• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony likely saved about $15 by not including a UHD drive in PS4 Pro.

Did you ever consider that they're passing the savings onto you by ignoring movies and television? It's 4 the Players and not 4 the Watchers, you fucking ingrates.

yes, they care about us players! now i have to buy a separate machine to watch UHD movies, just think of the savings!

SURGEdude

It probably does actually.

Let's say $150 per console is pure profit, if they miss one sale because of it, they have to sell 10 consoles to make up that difference in pure profit. Which is not a lot.

So they're likely betting much fewer than 1/10 people will care who are interested in buying PS4 Pro. Which is probably the case anyway.

Royalties on discs and players as a result of the health of a medium is a small but hardly insignificant upside. The success of a format that leans heavily on your licensed IP is a huge win.

BumRush

As much as I wanted UHD blu support in it, 99% of potential buyers probably don't care. I'm not buying the thing, but it won't stop most...and that's why Sony made the (odd) decision.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Did you ever consider that they're passing the savings onto you by ignoring movies and television? It's 4 the Players and not 4 the Watchers, you fucking ingrates.

I wonder how the Xbox One reveal would go over today... Seems like gaf has evolved away from the whole 'it's a gaming console I don't care about the multimedia features' towards 'this thing not having a UHD Blu-ray player makes it literally useless'.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Way to go. At some point they have to start using UHD discs because of the size of today's games. What if PS5 uses UHD as physical media, then the Pro won't be able to read them.

LordOfChaos

415 would be an odd price, and a 15 dollar loss per Pro could be a millions dent.

I have no strong opinions either way on this.

HTupolev

That number actually makes me less surprised that they didn't go for it. $15 is a lot to argue for in a single component, particularly one that's becoming more and more vestigial even for a product's main function. Unfortunate, but maybe not as surprising as I'd thought.

Hexa

what about the future when games are put on UHD discs?

All game discs must work on both PS4 and PS4 Pro. Hence even if the PS4 Pro had a UHD drive, games still wouldn't be allowed to be put on UHD discs. Just movies.

Way to go. At some point they have to start using UHD discs because of the size of today's games. What if PS5 uses UHD as physical media, then the Pro won't be able to read them.

Well, duh? I mean, would you expect PS4 games to work on a PS3?

EvB

So why are UHD players $300 if a drive amounts to like $34?

Because you need all of the other components to make a whole UHD Drive.
Like expensive processors

Also, uptake on standalone UHD drives is going to be low at this point, so they will be sold at a high margin , with the real cost coming from the design and manufacturer of small volumes.

Raylan

Banned
Probably not after the One S and Scorpio.
lol, yeah right. You're in for a rude awakening. I think it's funny as hell that some people actually think MS gonna win next-gen or "this gen" as soon as Scorpio hits, because Scorpio has a 6TF GPU. In the end, it's still an Xbox. And Microsoft can't change that.

AmuroChan

Tell that to people with connections not fast enough to stream 4K content.

Then they probably don't have a 4KTV either because the UHD Blu-ray library is dismal right now. If you're getting a 4KTV to watch 4K content, most of the content will be via streaming and not via physical media.

I'm bummed but it has no sway on my purchase decision. Honestly if Blockbuster and the like still existed where I could actually RENT Blurays, this would be devastating news for me. I'm no way in hell buying every movie I want to simply watch in Bluray.

I just need other avenues of 4K content. Sony probably knows this, can't say its a bad business decision but at the end of the day, I would have preferred to have it.

Hey OP can you post how much all the other guts in the thing cost as well? Since everything else will add up to exactly $399 it'd be cool to see it spelled out.

Santiako

latest

Oh man, Terry Crewes' character in Everybody Hates Chris was hilarious.

BumRush

Probably not after the One S and Scorpio.

Remember that the Scorpio being a sales monster is not set in stone. The majority of console owners base purchases on money, and Sony isn't going to let next holiday season go without doing SOMETHING (e.g. Slim pro revision for $299 or $349 with a couple games).

RPGam3r

I would love to see some source or evidence to support your claim if you don't mind.

I love my physical discs, even I can see what is coming. Services like Netflix, Amazon etc aren't as big as they are for lack of interest from the market. Music is dominated be streaming and digital services. PC gaming is a digital front as well. Why are we pretending like consoles will some how go against the grain and not end up here? Including how said consoles deliver other entertainment like movies?

Audioboxer

How many people in the market care about a slightly better PS4?

Good news, you're about to find out really soon. Like months soon.

Meanwhile keep an eye on how the XB1 S sells given its the cheapest UHD player and GAFers seem to be rabid for UHD.

Top Bottom