• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

https://twitter.com/VideoGamerCom/status/595958131953401856

Sony will not be hosting a press conference at this year's Gamescom, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has confirmed to VideoGamer.com.

Instead, the platform holder will be holding an "international media briefing" at Paris Games Week in October.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_wont_be_holding_a_press_conference_at_gamescom_2015.html

Personally not happy about this, its the only thing worth watching at the show

SerTapTap

Damn, that's lame--because of PS Experience maybe? I liked how Sony had their announcements all spread out actually.

They would just be repeating the same old PR stuff though. E3 is only a short way away, so why blow their load then?

Its much more interesting seeing what other games are at Gamescom than focusing on the big publishers and brands.

Heartfyre

The reasoning is important.

"With the changes this year of E3 taking place a week later and Gamescom taking place earlier, we feel that both PlayStation and the wider industry would benefit from a major news milestone later in the year, during the most important period for gaming."

Can't really argue with that. So long as they're still exhibiting.

Damn, that's lame--because of PS Experience maybe? I liked how Sony had their announcements all spread out actually.

No, because E3 and gamescom are only six weeks apart this year. They moved the conference to the Paris Games Week (which takes place in October).

Quotient

It seems to be more of an issue of gamescom and e3 schedules closing in, as they still plan on having a press conference, just later in the year, and at Paris.

"With the changes this year of E3 taking place a week later and Gamescom taking place earlier, we feel that both PlayStation and the wider industry would benefit from a major news milestone later in the year, during the most important period for gaming. We are excited about our plans and look forward to sharing some exciting announcements. We will share more information closer to the time."

I think the PSX was such a success for them last year that they don't need to show up at Gamescom. Also, E3 and Gamescom are pretty close to each other in date. I don't blame them. PSX is in December. Thats alot more time to get stuff on new games and what not.

announce an holiday price cut in early august would be pretty stupid
a delayed press conference in october makes perfectly sense

SerTapTap

No, because E3 and gamescom are only six weeks apart this year. They moved the conference to the Paris Game Show (which takes place in October).

Oh, that close? That makes sense then. Will the Paris Game Show have an English feed or? Never caught up with it.

kadotsu

Banned
Sound reasoning. I hope they put some TGS stuff into their presentation. France is a good place to announce Japanese game(s).

Feindflug

Gamescom is even less interesting this year. :(

As the guys above me already said let's hope this means that they will have an even stronger E3 conference.

Probably keeping things for the new annual PSX event also.

Mid year E3 showcase
End year PSX showcase

smaller events in between

etta

my hard graphic balls
Most important period for gaming as in fall, right?

Oh well. Hoping for a price drop at E3 anyway. Not really needed for me, though.

Oh, that close? That makes sense then. Will the Paris Game Show have an English feed or? Never caught up with it.

I'm sure that Sony will have a stream for it since it's their major European conference this year. Many are now speculating that it's where Quantic Dream's game will debut. It'll probably also be the next time we get to see Wild.

Adachi

Banned
I don't wanna wait till late October for more PS goodness after E3 D:

You better deliever at E3 to make up for the 2 1/2 months added waiting time after that conference, Sony :p

There only so many announcements you can make in a year. And there more and more shows that people expect big announcements from. And Gamescom is really not that far way from E3. Makes sense to save some announcements for later in the year.

Adachi

Banned
Also can the OP maybe edit the title to make clear that they are instead holding a press conference later in Paris, the thread is already acting as if the press conference is completely gone.

I can guarantee some will see this and claim it's because sony has no games to show. Despite the article saying that they will be showing at a different conference instead.

Also can the OP maybe edit the title to make clear that they are instead holding a press conference later in Paris, the thread is already acting as if the press conference is completely gone.

OP made it pretty clear in the post but people just can't read.

but isnt it around five/six weeks between Paris and PS Experience too?

Well, we don't know when PSX is this year or if they'll even have it. There was some back and forth after the original confirmation of it being a yearly show. But that's intended to be a fan experience, so Sony may view it as being completely separate from all of these other shows.

Damn that sucks. That sucks ass. Sony tend to deliver at Gamescom, so to not have them there this year is going to hurt. I don't know what exactly an "international media briefing" is going to entail, but I don't like the sound of it.

Scanna

Come on, their explanation is absurd to say the least. Gamescom is just a week or so early this year, what difference does it make?
I guess it's just a money thing and desire to have the spotlight just for themselves.
anyways, this sucks big time. 90% of the European press and fans will attend Gamescom the same, a week early or not. It's not that they were using that extra week to develop new content: Gamescom announcements are and will remain remainders or leftovers from E3. Honestly, showing them a week later is it really that different?

Hexa

Or maybe combine this thread with this one and title it: "Sony doing PGW conference instead of Gamescom conference" or something like that.

Ricky_R

Wonder what this means for the argument some people were having recently about which conference held more weight, E3 or Gamescom?

Btw, they probably did this because PlayStation Meeting is yearly now.

Top Bottom