• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony likely saved about $15 by not including a UHD drive in PS4 Pro.

Razgreez

I'd bet most are probably from the many No Man's Sky threads and were eagerly awaiting the next controversy. Give it a few weeks and they will move on to the next topic to rage on. It's an endless cycle that doesn't represent the general public in anyway. The amount of regurgitated threads on the same controversy/hot topics recently seems redundant.

Just you wait, xbox one s's are going to be flying off the shelves now. You'll see :p

tr1p1ex

IT's pretty much as simple as Sony wanted to hit the $399 pricepoint and the 4k BR drive was cut.

A $15 savings from using a cheaper component (let's assume that's the real number) is huge. Most will compare it to $400 list price of a PS4. But that's not how Sony looks at it. They'll look at compared to the profit/loss they take on every machine sold. And that number is much much smaller.

IF Sony actually made $40 on a PS4 Pro day one then $15 is nearly 40% of that. That's huge.

Or by contrast if Sony is losing $30 on every PS4 (Pro) sold then a $15 savings from using a cheaper component, most don't care about, cuts their loss in half.

IT gives them alot of room to keep the price low and put pressure on MS. MS is 2nd this gen and they've had to price the X1 lower than the PS4 because of that. Saving $15 on a component will let Sony twist the knife more, if they want to, and force MS into a position of selling the Xbox One for a lower price than they want to.

The more I think about it the more I come to think this is really aimed in a huge way at PSVR owners. It's no secret that the existing console is pretty limited in what it will be able to push on VR and I'm not sure Sony wants people to experience the format if possible in that way.

But they can't just limit VR to the Pro without backlash. By keeping the price down and cutting corners like the drive they might be hoping to shift more PSVR people to the Pro based on what will likely be a dramatic difference in experience. If that's the case they are smart to keep the price down and the GPU up so people don't get sticker shock bundling the two.

Or it's the way it seems- just kinda a half-baked stopgap to something new. Kinda like the Xbox S.

They don't sell players yet. Though 1 is coming in early 2017 I think. And I'm not sure how worried they would be cannibalizing a small number of sales in a fledgling market to get a ton more compatible players out.
They are too early with it and it will be difficult to sustain it perhaps. Could be like the Kinect effect where it's loved then not cared for in the second iteration

I'm sorry but if you did not understand what I said and pointed than you probably have no experience or knowledge of how manufacturing works. I could come up other example of BOM prices like screen and so forth. A quick example. A screen BOM cost a certain company 10 dollars. After 2nd Op assembly the price goes up 15 dollars. Factor in the shipment of screen to the manufacturer 50 cent. Now it's 15.50 before leaving manufacturing. QA (quality) personal have to spend time testing an ensure product work say 1 dollar. Cost now 16.50. The rest of manufacturing needs to make money and other logistic and overhead cost. That 10 dollar screen now cost roughly 20 dollars after leaving manufacturing. That's with no profit to the company who is requesting it. At this point they lost money on the product. They tack on 5 dollars before going to retail to make a profit. So that part now cost 25 dollars. Don't forget everyone else needs to make money in between. So now that 10 dollar part is 30 dollars.

The more complicated and electronic components involve in putting together parts in manufacturing the more it's going to cost. Bad paets that dont work. Remember each parts get tested.

I'm just tired of people using BOM price to gauge final product price. Manufacturing does not work like that. BOM is another wat looking at the base price.
This only has to do with Sony's increased interest in growing profits. Everything your saying while may not be wrong isn't factoring in to why.

What your saying may be a part of it but some management, likely the ceo is dictating a lot of questionable issues. While we know they want to make money some of thier decisions may be counter profitable.

Ps2 and no cross buy was clearly aimed at selling games to you again, and thinking they make more. But I imagine after that and the price hike that sales weren't as good as they had hoped. And ps2 titles have slowed it seems.

Plus hike.

Keeping the ps4 at higher prices just because. Price dropped 50 dollars in almost three years. Bundles though.

They cheapen it, shrink it and take out features like the light. Take off 50 dollars. And finally they create a pro system and make an excuse as to why. Which isn't completely honest I feel.

So , to think they aren't just squeezing it to gain profits?

That's fine I guess but some of those are counter positive to me

Top Bottom