• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: We Held PS4 Exclusives Back from E3 2017

zsynqx

4oM2TV3.png

Makes sense.

Lost Legacy is out in a couple of months, so a big Last of Us presence at E3 would likely have overshadowed it.

I actually see that happening .. last year's PSX was just as big a Sony's E3 conference. Wouldn't be surprised if we see, among other things, first TLoU game play demos there this year.

ND really seem to like PSX .
We also saw our first UC4 footage there and UCTLL.

Sony make money off PSX and they have all the press for there self also .
So if i were them i would turn into my biggest show of the year .

Shin

Banned
So Dreams, Bloodborne 2, Demons Souls Remaster, Agent, Crash Racing, Savage Starlight, Deep Down=Dragons Dogma 2 and DMC5 all in December? GET HYPED!

TLoU2, Shenmue HD, more DBFZ, hopefully Onimusha Remake?, DoA6 and what's not.
Assuming those games are real...one can hope at least...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Probably decided to do that to match MS's show.
Sony "I think we only need to show a sizzler reel to match that"

Most of Sony's first party have already revealed their game or early in their next game. Some exceptions are:

- Sucker Punch
- Media Molecule
- SCEJ

I reckon most of these announcements will be from third parties.

Mikey Jr.

I can see PSX becoming bigger and bigger for Sony.

I mean, they DEBUTED Last of Us 2 there.

That is fucking nuts. Last of Us 2 is an E3 moment.

I'm not surprised though. Sony gets PSX day all to themselves, rather than being drowned out by everyone else.

I'm not saying Sony will leave E3 one day, but I can totally see them bouncing out of having conferences. I can see Sony slowly, year by year, building up PSX to have the same level of gravitas as E3 for them.

zeexlash

Makes sense and would explain the weird, short length of the conference, they probably just pulled a chunk of stuff out.

They should have asked why they held back..

Right...yeah...

I mean, they announced a lot last year at E3, but that didn't stop them from a Last of Us Part II announcement, or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, or Knack 2, or Wipeout Omega Collection, or remasters of PaRappa/Locoroco/Patapon.

They had a lot of games without release windows from the past year or two. If they decided to not show Spider-Man last year, making the final trailer this E3 a surprise, would that have changed the fact that the game was in development and we're getting it in 2018? If Naughty Dog decided to hold The Last of Us Part II for E3, would that have changed that the game was in development?

PSX went from a fucking joke one year to being amazing the next. I think Sony care a whole lot about PSX now, more than E3 and Gamescom is an event they don't seem to bother with anymore.

I don't mind, it makes sense for Sony to break their announcements throughout the year. The timing also works great between E3 and PSX which is 6 months, a good time to update on the games announced and also show the new games.

Druckmann tweeted what was pretty obvious, in that Uncharted is getting focus until it releases and that game needs the spotlight, as the buzz does not seem to be there. PSX, Sucker Punch new IP (man they taking their time) and TLOU II gameplay, book it.

Bahorel

I mean I don't blame Sony for no drops this year but they might should have saved one of last year's announcement for this e3 instead. I also think if they had put hidden agenda and gotten that kingdom hearts trailer premiere in this conference people would have been less underwhelmed

I mean I don't blame Sony for no drops this year but they might should have saved one of last year's announcement for this e3 instead. I also think if they had put hidden agenda and gotten that kingdom hearts trailer premiere in this conference people would have been less underwhelmed

hidden agenda was misplaced. As for KH, I don't think what else Sony could do since it was Nomura's choice

Dynomutt

PSX 2016 > E3 2016

It's becoming this. Show general support for E3 and it sets the mindset that nothing is coming them boom hit em with the megatons at E3!

This is what they did at last PSX megatons and upcoming games it was huge. Not to mention the panels.

PSX was great because it set the tempo for all the great releases in 1st qtr 2017 and when they came out the mindshare was awesome.
Also who else has a December show Sony can keep all the mindshare and news cycle to themselves.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nope, Sony blew it. They can't redeem themselves now.

Its a single conference, jesus christ. Some people pushing a narrative about how they have failed the whole year because of an average E3 conference are sad, especially after the stellar first half of the year they just had.

FromAtoX

I'm totally fine with this, specially since these games are not releasing anytime soon they can save these announcements for future conferences.

man.. and I thought MS was full of shit.

I don't see what's wrong with this statement. They have stuff in development, and they decided not to show it at this moment in time. Seems perfectly reasonable to me?

We know they're not lying either, because studios like Sucker Punch have to be making something. I can't imagine they're paying them to sit on their hands. Same with new VR studios like Manchester Studio.

Head.spawn

I think it's safe to assume that unless the studios are closed, they're working on something. No excuse for a lackluster E3 showing.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
could explain the crappy showing this year..oh well...another long wait for TGS

PSX went from a fucking joke one year to being amazing the next. I think Sony care a whole lot about PSX now, more than E3 and Gamescom is an event they don't seem to bother with anymore.

I don't mind, it makes sense for Sony to break their announcements throughout the year. The timing also works great between E3 and PSX which is 6 months, a good time to update on the games announced and also show the new games.

Druckmann tweeted what was pretty obvious, in that Uncharted is getting focus until it releases and that game needs the spotlight, as the buzz does not seem to be there. PSX, Sucker Punch new IP (man they taking their time) and TLOU II gameplay, book it.

They're not really taking their time at Sucker Punch. Remember that Horizon started development (new IP) in 2011 and they showed nothing until E3 2015. While another team did work on Killzone: Shadow Fall, which they showed in 2013, they're a big enough team to do that, while Sucker Punch is not.

Will these "held back" games release within the next few years? /s

For real though, as much as I love Sony's exclusives I'm slightly annoyed with their long reveal to release windows. It's neat to know that new games are coming, but it's even more neat to actually play them.

Top Bottom