• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

Gitaroo

Sony pictures should just stick to spiderman this year and make some interesting tv shows.if they are still seriously want to turn their movie business around fire everyone in the office

vpance

No, hardware and peripherals are a different category.

?

The G&NS segment includes the Hardware, Network, and Other categories. Hardware includes home and portable game consoles; Network includes network services relating to game, video and music content provided by Sony Interactive Entertainment; Other includes packaged software and peripheral devices.

$5.8 billion is trailing 12 months.

I was quoting #s for the quarter.

dracula_x

listening briefing now, they said that PS4 Pro is doing better than they anticipated

No way should they sell film or music. Should be a last resort to save the corporation type deal.

They won't. Sony Music is big right now (not only because "music" part, but also mobile games like Fate/Grand Order + anime). As for Sony Pictures, they said that division is still important for them.

NightOnyx

Looks like Kingsglaive was their top selling home entertainment title for the quarter. I'm not sure what that means for sales, but I assume that's a good sign for them and Square.

KZObsessed

So, skimming through the thread, people/Zhuge have said the following:

Record Playstation shipments for a quarter.
PS4 still outpacing PS2.
PSN revenue higher than Nintendo's entire revenue.
PSN revenue from last 12 months higher than steam ($5.8B vs $3.5B)

All correct? Crazy if true. What a turn around.

No way PS4 can keep growing with heavy competitions this year.
I think 2016 is the plateau.
There's a lot of competition but with VR and co-marketing deals with Red Dead, Destiny and possibly Battlefront again they are going to be front and center with a lot of massive franchises.

samar11

No way PS4 can keep growing with heavy competitions this year.
I think 2016 is the plateau.

They will have marketing deals with some of the heavy hitters this year so they should do fine. What heavy competition are you talking about ? Switch ? lol

PS4 sales show how out of touch Nintendo is, they are constantly trying to find 'new ways to play' when the majority just want a standard box that sits on their media unit and plays the vast majority of games released.

Wow. Great results!

This is even before the onslaught of PS4 games this quarter.

PS4 Pro seems severely under-shipped in EU and Asia.

fvng

Sony pictures is hurting their brand overall and the email leaks revealed a division with terrible upper management. Even the executives referred to their own movies as "meh"

Cannot see the pic but I remember
There are a "packaged games" section which is retail, not PSN, and it is tax from retail title and first party games retail

Ahh ok I've seen that $5 billion number is PSN sales for the entire year now.

They will have marketing deals with some of the heavy hitters this year so they should do fine. What heavy competition are you talking about ? Switch ? lol

Red Dead 2, Star Wars Battefront 2 and new COD bundurus will clean house.

samar11

OléGunner;229561199 said:

Dont forget Destiny 2 if it comes out this year.

PS4 Slim + Pro + VR were the perfect storm even though looking them individually they don't *seem* to be massive successes.

And there's still room for growth in VR, strong 3Rd party and key 1St party hits. GoW being a wild card for massive success based on reception and GT being a sure hit in Europe.

wapplew

OléGunner;229561199 said:

Delayed, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales.
House is not that clean.

Gator86

So, skimming through the thread, people/Zhuge have said the following:

Record Playstation shipments for a quarter.
PS4 still outpacing PS2.
PSN revenue higher than Nintendo's entire revenue.
PSN revenue from last 12 months higher than steam ($5.8B vs $3.5B)

All correct? Crazy if true. What a turn around.

Haven't had the chance to read the whole thread but that's crazy. In the same vein, it's not crazy at all - Sony runs consoles gaming. The average number of PlayStations sold each gen is higher than all but one non-Sony console in history. By the end of this gen, they will have 4 of the 5 best selling consoles to ever release. The clumsy early PS3 years made people forget how terrifying Sony is at this. If Sony is on, nothing else matters - they're killing everything in sight.

viHuGi

Banned
Delayed, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales, bad reputation previous entry hurt sales.
House is not that clean.

You clearly have no idea how Cod moves games, Black Ops 3 had great reputation and record sales but IW flopped like crazy, new Cod will be huge because there is a 2 year drought between most of the fanbase.

Star Wars will have the movie help which alone will seal the deal.

Top Bottom