• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony lists E3 games, explains God of War changes due to Europe

Endo Punk

DmC at least stayed in the same genre. Anyhoo, I'd say God of War 4 is more of a soft-reboot akin to RE7.

I'd prefer a brand new take on the franchise than being pale imitation. GOW was getting very tiring and repetitive, this is a welcome change and who better to strike confidence in the heart of fans than the director of arguably the best GOW.

Ajszenk

I am pretty dang surprised that Spiderman is showing up again. I really hope they are targeting a release in the next 18 months. Show me gameplay and I will be over the moon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good job Euroland for ruining God of War. 😤

I love GoW (and I'm European, although of the manlier Nordic variety 😉), but the old formula was clearly on its last legs. Ascension was a shell of the series' former glory. I welcome a fresh take on the franchise.

I am pretty dang surprised that Spiderman is showing up again. I really hope they are targeting a release in the next 18 months. Show me gameplay and I will be over the moon.

Really? I was fully expecting it. We've only really seen a teaser trailer so far, seems like it's about time we got some gameplay.

I think this is a very weird interpretation of why God of War sold better in US. There are loads of other reasons possible. Like, people treating Greek mythology differently, or not being into brutality, or being into brutality but not liking changes that reduced it (camera shot changes in Ascension were nothing compared to what apparently was deployed in first GoW... and some other Sony games), or localisation issues (not getting a dub, getting a worse dub etc.).

I don't hate new GoW and think it can work well but I thought that's what the devs wanted. This possibly being mandated by marketing is troubling.

Ovek

7Member7
Ugh does Sony or games in general really need another open world RPG light game? I mean really? Sony only just released Horizon...

Jamm3r

Banned
Definitely didn't care for GoW games before because I didn't care for hack n' slash...so now im even more excited.

I just hope my lack of GoW knowledge doesn't take away from the fun

Says a lot about the abundance of games yet to be released on the PS4 that Im hoping Uncharted 4's DLC and Days Gone would have their gameplay videos not shown during the E3 presentation so other upcoming games can take the spotlight.

Yet these are two games Im really looking forward to. Sony is spoilt for choice.

"Hack and slash games tend to not do so well in Europe, so the narrative this time around will make a big difference. European gamers love narrative games. And Singstar."

Singing mini game confirmed for GoW

I mean, there was the Guitar Hero-esque mini game in GOW3 where you had to hit the buttons as they passed along the screen.

Just throw in a bit of Kratos singing karaoke in a hostess bar and we've got a stew going.

Curufinwe

Arrogant Sony is back.

v0065_s-200x150.gif

I think this is a very weird interpretation of why God of War sold better in US. There are loads of other reasons possible. Like, people treating Greek mythology differently, or not being into brutality, or being into brutality but not liking changes that reduced it (camera shot changes in Ascension were nothing compared to what apparently was deployed in first GoW... and some other Sony games), or localisation issues (not getting a dub, getting a worse dub etc.).

I don't hate new GoW and think it can work well but I thought that's what the devs wanted. This possibly being mandated by marketing is troubling.

It sounds like that but I don't think it's actually like that, that's just PR talking. I'm confident that devs are doing exactly what they want, I don't take Cory as someone doing something he's not comfortable with.

sn00zer

I don't want a strong narrative in God of War. I just want to brutally murder everything in my path. Why does the require a story? Hopefully it turns out good, but I'm not too excited about this new path for GoW.
The major complaint of GOW Ascension was that it dodnt have a good narrative compared to the rest of the games. Hell Ghost of Sparta is arguably the best game in the series due to its narrative. Dunno why you are so quick to divorce bareative from the GOW series.

sensui-tomo

havent gone through all the pages but EU to blame for hack and slash not being popular? Tell that to Koei Tecmo as they've done every damn event/giveaway/bring games to cons for the Warriors series over there and that twitter/facebook/PR has more of a presence there than they do in the US.

RedAssedApe

Banned
they gotta have something for fall other than GT sport right? i guess past years has show it doesn't really matter. if it misses november they should push to next year instead of sending to die like TLG/Gravity Rush 2.

Year of dreams Q1 part 2

New God of War to have heavy singing sim elements. Become God of Song to win your sons love.

You heard it here first

Do you think them going Norse was by coincidence? Odin, among other things, is the god of bards, poetry and music.

Final boss battle will be a massive sing-off, Kratos soloing against Odin supported by a trio of Valkyries.

Epic shit.

I know right? lol another same-ish GoW would have been a bit boring, glad they wanna change things up and I fully trust Cory with that new direction.

Yeah, we got 6(!) traditional God of War games. This is good. If exectued well, this will be a game to remember for a long time.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Are we to believe this? Didn't Cory say he only came back for God of War because he wanted to do something different with it? And now it's for us Euro gamers? Gimme a break.

Karu

I deleted Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition after 30 minutes, DmC is great, though. Mhh...

Anyway, welcoming the change-up personally.

aadiboy

Ah, I get it now. The European studio Ninja Theory made DmC to sabotage the series. It was all an attempt to kill off the genre!

Sesha

I-dont-believe-you.gif

But I guess Barlog's standards for fast-paced satisfying combat differs from mine.

I'd prefer a brand new take on the franchise than being pale imitation. GOW was getting very tiring and repetitive, this is a welcome change and who better to strike confidence in the heart of fans than the director of arguably the best GOW.

I much prefer DmC to God of War 4 (or indeed any God of War), but I agree about the latter series becoming stale.

You're right. Just feel like the reimagining of the characters wasn't good for DmC.

I agree there, aside from Vergil's baller outfit.

Ajszenk

Really? I was fully expecting it. We've only really seen a teaser trailer so far, seems like it's about time we got some gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was going to be gone for a year. Seemed like the teaser was really early footage IMO and that it wouldn't be out til Fall 2018, Spring 2019 causing them to not show it for a year or so. Glad to be wrong about at least part of that though.

Are we to believe this? Didn't Cory say he only came back for God of War because he wanted to do something different with it? And now it's for us Euro gamers? Gimme a break.

The part about GoW being changed for Europe seems like Glixel's own opinion rather than Sony's. All Ryan says is that Europe tends to like narrative driven games, not necessarily that GoW was changed due to that. I think what may have happened is that Sony was more comfortable with the changes specifically because it opened the possibility of the series expanding its popularity outside of the US.

Top Bottom