• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

Dinda

Ha typical Sony, now that they think they have Germany in the back they stop to care, your Chance Microsoft!

Not surprised with how close it is to E3 this year. But this will hurt Gamescom quite a bit i think.

Elios83

Yeah I kinda expected it, Gamescom this year happens too soon and too close to E3, early August is not the ideal time to make relevant announcements, also with PSX and other venues coming later in the year they decided to skip it.
Still it's a big hit for Gamescom, but E3 should have more announcements =)

Auctopus

The reasoning needs to be in the OP. It's very sensible.

Some people seem to think this means Sony won't have any presence at Gamescom, their games will be there.

iceatcs

I agreed, E3 and Gamescom are too close each other to have a press conference for both.
There was some repeat section in the show from E3 - likewise same trailers, demonstration or games.

Eggbok

I just want another moment like this, one of my favorite Sony Gamescom moments.
Make it happen Shu!

JW6ZOk5.png

El-Suave

Well they have E3 and PSX which is dedicated to them. TGS as well. Do they really need 4 conferences.

The branches within Sony are pretty independent - SCEA puts a lot of effort into E3 and PSX and SCEE into Gamescom. Of course they all want to reap the fruits of their labour and look good and shine.

It would be cool (and fair) to have PSX in different countries in Europe bi annually instead of it just having a US focus, but why would SCEA agree to that when it's their baby?

maltrain

This is a very smart (and troll) move from Sony.

Very smart because they can make BIG announcement just before holiday season start.

Troll because conference is the same day Halo 5 go to market...

Well played...

This suggests to me that MM will announce their project at e3, typically EU studios are Gamescom but I can't see them waiting for that long.

Wonder what this means for the argument some people were having recently about which conference held more weight, E3 or Gamescom?

Was just thinking that...

Either way though the most interesting aspect of this to me is the actual reasoning behind it. Do they feel like its to close to E3 to make anymore big announcements so its just not worth it? Do they just not have anything to show at that timepoint? Are they just planning to have many developers in a crush at this point to take the extra time to make a demo/trailer just for this event? Do they just not think Gamescom matters in the long run? Or something completely different, I'd be curious to hear that reasoning behind it, that is for sure.

RexNovis

Banned
Whoa what?!?!? Well there goes my prediction for a price drop announcement at Gamescom. This is crazy and extremely disappointing.

Elios83

This is a very smart (and troll) move from Sony.

Very smart because they can make BIG announcement just before holiday season start.

Troll because conference is the same day Halo 5 go to market...

Well played...

Yep I expected the price cut to happen in early September, now it's very likely that they'll have a big announcement in late October in time for the holiday season.

Septic360

Banned
You guys have somehow jumped the gun, completely ignoring the fact that Gamescom is arguably the second biggest gaming event of the year and are now talking about price drops because the gaming event is in Paris?

425.gif

Gurish

Damn i really liked their schedule of E3---> Gamescom---> PSX, was really nicely spread.

I don't get it, if Paris is at the end of October, it's pretty close to PSX which happens in December so why showing there and not in Gamescom which is far more important?

so no conference but playstation will most likely be in the show floor?

ehhh...not a big deal then. i mean, playstation just added psx. and they're still going to paris.

Kyoufu

You guys have somehow jumped the gun, completely ignoring the fact that Gamescom is arguably the second biggest gaming event of the year and are now talking about price drops because the gaming event is in Paris?

425.gif

I don't follow. What's your point? They don't have a conference at Gamescom this year.

RexNovis

Banned
Wait HOLD UP! When in October is the Paris event? Is it close to the release of Halo 5? Because this could be their way to use a big platform to announce a major price cut in order to offset sales bumps for XB1 from Halo 5.

Tokyo Game Show.

Or that. Looks like I'll be going to TGS again this year

nib95

Banned
So now they'll be doing PSX, their Indie event, Paris, E3 and TGS on their main shows? Bit disappointed to see them missing at Gamescom, but hopefully Paris makes up for it.

Begaria

Wait HOLD UP! When in October is the Paris event? Is it close to the release of Halo 5? Because this could be their way to use a big platform to announce a major price cut in order to offset sales bumps for XB1 from Halo 5.

Looks like it begins on Oct 27 and ends on Nov 1. The release date of Halo 5.

Shame to say, I hadn't heard of the Paris Games Week until today. I looked them up and they're just slightly behind Gamescom in attendance and have been around for five years. I have no idea how I never heard of PGW until today.

Konami probably did it because that is where PT debuted.

Damn it, I wanted to make that joke :p

I'm not sure what to think, does this implicate that Sony have less to announce this year? They were spreading it out while the other two didn't really do that...

Brudinho

Banned
Why?
GamesCom is getting bigger and bigger every year
Their last press conferences at GamesCom were usually pretty good beside the camera , so I don´t really understand this move
Let´s see if Microsoft does the same

PGW : October 28th
Halo 5 : October 27th

Most likely Sony has their event a day before PGW anyway... so...

Same day lol?

Akai__

How do people come to these kind of conclusions? lol

BadWolf

Why?
Their last press conferences at GamesCom were usually pretty good beside the camera , so I don´t really understand this move

MS should take the opportunity and make Gamecom count this year in their favour.

Septic360

Banned
I don't follow. What's your point? They don't have a conference at Gamescom this year.

Yeah that's my point. Gamescom is huge. Them missing out on it is prima facie, a bad thing. But people have somehow made some sort of leap about price cuts because the gaming event is in October.

airborn

Why is Gamescom so early now? Why mess with a good thing?
Summer break was moved up a week in North Rhine-Westphalia, which explains why Gamescom is a week earlier this year.

Paris Games Week is huge consumer event (272.000 visitors last year). Should be interesting to see if others will follow suit.

Verendus

Banned
How do people come to these kind of conclusions? lol
Sony is just learning from the masters at Microsoft. It's not about the preseason. It's all about the holiday season. Halo 5 is in the preseason. You just ignore that.

I also look up to Phil Spencer. He's my hero.

425.gif

No, we're "jumping the gun" because a couple weeks difference between E3 and Gamescon isn't a big deal. And because Gamescom is so big, Sony better have / probably has a really good reason for no conference there.

Lots of people here have been thinking a price cut is coming this year. Announcing earlier at Gamescom may stall sales. So the fact that Sony would move to a conference late October just in time for the holidays makes sense to some of us that believe a price cut is coming anyways.

Bousf

Glad to see a change of pace, but the wait between E3 and TGS is going to be awful this year xD

The positioning of the PGW conference seems fitting to announce a price drop right before the holidays, on Halo's launch day lol

Begaria

Why?

According to what little research I've done (i.e. wikipedia to the rescue!), Paris Games Week also has been getting bigger and bigger every year. Gamescom popped up in 2009, Paris Games Week in 2010.

2014 attendance Gamescom: 335,000
2014 attendance Paris Games WeeK; 272,000

It's pretty close. It's just that the Paris Games Week doesn't look to have had any major media briefings. This year marks the first, I think, from what little research I've done :p

Top Bottom