• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica apparently out-doing CGI with their new game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kobe+Bryant+gives+a+puzzled+look+during+a+press+conference.JPG

RibMan

pls no, I don't want another god of war.

I'm just guessing here, but there are probably more people that want another God of War than people that don't want another God of War.

Orochi91 said:
Dude come on, we already have U4 to fill that linear slot.

There's more than 5GB of GDDR5 in that console, why can't we have an open-world GOW???

I'm honestly not sure if you're joking or not. By your logic, every game on the PS4 should be open-world.

I still think they could spin GoW into a semi-new action-RPG series. Basically take God of War's gameplay, add customizable characters, heavier RPG mechanics, and add talent trees based on each god.

hawk2025

There's more than 5GB of GDDR5 in that console, why can't we have an open-world GOW???

There is no such thing as a type-of-game slot.

Otherwise Ubisoft would have already packed the open world slot to the brim.

isn't there two teams working on games at SM? Could be that Barlog's game is further away.

Nope, the other team was laid off... The one that was working on Stig's new IP that was cancelled. They do have a team of sorts that works with external developers that are working on titles like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Corpsepyre

Banned

I'm sure they can make an open world game and make it look brilliant, but I seriously doubt they can make it look with THAT IQ. PS4 is a powerful system, but I don't think it can run a game with character models in the OP, and be open world as well. There will be several sacrifices.

Oh ok. I was under the impression they were working on three games (God of War 4, Stig's game, and then Barlog was brought on board to recruit a team). I guess they are all in on GoW.

They probably had a few people starting on God of War 4 while Stig was work on his game. I'm not sure if Balrog's team is working on it but someone at Sony Santa Monica is.

Corpsepyre

Banned
They probably had a few people starting on God of War 4 while Stig was work on his game. I'm not sure if Balrog's team is working on it but someone at Sony Santa Monica is.

Barlog lobbied to get the original GoW combat designer back into SSM, so I'm guessing it's connected to GoW somehow or is a sequel to the game.

I hope you guys are not really believing it"s gonna be as good as in that video right. That small video took 800 hours to render lol. And not on a PS4 lol

orochi91

I'm sure they can make an open world game and make it look brilliant, but I seriously doubt they can make it look with THAT IQ. PS4 is a powerful system, but I don't think it can run a game with character models in the OP, and be open world as well. There will be several sacrifices.

That's actually what's making me assume their game won't be open world.

The only way to achieve graphical fidelity beyond what's shown in that video is
to have a linear game with a fixed camera.

why do you think every game has to be open world?

Because they need to drastically shake up the GOW formula if they are seriously
making a next-gen entry in the series.

With the tepid response to GOW:A, they need to do something completely fresh and unique with the franchise. A new direction.

I figured an open-world setting would have helped in that regard :/

florin3k3

I highly doubt you will get any gameplay with graphics marching that video. While they do look good, killzone, infamous, driveclub etc are nowhere near that quality imo. All of them have their moments where they can look pretty damn amazing but still...
I will be surprised if they make anything close to that by the end of this gen
Hope I'm wrong :)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
People are crazy with this "please don't let it be God Of War". It's been 5 years since a proper God Of War sequel (No, I don't count Ascension). SSM is one of the very best studios in gaming, period, end of story.

I would be mind blown if they announced God Of War 4 with Cory at the helm. Good lord.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Because GoW is about action, not busywork.

People are crazy with this "please don't let it be God Of War". It's been 5 years since a proper God Of War sequel (No, I don't count Ascension). SSM is one of the very best studios in gaming, period, end of story.

I would be mind blown if they announced God Of War 4 with Cory at the helm. Good lord.

So you say SSM is one of the best devs, yet you disregard their most recent game. Ok then.

The End

Call it Gods of War

Have a new protagonist go up against the different pantheons (Norse, Mesoamerican, Japanese, etc)

Kratos pre-order DLC.

Day 1

Dragon

Banned
Sweet. I'm so happy they're outdoing CGI with their new game. Now make a character I want to actually play instead of an antihero that's a complete assclown.

Ugh, that's the last thing I want.

I'm so done with Kratos.

Who said anything about Kratos?

A certain poster here said that series is going to be shaken up. We may not even see Kratos.

Yeah, I don't need another Kratos GoW game. I'd still buy and play it but I'd really like it if they tweaked the formula and main character.

I'm telling you guys. Kratos's gonna be the antagonist. Mad, rogue god slaying all the pantheons across the world. You're a young up-and-comer in your own pantheon and the Big K has set his sights your corner of the world. Time to throw down.

With...CGI.

That's what I was thinking ;). Halo 4's CG looked a lot nicer than this for example, but to be fair, I think this level of detail on a head is doable for this gen, I just don't know how much beyond that they could also render.

Like, perhaps heads like these will only be in cut-scenes, or even only in special cut-scenes. Comparing this to Ryse though, that model only really looks better when super close, so perhaps Barlog is being straight up.

demolitio

I'm telling you guys. Kratos's gonna be the antagonist. Mad, rogue god slaying all the pantheons across the world. You're a young up-and-comer in your own pantheon and the Big K has set his sights your corner of the world. Time to throw down.

That's what I've been wanting. Kratos has gone on a rampage trying to take out every god in the world while you play as a young warrior looking to stop him from destroying the whole world with his rage, whether it be Norse, Egyptian, or any other mythology. To me, that would be exciting. Hell, even playing as Kratos going after the Norse gods would be exciting to me.

Either way, I'm excited just because Balrog is back and a GOW game on PS4 will be stunning. I just hope they take the story in a new direction instead. There's plenty of story and gameplay left for the series, it's whether they go for it or not.

Top Bottom