• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

That wasn't a minute ago though. But in any case, i will do as you say

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...n-boss-andrew-house-ps4-neo-microsoft-scorpio

Basically, NEO was made for the purpose of a marginally upgraded machine to the base numbered unit in the grand scheme of things, designed to play the games made for the numbered unit at a higher level, not intended to be a brand new platform. I think they will go forward like this, with the numbered unit being their true refresh, and the potential NEO midgen console being a marginal upgrade of that same tech to play those games designed for it better.
Well, fair enough; I suppose it can be read either way, now that I look at it again. I understand where you're coming from, but I think your interpretation is colored by wishful thinking. Personally, I don't imagine House shares your desire to see iterative consoles fail, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part! lol <3

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well, fair enough; I suppose it can be read either way, now that I look at it again. I understand where you're coming from, but I think your interpretation is colored by wishful thinking. Personally, I don't imagine House shares your desire to see iterative consoles fail, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part! lol <3

Well they dont have to fail,they just aren't going to be the all compassing way forward. Sony still wants generational leaps and developers to take advantage of better hardware in the same way they always have. They also want iterative units inside the generational cycle at the same time. Like having your cake and eating it, it also serves as a refresh point for the base numbered unit and gets some hype back into the game, it staves off hardware stagnation

eerik9000

16.5M to go!

And they're nicely on track for 20 million. Similar 16.7% growth in the next three quarters would put them around 20.5 million. They still have PS VR, PS4 Neo, GT Sport and Horizon: Zero Dawn launching before the end of the fiscal year. Not to mention they should see a nice growth in Japan with Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, Yakuza 6, etc.being released.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nah, multiplats sell consoles, where your friends are and value are more important, exclusives are a bonus

Third party may indeed sell consoles, but so does having and showing games that are in the future. Along with first party games like Last of us remastered, Uncharted collection, Uncharted 4, that were bundled and help sell consoles.

It helps establish that they have a wealth of games and experiences you can't get anywhere else. And that is a big selling point.

DieH@rd

Banned
And they're nicely on track for 20 million. Similar 16.7% growth in the next three quarters would put them around 20.5 million. They still have PS VR, PS4 Neo, GT Sport and Horizon: Zero Dawn launching before the end of the fiscal year. Not to mention they should see a nice growth in Japan with Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest XI, Yakuza 6, etc.being released.

Calendar Q1 2017 has nice array of games that will push sales of PS4 [by that time base PS4 should be dropped to $299, and Neo will be there for more invested customers].

Jan 24 - Resident Evil 7
Feb 4 - For Honor
Feb 4 - Persona 5 [US and hopefully EU release]
Feb 24 - Horizon Zero Dawn
March 7 - Ghost Recon Wildlands

Calendar Q1 2017 has nice array of games that will push sales of PS4 [by that time base PS4 should be dropped to $299, and Neo will be there for more invested customers].

Jan 24 - Resident Evil 7
Feb 4 - For Honor
Feb 4 - Persona 5 [US and hopefully EU release]
Feb 24 - Horizon Zero Dawn
March 7 - Ghost Recon Wildlands

Yakuza 0 will push at least another 5 million PS4s in the west.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yakuza 0 will push at least another 5 million PS4s in the west.

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Well they dont have to fail,they just aren't going to be the all compassing way forward. Sony still wants generational leaps and developers to take advantage of better hardware in the same way they always have. They also want iterative units inside the generational cycle at the same time. Like having your cake and eating it, it also serves as a refresh point for the base numbered unit and gets some hype back into the game, it staves off hardware stagnation
The main motivation for incremental consoles is not letting consumers off the hook and keeping them comfortably in the ecosystem. This assures a constant flow of subscription money and eases the pain of fighting over and over again for the consumers with every new gen starting practically at zero.
It will be interesting to see if there is a PS5 after Neo. If they really mean it there shouldn't.
Only another NeoNeo with the newest games playing best on the newest console and, further down the line, still playable on the old Neo and PS4.

Inuhanyou

The main motivation for incremental consoles is not letting consumers off the hook and keeping them comfortably in the ecosystem. This assures a constant flow of subscription money and eases the pain of fighting over and over again for the consumers with every new gen starting practically at zero.
It will be interesting to see if there is a PS5 after Neo. If they really mean it there shouldn't.
Only another NeoNeo with the newest games playing best on the newest console and, further down the line, still playable on the old Neo and PS4.

Uh, they can do that though by prioritizing full BC with the previous hardware and their full digital ecosystem carrying over for users to the new hardware.

Trying to arbitrarily lock devs to the lowest common denominator in a development sense even when putting out bigger and better hardware i feel is the exact opposite of what the console strengths are. Forwards compatibility in the core gming market only works on PC because there is always some bottom limitation, but consoles are what push that kind of overarching game design forward. Without that, there's no real way to have any order in regards to how things are made and developed.

Uh, they can do that though by prioritizing full BC with the previous hardware and their full digital ecosystem carrying over for users to the new hardware.

Trying to arbitrarily lock devs to the lowest common denominator in a development sense even when putting out bigger and better hardware i feel is the exact opposite of what the console strengths are. Forwards compatibility in the core gming market only works on PC because there is always some bottom limitation, but consoles are what push that kind of overarching game design forward. Without that, there's no real way to have any order in regards to how things are made and developed.
BC and library of old stuff is not keeping people in the garden. It's a nice bonus, not more.
It's the new stuff that counts, and it will work as on PC.
I could play newest games on my Laptop. They look and play like ass, but I could.
With incremental consoles it would be the same, just not as harsh. For high end games, one iteration back plays it okay, two back okayish, three back nearly unplayable, but hey, maybe it's just time to finally, after 10 years get a new console.
For lower quality new releases this might reach even one iteration further down.

Well they don't have to fail,they just aren't going to be the all compassing way forward.
My point is that a newer, more expensive PlayStation is going to have virtually no appeal once it's understood to only have half of a console's normal lifespan. This is accepted with slim models because slims are a cheaper replacement for the existing hardware. It's understood that the clock is already ticking on this particular spec; that's why it's cheaper now. As I keep saying, Neo is entirely unlike a slim — just look at how many times you've had to explain yourself when your try to claim it is — so I'm not sure why it should have the lifespan of one. Guess we'll see. /shrug

Sony still wants generational leaps and developers to take advantage of better hardware in the same way they always have. They also want iterative units inside the generational cycle at the same time. Like having your cake and eating it, it also serves as a refresh point for the base numbered unit and gets some hype back into the game, it staves off hardware stagnation
But they can have all of those things with cross-gen compatibility. I'm not sure why you think they can't. =/

Forwards compatibility in the core gming market only works on PC because there is always some bottom limitation, but consoles are what push that kind of overarching game design forward. Without that, there's no real way to have any order in regards to how things are made and developed.
Come again? Sony can mandate whatever kind of support they like on their platform. Sony wants all games to have Trophies? Done. Sony want all games to run with acceptable performance on n-1? Done. Sony thinks you'll maximize your sales if your game can run on n-3 too? Yeah, we'd already determined the same, Sony.

BC and library of old stuff is not keeping people in the garden. It's a nice bonus, not more.
It's the new stuff that counts, and it will work as on PC.
I could play newest games on my Laptop. They look and play like ass, but I could.
With incremental consoles it would be the same, just not as harsh. For high end games, one iteration back plays it okay, two back okayish, three back nearly unplayable, but hey, maybe it's just time to finally, after 10 years get a new console.
For lower quality new releases this might reach even one iteration further down.
Exactly. Sony are actually here to sell us games, not hardware per se.

Like I said, Shu did say PS5 is "an if." Perhaps we're moving towards PS&#8734;. Seems like a step forward, to me.

sense

There will most likely be a ps5. It communicates a clean break as far as power and capability goes and people will not be going around asking questions like is this a ps4 but slightly better, or an add on etc.... They can call it ps5 and still be cross gen where they let the developers decide if they want to support the older ps4 and neo or if they need the extra power. With neo they are making sure devs don't make any kind of exclusive features or modes and all games should support both but with ps5 sony can leave it up to the developers and tell their customers that if a game is on ps4 then your purchase will carry over to the ps5 whenever you decide to upgrade due to back compatibility. A new number will always tell the customer that it is the next big thing and that is why I think ps5 will happen

Inuhanyou

There will most likely be a ps5. It communicates a clean break as far as power and capability goes and people will not be going around asking questions like is this a ps4 but slightly better, or an add on etc.... They can call it ps5 and still be cross gen where they let the developers decide if they want to support the older ps4 and neo or if they need the extra power. With neo they are making sure devs don't make any kind of exclusive features or modes and all games should support both but with ps5 sony can leave it up to the developers and tell their customers that if a game is on ps4 then your purchase will carry over to the ps5 whenever you decide to upgrade due to back compatibility. A new number will always tell the customer that it is the next big thing and that is why I think ps5 will happen

yeah

gtj1092

I think if Sony wasn't planning a ps5 or forgoing generations then the ps4 would of had a more neutral name. Like just "PlayStation zen" or something. You have to visibly communicate on packaging that somehow all these games marked ps6 or ps5 or whatever are also ps4 games. Just gets confusing. I don't see how if ps4 neo is a ps4 and how having a ps5 be a new generation is cutting the neos life short.

I think if Sony wasn't planning a ps5 or forgoing generations then the ps4 would of had a more neutral name. Like just "PlayStation zen" or something. You have to visibly communicate on packaging that somehow all these games marked ps6 or ps5 or whatever are also ps4 games. Just gets confusing. I don't see how if ps4 neo is a ps4 and how having a ps5 be a new generation is cutting the neos life short.
yeah me either, its like saying someone just getting their PS4’s this year is walking into a “short” gen cycle.

Neo is a better PS4, but it’s still a PS4. It doesn’t have exclusive games, it’s not the next playstation. I don’t see anything wrong with PS5 coming out in 2020. I plan on getting a Neo, and I certainly won’t feel like my Neo’s lifespan was short, it just makes gaming in the PS4 ecosystem much more bearable because now we have something new to tinker around with.

I don’t think people understand how long 2-3 years are to be playing with the same device. People go through phones and tablets, often 3x as much as consoles, like every other year.

Inuhanyou

Exactly. And its not as if the PS4 and NEO is automatically going to be cut short when PS5 comes out, when has that ever been the case for Playstation consoles? They can sell it in low income areas at a reduced price

yeah me either, its like saying someone just getting their PS4&#8217;s this year is walking into a &#8220;short&#8221; gen cycle.

Neo is a better PS4, but it&#8217;s still a PS4. It doesn&#8217;t have exclusive games, it&#8217;s not the next playstation. I don&#8217;t see anything wrong with PS5 coming out in 2020. I plan on getting a Neo, and I certainly won&#8217;t feel like my Neo&#8217;s lifespan was short, it just makes gaming in the PS4 ecosystem much more bearable because now we have something new to tinker around with.

I don&#8217;t think people understand how long 2-3 years are to be playing with the same device. People go through phones and tablets, often 3x as much as consoles, like every other year.

Dude, its like your reading my mind

yeah me either, its like saying someone just getting their PS4’s this year is walking into a “short” gen cycle.
They are walking in to a shortened cycle, but they do it with eyes open, because they know this was the top-of-the-line, latest-and-greatest hardware three years ago, when it was introduced for $399. Now — because it's three years closer to obsolescence — the price has come down all the way to $299 (we're assuming). A half-dead console is what your $100 savings buys you. This tradeoff is well established — price and lifespan tick down from launch.

Now Neo comes along. Does it play new games, or enable new modes? Nope, it's just the top-of-the-line, latest-and-greatest hardware, being introduced today for $399. (I think we all agree that's the minimum price for Neo, yes?) Now, how do you explain to the average consumer that this launch-day, launch-price hardware is being EOL'd at the same time as the hardware that's three years older? Is it three-years-better, or not? If it really is new, why doesn't it last as long as every other "new" console does? If it's not as good as new hardware, why does it cost as much as new hardware? Your next one is gonna last people six years, right? Just not the one I paid top dollar for because reasons? Da fuq?

Neo is a better PS4, but it’s still a PS4. It doesn’t have exclusive games, it’s not the next playstation. I don’t see anything wrong with PS5 coming out in 2020. I plan on getting a Neo, and I certainly won’t feel like my Neo’s lifespan was short, it just makes gaming in the PS4 ecosystem much more bearable because now we have something new to tinker around with.

I don’t think people understand how long 2-3 years are to be playing with the same device. People go through phones and tablets, often 3x as much as consoles, like every other year.
The market of people looking to replace their console every three years is vanishingly small. Most people agree that replacing your console after five or six years is more reasonable. House seems to understand this, given that he thinks someone who buys new hardware should expect 5-6 years before it starts feeling outdated. I just don't know why people think he meant, "… except anyone who buys Neo, obviously, because it's so new, it's old."

sense

They are walking in to a shortened cycle, but they do it with eyes open, because they know this was the top-of-the-line, latest-and-greatest hardware three years ago, when it was introduced for $399. Now — because it's three years closer to obsolescence — the price has come down all the way to $299 (we're assuming). A half-dead console is what your $100 savings buys you. This tradeoff is well established — price and lifespan tick down from launch.

Now Neo comes along. Does it play new games, or enable new modes? Nope, it's just the top-of-the-line, latest-and-greatest hardware, being introduced today for $399. (I think we all agree that's the minimum price for Neo, yes?) Now, how do you explain to the average consumer that this launch-day, launch-price hardware is being EOL'd at the same time as the hardware that's three years older? Is it three-years-better, or not? If it really is new, why doesn't it last as long as every other "new" console does? If it's not as good as new hardware, why does it cost as much as new hardware? Your next one is gonna last people six years, right? Just not the one I paid top dollar for because reasons? Da fuq?

The market of people looking to replace their console every three years is vanishingly small. Most people agree that replacing your console after five or six years is more reasonable. House seems to understand this, given that he thinks someone who buys new hardware should expect 5-6 years before it starts feeling outdated. I just don't know why people think he meant, "… except anyone who buys Neo, obviously, because it's so new, it's old."

If you waited three years to pick up a ps4/ps4 neo then you will most likely wait 3 years to pick up a ps5/ps5 neo. It is all about options. As a launch ps4 owner, if I pick up a neo I know I can either pick up a ps5 in 3 years or wait 6 years and pick up a ps5 Neo. If I had waited to get a ps4 till now and pick up a neo instead then I am more likely to do the same for ps5. The bottom line is that the average consumer is aware of this trend with phones, tablets etc... and Sony is just testing the market and I am positive they will be successful with neo because there are many like me who don't mind upgrading every 3 years and Sony still get to sell a product for 399 three years later into a cycle while offering lower price options as well. Consumers won't be mad as long as all purchases carry over.

noobie

Banned
Why when one division of Sony starts performing well other start performing worse.
Pictures and Sensor divisions were pretty stable and solid divisions for Sony and now they are suddenly. It seriously is like pendulum one goes up other goes down.

Gitaroo

Why when one division of Sony starts performing well other start performing worse.
Pictures and Sensor divisions were pretty stable and solid divisions for Sony and now they are suddenly. It seriously is like pendulum one goes up other goes down.

pictures has always been up and down depends on what movies were out, sensor division is because of the earthquake causing lots of damage to their production line.

Elios83

Great PS4 results and solid results for the whole group.
With the focus on the gaming division more investements will go into new games and products.
September should be interesting with the new announcements after the summer news drought.

Top Bottom