

Was there even a possibility of ps2 discs working on the ps4, technically speaking? Like it actually possible in theory or practice and they just chose not to?

Top Bottom