• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

This significant increase was primarily due to PS4 hardware cost reductions and the above-mentioned increase in PS4
software sales, partially offset by the effects of the price reduction for PS4 hardware.

That kinda sounds like there's still room left for another price cut, doesn't it?

57 million!
c8d7e96cae7f875f3044f2237ea137d8.jpg

It's also kind of interesting to see how they are now outright acknowledging FGO's impact on Sony Music as opposed to the previous vaguely worded "strong continued performance of mobile software".

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
OléGunner;229557195 said:
Obliterator, is the $5.3 billion in games and network sales from PSN only or includes boxed software?
Boxed revenue is very low from the past report, because you buy digital via psn, boxed from retail

OléGunner;229557195 said:
Obliterator, is the $5.3 billion in games and network sales from PSN only or includes boxed software?

I'll have to double check the report. I know that Network Percentage increase I mentioned was digital revenue. PS+ subscriptions, Full Game Downloads, DLC, etc. The Digital market is exploding on PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo is lagging behind the industry substantially.

Also this is a record quarter for PlayStations sell in. No quarter has Sony ever shipped this many PlayStation consoles.

tYlc.png

PS4 continues its insane sales trajectory. This will be the most profitable console ever when combing hardware as well as Network sales. That's right, more profitable likely than the PS2. While it won't hit those insane sales numbers, the PS4 has the massive digital revenue the PS2 totally lacked

Femto.

57 mil already?

The PS4 will out pace the PS3 by 2018 in about half of the amount of time it took the PS3 to reach 65 mil. Which was right around the launch of the PS4.

Elios83

57.1M consoles shipped, yet 53.4M actually sold through. Almost 4 million unsold consoles going into Q1. Will be very interesting to see if this was purely so that they could hit 60M by the end of the fiscal year.

I think the fact they want to achieve their shipment target is also behind the recent promotions that US retailers are announcing with the console at 249-269$. And probably they'll continue until the end of the fiscal year in march.

Btw seems like their movie business is in for a major restructuring as they recorded a significant goodwill impairment loss for the quarter to factor a reduced value of that business based on expected profits. Basically the same thing that happened to their mobile division.

Really happy that gaming is doing good for Sony .
They must be making so much money off PS4 and we only hit the mid way point of the gen .
Maybe this will be the peak year for PS4.

Unknown?

No wonder there was such a shortage of Pros and VR units, they can only manufacture so much! They'll easily make their goal of 20M for the year.

I think it'll take off when it's $199. Magic price and huge library of games by year's end!

I've been pretty firm in thinking PS5 launches 2019. I'm starting to question that due to PS4's massive continued success. I wonder if they push it to 2020 instead

dracula_x

What games released on PS4 last year in Q4? Can't imagine there was a better console seller than Horizon: Zero Dawn will be.

from what I remember, Far Cry Primal + Dark Souls III in Japan

this year Horizon, Mass Effect, RE7, For Honor + several smaller titles like Nier, Nioh, GR2, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, etc.

farmerboy

I actually forgot about that and chuckled, but seriously stop this. It's not funny anymore.

You chuckled at something you dont find funny? Or did it become unfunny immediately after you chuckled?

Scorpio

Just checking if its still funny. Let me know

Oft, that Sony Pictures hit is hard to look at. And Q4 is only going to drag it down further.

Weren't there rumors that they were considering moving Sony Pictures under to SIE umbrella? Maybe they will now.

Crazy that 10 years ago this day Sony's FY results for their gaming division could be read as: "We're so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked"

I wonder if that thread still exists (if it ever did).

Icolin

Banned
I've been pretty firm in thinking PS5 launches 2019. I'm starting to question that due to PS4's massive continued success. I wonder if they push it to 2020 instead

I think the PS5's timing will at least partially hinge on what Microsoft does with the Scorpio (time, final specs, general approach).

I wonder if PS4 had enjoyed the same success if Microsoft didn't screw themselves with Xbox One's launch policies.

In America, no. Elsewhere yes.

And by no I don't mean it would have bombed but MS REALLY hurt itself. The fact that it still ended up selling pretty well in the US shows that the brand was at a very good place to challenge Sony if they didn't botch it.

onQ123

I'll have to double check the report. I know that Network Percentage increase I mentioned was digital revenue. PS+ subscriptions, Full Game Downloads, DLC, etc. The Digital market is exploding on PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo is lagging behind the industry substantially.

Also this is a record quarter for PlayStations sell in. No quarter has Sony ever shipped this many PlayStation consoles.

tYlc.png

PS4 continues its insane sales trajectory. This will be the most profitable console ever when combing hardware as well as Network sales. That's right, more profitable likely than the PS2. While it won't hit those insane sales numbers, the PS4 has the massive digital revenue the PS2 totally lacked

Just think PS4 slim is already pretty cheap to make & AMD is going to 7nm next year & PS4 & PS4 Pro will probably get even cheaper to manufacturer redesigns before they hit 100 million & at some point a PS4 STB with no Blu-ray drive could hit the market in the $99 - $149 price range & continue to rake in digital revenue.

farmerboy

On topic, amazing results. Don't know exactly what it is they got right but they have knocked it outta the park. Congrats Sony.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Passenger hit 270M with 110M budget, not too bad for Sony Picture

Icolin

Banned
Most sales of a Playstation in one quarter, beating even the PS2? Insane.

Yep. And with no AAA fall exclusive either.

This shows how irrelevant releasing AAA exclusives in the fall is in the grander scheme of things, and that its better for Sony to release them outside the fall season.

dracula_x

57.1M consoles shipped, yet 53.4M actually sold through. Almost 4 million unsold consoles going into Q1. Will be very interesting to see if this was purely so that they could hit 60M by the end of the fiscal year.

3.7M, to be specific

btw, Sony already sold 200K units in Q4 (first 4 weeks) just in Japan alone – http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339806
so ^ this reduce that number to 3.5M.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2017 (Jan 23 - Jan 29)

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 # |     40.671 |     33.376 |     32.557 |    [B]208.219[/B] |    119.149 |   4.308.886 |

Top Bottom