• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, the masters of spoiling the party

Status
Not open for further replies.

zallaaa

I remember something about 2 simultaneous 1080p feeds to 2 independent screens, but I could be mistaken so my apologies in advance if I'm wrong

jarrod

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
This gen has definitely underdelivered, no doubt about it.
Going by early promises, I'd say every gen's underdelivered post NES.

This gen's still pretty great though. :D

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Chittagong said:
It's interesting that the model of this actually comes from the enormously successful Dreamcast spoiler tactic.
That spoiler doesn't support your complaints in the least though - because all the tech-demos made up to look like games ended up released, AND all of them looked better then their respective demos.

PSP misses were obviously more a result of market realities then any deceptions. I don't doubt DMC and the likes existed as concepts at some point in time - but well, DS happens. (or in case of GT, SCEI not being able to get a handle on PD).

Though I have to ask - what is so shady about hw mockups and FMV "techdemos"? Nintendo launched two consoles that way, and people never called them on it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ToxicAdam said:
This gen has definitely underdelivered, no doubt about it.

Not as much as Sony has. The thing about it is that all the false promises and empty hype has finally caught up to them.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I'm trying to remember...was there anything shown at Sony's 2005 E3 press conference that wasn't bullshit? I remember it being breathtaking at the time but none of it actually panned out IIRC.

You can't deny it, Sony is the master of the bullshot. All other bullshot artists bow in their presence.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
gcubed said:
ok, heres the fucking argument...

LIFE

Get this 10 year old emo bullshit out of here. Companies overpromies and underdeliver ALL THE TIME. EVERYWHERE. If you arent out in the real world yet, get used to it now, or you'll be stuck in your mothers basement for the rest of your life.

Again, dodgeball could have fixed all this
Much better. :lol

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
Though I have to ask - what is so shady about hw mockups and FMV "techdemos"? Nintendo launched two consoles that way, and people never called them on it.
Are you kidding? The N64 overhype nearly killed them, and there was an epic backlash later on after the GCN FMV, though it was more Zelda oriented... like your PS2 example, FMV stuff like Metroid generally hit the targets (or came reasonably close enough that none cared), and some of the demos (F5 Star Wars) were already realtime anyway.

jarrod

Banned
lawblob said:
I think Nintendo's hyping of the Ultra 64 still beats anything Sony has done.
I think N64 and PS2 were mirror images of hype and promise, even if their outcomes weren't. The PS3 snowjob wasn't near as bad as either though imo, and nobody really seemed to fall for it anyway.

theBishop

Banned
minus_273 said:
i guess you can throw 4-D gaming on the ps3 and jacking into the matrix in there too as crazy FUD. At least the latter is coming out 8 years later ... sort of.

4d:
the-eye-of-judgment-20070711050936969_640w.jpg

Jacking into the matrix:
pshome2.jpg

Food for thought. Or at least, Cheetos for thought.

andycapps

I'm curious how many people posting in this thread actually own a PS3? *Raises hand* And this is one of the worst cases of sour grapes I've ever seen. Geez, E3 '05 was almost 3 years ago and you people are still complaining over this. Every studio shows games that don't end up coming out. Sony just happens to have a much larger first party studio than Microsoft and Nintendo so it stands to reason they'd have more cancellations, right? Right?

jarrod

Banned
iidesuyo said:
GT Mobile is the Rev Unlimited of the 2000's.
Nintendo didn't make Rev Limit, that was from Seta.

If you want Nintendo's "GT Mobile", it'd have to be something like Jungle Emporer Leo, Fire Emblem 64 or Mother 3... only all those were actually in development at one point. :lol

cRIPticon

Gah! Sony doesn't do this any more than any other company. It's called 'MARKETING' and, yes, the tactics are designed to stall and entice you. Sometimes companies show off tech demos, like the rear-view PSP demo, as a POC and not everyone understands that it's just a demonstration of the kind of things that can be done.

Besides, no "LIVE Anywhere" beats anything in this thread :)

ToxicAdam

jarrod said:
Going by early promises, I'd say every gen's underdelivered post NES.

This gen's still pretty great though. :D

No way. Last generation delivered. Tons of games, new genres, handhelds taking it to the next level, aggressive pricing to push consumer demand, etc etc.

This gen has been about very few AAA games, milking their dwindling fanbase for every dollar and hardware failures.

besada

Banned
Sony's only the master of this in the video games industry. MS used the exact same tactic against Netscape and called it "knifing the baby".

No doubt that Sony always does this and a certain set of fans and journalists always fall for it, though.

lol @ this thread. That some of ya'll can't see the difference between mindless pr blather that everyone fucking does and trying to pass off pipe dream tech demos as actual footage is hilarious. Sony didn't just ruin their own credibility with this shit, they've killed the entire industry's.

I think this thread would be much more interesting discussing the fallout from such blatant disregard.

iidesuyo

jarrod said:
Nintendo didn't make Rev Limit, that was from Seta.

Yes but it's that racing game that never got officially canned.

By the way I recently read through some game magazines from the mid 90's. Funny stuff. They reported from Spaceworld '95 and mentioned that the N64 was "ready for the new standard, HDTV". That blew me away... I didn't even even know that HDTV was a topic back then. Regarding how the N64 struggled in 640x480 I wonder how the games would have run in 1280x720.

jarrod

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
No way. Last generation delivered. Tons of games, new genres, handhelds taking it to the next level, aggressive pricing to push consumer demand, etc etc.

This gen has been about very few AAA games, milking their dwindling fanbase for every dollar and hardware failures.
Handhelds this gen have really taken it to the next level. Last gen was just Advance Wars (still awesome) and SNES portz.

This gen's also brought downloadables, progressive interfaces, and 360's amazing, amazing software portfolio. I can see how the Sony contingent might be let down some, but honestly I'd say this gen kills last gen to this point. Also, what "new genres" did we get last gen?

gcubed

Son of Godzilla said:
lol @ this thread. That some of ya'll can't see the difference between mindless pr blather that everyone fucking does and trying to pass off pipe dream tech demos as actual footage is hilarious. Sony didn't just ruin their own credibility with this shit, they've killed the entire industry's.

oh, woe is me... your feigned hurt feelings and self righteousness that you "deserve" better is what hilarious in this thread

duk

Banned
so masterful that some of the stuff have come and bit them back in the ass, Sony has gotten a real sense of reality check. Lately, they have done a much better job and run a more realistic campaign than the first year or two of PS3 PR

Uncle

gcubed said:
oh, woe is me... your feigned hurt feelings and self righteousness that you "deserve" better is what hilarious in this thread

Tell me about it... Just who do these consumers actually think they are? Like their opinion matters. Bah.

Ramenman

* Regular non-reading of OP gets even more intense - check
* Fanboys' susceptibility level through the roof - check
* Direct consequence : everything and anything said can only be interpretated as direct attack to one of the three manufacturers - check.

Yeeepeee E3 is here already ! :D

Edit : wow I was just proved right even further.

Not seeing the difference between the Waverace tech demo and the Killzone 3 CG trailer passed as real time is like willfull blindness.

Thank you sir.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jarrod said:
It was officially canceled in 2000 iirc. If GT mobile gets the axe this year, then it works. :lol
It'd make more sense for them to get another team/studio to do it already. Then again given PDs history that would have made more sense back in 2004 as well and obviously someone was pigheaded.

jay

gcubed said:
ok, heres the fucking argument...

LIFE

Get this 10 year old emo bullshit out of here. Companies overpromies and underdeliver ALL THE TIME. EVERYWHERE. If you arent out in the real world yet, get used to it now, or you'll be stuck in your mothers basement for the rest of your life.

Why do you assume everything is equal? Why would all companies everywhere overpromise and underdeliver exactly the same? That seems far less likely than some companies doing it more than others and some even egregiously so.

This is the status quo, "nothing to see here, everything is always fine" kind of position I mentioned last page. I have no evidence one way or another but just the idea that everything isn't identical offends some people. God forbid we discuss some video game companies on a gaming forum.

Ajax

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Sony didn't just ruin their own credibility with this shit, they've killed the entire industry's.

It hurts to know that you're not a joke character. When will the fanboys get a life and stop hating lifeless consoles? You take the fun of reading this forum with all this nonsense.

PnCIa

It´s called misinformation. Every big company is doing it, although Sony is definitely doing it wrong.

Dragon

Banned
jarrod said:
Someone in regards to PS2 was the source of the "Toy Story 2" comment iirc. I'm not sure if it was from SCE, but it wasn't from MGS and it wasn't concerning Xbox.

And, uh, what debacle with Twilight Princess? That it was head and shoulders ahead of anything the competition launched with quality wise? :p

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

My bad Toy Story!

Well TP specifically had the whole GC/Wii thing going on. Nintendo tends to delay its first party titles forever (read: hyperbole).

hc2

I have all three consoles- the PS3 and Wii have a fine coat of dust on them as I look at them. The 360 is still warm. All three are launch buys. All three have had no mechanical problems. It just seems with Live and the game line-up, the 360 gets used 95% of the time. If the one I have failed, I would buy another. I am not sure I would do the same if the PS3 or Wii failed.
And as far as pre-release hype goes. the proof is in the pudding-SALES. The 360 and Wii are making money for their respective manufacturers. As far as I can tell, Sony is still losing money on their console (going by various posts and news items in various places). So what did they gain?

Kafel

Banned
PnCIa said:
It´s called misinformation. Every big company is doing it, although Sony is definitely doing it wrong.

On the opposite, I think Sony is very good at it.

Everyone or so buy their consoles for titles that will be released in 2-3 years, pushed back at the last minute while the hardware itself relies on "potential".

if anybody is a master its ms. they convinced millions of people rrod was not a widespread issue. they lied and covered it up so much ,they started believing themselves

jaypah

why do we do this song and dance every week? it's like if you mention anything about one of the big 3, the exact same avatars pop up to defend. like we don't know their opinion is totally warped :lol

and i don't know....sony promises a lot but they are marketing masters. they can play the hype game like no other. sometimes they get a little ahead of themselves but i don't know if it's being purposely deceptive or not.

cRIPticon

theBishop said:
This post made me experience The Zen of Gaming.
the_peter_moore_guarantee.jpg

WOHA! Ok, I think it's universally recognized that, as game execs go, Peter is one of the good ones. I can't keep track of how many times this guy has fought for his respective employer and did it with class. One great example of this was during the GameExecutive conference in 2000.

Peter was on stage with Bing Gordon, Kelly Flock and Brian Farrell, and getting fired upon by the panelists. Bing stating that the Dreamcast will fail without EA Sports and that EA was not going to support the Dreamcast for the foreseeable future, etc. Then I asked a question from the audience. The question was, "Now that Microsoft has dropped the 'WindowsCE' brand you are stuck with a dead logo on potentially millions of machines. What is SEGA's position on this?"

His reply: "If Microsoft announces what we all believe they will at GDC, they officially become the Anti-christ and the gloves come off!"

At next year's GDC, there was a picture of me on the front of the show guide laughing, along with the rest of the audience, at his response. I wish all game industry executives were as open, candid and cool as Peter.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
jay said:
Why do you assume everything is equal? Why would all companies everywhere overpromise and underdeliver exactly the same? That seems far less likely than some companies doing it more than others and some even egregiously so.

This is the status quo, "nothing to see here, everything is always fine" kind of position I mentioned last page. I have no evidence one way or another but just the idea that everything isn't identical offends some people. God forbid we discuss some video game companies on a gaming forum.

You're right, but this kind of discussion amounts to nothing.

theBishop

Banned
hc2 said:
I have all three consoles- the PS3 and Wii have a fine coat of dust on them as I look at them. The 360 is still warm. All three are launch buys. All three have had no mechanical problems. It just seems with Live and the game line-up, the 360 gets used 95% of the time. If the one I have failed, I would buy another. I am not sure I would do the same if the PS3 or Wii failed.
And as far as pre-release hype goes. the proof is in the pudding-SALES. The 360 and Wii are making money for their respective manufacturers. As far as I can tell, Sony is still losing money on their console (going by various posts and news items in various places). So what did they gain?

Here comes the sales discussion!

gcubed

jay said:

i would say most, if not all big business, in most, if not all aspects of corporate life over promise and under deliver on concepts.

My point is, its not a new revelation that all of a sudden started with Sony, and they are so horrificly bad they are bringing down the "industry as a whole" as one poster put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom