• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "Our 1st party lineup a little sparse this year"; emphasis on 3rd party support

driveclub & s.o were new IPs, and the former & lbp3 had bad reviews/publicity. in contrast, Uc2 was the top selling game in the month of its release, which was october. so I think Q4 this year will be different, with the likes of halo 5 and rotr being around.

Halo 5 will be different by virtue of it being "Halo." It's like Zelda, Smash, Kart, Gran Turismo, Uncharted aka in the few first first-party IPs that are competitive with the holiday behemoths.

Tomb Raider did well over a long-stretch of time, but we aren't sure how much of that was due to discounts/low prices/Steam. With it being exclusive to a platform that the IP didn't do a lot to begin with, it's very much a wait-and-see situation for Tomb Raider, even considering that MS is likely to bundle the hell out of RotTR.

Did Little Big Planet 3 really hurt the franchise or is it due to people being not interested in the franchise no more?

Personally, I'd say more the latter than the former.

LBP2 was released in January 2011. Back then, the marketplace for children-focused games was still relatively slim. Some Lego games here and there, but I don't remember much competition.

Today?

Multiple Lego licensed games. Skylanders. Disney Infinity. Minecraft. Lego Dimensions.

The market was hit pretty hard by ridiculously tough competition in the past 3 years.

Halo 5 will be different by virtue of it being "Halo." It's like Zelda, Smash, Kart, Gran Turismo, Uncharted aka in the few first first-party IPs that are competitive with the holiday behemoths.
exactly, and Uncharted was supposed to be a title to encompany halo 5 in the halloween/thanksgiving/christmas release window. that's what potential tens of millions of people were looking forward to, and now that has become an empty void for them & sony. so is it right to just keep it empty when something so high profile was there in the first place?

Tomb Raider did well over a long-stretch of time, but we aren't sure how much of that was due to discounts/low prices/Steam. With it being exclusive to a platform that the IP didn't do a lot to begin with, it's very much a wait-and-see situation for Tomb Raider, even considering that MS is likely to bundle the hell out of RotTR.
I think just the fact that it is exclusive will give it some more attention tbh. and yeah, bundles of course.

sense

Personally, I'd say more the latter than the former.

LBP2 was released in January 2011. Back then, the marketplace for children-focused games was still relatively slim. Some Lego games here and there, but I don't remember much competition.

Today?

Multiple Lego licensed games. Skylanders. Disney Infinity. Minecraft. Lego Dimensions.

The market was hit pretty hard by ridiculously tough competition in the past 3 years.

not only that but the novelty wore off and I don't think user generated content is as popular as it was during that time.

so is it right to just keep it empty when something so high profile was there in the first place?

Right or not, new games of similar calibre don't magically pop up to replace another when one is delayed.

Either games were already ready by that point of time, or moneyhats happen to deny existing games of another platform just to have an exclusive.

not only that but the novelty wore off and I don't think user generated content is as popular as it was during that time.

Expectations of UCG nowadays are also more about actual creation (Minecraft), rather than level/toolset creation, which was more of LPB's thing.

Did Little Big Planet 3 really hurt the franchise or is it due to people being not interested in the franchise no more?
to me it was the former. LBP2 was critically acclaimed and I think it sold decently. I've been a hardcore LBP fan and I was disappointed with LBP3 long before it was released. But its fiasco during release didn't help either.
Right or not, new games of similar calibre don't magically pop up to replace another when one is delayed.

Either games were already ready by that point of time, or moneyhats happen to deny existing games of another platform just to have an exclusive.
It doesn't have to be of the same calibre, but it's better than doing nothing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I blame it on media coverage and consumer perspective. Because the media isn't going gaga over these titles, many people don't even realize that they've been released. When you combine that with the arguments like it's cross-gen, not AAA, or any other random argument, you get left with it not really being a "game"

I guess that's a valid argument...

It doesn't have to be of the same calibre, but it's better than doing nothing.

Credible sources are reporting Uncharted Collection for this fall. And while it's probably 'reading too much into it', UC4's MP designer has been tweeting a lot of UC4 MP... possibly teasing UC4 MP beta?

So, that's something...?

I'm probably going to make a thread about it soon but here's a question

"Why do japanese games not exist anymore?" I mean, you can list as many fun interesting Japanese games as you want, but its like they aren't even there if they arent Western/ized or AAA launching in November and December specifically, and even then its a struggle to get anyone to recognize a lot of the software that comes out.

We have about more than 10 fully retail Japanese games coming Westward to PS4 this year, and we're still talking about how there's nothing there besides western third parties and Until Dawn/Teraway.

Bring up some of these games and they aren't even noted.

Case it point being Toukiden which i've probably spent more hours on individually than a lot of games this year, but its never included in games that came out at all

It's because the Japanese games on PS4 are a lot more niche so far.

PS2 would have had Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Dark Cloud and Ico by now.

What does the PS4 have that compares? Bloodborne, a Final Fantasy PSP remaster and a Metal Gear prologue.

Not the same at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

PS2 would have had Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Dark Cloud and Ico by now.

What does the PS4 have that compares? Bloodborne, a Final Fantasy PSP remaster and a Metal Gear prologue.

Not the same at all.

I'm not really talking about the same old franchises. I'm talking about new games that are actually good but just never get mentioned in any conversations. "Niche" is only a word and doesn't explain anything about it unfortunately.

Not the same at all.

In what world is Ico not niche?

And there's a few more Japanese games on PS4 then your list is giving it credit for that are out right now.

Credible sources are reporting Uncharted Collection for this fall. And while it's probably 'reading too much into it', UC4's MP designer has been tweeting a lot of UC4 MP... possibly teasing UC4 MP beta?

So, that's something...?
yes, that is something but it's disappointing that that's what it has come down to.

yes, that is something but it's disappointing that that's what it has come down to.

Reality of game development when you don't have an annualisation model in place for for your biggest IPs.

A single missed deadline could immediately make your line-up lookweaker simply by having the 'biggest' game miss it, even though it's just one game.

In Sony's case though, it's 2 games. (Ratchet & UC4)

Reality of game development when you don't have an annualisation model in place for for your biggest IPs.

A single missed deadline could immediately make your line-up lookweaker simply by having the 'biggest' game miss it, even though it's just one game.

Well to be fair not many were giving R&C much respect as a holiday release. I think it will benefit from the delay.

Well to be fair not many were giving R&C much respect as a holiday release. I think it will benefit from the delay.

Well, ideally the game needs to launch close-or-together with the movie, given that it's the aim in the first place, to take advantage of the cross-media marketing. (like SW Battlefront & the Episode VII)

In what world is Ico not niche?

And there's a few more Japanese games on PS4 then your list is giving it credit for that are out right now.

Eh, I guess Ico is niche, but it's a critically acclaimed first party release so I counted it.

And what would you list on PS4? I'm only counting the big games, I left stuff like Zone of the Enders and Onimusha off the PS2 list as well.

i don't think ratchet's delay had nearly the same effect as Uc4's. other than that, i guess i can't say i disagree

Eh, I guess Ico is niche, but it's a critically acclaimed first party release so I counted it.

And what would you list on PS4? I'm only counting the big games, I left stuff like Zone of the Enders and Onimusha off the PS2 list as well.

Stuff out, I was thinking of something like GG: XRD. Stuff coming out, that list is pretty clear, from P5 to Star Ocean and everything in between.

But I guess my bigger point was... why does it matter if its niche or not? A quality title is a quality title.

More like 6 months. Microsoft published the 360 version, EA bought Bioware a month before the 360 release and then published Mass Effect on PC 6 months later.
On PC yeah. Microsoft still had the console publishing rights at the time, as evidenced by the re-releases of the Platinum Hits version (2009) and a CrackDown/Mass Effect double pack (2011). EA published the 360 version of Trilogy in 2012, 5 years after ME1 originally came out. I think it's safe to say ME was always going to come to PC whether or not EA bought BioWare.

Klossen

Banned
I'm probably going to make a thread about it soon but here's a question

"Why do japanese games not exist anymore?" I mean, you can list as many fun interesting Japanese games as you want, but its like they aren't even there if they arent Western/ized or AAA launching in November and December specifically, and even then its a struggle to get anyone to recognize a lot of the software that comes out.
Western media coverage has been ignoring Japanese games for some years now. I made a thread listing Japanese releases for 2015 to put things into perspective. Honestly, if not for Japan, I wouldn't even be playing games today. They seem to stick to their AA game and focus on putting out a consistent number of games instead of five AAA games during November.

Japanese publishers are also sort of bad at marketing their games compared to Western publishers. And we live in an age where what isn't marketed isn't worth one's attention. This is why Destiny got tenfold the attention online than the entire 2014 Japanese game output put together.

Here is the thread I made. It's pretty hard looking at it and claiming Japan still isn't vital part of console gaming, despite all the doom and gloom on NeoGaf.

flozuki

The games sold extremely well. Not sure why that is so hard to believe.
Because they were pretty fast in the bargain bin as I alteady wrote. That is the reason I am asking.

And of course it would be interesting to see how many times it was downloaded for free as part of the "goodwill" offer. Despite that there is no discussion about the quality, it is a good franchise.

Why are people under the incorrect assumption that Xbox has more games?!

delusions. it's seriously pathetic.

it's the same with, "oh oh oh oh sony doesn't have a triple a game this holiday! they need one!" then they go on other threads, "indie or aaa they're all games!"

give me a break.

I can't remember PS2 Era too well but it was similar no? Sure Sony had first party support but I don't think it was at the levels that PS3 had.

I dunno thinking longer than that sentence I just wrote I guess they did have a decent amount including second parties and Naughty Dog...

It's a different era now... Games are HD and require so much to sell that it takes a huge budget... if your console is doing gang busters with out you really needing to get in there like the PS3... you could probably hold off on a ton of first party support while third parties see their day in the sun.

Fine with me. I love the PS4 as a console, and as long as Sony puts out about 2 to 3 high quality games of their own a year and I get my pick at whatever 3rd party game. I'm fine.

Sid

So what are we expecting for next year besides Uncharted 4? Gravity Rush 2,Bend and GG's games? maybe a Demon's Souls remaster?

So what are we expecting for next year besides Uncharted 4? Gravity Rush 2,Bend and GG's games?maybe a Demon's Souls remaster?

The Last Guardian(why not)
Media Molecule new IP
Sony London Morpheus game
Quantic Dream new IP (possibly)
Ratchet & Clank

The last two are 2nd party I guess, but Sony owns the IPs.

So what are we expecting for next year besides Uncharted 4? Gravity Rush 2,Bend and GG's games?maybe a Demon's Souls remaster?

That just about covers it. I think it'll be Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Street Figther V (I know its not 1st party), WiLD, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon and maybe Bend's game. Rime and The Tomorrow Children may slip into next year, but I'm still confident they'll get released this year.

Top Bottom