• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

ianpm31

Sony did the Same with Shenmue in 2015, and people loved. This year Nintendo did this and people loved. Maybe people don't care when the game is released?

I mean Shenmue 3 was a kickstarter you kind of need to announce it so the game can get funding....

Sony did the Same with Shenmue in 2015, and people loved. This year Nintendo did this and people loved. Maybe people don't care when the game is released?

I found it funny that some people critic Sony for showing new games too early yet get excited over a logo

Guymelef

tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

Let me get this straight:

- Microsoft is presenting their new console which is much more powerful than PS4 Pro
- Nintendo first E3 with the Switch, which is sold out everywhere and and is launching two GOTY games this year

And Sony is backing off instead of going full steam ahead?

Please...

That's not how the world works.

alemmon

OléGunner;240730132 said:
Like the way they release their games most of year round, the same applies for announcements naturally.

PSX crowd will go nuts if SP reveal their new IP there.

And this is why I think they will announce it there.

Being in the crowd for the TLOU2 reveal was electric. And I am sure Druckman felt it and I know they felt it at the panel for TLOU2. It was packed and people loved seeing Ashley and Troy up there with Druckman talking about it.

I think Sucker Punch is ready for that electric feeling you only get at PSX.

Oh boy. In my post in the Sony E3 conference thread I made the comment saying PSX was hurting their E3 show. Guess they feel like PSX is bigger for them, nothing wrong with that, just a bit surprising since all eyes on E3 usually.

E3 might be the bigger show but it might not be the right time to show off specific games. I'm sure a demo of The Last of Us 2 is going to be a hell of a lot more impressive in December than June and it won't be stealing Uncharted's thunder then.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

- Microsoft is presenting their new console which is much more powerful than PS4 Pro
- Nintendo first E3 with the Switch, which is sold out everywhere and and is launching two GOTY games this year

Please...

Sony is the only one of these 3 which has a significant presence at TGS and have their own annual E3-level event (PSX) later in the year where they reveal AAA games.

It makes sense. Does it excuse a lackluster Sony conference ? no. But it makes sense.

The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Sucker Punch's new IP, From Software's new IPs and Armored Core. We definitively know that they have stuff they haven't ever shown gameplay for. They're also partnering and helping to bring Lost Soul Aside to PS4 as well. We know the games are coming, they just chose E3 to show off things that were more..."tangible".

Are From confirmed to be working on another PS exclusive? I was hoping we'd see a glimpse of one or more of the games they are working on at some point during E3.

I think this was pretty obvious. There are a few more shows to go this year and Sony need to have something to show at them too, especially PSX.

Tyaren

Right...yeah...

What is that supposed to imply? XD

If there's one thing Sony has delivered in the last couple of years, it's a big variety of exclusives. I don't think that is suddenly slowing/stopping now. There are probably more exclusive Sony games in the works now than ever before.

Drackhorn

And this is why I think they will announce it there.

Being in the crowd for the TLOU2 reveal was electric. And I am sure Druckman felt it and I know they felt it at the panel for TLOU2. It was packed and people loved seeing Ashley and Troy up there with Druckman talking about it.

I think Sucker Punch is ready for that electric feeling you only get at PSX.

This. PSX feels like a home game for Sony. No doubt they want to give it more weight.

Sephzilla

Hopefully this means Devil May Cry 5 might still be on the table then.

That Marvel vs Capcom Infinite trailer seemed like it was built to segway into a DMC5 announcement

Drencrom

Please...

Sony already have a ton of games announced for this year and 2018/onwards. I see no problem with them letting some announcements wait a bit until they feel they're ready, PSX / TGS etc exist too y'know.

ByWatterson

E3 is just becoming less relevant for everyone, honestly.

Yeah. The biggest three games of the fall (Destiny 2, Battlefront II, and COD) weren't just announced, but full on revealed before E3.

Nintendo was way ahead of the curve on this one. That's the real story here!

Alebrije

Please...

Not defending Sony but MS does not has IP that can fight even with the most powerful console of the universe.

Nintendo has a blue niche console that still has to develop market.

Sony showed a lot of games ,just because people think Days Gone and Detroit are not as good as previos IP does not means Sony is not trying...

It's incredible that Sony still has exclusives to show after E3.

Are From confirmed to be working on another PS exclusive? I was hoping we'd see a glimpse of one or more of the games they are working on at some point during E3.

I think this was pretty obvious. There are a few more shows to go this year and Sony need to have something to show at them too, especially PSX.
No, and Im going to make an educated guess and say that their ARPG will not be exclusive.

atr0cious

Not comparable when one is a 4 year old console.

Also Sony did show alot of exclusives.
It's a dumb answer because unless they're dropping out of the industry at the end of 2018, we know for a fact they'll be still working on games they haven't talked about, just like all the other companies.

alemmon

This. PSX feels like a home game for Sony. No doubt they want to give it more weight.

I go back to that first PSX with the first time they showed Uncharted 4 gameplay. The crowd went nuts.

The Until Dawn gameplay. The crowd was eating it all up, yelling at the developers to make certain choices in the game.

PSX is slowly becoming Playstation's E3. Hell, they are even having it in Anaheim again. I could easily see this becoming what Blizzcon is to Blizzard.

Trago

But many GAF posters told me that E3 is where the console makers go to hype the player base.

But hey, more power to you Sony. They've got a bunch of already announced games that aren't out yet need releasing. Maybe by PSX we'll finally get some hard release dates.

I really wanted to see what was up with Sucker Punch, but we'll have to wait I guess.

Please...

Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn will both also be GOTY contenders.

But besides that, why is showcasing what you can get this year and next year on the PS4 a bad strategy against an approaching mid-gen refresh in Scorpio and Switch's holiday line-up?

nampad

Of course they held back things, just like the others did too. Nintendo did some logo announcements though (MP4 and Pokemon Switch).

Please...

And they are still dominating the market and have the biggest marketing deals. Do they really need to worry? There are still conventions and PSX.

zelas

Sure, I bet Microsoft and Nintendo would say the same thing

They would say the same thing because they also have exclusives in the pipeline that arent ready to be shown. Otherwise E3 would be a bunch of Metroid Prime 4, 15 second clips. Do you think games are only born when they're announced?

Drackhorn

I go back to that first PSX with the first time they showed Uncharted 4 gameplay. The crowd went nuts.

The Until Dawn gameplay. The crowd was eating it all up, yelling at the developers to make certain choices in the game.

PSX is slowly becoming Playstation's E3. Hell, they are even having it in Anaheim again. I could easily see this becoming what Blizzcon is to Blizzard.

Looks like it and I can see why it's a valid choice.

Balfour

Probably a reason for it too. Think about it. Their show is in December and it's better to show a butt load of 2018 games and Japanese games there than at E3. TGS will have more Japanese games though

Of course they still had plenty of 2017 at E3 as well. But better to hold off on more of them until later

Their conference was still boring to

Also I have been feeling E3 dieing for years now. If Microsoft had their own event on the size of PSX, then it really would end it. Nintendo only makes a direct that day out of obligation. It feels like everyone needs to scramble for E3 even if they don't have any totally new announcements

how did this turn into a discussion?

Sony is the last one that needs to justify their line up...apart from that we know of 3-5 major games that Sony did hold back. What are you implying? Why are people questioning this statement?

2017 is by far Sonys best Line Up in this Generation and they will continue that in 2018 (GOW, Days Gone, Spiderman, Detroid, SOTC + others..)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I could also see this being Sony not wanting to show games in an early state and well before their actual release dates. They have games to show but have taken a lot of flak for showing things way too early.

Please...
Hi, Old guy on GAF here, work for a big corporation and help decide what to disclose for our portfolio each quarter and FY.

One of the first things you learn about forecasting in any business school worth a damn is not to disclose your entire year's worth of portfolio, especially when things are going well. Why? There's absolutely no reason to. You hold back, ride the wave, look for tipping points, divulge when necessary.

When you see the list of what Sony has planned for the next year and a half you don't need to go nuts. People are still buying PS4's in droves and they have a solid lineup of software that can only be played in their ecosystem.

Nintendo isn't going to go out and take over PS4 sales, I would bet you $100 most of the Switch buyers already have a PS4. (Like myself)

Sony is in no rush, nor do they have to be. To any corporation this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I do believe in what he said but that's jut an excuse for their poor showing.

I brought Nintendo to the discussion because they are the perfect example of holding back while still showing enough games to have a good presentation.

ianpm31

They've showed Knack, GTSport, Uncharted, God of War, Detroit Days Gone, Spiderman, Crash, VR titles and they call that holding back.

I guess ppl want Sony to have a 3 hour conference showing all the exclusives from 1st to 3rd party that are coming out later this year and next lol

They could have shown Yakuza kiwami, Yakuza 6, Ni No Kuni, etc but it would have just been bloated

Top Bottom