• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony started accepting digital preorders for PS4 games on SEN and PS Store

BigDug13

I always thought Sony said with F2P games it was upto the publisher if they wanted to use PS+ and Sony were not enforcing it.

Yeah but a f2p game gains absolutely nothing by being behind a paywall. It only reduces the number of gamers that can log in and buy items in your game. There's no way this was a developer/publisher decision.

It's either a mistake or Sony has changed their policy on f2p's.

You could just read the terms on the store,
The phrasing is damn stupid. It's limited to several "alternanative payment methods".
They did not mention anything about limited usage though (see those [german]) so I thought it's limited to one.

edit: just checked the english tos. They are crystal clear on this. I'd like it to be like this for us as well :(

I waited for my code by mail/viewable @ account on SEN as well until I realized they send it to the PS3 directly. I never got a message there so far lol

you get 10$ for every 50$ spent up to 100$ (500$ respectively)
Thanks! Thinking about stacking one or two more then

Well, I mean, why would a F2P developer possibly NOT want everyone to be play their game? If only for the extra revenue.

Just found the yoshida quote.

"As far as free-to-play games are concerned," said Shuehei Yoshida, Sony Worldwide Studios President, "it's the publisher's decision whether they put it inside or outside of PS Plus."

A little off topic, but if I preorder the PS3 Battlefield 4 season pass I'll get the PS4 season pass too right? I'd rather do it while the spend 50/get 10 deal is still on but the "PS4 season pass" isn't up on PSN yet.

komplanen

Erm I had someone in America try to purchase $1000 of Motorcycle parts with my CC thanks to that hack!!

I have never been to America
Luckily my bank blocked it.

Stupid I must be though as I put my new card on now lol

Yeah as it was said before by a couple of posters but you certainly would be the first and only person who had their CC info stolen and decrypted in that attack.

Certinty

Can't wait till us Europeans start getting ripped off once again on the PS Store.

Which is why I'll be sticking with retail.

ck2875

I definitely recommend preordering Warframe even though it's free-to-play since if you preorder it you get an "Ultimate Fan Pack" as a bonus.

• 20,000 Credits to help upgrade your arsenal
  • 50 Platinum to give you access to new Warframes, weapons, and more
  • Exclusive PS4 Braton Rifle Skin

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Erm I had someone in America try to purchase $1000 of Motorcycle parts with my CC thanks to that hack!!

I have never been to America
Luckily my bank blocked it.
That was almost for sure not due to that hack. If it was, the situation would be incredibly widespread, but there were practically no reported incidents about it at all, I doubt hackers ever leaked the CC numbers, or if they did, they were never decrypted.

Obscured

One bummer though, when signing up for PSN I can't use the apostrophe in my name. Pre-order cancelled.

I like the little bonus for Warframe, seems like a decent way to differentiate yourself from the other F2P games that will be available and while a little silly for a F2P if it will start downloading automatically once I setup the PS4 that is pretty cool. Hope we see some DD discounts as time goes on. Flexible pricing should be an effective sales tool to move games, they should make use of it.

Darknight

This (the smallprint in the OP) is the 360's DRM.

Buy game on console: Play offline.
Want to play on another console: Need to sign in with your PSN account and be online.

How is that bad? Gamesharing in general has been taken advantage of, maybe they want to move forward from that?

Anyways, streaming from VITA/VITA TV would be the similar to this? You have to be online on PSN to play your PS4 games streaming to Vita? Or can it be done offline? That would be the best.

Ensirius

I definitely recommend preordering Warframe even though it's free-to-play since if you preorder it you get an "Ultimate Fan Pack" as a bonus.

• 20,000 Credits to help upgrade your arsenal
  • 50 Platinum to give you access to new Warframes, weapons, and more
  • Exclusive PS4 Braton Rifle Skin

Says I'm not elligible. Anyone?

BigDug13

Uh guys. Yoshida said it was up to pubs whether ftp games require psplus or not

So you're saying the publisher Digital Extremes who is also the game's developer has chosen to lock out their free game behind a paywall to limit the number of gamers that can give them money?

Because if Sony is leaving it up to publishers fully, then Sony seems to be under no obligation to give them a piece of PS+ revenues for doing so.

So all in all, it makes no sense whatsoever for any MMO game to be paywalled unless Sony says they must like regular online games (or like MS does).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Adam Boyes @amboyes

@Reluctant_Hero @ErrenVanDuine That is correct, all of our announced launch F2P games do not require PS+

Valnen

Adam Boyes @amboyes

@Reluctant_Hero @ErrenVanDuine That is correct, all of our announced launch F2P games do not require PS+

Just launch F2P titles?

Says I'm not elligible. Anyone?

I "preordered" just fine.

Pre-ordering digital products that cost the same as their retail counterpart?

double lol

Good luck buying digital on launch day when the servers go boom. If someone intended to buy Knack digitally, why wouldn't they buy it now?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
LOqmIEG.png
Service? Heh.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pretty lame with the new activation limit. It's not the same as PS3. PS3 had activate two at any time, without a need to be online.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Pretty lame with the new activation limit. It's not the same as PS3. PS3 had activate two at any time, without a need to be online.

Shahed

I don't see anything wrong with it, why would you need more than 1 master system?

We have two PS3's in the house. I'll buy some stuff, mys sister will get something else as will my brother. We can play on either PS3 and play whatever game we want. It works really well and is convenient.

Can't do that on PS4

Well that's what it is.

I don't see anything wrong with it, why would you need more than 1 master system?
LA Studio and Cabin in the woods?
SoHo Apt and Hamptons house?
Home and Work?
Living Room and Bedroom?

changing from 5 to 2 caused an uproar, but many people defended it because of the rampant game sharing, especially at GAF. changing it from 2 to 1 won't go over so well, especially with defensive lines such as "it's what MICROSOFT does" because... well....

From Knack:
Fucking thank you!

Two activations plus additional ones have to be logged in. That is fucking great. Sony gets it.

Edit: oh I guess I spoke too soon, it's the shitty having to be online to play a game on another console method. That's fucking lame. The PS3 way is better.

jaypah

I'm going to buy Knack then tie my Ethernet cord in a knot. Then on launch day I'll untie it and Knack should start spilling out, right? I'm no networkologist but it sounds right.

Top Bottom