• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica apparently out-doing CGI with their new game.

sn00zer

This doesnt surprise me...seriously outside of IQ and lighting only someone trained in the profession could notice....I could see it happening....animation will be hard to match

Greatness... waits.

x0UXVFP.png

Nooooo!!

So I guess UC next year, GOW.... 2016/17? Maybe UC4 next year, GT 2016, GOW 2017

Battle? They're on the same team.

Yup, doesn't mean they can't compete to outdo each other.

Corpsepyre

Banned
In all honesty, they DID outdo their own CGI cutscenes that were present in GoW1 and 2 with 3 (and for that time, those were some mighty amazing CGI cutscenes). Just take a look at the character models in those CGI shots back in 2005 and 2007, and see the opening level in 3. It's amazing how better GoW 3's in-engine graphics look. I have all the faith in the world they can do the same this gen.

So? Don't play them.

Me and millions of others want games you can't get on last gen hardware. i don't think that's wrong to ask for on new $400 hardware.

I do play them but most of them feel empty as fuck and thats the truth i can't remember the last game i played myself that I thought i'd repeat play solely due to graphics.
it's not a generation thing to me I am just saying lately the games I've played that look gorgeous feel like something isn't there (Ryse,Killzone) as my examples.

Also I haven't played last of us as of yet but i know that game is pretty well loved, so i need to try that.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Both are the same in a fundamental level (I mean no disriapect)

I find it hard to disagree, y'know? :p

On topic, do you think they'll announce/hint at something come March 2015? It's the 10th Anniversary of GoW (can't believe it's been 10 years, honestly)

Considering what they achieved on PS3...
image_god_of_war_ascension-21548-2495_0015.jpg

I believe it.

Maybe I'm just insane but I never considered GoW3 to be a looker except for the impressive scale of the boss fights. Like, people keep posting these close ups of Kratos and I just think "huh? UC games looked way better than that".

VinFTW

I still think GoW3 is one of the best looking games ever made (on consoles at least).

I mean... fuck that game was GORGEOUS.

So good, I miss it...

video said:
Work in progress, hand-made with Lightwave, Sculptris and Krita, composited with Davinci Resolve Lite
First half rendered in ~800 hours on a 2008 vintage quad core

... that's 4.76 weeks straight... Even a workstation with 8x Titan Blacks would be rendering for days

Ricky_R

Maybe I'm just insane but I never considered GoW3 to be a looker except for the impressive scale of the boss fights. Like, people keep posting these close ups of Kratos and I just think "huh? UC games looked way better than that".

Uncharted 2 was generally more consistent, but when GOW3 looked good, it did so ridiculously.

That CG video is outdoing Uncharted 4. So SSM's game will look even better than UC4? Must be claustrophobic linear.

No. Uncharted has terrible skin textures that look unnaturally smooth and plasticy/cartoony.

Mentok

Banned
I'm kind of hoping their next game is not a GoW game. I'd love to see this studio try something different. GoW 1 and 2 were my most played PS2 games (right along with SOCOM 2).

Shredderi

That CG video is outdoing Uncharted 4. So SSM's game will look in even better than UC4? Must be claustrophobic linear.

If it's another GOW game then they'll propably keep the fixed camera angles which will help them to push the graphics of what is shown at any given angle. I think.

I'm kind of hoping their next game is not a GoW game. I'd love to see this studio try something different. GoW 1 and 2 were my most played PS2 games (right along with SOCOM 2).

Fully agreed. I really want to see their technical prowess used in a completely different game. I also didn't really feel the GoW games. Just wasn't for me so naturally I would be happy to see a studio of their level do something new.

Primeau31

eh. hopefully they don't forget about gameplay. I've enjoyed the PS4 first party offerings more than others have thus far but that's not saying a whole lot, really.

a lot of average titles recently.

I believe it. Ryse, Quantum Break, and Uncharted 4 have amazing faces already so a game that's not shipping until late 2016 at the earliest should look unbelievable.

Perhaps Sony's finest tech team...I absolutely believe they will set the new standard for this generation whenever their game comes out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I believe it. GOW3 still looks like a game that could be PS4 specific if they upped the resolution to 1080p. Even at 30fps i'd still probably get tricked if it wasn't on PS3, same with GOWA.

Order 1886 which they are helping out on already looks pretty close to earlier CG, and that's from a dev coming from handhelds so...

This

how many GOW games did they make? 8 maybe? that's more than enough let them be creative and make new ip
They gave Stig the chance for a new IP and look how that turned out. Stick to what you know will sell a lot and even move some consoles, then do a new IP.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
They gave Stig the chance for a new IP and look how that turned out. Stick to what you know will sell a lot and even move some consoles, then do a new IP.

GOW:A wasn't exactly a huge hit.. so it's really hard to say how much cachet the series still has at this point.

I think if a new GOW hit this this holiday season or previously it would have sold very well.. considering how content starved the PS4 is.

..but in 2016? Maybe enough time will have passed that people will give a shit again.. but GOW:A felt as unnecessary as Gears of War Judgement.

Corpsepyre

Banned
GOW:A wasn't exactly a huge hit.. so it's really hard to say how much cachet the series still has at this point.

I think if a new GOW hit this this holiday season or previously it would have sold very well.. considering how content starved the PS4 is.

..but in 2016? Maybe enough time will have passed that people will give a shit again.. but GOW:A felt as unnecessary as Gears of War Judgement.

Precisely the reason why it sold less than GoW3, in my opinion.

People wanted to see what happens after GoW3. I remember how disappointed I was when it was announced as a prequel. Many people most likely said fuck it at that point. But a sequel set after 3? Sign me up!

Servbot24

Banned
If that's true then I have to believe their game is pretty heavily scripted. :(

I can't wait till devs are done showing off the technology and get back to gameplay.

Good point. I think both a new Gears or God of War would do really well. Ascension and Judgement were an enigma. Maybe its just the thought of having a new Gears or God of War on the new hardware that makes me think they would sell so well. Plus the thought of Mr. Barlog being at the helm of a new God of War excites me.

Top Bottom