• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly this seems a risky move.

Who wants several subscriptions to look out for every month when you get paid?! I already have Netflix, PSplus and a few other subs that come out my account throughout the month. Let alone more of these subscriptions flying about the place.

I don't want EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc jumping on this bandwagon creating even more subscription services. It just turns the whole game industry into what the TV industry is right now. With NowTV, Sky, and all that malarkey. exclusive TV shows and content on different subscription services.

I want everything all in one place god dammit!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's anti-consumer in the short term. In the long term Sony (obviously) wants a unified service where customers pay once and get all the games from all the publishers (ideally). EA wants to have a split market where every publisher has their own money making service, like they did with Origin in the PC industry. You decide which of these two really sounds anti-consumer.

That's exactly my thinking.

I'm more surprised to see a first party saying bad things about a just announced offering from a 3rd party partner, that doesn't happen often. They could've just said something else, more neutral, this can't be good for politics lol.

This.

It's a pretty aggressive stance to give the middle finger to a partner service.

cafemomo

EA games sneak their way into PS+ anyway.

Crysis is "free" right now and NFS hot pursuit was avaialbe last month etc etc

Krilekk

Banned
So you have Indie games left to play?
If this is successfull every pub will jump on the train and you have the choice between boycotting them or pay 30€ per month for 5 subscriptions.

Currently I pay 120 € for the two games I buy each month. So ...

kevm3

And what's wrong with that if they all offer the same kind of EA Access does?

If Ubi launched an access service and most of their games were available for a similar price to access (£20 for the year), how is that bad for gamers?

What if Activision decided to put Destiny and Call of Duty's multiplayer behind the subscription pay wall? And then EA did that as well? Do you really want to pay for all these separate subscriptions?

People think it's beyond the possibility of happening, but just watch.

Kayant

Sounds good in theory.

Then in 2015 you have:

PS+ $5 a month
Ubisoft Uberservice $6 a month
EA Access $9 a month (price rise)
EA Online Access $5 a month (online play for EA titles)
Activision COD Pass $10 a month
Activision Destiny Pass $12 a month
Activision Do we make other games? Probably Pass $7 a month
Square Us too Pass $40 a month, $20 extra for games.

And so on.

Personally I'm happy for it to be all under one umbrella, that you have to pay anyway to pay online. Otherwise things could get stupid very fast... and lets face it, with these companies involved you know that it will.

The thing is if this is successful for EA on XB1 then other publishers will look into it anyways. Sony not having it on PS4 does hinder the reach of the program but how successful the program is on XB1 can still be an indication on how it may work when expand to other platforms.

I'm more surprised to see a first party saying bad things about a just announced offering from a 3rd party partner, that doesn't happen often. They could've just said something else, more neutral, this can't be good for politics lol.

Maybe they has enough of EA begging outside their buildings and decided to send a message?

Mikey Jr.

Sony, for one reason or another, don't want this to get traction. A good way to do that is to deny it on the leading platform.

The only question now though is why?

RexNovis

Banned
Thank god. No matter how noble EAs offering sounds, lets do not forget: This is EA. This company constantly tries to screw customers, not offer them a good deal. ´So I'm happy that this EA poison-vault stays away from PSN.

This is basically where I stand at this point too. EA should really be on every gamer's shot list at this point. They've shown time and time again all they're interested in is squeezing more and more money out of their customers for smaller and smaller initial investment. This just seems like a clever way to provide "value" without actually diminishing any actual revenue and maximizing the likelihood of success for their onslaught of microtransactions.

However, it is a really odd response from Sony and I have no doubt it's likely just a PR shovel to save face. But if that prevents EA from gaining a foothold in a subscription based gaming device than that's a win in my book.

Elitro

While i feel that protecting the consumer is always a good practice, i think in this particular case they could let the consumer decide that by themselves.

This is not a case where if the consumer does not buy the subscription he would be blocked of accessing certain content in EA games, if that was the case i would understand Sony's position. It feels more like a PS+ type of thing for EA, which is fine if the consumer wants it.

Edit: Althou maybe it's for the best, EA might try to chew a bit more if this gets popular...

Dunlop

Sounds good in theory.

Then in 2015 you have:

PS+ $5 a month

And so on.

Personally I'm happy for it to be all under one umbrella, that you have to pay anyway to pay online. Otherwise things could get stupid very fast... and lets face it, with these companies involved you know that it will.

out of that entire list the only thing that is pretty much manditory is PS+ (unless you do not want to play online) everythign else could be easily ignored if you were unhappy with the offering

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That's a really anti-consumer decision on their part, it's up to consumers to decide whether or not the program represents a good value for them.

And sadly consumers are a stupid bunch, hence the reason we have to pay for online gaming. So yeah, I don't want the other idiot gamers ruining things for me by signing up for EA's service, thus opening the doors for Activision and others to start their own subscription services. No thanks.

iceatcs

I would be a little happy for it because I would like to try ps4 version of the games without using gamefly.

The redboxs' near me do not have ps4/Xb1 games, so I would try this EA service for a month when the games I wanted to play get on there.

I don't think you're getting fresh new title for free or rent when subscription. It will discount the price on new games with free old titles, and EA offers 2 hours limit for early access.

PS Plus for PS4 sucks ! there is no any big, valuable games so STFU Sony
I prefer to pay more 30-40$ for a plus membership like PS3

hohoXD123

Sounds like BS PR talk, if they had the consumer in mind they would at least offer the option. Wonder what the real reason is.

Cool I guess Microsoft will be allowing other companies to provide multiplayer gaming services competing with LIVE on Xbox for varying rates?

You know for consumer choice!

What if Activision decided to put Destiny and Call of Duty's multiplayer behind the subscription pay wall? And then EA did that as well? Do you really want to pay for all these separate subscriptions?

People think it's beyond the possibility of happening, but just watch.

That won't happen though. It's an impossible scenario.

My take on this:

This is PR Speak. If it were to sony they would have EA access, but either they were not offered or MS made a sweet deal to keep it exclusive.

Sony had nothing to lose by having this service, yet they have to play the abandoned boyfriend to keep face.

This is the whole sixaxis no rumble situation all over again.

Rurunaki

And that's bad because...?

Because I can't be bothered paying for PS+, EA+, Ubisoft+, Activision+, Live Gold, etc. Just to have a complete gaming experience.

And the thought of the eventuality that parts of the games will be hidden within the subscription is scary i.e. multiplayer play and exclusive content. Games are being butchered enough by retailers exclusive preorder content as it is.

Guymelef

out of that entire list the only thing that is pretty much manditory is PS+ (unless you do not want to play online) everythign else could be easily ignored if you were unhappy with the offering

And you will have a PS+ and Games With Live full of Sony/Microsoft and indie games only.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't think you're getting fresh new title for free. It will discount the price on new games with free old titles, and EA offers 2 hours limit for early access.
I know the new title wouldn't be on there for free.

Good enough for me for $7, that last thing I would want to do is waste more than that to try a game after BF4

Friction

It has the potential to derail PSNow if other publishers/developers decide to offer a similar service.

It also shows up the absurdity of the pricing on PSNow.

Sony looking out for theirs.

You're right. I take that back. The 10% discount prices might and better deals (compared to PSN+) will definitely take a bite out of SONY's digital sales. Does anyone know how much SONY's cut is for each digital sale?

And this will compete directly with PSNow if publishers provide a more compelling library and better subscription prices.

FleetFeet

I'm glad they've made this type of a response. It's good to know EA will be locked out from the largest install base this gen, at least I hope that will continue to be the case. No possible way this thing blows up being relegated to a user base almost half the size of ps4.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

But it would be very unlikely that games from those publishers would be featured as free titles or given discounts on PS+ after that point. Look at EA, obstinately keeping it's PC titles off of Steam, because it has Origin, and because it has games people want to play. It's devaluing the central service.

blazeuk

Sony want everything to go through them, I don't begrudge them that, it certainly makes sense from a financial point however they're not looking out for us here, they're looking out for themselves, their growing subscription service and their rental service. MS are better placed for it because their subscription service is more mature and they're not going to get huge numbers of new users signing up anymore.

I think it was always likely to be first on XBO anyway, Sony are slow enough fixing/adding important features to their software, it probably would have took a year or more before an EA subscription service could have been integrated into PSN even if they agreed to it.

Dunlop

Weird response from them

It's an optional service

based on the MS e-mail that was shown yesterday (it was a joint effort by their engineers) I'm pretty sure Sony wasn't invited to play and this is their way to spin it as if they wouldn't take it if offered

thekin

Banned
the+second+i+read+frogs+legs+_1fd50ba134536dad757400d0bf34f85e.gif

But Those PS Now Prices tho lol

yep came in here to say this, I can't believe they are saying this when the prices on psnow where so mind boggling,

Next week Psnow gets Subscription plan, Sony rep "This is the prefect value for the gamers has noting to do with EA"

iceatcs

Only one way to find out if EA puts out a statement saying they never offered it to Sony. That would be embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure they offer. Remember publishers need hardware maker allow it.

That's why EA and MS partnership for this service.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
EA short cutting ps+ and MS's equivalent service is bad for everyone. I'd rather not have a future with 10 different subscription services. A unified system allows for more variety at less cost.

Is rather the console manufacturer act as a conduit for the games.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
My take on this:

This is PR Speak. If it were to sony they would have EA access, but either they were not offered or MS made a sweet deal to keep it exclusive.

Sony had nothing to lose by having this service, yet they have to play the abandoned boyfriend to keep face.

This is the whole sixaxis no rumble situation all over again.

If this was the case then it sounds like they are lying and it was their decision to keep the service away from PS platform. And they cant lie like that.

Sorc3r3r

I see what they are trying to do here.
Open the door to something like that and your platform is at risk, you lose control and losing control means losing money, others may follow and from a position of strenght you find yourself having to bargain with other platform holder on your own platform.

But, i don't know if they can oppose to what i think will be the inevitable future of this industry.
Now they are leading and can afford in some way to protect their ecosystem, but things may change fast.

PJV3

Sounds good in theory.

Then in 2015 you have:

PS+ $5 a month

And so on.

Yeah, greed will screw us over in the end.

Sadly it will end up being a complete fuck up, I prefer to keep gaming as simple as possible. Sony haven't taken choice away with this decision, buy the Xbox and fill your boots.

NZerker12

I am okay with this, because at least this way there would only be one service to keep track of. As opposed to the many more there could potentially be from other publishers, if EA's one is successful. I could also understand where people are coming from when they would at least like the choice to choose for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom