• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

Just seems like the wrong time to "hold back"

Microsoft revealed a new console

Nintendo is keeping the Switch train going with Mario, and confirming Metroid and Pokemon.

This feels like the time where'd you want to put your foot on the competitions neck with new announcements.
But what will happen now that they did hold back? What will change because they chose to wait until PSX?

Theonik

that's combined with PSX and PGW (2015), btw. At the moment, 2017 includes only games announced on E3.
Yes 2017 could be Sony's biggest year yet in terms of games. You can see the pattern. Many devs bet on Xbox and MS to come on top this gen and jumped ship when that didn't happen. I only expect the squeeze to get worse.

Elfstruck

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Ps4 Pro, but there's not much new exciting stuff that was announced for PS4. Nintendo didn't announce that much either but they definitely reassured that Switch is getting great support. Which is the reason why they "won" E3. I will be getting Switch now.

And the PS4 isnt getting great support?

AndyVirus

I'd like to see the conference reception in an alternate reality where the only differences were Sucker Punch revealed their game and From Software announced a non-Bloodborne game. To me it feels like this was all that was missing to make it go from "meh" to "good".

shmoglish

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Ps4 Pro, but there's not much new exciting stuff that was announced for PS4. Nintendo didn't announce that much either but they definitely reassured that Switch is getting great support. Which is the reason why they "won" E3. I will be getting Switch now.
Yup. The Metroidtrailer was insane.

If the line-up so far this year and for the rest of the year makes it seem to you like the PS4 is not getting great support from first and third parties, then I think it's time to pack up your PS4 and give it to someone in need. =P ;)

I'd like to see the conference reception in an alternate reality where the only differences were Sucker Punch revealed their game and From Software announced a non-Bloodborne game. To me it feels like this was all that was missing to make it go from "meh" to "good".

tbh, I feel like if Sony didn't reveal Spider-Man last year and saved TLOU Part II for E3, the reaction would have been completely different.

Even though both scenarios wouldn't have changed the fact that development for both games is ongoing. But don't show 1:30 of Spider-Man last year and instead reveal it this year and then it's more exciting, I guess, which makes sense but doesn't change the fact that Insomniac is working on an awesome game.

I mean, that's where it falls with me: had they not revealed Spidey last year and TLOU II at PSX, it would have been amazing to see it this E3 but wouldn't have changed anything in both game's development, so why is this an issue?

lol

Skeeter49

Just seems like the wrong time to "hold back"

Microsoft revealed a new console

Nintendo is keeping the Switch train going with Mario, and confirming Metroid and Pokemon.

This feels like the time where'd you want to put your foot on the competitions neck with new announcements.
Maybe they didn't want that stuff to compete with whatever Microsoft showed, since new first party games and a new console, could drown out a lot of things that Sony shows.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am wondering what the point of E3 is anymore. When it started we were on monthly news cycles because of magazines. Now information could be delivered any time. No need to blow your load at one event especially if they have their own smaller events throughout the year.

giapel

Did they hold back on 2017 games though? If not, it's irrelevant, all publishers have other stuff in the pipeline...

1 or 2 new anouncements that you are really excited about is all it takes to elevate a conference from good to great tho.

Froms game alone would take this years conf from a 6 to 9 imo

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This seems pretty obvious in hindsight. From and Sucker Punch was absent. Naughty Dog is busy with the Last of Us 2. Plus whatever else they have up their sleeve.

Shin

Banned
The hell did I wake up to, PS4/XB1 not getting great support?
That's some silly statement, every console is getting great support.
We have more games than we can buy or keep up with...

LAM09

Must have held back a lot judging by what was shown. I was expecting some sort of TLOU 2 footage with a potential release bracket.

Also dont anybody think that they dont have a lot of unanounced games left to hold back at this point and this is just pr talk..

Dont know about 2nd party (not even sure if any of froms games is 2nd or 3rd party) but sucker punchs games literally the only 1st party we dont know about right now

Masagiwa

Also dont anybody think that they dont have a lot of unanounced games left to hold back at this point and this is just pr talk..

Dont know about 2nd party (not even sure if any of froms games is 2nd or 3rd party) but sucker punchs games literally the only 1st party we dont know about right now

Well we know about some companies that are working on games that haven't been announced yet on any stage. According to Froms lineup video on their youtube channel their next game is multiplatform which means it does not have to show up on a Sony stage/show. If I remember correctly the reveal/gameplay trailers for DS3 was on a Xbox stage during E3 and Gamescom. They have 3 titles in the works so who knows if one of them is an exclusive.

Elfstruck

And Sony Japan's game from BB's producers, and Sony Manchester and London, I could go on...

Hex

Banned
Sony E3 was not barren at all

PS4:
God of War
Knack 2
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds DLC
Detroit: Become Human
SpiderMan
Days Gone
Shadow of the Colossus*New*
Monster Hunter: World*New*
GT Sport
Everybody’s Golf
Destiny 2
Crash Bandicoot
Matterfall
Tropico 6 *New*
Undertale *New*
Hidden Agenda *New*
Ni no Kuni II
Knowledge is Power*New*
Call of Duty
LocoRoco 2 Remastered *New*

PSVR:
The Inpatient *New*
Skyrim VR*New*
Moss*New*
Bravo Team*New*
SUPERHOT VR*New*
Star Child*New*
SPARC*New*
Do not forget 2 Yakuza entries

le.phat

Right...yeah...

damn, the salt is moving at an unprecedented pace. E3 is a magical time!

Gotta save face now that everyone doesn't praise your conference to hell and back and you have negative press in regards to cross-play. Pretty standard corporate speak tbh.

We already know for a fact that they're sitting on some megaton reveals, so why even ? What made you this pissy ?

Skeeter49

At the very least, Sucker Punch and Pixel Opus have had 3 years since they released their last games.

Then there's Manchester Studios, which we haven't seen a game from yet, granted it'll be a VR game. There's also Sony London, who while is most likely doing only VR, could have a surprised home console game in the works.

Then there's the Xdev side of Japan, whether From has a game with them or not, they're for sure working with other developers on games. I also have to imagine all their internal teams weren't on Gravity Rush 2 and Knack 2, so they have to have internal things going on there.

Then there's the chance of second teams we don't know about. Quantic Dream probably has another game to show, but aren't going to show it until Detroit at least has a release date. With how much Supermassive is pushing Until Dawn universe stuff, I'd be shocked if Until Dawn 2 wasn't in development. With how Dreams is going, I wouldn't be surprised if a second team at MM is working on a Tearaway 2 or something along those lines. With how Ratchet did, is what's left of Insomniac working on a Ratchet 2. With the push for something Sly Cooper whether movie or TV, do they have a game to go with it, not from SP, but from someone else.

Sony's First few years of the PS4 relied on external devs, now that we know most of the First Party stuff, and we still don't know all of it, I have to imagine the external stuff didn't stop, besides some iffy spots like RAD.

Again, in terms of big, impressive looking aaa games that only console manufacturers and biggest publishers can make, kind of games that get people off their seats during an e3 press conference, sucker punchs game is the only unknown right now.

Yes japan can have suprises but the games they develop internally tend to be on a smaller budget and scale. (Gr2, knack, puppeteer, id argue tlg as well)

Again, in terms of big, impressive looking aaa games that only console manufacturers and biggest publishers can make, kind of games that get people off their seats during an e3 press conference, sucker punchs game is the only unknown right now.

Yes japan can have suprises but the games they develop internally tend to be on a smaller budget and scale. (Gr2, knack, puppeteer, id argue tlg as well)

Perhaps but there is potential for a larger title from them.

Don't underestimate Sony's partnerships with third party.

JayBabay

Do people really want this more than new IP / Bloodborne 2?

It didn't age well, especially the controls, but I would never take a remaster over a new game.

However, If the new game needed a couple years and they wanted to release a remaster in between, then I'm all for that. Kinda like Dark Souls 2, however Demons Souls would need a lot more work.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
But what will happen now that they did hold back? What will change because they chose to wait until PSX?

Now coming for PS5 ...
J/K

Well, who knows honestly. PSX 2017 is post XBOX One X launch, so it likely doesn't have anything to do with showing games for PS4 to slow pre-orders for that system. Perhaps the trailers/games weren't yet in a state they felt were ready to show, or there weren't enough in a state ready to show. Stalling until December might buy them more time to prepare a show.

geflo

Neo Member
There were several games that could of made the conference better if it done during it and not in the pre-show.

Yakuza 1/6
Matterfall
GT Sport

remind people that Wipeout just came out / Crash is coming out soon and some fast snips of Everybody's Golf/Knack 2/FF12/Digimon Story 2/ect.

or Sony could of pulled Nintendo and plastered the Bloodborne 2 logo after Spiderman.

Now coming for PS5 ...
J/K

Well, who knows honestly. PSX 2017 is post XBOX One X launch, so it likely doesn't have anything to do with showing games for PS4 to slow pre-orders for that system. Perhaps the trailers/games weren't yet in a state they felt were ready to show, or there weren't enough in a state ready to show. Stalling until December might buy them more time to prepare a show.
That is what I think it is. Sucker Punch is working on a new IP that is open world so they could probably use the months leading up to PSX to get it right. It will also be that much closer to release from when it is revealed.

Im perfectly fine with the fact that they held back some stuff. It's pretty obvious that PSX has become an important event where they announce stuff.

I think it's possible that since Xbox wasn't perceived as a "10/10" conference that really meaningfully changed the narrative of the console market in that moment, that Sony made some last minute audibles and might have removed some of the more outlandish announcements to allow them to marinate more to be announced at a more reasonable time.

Until Spider Man, their conference was less than an hour. I know recently they've favored the "tight" E3 shows, but that still seems extremely short.

They better have.
Waiting for that Demons Souls/Dark Souls remaster

I really thought that Bluepoint was working on this, since it's apart of the Souls family and many PS4 owners (well a decent amount anyway) didn't have a PS3 to play it. It seemed like a slam dunk to bring that over.
Now that Bluepoint is off the table who would even work on it?
Didn't FromSoftware say they would flat out not work on a remaster? Is it something Japan Studios might work on?
I really hope it's something they can reveal at PSX, along with the next From Software game.

Makes sense considering how many unreleased games they already have announced.

I mean between GT sport, Death Stranding, GoW, Days Gone, TLOU2, Spiderman, Detroit, Shenmue 3, Knack 2, the large scale DLC they have planned for UC4 and Horizon, the PSVR stuff they showed off plus whatever Im completely forgetting about.

They need to get some of these games out or at least attach release dates to them before they worry about announcing more 2019-2020 games.

Plus PSX is their event now, if they save the big fan service stuff for that event that's fine by me.

And the PS4 isnt getting great support?

Yup. The Metroidtrailer was insane.

Just to be clear. I'm happy with PS4 support. It's just Nintendo convinced me to buy a console that I already decided to postpone buying. PS4 Exclusives are cool, but I already know that I will be playing them and there was no surprising AAA that would get me more excited. I still expect that stuff to come though (like Bloodborne 2 for example)

EDIT: Also Microsoft convinced me that I don't need X if I got Pro, so Switch is a no-brainer now.

Dipper145

Isn't this just common sense? With how game development is and the various stages of production, everyone holds stuff back that's currently being made. The only groups that don't would be small independent developers....

You can laugh it off if you want Shu, but your keynote was a disappointment because you held stuff back for PSX, TGS, and Gamescom. E3 is still the biggest hype generator for the NA (and maybe entire western) market and Sony fucked that up.

If stuff wasn't ready, who cares? Look what a title card did for Nintendo. And if you still don't think the NA market cares about Japanese games, the first half of this year would like to have a word with you.

Servbot24

Banned
Isn't this just common sense? With how game development is and the various stages of production, everyone holds stuff back that's currently being made. The only groups that don't would be small independent developers....

Game companies owe it to us to tell us everything they do. Otherwise we'll go into a frenzied panic. Which is their fault.

Also fuck game companies for telling us things they're doing more than a year in advance.

Top Bottom