• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

Who's the body in the gif? Is it that Australian pole vaulter? I need to know for research purposes.

I don't :( pls explain

Michelle Jenneke, the track hurdle runner who dances before a race.
tumblr_mxznbrxP5U1rsem6jo1_500.gif

Greg Jennings (Broken Leg) scores on the saints

arcticice

In America, no. Elsewhere yes.

And by no I don't mean it would have bombed but MS REALLY hurt itself. The fact that it still ended up selling pretty well in the US shows that the brand was at a very good place to challenge Sony if they didn't botch it.

360 was a huge success, even outside of U.S. and a lot of people i know were eagerly looking forward to Xbox One's announcement. But MS really screwed themselves with forced DRM policies.

You are right though, despite its shortcomings, it has managed to sell rather well in the U.S. However, without those DRM policies fiasco, it could've done a whole lot better.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Weren't there rumors that they were considering moving Sony Pictures under to SIE umbrella? Maybe they will now.

Apparently Kaz himself is relocating to the US to oversee Sony Pictures himself the coming 6 months. Probably some descisions will be made after that period.

I'll have to double check the report. I know that Network Percentage increase I mentioned was digital revenue. PS+ subscriptions, Full Game Downloads, DLC, etc. The Digital market is exploding on PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo is lagging behind the industry substantially.

Also this is a record quarter for PlayStations sell in. No quarter has Sony ever shipped this many PlayStation consoles.

tYlc.png

PS4 continues its insane sales trajectory. This will be the most profitable console ever when combing hardware as well as Network sales. That's right, more profitable likely than the PS2. While it won't hit those insane sales numbers, the PS4 has the massive digital revenue the PS2 totally lacked

Funnily enough that given the claim, it is hardware sales that is down YOY for the quarter, while Network and Others (PSVR, etc.) propped up growth. I assume it's the price reduction at work.

Putty

Congrats. Playstation 4 continues to go from strength to strength, with 2017 looking potentially even better.

So where is it on the chart in the OP? PSVR hardware gotta be counted somewhere.

Look under "Sales to Customers by Product Category" in the report. G&NS have 3 product groups, Hardware (PS4/PSV) Network (Digital Sales, Sony Network content) and Others (Packaged software, Peripherals, PSVR, etc.).

Animator

Crazy that 10 years ago this day Sony's FY results for their gaming division could be read as: "We're so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked"

This is why I laugh at the armchair analysts in this forum that scream for a division to be sold after a couple bad quarters.

See: Surface Pro

I'll have to double check the report. I know that Network Percentage increase I mentioned was digital revenue. PS+ subscriptions, Full Game Downloads, DLC, etc. The Digital market is exploding on PS4 and Xbox One. Nintendo is lagging behind the industry substantially.

Also this is a record quarter for PlayStations sell in. No quarter has Sony ever shipped this many PlayStation consoles.

Ahh cheers!

I'm a little bit in shock at the PS4 9.7mil shipment number.
That's really crazy, nearly Wii U LTD in a couple months. The benefits of having a global brand coming to fruition.

Aceofspades

Banned
Hope these number can finally silence the "PRO is failure" "Slim is ugly" "PSVR is fad" and "No UHD player!" short-sighted posters.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
If you look at the bigger picture with Nintendo and Microsoft combine, console gaming is dying (market shrink).

If you talk about this Q3, combined still growth

ZoddGutts

What the hell, they had a 1 billion dollar write down in their movie division. Every year it seems another division spoiling the profits.

Oh well gaming seems to be at a good place, so that's good news for us.

Sony is better of selling their other dead weight divisions. Their movie division has been a disaster for years now.

Loudninja

About Sony pictures:

The loss in films ”is being taken extremely seriously by management," Chief Financial Officer Kenichiro Yoshida said at a briefing.

Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai, who has temporarily relocated to California to oversee the transition, will now focus on finding a replacement for Lynton, shore-up profitability and expand business in new regions such as China. To offset part of the one-time loss, Sony sold shares in medical services provider M3 Inc. to Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in a deal worth about 52 billion yen.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-on-film-writedown-as-profit-misses-estimates

But a weaker yen and an image sensor business recovering from April earthquakes at Japanese plants helped partially offset the movie business writedown.

Sony has stressed that the pictures segment overall - including television programs and media networks - would improve through efforts to cut costs and bolster income from intellectual property. The segment "continues to be an important business," it has said.

Sony's pictures segment, which accounts for some 10 percent of the company's overall sales, is regarded as a key growth driver under its current three-year business plan through March 2018, along with image sensors, videogames and music.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sony-results-idUSKBN15H0E6

Alo0oy

Banned
360 was a huge success, even outside of U.S. and a lot of people i know were eagerly looking forward to Xbox One's announcement. But MS really screwed themselves with forced DRM policies.

You are right though, despite its shortcomings, it has managed to sell rather well in the U.S. However, without those DRM policies fiasco, it could've done a whole lot better.

360 was an Anglo saxon console too.

That's higher than Steam does for an entire year, and that's PSN only. Wow.

To be fair, I'm not totally sure if that's PSN only or includes retail games.
Looking at this graph I'm guessing it's the latter.

n880hj4.png

Either way the number is bananas for one quarter.

I've been pretty firm in thinking PS5 launches 2019. I'm starting to question that due to PS4's massive continued success. I wonder if they push it to 2020 instead

I don't get why PS4 being a megahit means PS5 is being pushed back. Some of the PS2s best sales occurred in 2006 and beyond after PS3 had launched.

Sony is better of selling their other dead weight divisions. Their movie division has been a disaster for years now.

Man, that's such a difficult dilemma.

Unlike hardware business, content in TV and film are far harder to build a new one from and in an ideal world, ownership of content is what makes you stand out.

It's a pillar worth sustaining if you can restore it to profitability.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Wanda is willing to pay $10B for Sony Pictures so they could push JingTian worldwide

jjonez18

57.1M consoles shipped, yet 53.4M actually sold through. Almost 4 million unsold consoles going into Q1. Will be very interesting to see if this was purely so that they could hit 60M by the end of the fiscal year.

How does that compare to this time last year?

I don't get why PS4 being a megahit means PS5 is being pushed back. Some of the PS2s best sales occurred in 2006 and beyond after PS3 had launched.

Oh it may very well not. What I more mean is they don't have to rush anything. They are bringing in so much revenue that if they don't feel comfortable launching in 2019 they by no means have to. They can take their sweet time (unless MS / Nintendo somehow manage to really shake up the industry)

I've been pretty firm in thinking PS5 launches 2019. I'm starting to question that due to PS4's massive continued success. I wonder if they push it to 2020 instead

I still believe in 2019.

If anything I think this will make them keep at it so that there are zero years with loss of momentum. And that they'll emphasis PS5 onwards having library BC to keep software sales healthy.

dracula_x

If you look at the bigger picture with Nintendo and Microsoft combine, console gaming is dying (market shrink).

the only who's dying – the companies who don't understand console market.

Market is actually growing outside of US, Western Europe and Japan. And if you ignore the rest of world, no wonder why your business is shrinking. All modern successful companies, like Apple for example, understand this. That's why they're investing in China, India, Mid-East, Brazil, Russia, etc. Just "US and UK" is not enough in modern world.

Kazuo Hirai

OléGunner;229558603 said:

n880hj4.png

Cannot see the pic but I remember
There are a "packaged games" section which is retail, not PSN, and it is tax from retail title and first party games retail

Alo0oy

Banned
OléGunner;229558603 said:

n880hj4.png

Yeah, it is insane either way. Their sales last quarter are higher than the entire net worth of valve Inc and market cap of Ubisoft or Square Enix. All in just one quarter.

Kazuo Hirai

The PSN revenue is so high because you bought games via Sony ,so the revenue count, When you buy retail games, Sony only get "tax" not the whole game money.

Top Bottom