• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 2016: 3.5M PS4, Game division posts 44 billion yen operating profit

Ploid 3.0

IMO, they need to dig deep on mobile gaming and make a PlayStation-branded controller like this:

MCB31268_CTRLI_micro_GB_005_lg.jpg

And bring as much of the PSP + Vita library as they can to iOS/Android. I know they tried it with exclusive stuff to Xperia phones, but it was half-assed trash and no one bought Xperia phones anyway.

They already do. Also DS4 works with Xperia wirelessly. Playstation Remote play natively as well.

CCIE

Banned
I made quite a profit on my Sony stock this week - cannot complain given how cheap it was. They were on the verge of going under, so this is a remarkable turnaround.

Increase marketing cost, must be Gravity Rush 2 marketing!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!
I wish this would happen so much!! I want the game to get alot of coverage but I'd imagine a couple of trailers on youtube
and a commercial that comes on adult swim during off the air hours.

GeoramA

Alright, now they just got to pump out more of those exclusives.
Hasn't really been an issue lately. They put out a lot of exclusives already this year, with a lot more to come in the next 6 months.

Plus they announced a lot of big stuff at E3 (GoW, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Crash Collection, and a ton of exclusive VR stuff)

Hitting their stride for sure.

vpance

I made quite a profit on my Sony stock this week - cannot complain given how cheap it was. They were on the verge of going under, so this is a remarkable turnaround.

I don't think they were really ever in danger of that happening, but that certainly was the narrative on here for a while.

so how does the profit split go?

Does sony get all the $$$ or do they have to share a bit of it with Disney?

I believe the deal was some percentage on gross, plus either equal or majority take on merchandise. Seems merchandise takes was always the big sticking point in their negotiations.

Sony seems to be slimming down, think they are in a good reset position. One hit away from being a top company again maybe?

Apple before the IPod...

VR
Hit movies
High end Electronics
Insurance
Music
PlayStation
Sensors
TV

Hmmm...wonder what will hit big, there smartphone market doesn't seem like it's ever going to be anything but a niche despite the quality. Can't say anything will boom, but Sony should be ok for a good 2-4 years I think with what's coming. They need a hit market though. PlayStation needs to become more of a service for retaining customers I think.

wapplew

Sony seems to be slimming down, think they are in a good reset position. One hit away from being a top company again maybe?

Apple before the IPod...

VR
Hit movies
High end Electronics
Insurance
Music
PlayStation
Sensors
TV

Hmmm...wonder what will hit big, there smartphone market doesn't seem like it's ever going to be anything but a niche despite the quality.

ZD9 series TV or Sony Canvas screen obviously.

Very hard to have big hit, I see more slow growth.

The God

Hasn't really been an issue lately. They put out a lot of exclusives already this year, with a lot more to come in the next 6 months.

Plus they announced a lot of big stuff at E3 (GoW, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Crash Collection, and a ton of exclusive VR stuff)

Hitting their stride for sure.
You can never have enough games. Would like to see a new first party studio opened up.

Ridley327

I believe the deal was some percentage on gross, plus either equal or majority take on merchandise. Seems merchandise takes was always the big sticking point in their negotiations.

On the surface, it's a bit of a gentleman's agreement. Sony will get all the money from the solo Spider-Man films, while Marvel gets to hold onto all the money for the films that he appears in that aren't solo films. The deeper creative stuff is that Feige and co. get to steer the creative direction of the Spider-Man films, with Sony getting access to the MCU roster for the Spider-Man films (hence, Tony Stark being in the new film).

ZD9 series TV or Sony Canvas screen obviously.

Very hard to have big hit, I see more slow growth.
Is that their new LCD 4K? I heard great things about them from tech sites?

But yeah you're right, I dunno how Apple did it with so many different products back to back like that. Sony has hits but it's spread out lol. Color TV, Walkman, PlayStation etc...but Apple just did IPod, IPhone, IPad, iTunes, IOS like BAM! Insane. Would PS be different if the had a parent company like Apple?

DieH@rd

Banned
so how does the profit split go?

Does sony get all the $$$ or do they have to share a bit of it with Disney?

According to leaked Sony emails, there is no changes in the way money is shared. Deal is based on pure cooperation. Marvel gains Spidey in their MCU films [Spidey parts of the script needs to be OK'd by Sony], Sony gets MCU actors in their Spidey films [MCU charachter parts of the script needs to be OK'd by Marvel]. Fiege and some Marvel people are now involved in Spidey films as producers, so they will get some cut.

Bishop89

According to leaked Sony emails, there is no changes in the way money is shared. Deal is based on pure cooperation. Marvel gains Spidey in their MCU films [Spidey parts of the script needs to be OK'd by Sony], Sony gets MCU actors in their Spidey films [MCU charachter parts of the script needs to be OK'd by Marvel]. Fiege and some Marvel people are now involved in Spidey films as producers, so they will get some cut.

ah cool, thnx for explaining

joecanada

But wait! I thought console gaming was over? Aren't we all supposed to be playing FarmVille by now?

ugh I wouldn't play Farmville if it was the last game on the face of the earth, even if it won the fabled "franchise wars"

everything is taco bell now.

GeoramA

You can never have enough games. Would like to see a new first party studio opened up.
Definitely, but I don't see it happening unless it's a smaller team like Pixel Opus.

They have a dominating market-share, so it's probably easier and a lot less risky to strike more publishing deals with independent studios (Insomniac, Quantic, KojiPro, Wild Sheep, etc)

Busty

Banned
I'm glad that Sony are in the black and there aren't any looming job cuts (AFAIK) but it's the same old story for Sony, yet another solid quarter that feels like it's papering over the cracks.

It feels like Sony lurches forward without any true identity compared to rivals like Apple and Samsung. I'd go as far as to say that I'm a fan of Sony products but it's strange to have such a large corporation in this day and age that has so many diverse and weirdly ill fitting component parts like Movies, video games, consumer electronics and financial services.

Sony still needs to figure out what it's going to do with the pieces that have never fitted with other divisions (film & TV will continue to stagnate under the foreign media ownership laws in the US for example) in the past.

But then again I remember having this discussion 7 or 8 years ago here on GAF and here we are again. Another set of solid quarterly numbers and the same discussions as before,

She managed to get a seat at the table for the upcoming Spider-Man projects, but nothing that will impact the day-to-day actions at Sony Pictures.

Tom Rothman has a strong reputation as a penny-pincher, so we'll see how that plays out.

He also has a reputation as being someone who didn't understand comic book movies at all while at Fox (basically, he's the reason that the Jessica Alba Fantastic Four movies turned out as bad as they did, and he's made some bad decisions in terms of X-Men), which is a little worrying when Spider-Man is far and away their most profitable IP (thankfully, Pascal and Feige are basically in charge of that IP for now).

Gurish

OK so Sony is in amazing state but what about the overall industry? latest NPDS showed other than Sony things don't look so hot for anyone else.

Last gen we had PS3-360-Wii, 3 incredibly strong consoles, things were better than ever financially, this gen Sony grew tremendously but not nearly enough to compensate for MS's and Nintendo's performances.

IvorB

I hope this sends a message to all interested parties that catering to the needs of core gamers is a priority.

Yeah Sony came out unashamedly courting the core gamer market when other platform holders went off chasing other butterflies. We can see now the wisdom of this strategy and it's a good thing the point was made.

OK so Sony is in amazing state but what about the overall industry? latest NPDS showed other than Sony things don't look so hot for anyone else.

Last gen we had PS3-360-Wii, 3 incredibly strong consoles, things were better than ever financially, this gen Sony grew tremendously but not nearly enough to compensate for MS's and Nintendo's performances.

Don't think we ever going to see another gen like last gen .
Plus while all 3 had really good sales last gen it was full with other problems .

vpance

I'm glad that Sony are in the black and there aren't any looming job cuts (AFAIK) but it's the same old story for Sony, yet another solid quarter that feels like it's papering over the cracks.

It feels like Sony lurches forward without any true identity compared to rivals like Apple and Samsung. I'd go as far as to say that I'm a fan of Sony products but it's strange to have such a large corporation in this day and age that has so many diverse and weirdly ill fitting component parts like Movies, video games, consumer electronics and financial services.

Sony still needs to figure out what it's going to do with the pieces that have never fitted with other divisions (film & TV will continue to stagnate under the foreign media ownership laws in the US for example) in the past.

But then again I remember having this discussion 7 or 8 years ago here on GAF and here we are again. Another set of solid quarterly numbers and the same discussions as before,

The cracks are being overstated, as long as they're in the black. At least that's how investors are willing to see it at this stage.

The odd diversification of the company is actually helping them here, with other segments being in a bit of a slump. But I think Games and Network will be pretty rock solid for them ongoing. They can pretty much count on that and Financial to prop themselves up.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Don't think we ever going to see another gen like last gen .
Plus while all 3 had really good sales last gen it was full with other problems .

Yup. Some even posted recently about how much money Sony lost last gen.

Some also post that with microtranctions, subscriptions, and just services period even with less overall sales the money made might be the same or more. Just Sony making most online multiplayer part of PS plus they should already be looking better financially vs last gen when they didn't charge for it.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Yes Sony is doing great but it is a disaster for everyone else. The rumors about the NX suggest Nintendo is basically leaving the home console business. MS will be lucky to do half of what they did last generation. Basically the market will shrink to the size it was in the PS2 ERA at best.

Welfare

I must have missed the Microsoft quarterly report thread. Do we really have confirmation that the XB1 was down compared to the same timeframe as last year? I wouldn't be surprised since the XB1 has been done notably YoY in the US, but did Microsoft release shipment numbers or is it guesswork?

All MS said for the quarter was that Xbox One revenue and Xbox 360 volume was down. For the entire fiscal year, XB1 shipments were up.

Yes Sony is doing great but it is a disaster for everyone else. The rumors about the NX suggest Nintendo is basically leaving the home console business. MS will be lucky to do half of what they did last generation. Basically the market will shrink to the size it was in the PS2 ERA at best.

Which isn't a bad thing considering the PS2 era was one of, if not the best generation of all time.

Top Bottom