• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony leaks Dark Cloud PS2 for PS4

Sony really needs to price these at around 5 dollars for it to be a good deal.

See, this is how expectations get completely blown apart. Why in the world would you expect these to be $5? PS2 Classics are $10, and whatever this is has a lot more work put into getting it to work than with those.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does this game still hold up well?

Dark Cloud 2 makes Dark Cloud 1 totally irrelevant. Luckily that's coming as well.

I feel like it's nothing but foolish hope at this point...

... But that would be nice. Nintendo did that (kinda) with Wii Virtual Console games being upgraded to Wii U Virtual Console games (for a price).

... Though you could still bloody well play the Wii Virtual Console games without the new additions too.

I hope we get some positive clarification.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

4 the players....

AntMurda

See, this is how expectations get completely blown apart. Why in the world would you expect these to be $5? PS2 Classics are $10, and whatever this is has a lot more work put into getting it to work than with those.

SNES rom dumps are like $8.00 on Nintendo's VC service. And it's not tied to an account!

Different console architecture, likely different emulator. That's like expecting your PS3 digital games to work as well.

I think it would be better PR and a better deal for customers if they happen to port over a game that already existed as a PS2 classic and they make it available at a free/discounted price, similar to what they've done for other games, and what Nintendo did before.

But yeah, it seems pretty obvious that these are ports and not necessarily using the same exact data as the old PS2 classics, so those expecting to just redownload stuff like if they were on their iOS/Android device are likely out of luck.

Jolkien

Well it's now a useless feature (for me).. I was hoping the disc would work, this way I could finish my play through of .HACK. Oh well.

15strong

It's what I think people would buy them at. At this point, ps2 games are a novelty. Something cool to buy and play. And are people really willing to put 10-15$ to play 15 year old games?

Except not exactly since there has been a precedent with PS1 games from the PSN with multiple systems, and PSP games to the Vita. It was never an unreasonable assumption that classics already purchased could work on the PS4 as well.
Those consoles were advertised as having retro, the PS4 was not. PS2 classics were also PS3 only.
One question. Dunno if it has already been answered.

Was there even a possibility of ps2 discs working on the ps4, technically speaking? Like it actually possible in theory or practice and they just chose not to?
Probably not without a download.

finalflame

Why in the world did ANYONE expect you to be able to plop in PS2 discs? I mean really, this has to be the most tone-deaf, dense thing I have ever seen people on GAF believe. There was ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE they were gong to allow you to just pop in a PS2 disc and play old games on the PS4.

They will bring games out via PS2 Classics, just like on PS3 without hardware/crap software PS2 emulation. That's the only thing that makes any business sense.

Faustek

Wowzers...Take a breather, it will all be ok I promise! If you can't play on PS4 just remember that they are still playable on PS3! No need for grenade Fucking.

I'm rather calm. Shoving a grenade up a business ass is pretty much my standard day with lasers trying to kill the workers and such. Now if you ever see me saying something like I'm looking forward to the next meeting you can tell me to calm down because I'll need to calm down.

Seda

I like Dark Cloud more than its sequel, but not sure I'm interested in rebuying for a resolution bump and trophies.

Inuhanyou

^ BLASPHEMY.

Those consoles were advertised as having retro, the PS4 was not. PS2 classics were also PS3 only.

Because Vita running PS2 classics as emulation is a technical impossibility let us be clear.

That has nothing to do with ecosystem licenses.

gafneo

Banned
This is bad news? You rather have low res crap by using disks? Also, this has trophies. You have the option right now to play crap low res ps2 games on a $10 ps2 console if you get one on ebay.

Alebrije

The dream is dead

w6bMVkp.png

Yep , its sad. No way will buy a PS2 game again on PS4. But for the people that do not have PS2 is a nice feature but they need to be extra cheap.

Good I have one new PS2 and other connected so can end my PS2 collection.

This is bad news? You rather have low res crap by using disks? Also, this has trophies. You have the option right now to play crap low res ps2 games on a $10 ps2 console if you get one on ebay.

Are you aware of how PS2 emulators work on PCs? There's no reason to buy releases unless you have no PC or a trophy addiction.

Garlador

Why in the world did ANYONE expect you to be able to plop in PS2 discs? I mean really, this has to be the most tone-deaf, dense thing I have ever seen people on GAF believe. There was ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE they were gong to allow you to just pop in a PS2 disc and play old games on the PS4.

They will bring games out via PS2 Classics, just like on PS3 without hardware/crap software PS2 emulation. That's the only thing that makes any business sense.

Yeah... you do know there are a crap-ton of PS2 games that never existed as PS2 Classic, right? From companies that are defunct (like THQ and Midway, for example)?

I mean, it's crazy to imagine you could just plop in a disc and play it... even though the PS3 did that. And Xbox One is now doing it. And the Wii U does it....

How silly of us to even dare to hope they could do what they did last time.

Jolkien

Blu-ray can read DVD, it wasn't that big of a stretch. But yeah business wise, the news did not made me fall off my chair.

EoinOL

Was there even a possibility of ps2 discs working on the ps4, technically speaking? Like it actually possible in theory or practice and they just chose not to?
There's no technical reason why an emulator wouldn't work with discs. The PS3 emulated the PSone and played PSone discs just fine, in addition to PSone Classics.

Full compatibility with PS2 discs probably wouldn't have been possible, and adding trophies to all of them definitely wouldn't have been possible, but if they have a general PS2 emulator running on PS4, then they could run games off discs with it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It could most likely be done just like the Xbox One does with it's DIsk based BC: The Disk entitles you to a "free" digital download of the game. This file uses the disk as an ownership verification to play the game, but the actual file isn't read off the disk; it's a unique downloaded one that the disk gives you access to. Thus why you need the disk in system to play the downloaded file.

Same thing with the digital game BC side. The File on your XB1 isn't the same one downloaded to the 360; it's something new that has been modified to work on the XB-One. But the license for ownership covers both of these versions.

Inuhanyou

Just gotta hope the disc serves as a means to download a digital version for free i guess.

Just consider the discs meaningless from a PS4 standpoint. If you pop in a PS1 or a PS2 disc, nothing will happen period.

We all have had the sense to understand this from the beginning i'd like to think.

This is not what the concern should be about.

Capella

It's great to see the older games get trophies. But instantly, that introduces more work for the developers. It's not just "Flipping a switch", they're probably enabling stat tracking and markers that the games were never intended for.

With this, I can see why it needs to cost SOMETHING, and not just be a free feature tacked on to owning a game disk from a decade ago. People put in work to get this stuff happening, and of course they deserve to get paid.

However, not matching downloaded PS2 classics? I HATE this about the PS4. The PSP, Vita, and PS3 all stand as some kind of testament that the other systems lived in their stores, and through their BC. It's a WONDERFUL thing, and I love being able to Download PSV or PSP stuff to the PS3 in order to buy, store, or manage it. It's great. Also seeing the purchase history on Vita, and being able to access a majority of the PSP store games.

But the PS4 is so insular. I can't even check out the sales for other Sonly consoles, or check the PS+ games for use. It\s absolutely a step back after enjoying these features across 3 previous consoles.

PS3 and 4 both have odd features that push me away from totally loving the systems. It's aggravating, but generally manageable. But seeing the people who basically pioneered console cross buy and persistent libraries fail to keep their digital purchases moving forward, to what is their most successful hardware in years... it really just feels bad.
I agree. It's one of the things I really liked about the PS3 and what I loved about the Vita when I had one (Hopefully I'll get a new one soon...). Hopefully they can allow cross buy for some games because I'm not too crazy about buying PS2 games I already own for a 3rd time.

Faustek

^ BLASPHEMY.

Because Vita running PS2 classics as emulation is a technical impossibility let us be clear.

That has nothing to do with ecosystem licenses.

Remember seeing PS2 classics on the PSV store and I skipped of joy until I saw it stood PS3 only. PSN Europe being stellar as usual.

Garlador

This is an example of why it's always best to go in with low expectations.

I did. I didn't expect PS2 disc support.

I never imagined PS2 Classics wouldn't be supported too, especially after Sony polled people asking if they had an interest in it.

UberTag

This is an example of why it's always best to go in with low expectations.
Especially when it comes to "first-place Sony"... purveyors of that joke of a service known as PlayStation Now.

Now "Sony in second or third place" ... those guys deliver. I like THAT Sony. But first-place Sony? Always expect the worst.

Yeah... you do know there are a crap-ton of PS2 games that never existed as PS2 Classic, right? From companies that are defunct (like THQ and Midway, for example)?

I mean, it's crazy to imagine you could just plop in a disc and play it... even though the PS3 did that. And Xbox One is now doing it. And the Wii U does it....

How silly of us to even dare to hope they could do what they did last time.
A single PS3 launch model did that. Sure, you guys are in the right to be disappointed that they want us to buy these again, but it was a silly expectation, yeah.

Inuhanyou

So is Dark Cloud any goof? I've literally never heard of it until now.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games of the 6th generation full stop. Whenever it comes to PSN, definitely buy it.

Dark Cloud 1...although it shares many concepts of the sequel, absolutely pales in comparison. And the story is not connected at all, so you don't need to play 1.

Naudi

Banned
I'm rather calm. Shoving a grenade up a business ass is pretty much my standard day with lasers trying to kill the workers and such. Now if you ever see me saying something like I'm looking forward to the next meeting you can tell me to calm down because I'll need to calm down.

Lol..you got it :)

Especially when it comes to "first-place Sony" purveyors of that joke of a service known as PlayStation Now.

Now "Sony in second or third place" ... those guys deliver. I like THAT Sony. But first-place Sony? Always expect the worst.
Oh, oh, oh! Are we gonna start a bingo? Are we? I love bingos!

Gonna check the "arrogant Sony is back" mark

Dear God hold me....
I never thought I would go back to DC2

I transferred my ps2 save over to ps3 but then forgot to back it up. I played another 60 hours on my ps3 and then lost the save.

This game was/is a fucking masterpiece. I had it ranked up with Star control 2

AntMurda

Right now we only know of first-party games coming through that PS2 Classics line though right?

Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Twisted Metal Black
Ape Escape 2
????

Sonicbug

Disappointment in no license carrying-over aside, I hope that with both Dark Cloud games getting rereleased that means a Dark Cloud 3 announcement is imminent.

Nazo

Dark Cloud 2 is one of the best games of the 6th generation full stop. Whenever it comes to PSN, definitely buy it.

Dark Cloud 1...although it shares many concepts of the sequel, absolutely pales in comparison. And the story is not connected at all, so you don't need to play 1.

That's quite a bit of praise. I'll definitely at least check out Dark Cloud 2!

Top Bottom