• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, the masters of spoiling the party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre

Ponn01 said:
*checks watch*

Yup, just about time for E3. Time to hunker down with some popcorn and watch the crazies come out with their threads.

Sad but true.
icon_sad.gif

Haunted

Chittagong said:
Then once the effect has been achieved, they (try to) quietly brush the FUD under the carpet. Usually they get away with it well.

Overall, Sony is a master in party pooper tactics. From PSP Japanese sub-$199 launch announcement (with a virtually non-shipping SKU) to showing empty PS3 mockup and calling it Spring 2006, and from displaying arrays of mockup game covers to trailer reels with CGI claimed to be real time, Sony is excellent in spoiling the party.
Don't forget that Microsoft basically invented the modern large-scale FUD tactics, though. Sony just brought them to the console space. :p

Sony smells like poop. Teehee. :lol

Also: Baby, baby, stick your head in gravy, wrap it up in bubble gum and send it to the Navy.

Mantorok

Either your examples are weak or the party they were spoiling was never that good in the first place.

I don't see much of a problem here.

Haunted

Chittagong said:
The recent discussion on 8 Days and Getaway being [...] games made me think of Sony's tactics overall [...]. Sony always comes up extremely strong [...], and [...] well.

To distract competition, Sony announces every [...] "hot game for the platform". This gives [...] an overwhelming catalog.

Overall, Sony is a master [...]. From PSP Japanese launch announcement [...] to showing[...] PS3 [...] and [...] displaying arrays of [...] games [...] Sony is excellent [...]
fixed so it's easier to read for sensitive Sony fans.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haunted One said:
fixed so it's easier to read for sensitive Sony fans.
:lol :lol :lol

Forsete

Gold Member
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Krazy Ken Kutaragi

I think it was in the same speech where he said people would get two jobs for it, or something.

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ps3-120fps,1654.html

He never talked about games, he was talking about movies. The 120fps game thing was a mistranslation by Gamespot. Check the slide, it mentions Blu-Ray and video standards, not games.

Its the Toy Story thing all over again. :lol

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/11/02/tomorrows_world_with_ken_kutaragi.html

An interesting post on the Beyond3D.com forum, complete with PowerPoint slides from Kutaragi's presentation, suggests that the 120fps comments were limited to the Cell technology's video/movie performance on forthcoming high definition TVs and didn't directly refer to games. So if you were looking forward to graphics performance possibly above and beyond the human eye's capabilities, you may be disappointed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is like stepping back about 2 years. It's kind of depressing. I would've thought we moved on from this by now. I remember seeing this in Gamespot system wars arguments way back. I also hardly ever see the TC in Sony related threads so that kinda says something.

jarrod

Banned
Reminds me of NCL's "Project Reality" tactics using renders upfront, talking about the platform as a shrunk SGI workstation, pushing the 64DD as a viable storage solution, Yamauchi casually announcing DQVII for N64, etc.

Dragon

Banned
So this is a thread where we shit on Sony for the overpromises, delayed and cancelled games, etc?

I think each company is pretty guilty of this, between Nintendo's debacle with Twilight Princess, Microsoft promising Toy Story 2-like graphics for the original Xbox, and Sony thinking they could just say whatever they dreamed up.

I mean honestly, two HDMI and three ethernet ports? Use as a router? Hook to two TVs at once? Poor Ken.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The OP makes it sound like this is all part of some carefully planned hype machine, when in reality, it could just be the cumulation of fuckups and slips from your average company.

This is totally baseless.

jay

GAF has this strange pull towards status quo that's always amazed me. I have no idea how outlandish the OP is but there's such a strong pull to entirely ignore any topic like it. Some companies use worse tactics than others, some are shadier, some are corrupt. Sony may be none of these things but the refusal to entertain the thought for even a second is just bizarre.

Hey, maybe MS is sometimes a shady company. I know GAF would call bullshit but the EU thought it was true. If Enron had been in the game market most of you would've mocked the "Is Enron tricking consumers?" thread.

Haunted

jay said:
GAF has this strange pull towards status quo that's always amazed me. I have no idea how outlandish the OP is but there's such a strong pull to entirely ignore any topic like it. Some companies use worse tactics than others, some are shadier, some are corrupt. Sony may be none of these things but the refusal to entertain the thought for even a second is just bizarre.

Hey, maybe MS is sometimes a shady company. I know GAF would call bullshit but the EU thought it was true. If Enron had been in the game market most of you would've mocked the "Is Enron tricking consumers?" thread.
nah, only the Enron fanboys on here would've done that. :p

outsida

Sony fanboys won't like this post but it is pretty much on the money. Everyone knows these are tried and true Sony tactics.

SpokkX

I agree 100%

Sony are the masters of deception. I never trust anything they say about their hardware/software until I see it myself

The PS3 was touted as "a generation ahead of X360". Obvious marketing bullshit

jarrod

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
So this is a thread where we shit on Sony for the overpromises, delayed and cancelled games, etc?

I think each company is pretty guilty of this, between Nintendo's debacle with Twilight Princess, Microsoft promising Toy Story 2-like graphics for the original Xbox, and Sony thinking they could just say whatever they dreamed up.

I mean honestly, two HDMI and three ethernet ports? Use as a router? Hook to two TVs at once? Poor Ken.
Someone in regards to PS2 was the source of the "Toy Story 2" comment iirc. I'm not sure if it was from SCE, but it wasn't from MGS and it wasn't concerning Xbox.

And, uh, what debacle with Twilight Princess? That it was head and shoulders ahead of anything the competition launched with quality wise? :p

SpokkX said:
I agree 100%

Sony are the masters of deception. I never trust anything they say about their hardware/software until I see it myself

The PS3 was touted as "a generation ahead of X360". Obvious marketing bullshit
And the 360 would get rid of jaggies and have games that felt like Lucid dreams.

Nothing new, no one's different...

*sheesh*

_dementia said:
waiting for 1080p 60fps ITT.
RR7 and SSHD say Hi!

:p

gcubed

half the posters in this thread have to be below 18 or 21 and never held a full time job in the real world.

You see, this is the kind of shit you get when you take dodgeball out of gym class in high school!!!

jarrod

Banned
Going back to the OP, I think the reason a lot of these tactics didn't work out is due to Sony's similar overpromises on PS2... the industry's memory isn't as short as some think, and Sony was getting a level of skepticism they'd never really encountered before (PSP added to this too).

And again, it's all eerily similar to how Nintendo conducted themselves with N64 imo.

Cruzader said:
so we going back to 06 shit? Man some of you take this way too serious.

"Why you gotta bring up old shit?"

TheBranca18 said:

Uh... that was Sony talking about the PS2.

Forsete

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Someone in regards to PS2 was the source of the "Toy Story 2" comment iirc. I'm not sure if it was from SCE, but it wasn't from MGS and it wasn't concerning Xbox.

And, uh, what debacle with Twilight Princess? That it was head and shoulders ahead of anything the competition launched with quality wise? :p

He is right, Microsoft talked about Toy Story 2 graphics. Sony never said anything about it, but it became a popular internet myth anyway.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Damn the "who cares??" people that jump on the OP with damage control. Stop being so defensive and bring some valid arguments to the table.

Eccocid

Well those are minor stuff when you consider that none of the HD consoles truly play 1080p games!(games that have native 1080p (a.k.a FULL HD))

HD era is all about lies!

jarrod

Banned
jarrod said:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

beaten.

jarrod said:
But IIRC it was something the media came up with and not Sony. I could be wrong though.

DeaconKnowledge said:
What was the reasoning for 3 Ethernet points and 2 HDMI ports again? I'm just not remembering the advantage..
None, it was a mock up. It's just that simple.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
There's nothing really inaccurate in the OP. However, Sony is not alone. MS promised the end of jaggies... lucid dreams, etc. etc. I think Nintendo overpromised a bit with the functionality of the Wii-mote.

If anything, I think this speaks to the immaturity of the gaming industry. While game revenues are now greater than typical movie openings, the industry is young and insecure.

jarrod

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
But IIRC it was something the media came up with and not Sony. I could be wrong though.
Sure, that's what I said originally.

It was heavily touted though (hence why most people remember the commentary for PS2, not Xbox). Blackey's comment was likely even a direct response to it. :lol

Uncle

DeaconKnowledge said:
What was the reasoning for 3 Ethernet points and 2 HDMI ports again? I'm just not remembering the advantage..

IIRC, it could work as a router or something like that and you could play on two screens with one console (either co-op or just two 16:9 screen side by side for extra wide screen). Something like that.

Blackley says Toy Story 1 too.
And:
"We don't want to disappoint gamers," he said, in a not-so-veiled reference to Sony's PlayStation 2 shortages.

I remember 360 shortages though :)

DarkJC

It's surprising how many people attribute the Toy Story comment to Sony, when Microsoft said the same thing about the Xbox. Was it because this forum was Dreamcast oriented at the time, so the Toy Story comment got lots of :lol 's, but when it came time to Microsoft making the claim, everyone was starting to own PS2s?

I'm just curious as to why you'll always get those people saying "that wasn't Microsoft, it was Sony!" but not the other way around. Wonder why it stuck out...

IIRC, it could work as a router or something like that and you could play on two screens with one console (either co-op or just two 16:9 screen side by side for extra wide screen). Something like that.

Yeah, I think they showed footage of GT:HD being driven across two screens in 1080p or something similar, when touting the 2 HDMI ports.

Forsete

Gold Member
jarrod said:
Right people, I've got it...

1999 PS2 = Toy Story graphics
2001 Xbox = Toy Story 2 graphics

:lol

Only there is no direct quote from Sony as far as I know. There was this blog post regarding this, sadly I cant find it anymore. It had links going way back showing it was something dreamt up by the media.

gcubed

Alaluef said:
Damn the "who cares??" people that jump on the OP with damage control. Stop being so defensive and bring some valid arguments to the table.

ok, heres the fucking argument...

LIFE

Get this 10 year old emo bullshit out of here. Companies overpromies and underdeliver ALL THE TIME. EVERYWHERE. If you arent out in the real world yet, get used to it now, or you'll be stuck in your mothers basement for the rest of your life.

Again, dodgeball could have fixed all this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom