• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will showcase 40+ games at E3

Modern Socom wouldn't work because developers are so convinced that matchmaking is the way people want to play online shooters.

The truth is, is that matchmaking is only popular because that's the system that Call of Duty uses. You press a button, and you're in the room with a bunch of strangers, and playing in less than 30 seconds. That's great, but that doesn't grow a community. I suppose when you have thousands and thousands of people online concurrently at any point throughout the day it really doesn't matter. But it's the laziest possible way to do online multiplayer and is clearly designed to cater to the lowest common player.

A decade ago, Socom was all about LOBBIES & ROOMS on separate servers. The community was allowed to find itself. You and group of people could go off and do your own thing for as long as you wanted and had control over a bunch of different settings. This setup is now extinct on consoles.

ahhhhh good times

Raonak

Banned
Sony uses the number card 40+ games at E3 it's perfectly fine.

joker.jpg

Microsoft uses the number card "5 billion transistors" everyone goes crazy.

So basically they are showcasing 40+ games on PlayStation platforms on E3 including multi-platform games...

Hahaha. I love how broken of a comparison it is.

no-one gives a shit about transistor count. thats why people went crazy. rather than disclose proper specs MS gave us that useless tidbit.

Modern Socom wouldn't work because developers are so convinced that matchmaking is the way people want to play online shooters.

The truth is, is that matchmaking is only popular because that's the system that Call of Duty uses. You press a button, and you're in the room with a bunch of strangers, and playing in less than 30 seconds. That's great, but that doesn't grow a community. I suppose when you have thousands and thousands of people online concurrently at any point throughout the day it really doesn't matter. But it's the laziest possible way to do online multiplayer and is clearly designed to cater to the lowest common player.

A decade ago, Socom was all about LOBBIES & ROOMS on separate servers. The community was allowed to find itself. You and group of people could go off and do your own thing for as long as you wanted and had control over a bunch of different settings. This setup is now extinct on consoles.

We should gather the GAF Socom community and mourn the death of Socom as we knew it together. But this is very accurate. The community that Socom built was really special, on many levels lol, and it will never work in a quick match setting. People spent hours upon hours in the same lobby playing with the same people! By the end of the night you made at minimum 5 friends, it was AWESOME! The pinnacle of online gaming in my opinion.

Cidd

Do you honestly think that if these were exclusives they wouldn't have said 40+ exclusives at E3 instead of 40+ showcases?

If it were exclusives it would be Tsar level bomb in here.

Did they say anywhere in that trailer that it was 40 exclusives?

seriously you're really trying too hard.

Maybe you misunderstood what I said, what I meant to say was Sony and other devs have been announcing games coming to the PS consoles since the PS4 unveiling, among the many indie games already announce Planetside 2 and Warframe were confirmed today. I don't get how that compares to the 5 billion transistor claim MS made. but somehow you saw a comparison.

NONE ON XBOX

DriveClub
DC Universe Online
Diablo III
Infamous: Second Son
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Primal Carnage
PlanetSide 2
The Witness
Warframe
War Thunder
Sony Santa Monica PS4 new IP

Naughty Dog PS4 game
Quantic Dream PS4 game
Media Molecule PS4 new IP

Rain
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
Until Dawn
Dragon's Crown
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster
Dragon Fantasy Book II
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
Gran Turismo 6
Divekick
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
Time and Eternity
Killzone: Mercenary
Tearaway
Valhalla Knights 3
Muramasa Rebirth
Tales of Xillia

Drakeon

The post you quoted when you said this made me think about The Last Guardian with Oculus Rift and I am upset that this thought has entered my brain and will probably never leave.
How would they make that work? TLG wasn't supposed to be first person right? I haven't used one, but I thought I heard the giant bomb guys stating that it'd be hard to do a non first person game with it.

kevinski

Banned
If Microsoft survives until next next gen....I bet they'll try to reveal first again XD.

Microsoft will probably start designing its next console sooner, as well...ideally as soon as Xbox One is ready to launch. Hell, I remember reading about Sony already having a PlayStation 3 prototype when PlayStation 2 launched. I'm not sure when Sony started working on PlayStation 4, but I really hope that Microsoft gets its ass in gear with stuff like this. I'm starting to get a bit worried that Microsoft is really gonna blow this launch big time.

Got to admit they know how to pull my gamer strings.

i mouthed "wow" while reading the OP even though i know a lot of those 40 we will already know about.

Microsoft will probably start designing its next console sooner, as well...ideally as soon as Xbox One is ready to launch. Hell, I remember reading about Sony already having a PlayStation 3 prototype when PlayStation 2 launched. I'm not sure when Sony started working on PlayStation 4, but I really hope that Microsoft gets its ass in gear with stuff like this. I'm starting to get a bit worried that Microsoft is really gonna blow this launch big time.

Around 2008 I think Mark Cerny said.

Neverfade

Hub2IOz.jpg

Needs a Mattrick shop stealing PS3 games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I can smell bans on E3 its gonna be an all out massacre. No one will win and Gaf will explode.
io8jpjWHRk4H6.gif

luffeN

Maybe you can post the full schedule in the OP:

Monday, June 10th | PlayStation E3 2013 Press Conference | 5:30pm Pacific Time
Tuesday, June 11th | PlayStation LiveCast show | 12:00pm to 6:00pm Pacific Time
Wednesday, June 12th | PlayStation LiveCast show | 10:00am to 6:00pm Pacific Time
Thursday, June 13th | PlayStation LiveCast show | 10:00am to 6:00pm Pacific Time

So the LiveCast, excluding the presser, will last for 22 hours. Plenty of time to show stuff.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sony is building the hype right.

as an xbox gamer last gen, I'm actually surprised to feel myself taking notice of the console. E3 is probably going to decide my purchase.

I miss the good old Socom days
fantasia-o.gif

zeopower6

Guess or the official split?

No one knows what the actual split is unless they are insiders. It's probable that Vita will have quite the showing according to rumors. I find it disappointing that people say the Vita is dying and yet any time Sony can show it off, they discourage it. Ugh.

Stop it you're making me depressed (never a socom fan but I'm endlessly annoyed at matchmaking, as you said it kills any chance at having a community)

No one knows what the actual split is unless they are insiders. It's probable that Vita will have quite the showing according to rumors. I find it disappointing that people say the Vita is dying and yet any time Sony can show it off, they discourage it. Ugh.

I really hope they give the VITA the showing it deserves. I'm hoping at least equal time and games shown as the PS4, if not more. One good E3 is all it needs IMO.

demolitio

Why did you guys have to go and talk about SOCOM...Now I won't sleep dreaming of the good ol' days and the sad decline of the series. I would shit my pants if it did come back, but I doubt it'd be true to the SOCOM fans anyway.

Thanks. I did find it a little strange that there would be only 3 Vita games. Guess that should have a sign it wasn't an official split.

Really hoping they knock it out of the park with Vita support.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hopefully they do like last E3 and ignore Vita.
I guess you love wonderbook! :p

This is one the reasons why sony handhelds will never have the same success as nintendo ones, many(most?) sony fans are so selfish and close minded, they want sony only on home consoles and they (not-so)secretly want vita to die not understanding all the negative consequences on the entire company and on the other consoles.

Probably a lot of Vita stuff.

Are we talking about the same sony? :(

Alpende

I guess you love wonderbook! :p

This is one the reasons why sony handhelds will never have the same success as nintendo ones, many(most?) sony fans are so selfish and close minded, they want sony only on home consoles and they (not-so)secretly want vita to die not understanding all the negative consequences on the entire company and on the other consoles.

Are we talking about the same sony? :(

You can't expect that those 40+ games are mostly PS3/4 games right?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You can't expect that those 40+ games are mostly PS3/4 games right?

Rumors were floating around that the Vita presence was going to be biiiiig but I kinda doubt many are included as part of the PS blog broadcasts which is what the 40+ refers to.
I want to be optimistic about this e3, really, but after the e3 2012 i can't :(
At the e3 2012 there was no ps4 and vita was the console to launch, and we all know how it went...

Doesn't surprise me really; Sony's got a whopping three consoles to tend to now. One that ought to be on the way out but is still burgeoning, one in desperate need of new game announcements and another spearheading the next gen. A company with all that on their plate are inevitably going to accumulate a hefty amount of titles to showcase.

Not that I'm complaining.

Top Bottom