• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

Jesus a lot of the complainers in this thread need to be cryogenically frozen until early 2016.

Then I can awake you from your slumber just before Uncharted 4 releases so you're happy.

Will let you know how Batman, Battlefront, No Mans Sky and Rime were whilst you slept.

EGM1966

Trolls complaining about library vindicated!

PS4 could beat XB1 with one hand tied behind its back folks are vindicated!

Guess that makes it a draw.

Looking at 2015 it total I wouldn't argue although as I only look to the whole offering available and not just exclusives I'm happy enough.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was personally hoping that some interesting titles from Sony Japan Studio would be announced at E3, but the pre-emptive damage control PR that inspired this thread makes that look extremely unlikely.

Ok, I didn't know if something else had been announced and then delayed or canned. Sony may take a hit this season, but the next uncharted game is too important to fuck up for Holiday 2015. It'll sell a few consoles when it hits, if not the amount it would in November.
Sony needs to be aggressive with its pricing strategy and maybe tie itself to No Man's Sky if that one is shaping up alright, simply because it looks like a different experience. That would be my suggestion

Angel_DvA

Let's be real a second, Sony first two years for the PS4 is bad as hell beside Bloodborne but they're better than Microsoft for sure, trying something new with new IP is better than releasing the same old games over and over, it's not working every time like The Order or DriveClub but they're trying something fresh and i like that, can't wait for until Dawn.

I was personally hoping that some interesting titles from Sony Japan Studio would be announced at E3, but the pre-emptive damage control PR that inspired this thread makes that look extremely unlikely.

Why are people coming to this conclusion? I really don't get it. They will announce new games at E3, but they won't be released this year, it's simple.

Somnia

Let's be real a second, Sony first two years for the PS4 is bad as hell beside Bloodborne but they're better than Microsoft for sure, trying something new with new IP is better than releasing the same old games over and over, it's not working every time like The Order or DriveClub but they're trying something fresh and i like that, can't wait for until Dawn.

Sunset Overdrive, Screamride, Ori and Ryse wasn't trying something new?

Showing third-party support is good but showing first-party games is way better.
Anyway, I'm still interested to see these exclusive third-party games.

Lucreto

It'd be an unpopular outlook, but it may be possible that PlayStation are attempting to underpromise and overdeliver.

Sony published 8 titles in 2013 and around the same the previous years. So far they published 2 this year (The Order and Bloodborne). Another 2 before November (God of War 3 Remaster and Until Dawn) and possibly another 2 (Uncharted Collection and Tearaway).

That is 6 titles this year.

pa22word

You don't seem to like Japanese titles. The usual third party stuff doesn't seem to interest you.

You probably should sell your PS4 after Bloodborne.

Edit: The fucking hyperbole in this thread is beyond saving.

I don't seem to like Japanese titles...hm, ok, so please tell me the game I keep my PS4 around for is made by who, exactly?

The only other must have title on that list from Japanese publisher I see is Persona 5, and that's not even exclusive to the system, nor is it a game I'm going to be playing to experience what the "jaw dropping" 8th gen upgrade is going to bestow upon a game that spent most of its life in development on the PS3 anyways.

The only other game on that list that perks my interest is R&C, but given how hit and miss the series has been lately I'm definitely not going to be busting down the doors of my local game store to buy it at midnight, either.

Kal_El

Judging by the Destiny thread the Comet expansion will be as big as some AAA releases if done correctly. It's such an amazing game. To show an amazing big expansion will benefit the platform like it is a brand new release. Like me and some others because of Destiny I still haven't played GTA V (much) or even started Witcher.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Those are all 3rd party. That other posters point still stands.

Wow, I have forgotten this argument since angry Nintendo fans were desperately trying to justify their GC purchase. This is the original goal post moved.

Look, whether its developed in house or outsourced to another developer, if it is developed and released to be played on a specific console and published by said console manufacturer, its a first party game. The first Mass Effect is STILL a first party game for the 360.

I don't seem to like Japanese titles...hm, ok, so please tell me the game I keep my PS4 around for is made by who, exactly?

The only other must have title on that list from Japanese publisher I see is Persona 5, and that's not even exclusive to the system, nor is it a game I'm going to be playing to experience what the "jaw dropping" 8th gen upgrade is going to bestow upon a game that spent most of its life in development on the PS3 anyways.

The only other game on that list that perks my interest is R&C, but given how hit and miss the series has been lately I'm definitely not going to be busting down the doors of my local game store to buy it at midnight, either.

There's... quite a few Japanese titles on that list, I'm not sure how you missed some of them (D5 stands out). And that list isn't even exhaustive of all the of the titles. I mean, you are right that Persona 5 is on PS3/PS4 but I figure, if your contemplating selling your PS4, why keep your PS3 instead? Why not sell the PS3 and keep the PS4? Or why not sell both? It might be a PS3/PS4 title but it's still a reason to own a PS4.

Edit: Also, that's what my initial post was intended to convey. If you don't like major third party stuff and japanese games, you should sell your PS4. I'm not joking, I'm being honest. Aside from the few major first party projects here and there like Bloodborne, you probably won't be satisfied with the output if you aren't interested in a large swath of the library.

Ugh... And to think we all complained that the PS3 had no games back in 2007/2008. Looking back, it certainly did. It just didn't feel like it because the console was missing out on features and a killer online title like the 360 had.

$400 for delays, remasters, and indie titles you can play on your computer.
I don't get how or why the 'PC' is suddenly brought into the equation with that argument unless you're evaluating the PS4 purely as a secondary platform to play games on.

The PS4 has plenty of games to play. Exclusives? Not so much, but this 'cross gen, mutliplatform, digital, etc ...' games don't count as games is getting tired, especially when the PS3 library of mostly inferior X360 ports is being applauded in the same post.

It's a far better main or secondary platform to play games on than the PS3 was.

Iacobellis

M°°nblade;165492473 said:
I don't get how or why the 'PC' is suddenly brought into the equation with that argument unless you're evaluating the PS4 purely as a secondary platform to play games on.

The PS4 has plenty of games to play. Exclusives? Not so much, but this 'cross gen, mutliplatform, digital, etc ...' games don't count as games is getting tired, especially when the PS3 library of mostly inferior X360 ports is being applauded in the same post.

It's a far better main or secondary platform to play games on than the PS3 was.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be counted as games, but most of the indie titles being touted on the PS4 are also available day and date on the PC. Something like Rime, which I've been looking forward to almost two years now, was shown off once and just vanished.

Somnia

Those are all 3rd party. That other posters point still stands.

well, huh we're talking about first party, even if not, Ori and Ryse aren't exclusive, Screamride is whatever ... but Sunset Overdrive is good.

Actually only one game listed by him is made by Sony. From, SMG and RAD are not owned by Sony. So my point stands.

Angel is right a couple are on PC also, but they aren't available on PS4 and are published and funded by MS which makes them a try by MS, just MS allows them to also be on PC.

Due to this thread, Sony will ask Media Molecule, Sony Bend, Guerrilla, Team ICO, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, Quantic Dream, Polyphony and Naughty Dog to have trailers ready for E3. ;)

Before the PS4 was announced, I knew it would be the next console for me simply because of the first party games. My favorite games from last generation were all first party titles for the PS3, it's hugely frustrating that their output thus far has been so poor. Eventually PD, SSM and ND will release their games made ground up for the PS4 but at present, it's getting a tad stupid that I'm watching a conference thinking that surely it's time they announced what they are working on.

It's not a huge deal for me as I play 1 game every couple months or so and for the moment, Bloodborne is amazing and Batman is out next month, along with NFS, FIFA and Black Ops 3 coming near the end of the year so there's games for me to play. But shit, would take GOW 4 or GT7 over any game that has been announced or released so far on any of these next generation consoles. I consider PD, SSM, ND and MM to be the top tier Sony studios, three of those have not even announced their PS4 games that aren't ports and Bloodborne, Order 1886 are not from Sony studios so the internal studios are fucking up big time.

I've got high hopes for the likes of GOW4, Barlog being back for me is a huge deal and his pedigree tells me the game will be amazing. But he rejoined the studio almost two years ago now, would have thought they would at least tease something at this point. Infamous: SS was a little bare bones but it's my favourite game on the PS4, seeing as though it was also my first game on the system it's sad no game has upped it over a year later. It's not even the AAA games for me, where did those indie games fuck off to? The Witness is MIA, Tomorrows Children surfaced early this year any nothing since.

This E3 is going to be a big deal, if they don't announce anything from the likes of GG, SSM, PD, MM etc then we are going to be waiting a huge amount of time for those studios to release their next games. GOW4 for example release next year would have given it a 3 year cycle, if it's not announced this E3 then that's a 2017 title which is insane.

Poor show so far SCE, get your shit together please!

Ricky_R

Actually only one game listed by him is made by Sony. From and RAD are not owned by Sony. So my point stands.

Sony owns both IP's though, as well as Until Dawn's. It's still a grey area, I know. Personally, I consider first party games those who the publisher own, regardless of who develops them.

Anyway, it's evident that Sony usually takes more risks when it comes to publishing games.

BibiMaghoo

Look, whether its developed in house or outsourced to another developer, if it is developed and released to be played on a specific console and published by said console manufacturer, its a first party game. The first Mass Effect is STILL a first party game for the 360.

This hinges entirely on people definitions of first party. To me, first party is a game from a developer owned by a first party. Mass effect would never have counted, and certainly doesn't now. It was an exclusive title, but how can it be first party when they had to money hat it to keep it on one platform for a time? That doesn't make sense to label it that way. It was not made BY a first party, only for one.

Also:

first-party
English
Adjective
Of a video game, developed and published by company responsible for the platform on which it is released (or its internal developers), as opposed to third-party.

Condom

It was announced when SE thought XB1 would be in a better position than it is now in the US and especially WW. Just because they announced it doesnt mean they cant cancel it.

Like, wtf is with people and the Xbone?

Just because it's behind PS4 doesn't mean no game is economically feasable to be released on it.

You guys sound like the PS3 haters from last gen. Jesus.

BuzzZaw75

Neo Member
All they have to do is come up with some 20-30 second teaser for "Bloodborne 2" and that will send the audience and critics into orbit.......

Somnia

Sony Japan co develop Bloodborne and The Order is Sony IP, whoever makes it ( even if RAD have done nothing than Sony games period )

You realize MS Studios also helps co develop games right? They have entire teams that assist with games like Ori, Sunset, etc. MS has entire teams and game directors that are dedicated to funded MS titles even if they are an outside company.

It doesn't matter that Sunset isn't owned by MS, it was published by them as an exclusive and fully funded by them. Sequels may show up elsewhere but the first is a console only game for MS so it counts.

You can't say "oh MS doesn't own the IP so they didn't try anything new". Because if you are thats just being ignorant.

Edit: I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't try more risks because they do 100%, I'm arguing that MS doesn't take risks also.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you took every post where people cherry pick what games they consider 'good', you'd probably end up with most of the PS4 releases

I can't believe we're still debating semantics of first-party games.

If tomorrow, MS and Sony shuts down all their studios, and rely on funding games by non-owned developers, but have no change in quantity/quality of output, are we going to somehow argue that is less 'pure' than their internal studios?

WWS games are WWS games, regardless of ND or RAD. The only difference is that we know for a fact that ND's game 1,2,3,4,5 will all be Sony exclusive, whereas with external funding, unless they've got a multi-game deal, we don't know if there'll be a sequel from them or a will their next game be a platform exclusive as well.

Not sure why people are thinking that just because House said this then that means they have nothing for this E3 and he's trying to get out in front of it. E3 is a snapshot of stuff you are working on, just because they might not have much more for this fall doesn't mean they can't announce a lot of 2016 plans.

Like, wtf is with people and the Xbone?

Just because it's behind PS4 doesn't mean no game is economically feasable to be released on it.

Cut the shit already, you guys sound like the PS3 haters from last gen. Jesus.

I agree to a point. KH3 and Final Fantasy are big enough games where the sales split between XB1 and PS4 when it comes to Japanese games is covered by the expected sales.

Smaller games like P5 or Star Ocean, not so much.

Ricky_R

unless they've got a multi-game deal, we don't know if there'll be a sequel from them or a will their next game be a platform exclusive as well.

Well, with Sony we know since they always get to keep the IP when they reach an exclusive deal. We don't know if there will be a The Order sequel, for example, but we do know that if there's one, it won't be released on any other platform.

Percy

Banned
That telling people who say that at this point in their respective lifecycles previous generations had more games in general and more varied libraries are telling a "revisionist history" is in itself a revisionist history.

You can't seem to make up your mind if you're trying to make a 'quantity' argument or a 'quality' argument here though, so if you could settle on one maybe the discussion wouldn't be making you so angry.

Somnia

Just to be clear I was just responding to a guy who said MS just repeats the same IP over and over and doesnt take risks or try with other IP. Never implied one takes bigger chances than the other. I was just pointing out MS does fund new IP and risks is all.

Well, with Sony we know since they always get to keep the IP when they reach an exclusive deal. We don't know if there will be a The Order sequel, for example, but we do know that if there's one, it won't be released on any other platform.

I know that. I mean devs could always work on a new IP that belongs to someone else.

Condom

I agree to a point. KH3 and Final Fantasy are big enough games where the sales split between XB1 and PS4 when it comes to Japanese games is covered by the expected sales.

Smaller games like P5 or Star Ocean, not so much.

It's not like there is a market for JRPGs on the Xbone though.

Maybe they are, the game has changed but the players remain the same.

You guys are right and I was a bit too hateful myself (that's why I edited my post a bit).

It's just that it's the same thing all over again. It's even more silly now because porting between the two doesn't cost that much. Big publishers can fork that initial investment easily and make some profit from a game that is pretty much good to go for the platform you want to port it to.

I'm pretty sure it's a 2017 title. It went into active development about a year ago, right? These things take time.

I would hope not, he rejoined SSM in August 2013. At worst I would have thought the game could at least development by the end of that year, sure a lot of people at SSM were let go however that was Stigs game that ended up being a total fuck up. There were still more than enough people at SSM to start full development on an AAA game.

I can't see things getting worse in terms of SCE output of PS4 exclusives in the future, I knew from last year that 2014 AND 2015 would be shit, it was terribly obvious. Sony talk a lot of shit about shorter windows between announcement and release of games, but how many did they actually follow up on with that claim? RIME, UC4, Rapture, Gravity Rush 2 are games which come to mind where the games were announced way too early. Sony don't announce any release games in short windows, maybe GT6 scared them or something but it was obvious form early last year that Sony first games would have nothing of not until 2016.

Something will give in 2016 as well, lets be honest. UC4, Ratchet, Horizon from GG, new IP from MM, GOW 4, Bends game. I think we will be lucky to get three games in total from those mentioned studios releasing that year, have to wonder how Sony did indeed fuck this up so badly. I ain't gonna blame Yoshida as he's just one guy and can't micromanage the 2000+ employees in Sonys first party but the studio heads need to get their shit together.

So the Vita is a "legacy system" and first party games heading into the holidays are "sparse"...anything else to say right before E3 to deflate my hype? Does the beloved family dog have rabies, perchance?

Because Sony's first-party announcements at E3 are largely announcements for games in the following years? Historically, out of say, 6-7 announcements, 1-2 at best will drop in the same year, and the remaining games are all "current year +1/2/3"

And lol at thinking Vita would ever be a presence on the E3 conference stage.

goonergaz

Just to be clear I was just responding to a guy who said MS just repeats the same IP over and over and doesnt take risks or try with other IP. Never implied one takes bigger chances than the other. I was just pointing out MS does fund new IP and risks is all.

Well of course they take risks just Sony take substatially more...people are argueing that PS4 is collecting dust due to playing more on XBO which is frankly a rediculus arguement unless you need to play Halo or Forza every day.

Somnia

Well of course they take risks just Sony take substatially more...people are argueing that PS4 is collecting dust due to playing more on XBO which is frankly a rediculus arguement unless you need to play Halo or Forza every day.

Well I'm staying out of that fight lol. I just wanted to correct the poster that MS does in fact try new IP is all. Not sticking my nose into the rest of that shit.

Though you're continuing it with the Halo and Forza comment which wasn't needed at all. There's plenty to play on XB1 everyday beyond those. I hate that fucking statement because it's not true.

I'm hoping Rime, No Man's Sky and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture make it out this year.

If Tomorrow Children makes it this year I should be fine without any retail releases.

You forgot The Witness.

I'd take those games over a 343 Halo game any year. Bungie Halo (pre-Reach) is another story, but that's in the past.

Top Bottom