• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony lists E3 games, explains God of War changes due to Europe

Jhn

Anecdotally, I think us euros have more issues with the super-serious muscular dudebro hero archetype than the hack-and-slash genre.

This finally might be a GoW i can like with an actual story

GoW's always had a story...? I'd argue that GoW has always been a very narrative driven game, much more so than other games in the genre/similar genres (e.g. DMC).

I've always found GoW's heady mix of action gameplay and Ancient Greek tragedy narrative compelling.

I guess you mean a story that you specifically find appealing? Perhaps you prefer the Norse mythological setting?

takriel

GoW's always had a story...? I'd argue that GoW has always been a very narrative driven game, much more so than other games in the genre/similar genres (e.g. DMC).

I've always found GoW's heady mix of action gameplay and Ancient Greek tragedy narrative compelling.

I guess you mean a story that you specifically find appealing? Perhaps you prefer the Norse mythological setting?
I don't know the prior games too well, but I guess what they meant was a more intricate story with emotional depth. I'm really digging this father-son relationship.

Nev

Banned

I think he means a "realistic", drama story about relationships between father figure and son and that crap that is so popular nowadays.

Remember that cartoony/comic stories are not stories! Specially if they're colorful like GoW used to be.

You need darkness and gloom and all things "emotional". Don't forget the forced walking.

xealo

Never really been a fan of games which whole visual theme is dudebro making fountains of blood and excessive gore everywhere as a European, even If I want good gameplay first.

What I've seen of this new god of war caught my interest more than any of the other games have done so far. Stereotype confirmed I guess.

VDenter

Banned
As a fan of the previous God of War games and hack and slash games in general i am not sold on this direction at all. It seems to me that they took heavy cues from the Last of Us but the thing is the Last of Us already exists and if i wanted to play the Last of Us i would just play that instead. The whole concept of making Kratos sympathetic is honestly baffling. Dude committed complete genocide in God Of War 3 and this game takes place after it and now we are supposed to relate to him in any way... a villain!?

Like how is this going to be a better story than the previous game with such a ridiculous premise? I am still interested in checking it out because i believe Santa Monica can pull it off. But this seems like the type of game that will just divide people completely. They should of just made this a new I.P instead because this is clearly not God Of War. As it stands people will be split on it no matter how good or bad it is similar to the DMC situation.

Yeah, as a "European", Dad Kratos interests me so much more than ex-Dad angry Kratos.

To agree with the above - I would not have used Kratos, because it is a bit weird to try make him relatable.

I don't know the prior games too well, but I guess what they meant was a more intricate story with emotional depth. I'm really digging this father-son relationship.

Yeah, I suppose "Kratos mad! Kratos smash!" isn't going to appeal to those looking for more emotional depth in their characters. On the flip side though, outside of Kratos' personal character development, I'd still argue that, at least in the first one, the whole revenge story about him being betrayed by Ares to kill his own family, there was some emotional depth to it.

I think he means a "realistic", drama story about relationships between father figure and son and that crap that is so popular nowadays.

Remember that cartoony/comic stories are not stories! Specially if they're colorful like GoW used to be.

You need darkness and gloom and all things "emotional". Don't forget the forced walking.

Lol, I take it you're not a fan of TLoU? Or is it the direction they're taking GoW (essentially turning it into "Dad of War")?

I'm pretty fine with the new direction, honestly. The series desperately need a change in its formula anyway.

timedesk

Neo Member
Yeah, I suppose "Kratos mad! Kratos smash!" isn't going to appeal to those looking for more emotional depth in their characters. On the flip side though, outside of Kratos' personal character development, I'd still argue that, at least in the first one, the whole revenge story about him being betrayed by Ares to kill his own family, there was some emotional depth to it.

Lol, I take it you're not a fan of TLoU? Or is it the direction they're taking GoW (essentially turning it into "Dad of War")?

I'm pretty fine with the new direction, honestly. The series desperately need a change in its formula anyway.

I kind of agree that the new direction seems fine. As someone who really liked the first game and the opening of the second, I quickly got sick of Kratos as a character. i actively hated him by the beginning of the third. In all honesty I kind of wanted the series to die by the end of that game. Last E3 gave me hope that Kratos won't drag this game down like he did with the others, and I still get to fight awesome monsters so I see this direction as the best of both worlds.

I insist that the first GOW is the only one to have a really interesting story with good storytelling, (never played Ghost of Sparta tho, my greatest sin).

Story in 2 is almost non existent, in 3 you have a complete scaled down tale that works but it's ultimately uninteresting and bland in some parts.

That said, is probably the franchise with best narrative in the genre.

The new one looks to be in a different league or with more mature intentions, looking to be a quality written game.

Character action doesn't do well in Europe, but it also doesn't help GoW is a pretty shitty character action game. Glad they finally changed it.

Novocaine

My hopes for the new God of War being something I like are pretty much gone reading that quote.

But it seems like I'm in the minority of this one. At least I'll always have GoW3.

I think a lot of the problem with God of War's story was that it was all about Kratos and Kratos was always a really bad character with 0 depth.

Turning him into an actual person with emotions other than pissed off will do wonders for the story of the new one imo.

timedesk

Neo Member
I insist that the first GOW is the only one to have a really interesting story with good storytelling, (never played Ghost of Sparta tho, my greatest sin).

Story in 2 is almost non existent, in 3 you have a complete scaled down tale that works but it's ultimately uninteresting and bland in some parts.

That said, is probably the franchise with best narrative in the genre.

The new one looks to be in a different league or with more mature intentions, looking to be a quality written game.

The first one at least felt like an exaggerated Greek tragedy. I had a lot of the components, and while Kratos didn't have much depth it felt like there was merit to his revenge. That all sort of fell out the window by the beginning of GoW2.

On a different note, add me to the list of people excited for new Spiderman info. While I don't dislike the game's costume design, I really hope we get a lot of costume options. I would love to have a Miles costume. I hope we get a lot of cameos as well, Spider-Gwen would be great. So yeah, I'm pretty hyped for this game.

Well they just lost a sale. Kid can always go to bed. We don't need big dad of war simulator.

You know Kratos does have a wife in this game and she will play a very important role in the story, and because he also has a kid, mini sex games makes absolutely no sense for Kratos character at this point of his life. He's kind of like old man Logan now.

You know Kratos does have a wife in this game and she will play a very important role in the story, and because he also has a kid, mini sex games makes absolutely no sense for Kratos character at this point of his life. He's kind of like old man Logan now.
Did they say the wife is alive? I figured she was dead based on the way the demo opens.

Yeah the sex mini-games were just silly moments in a silly testosterone fueled action game. They wouldn't fit in GoWs new serious direction.

manfestival

End of an era. Old man kratos is merely a shadow of his former self then. Why is life so cruel?!

Jigorath

Banned
The first God of War actually had a pretty strong narrative. It was from GOWII onwards that the story became trash and Kratos turned into a caricature of himself.

Renekton

GoW's combat:

img_5844_156999231.jpg

Top Bottom