• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony started accepting digital preorders for PS4 games on SEN and PS Store

Eusis

This is my preferred DRM. Combines online with offline. Still wish it was 2 consoles online or off, though. Yeah, I'm really disappointed there's no digital discount. I though Sony would balls up and do that. Doesn't want to upset retail? Dunno. The Vita does it but you have to buy cards from retail so that's the trade-off. Dunno.
I think it's also the fact handhelds aren't as big of a deal here as consoles so they're probably more agreeable to this stuff, whereas on consoles they'd want to defend what they have more.

Of course, introducing at least one PS4 pre-order now is sort of a loophole.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I think it's slightly different. On PS3, you can download and play on two activated systems, online or off, with any account on the system. With PS4, you can download on two systems, but only play offline (or different accounts) on the "Home" system. To play on both systems, the other PS4 has to be logged into the purchasing account.

So in other words, to share a game you've purchased, designate the other person's PS4 as your home system. They'll be able to play the game on their account while you play it logged into yours.
Yeah it reminds me of the 360 DRM. One home console with a license to play the game either offline or online and one roaming license that lets you access your games on any other console as long as your signed in.

Vashetti

Banned
But I have 3 PS4s goddammit

hqdefault.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks like Sony is attacking gameshare by forcing people to login to the account that purchased the game.

But uh, I thought you can play offline. Is this DRM? Or poor interpretation?

This (the smallprint in the OP) is the 360's DRM.

Buy game on console: Play offline.
Want to play on another console: Need to sign in with your PSN account and be online.

ck2875

I think it's slightly different. On PS3, you can download and play on two activated systems, online or off, with any account on the system. With PS4, you can download on two systems, but only play offline (or different accounts) on the "Home" system. To play on both systems, the other PS4 has to be logged into the purchasing account.

So in other words, to share a game you've purchased, designate the other person's PS4 as your home system. They'll be able to play the game on their account while you play it logged into yours.

That sounds exactly like the current Xbox 360 activations, if so. I don't necessarily mind it and have never run into an issue with it, but it's not as open as the current PS3 DRM.

Looks like Sony is attacking gameshare by forcing people to login to the account that purchased the game.

But uh, I thought you can play offline. Is this DRM? Or poor interpretation?

That's how it works now. You have to log into the second system, download the game and now anyone can play it on their own account. I shared GTA V this way with my brother so we could both play it at the same time and split the cost. I'm going all digital with Sony because of this.

VanWinkle

On Warframe, it says "online multiplayer requires a Playstation Plus subscription". I wonder if that is just a mistake. Hopefully.

Also, preordering Warframe gets you a little bonus preorder pack with some credits and a weapon skin, and I think it said a theme, although I can't remember for sure.

androvsky

Most interesting part:

The first one is new, the second one is old. I guess the first one is the new licensing, whereas the second one is the old PSN-Template, that still got used in this product description and has to be removed.

So I'm suspecting the old 2-slot licensing is gone for PS4. :-(

There's a distinction between play and download. You can download on two systems, but play on one offline or different accounts. You can play on both if the second one is online with the purchaser's account.

BigDug13

On Warframe, it says "online multiplayer requires a Playstation Plus subscription". I wonder if that is just a mistake. Hopefully.

Uh oh...

Really hope that was a mistake. Free to Play games actually being Free to Play was a big advantage for PS4.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's how it works now. You have to log into the second system, download the game and now anyone can play it on their own account. I shared GTA V this way with my brother so we could both play it at the same time and split the cost. I'm going all digital with Sony because of this.

I'm going all-digital too, but only because I'm fed up with my region's localization practices.

Yes, new games are usually $60.

I am fine with this.

Thanks, UK prices on PSN can be all over the place. FIFA is £59.99, but BF4 is £39.99 (typical price but official RRP is £49.99). Some games are £49.99 and I suspect that will be the case for PS4 games.

I am 100% digital for PS4 anyways.

Are you sure about this?

I don't do game share, so it most likely will not affect me, but having to be connected would kinda suck.

androvsky

Are you sure about this?

I don't do game share, so it most likely will not affect me, but having to be connected would kinda suck.

You only have to be connected if you're on the second PS4. If you're on your main PS4 you don't need to be online at all, or even on your account.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Knack shouldn't be a $60 game, if it was $40 I would grab it day one, I will instead wait for the inevitable PS+ version.

BigDug13

WTF

You do realize it will play fine for free

you dont need ps+

But the guy I quoted said his PS3 on the preorder page for Warframe said PS+ required. So I know what you're saying is what I've been told up till now, but the Warframe preorder page apparently says PS+ required.

Maybe understand what I was quoting and questioning before you fly off the handle. How about having a specific rebuttal for why the Warframe preorder page says PS+ required that would back up what you said.

You only have to be connected if you're on the second PS4. If you're on your main PS4 you don't need to be online at all, or even on your account.

That part I got. =)
I don't think this will affect me.

But let's say I go to a friends house.
Download Octodad.
Now, I know I can play in my account on that PS4.
But what if my friend wants to play in HIS account to get trophies?

He can with the PS3. Apparently he will NOT be able to do this with PS4.
Am I reading it right?

DBT85

Honestly a little stunned that Knack is a full price title. Was sure it was going to be like Sly and drop in at $40 to boost it's sales.

softie

There's a distinction between play and download. You can download on two systems, but play on one offline or different accounts. You can play on both if the second one is online with the purchaser's account.

Well the the old licensing has EXACTLY the same wording. It doesn't mention "play", just "download". So I guess it's a case of an old remainder of a template, that doesn't belong into PS4 product descriptions.

Top Bottom