• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradC00

is this really going to take off? I mean, didn't Call of Duty elite burn to the ground really fast? i don't really see this taking off. it's nice to have a choice I guess, but as someone who likes Titanfall, BF4, and Fifa, I don't really see any reason to grab this.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sony doesn't want competition for their own rental program. It's pretty transparent. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

It's a nice bit of PR they cooked up to cover their asses though.

Does the EA service have some sort of rental thing? I thought it was more akin to PS+ than PSnow.

sunnz

$5 for EA today, next we will see UBI doing the same, then 2k ect...

Then we will see DLC for games locked exclusively for people who have this subscription ( bye bye pre order incentive, hello subscription incentives, difference is you will be paying for the service and still probably pay for the DLC too)

Probably for the best.

But I can see how it can effect PS + too, which is why SONY probably dont want it too.

Sony doesn't want competition for their own rental program. It's pretty transparent. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

It's terrible PR.

The only world where it's good PR is if EA never offered it to Sony in the first place.

If anything could kill console gaming for me and turn me pro PC it's this. The Netflix 'House of Cards' syndrome. It'll only be a matter of time that the game you want to play is only available on it publishers subscription service. You'll be forced into subscribing to half a dozen services just to get access to every game you want.

Spades

is this really going to take off? I mean, didn't Call of Duty elite burn to the ground really fast? i don't really see this taking off. it's nice to have a choice I guess, but as someone who likes Titanfall, BF4, and Fifa, I don't really see any reason to grab this.

They've been running a similar subscription for years so I don't see why not. If the Season Ticket wasn't a success for them on last-gen then I don't see why they'd invest in this.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What is?
What is Netflix taking away from people who buy Blu-rays and DVDs?
More TV channels have their own distribution apps which is taking content from netflix and splitting it up. Right now a lot of those apps require you to have cable in the future they may each make you pay a fee a month.

Alternatively netflix keeps content but with increased pricing that is shifted off to the consumer.

I think it's short sited to look at the immediate value proposition. The impacts of such a model have huge implications on the video game industry. It's only a good deal until you get a replication of this model.

They've been running a similar service for people who want early access to their sports games for years.

This is what has been ignored.

it was the same price and only for sports titles having early access and Sony let it on PS3. If anything, its just a nice extension of that in terms of value

All owners of closed platforms are doing that all the time. It's not like the XBOX One is a free for all party console.

I understand that. Apple is notorious for not supporting services that directly compete with their own. However I still don't like the idea of Sony making that decision when they haven't discussed what their solution is otherwise. We know PS Now is there, but what can PS Now offer that will be if what, better than this that is why they came to this decision?

I have near zero interest for most of EA's software offerings but this another example why closed systems are bad for everyone. This is basically Sony defending their PS+ service in lieu of a third-party offering and being back to their old arrogant selves. Whether or not EA's service offered value, that shouldn't be up to them to decide, but then again, I doubt there's any merit behind that justification, I think it's just a PR lie.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

You are comparing apple and oranges. Wasn't COD Elite like Battlefield Premium. 50$ or something and you get all DLC for COD and BF games. This is nothing like that. I don't want to explain again, just read the service details.

Steroyd

Who says you have to subscribe to get a full gaming experience? How is just buying the games you want now impossible? Where was it even suggested parts of a game would be sectioned off for this subscription service? This is just hyperbolic fear mongering.

After the shit that happened last gen, the fear mongering isn't that hyperbolic.

jonnyp

Can't see why they'd pass on an optional subscription that provides a good value but eh.

I swear some companies have some real idiots making decisions. I'm not interested in the service personally but why on earth would they deny their customers an option like this?

Marcel

It's terrible PR.

The only world where it's good PR is if EA never offered it to Sony in the first place.

It's good if you don't think critically, which many don't. Playstation fanboys probably want to believe that Sony is protecting them and their 'value'.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
After the shit that happened last gen, the fear mongering isn't that hyperbolic.

and it's EA, releaser of Battlefield 4, dragon age 2 and mass effect 3

EDIT:
Dead space 3, Plants vs zombies 2, Sim City 2013 and Dungeon Keeper Mobile

Dunlop

Isn't psnow just older and last gen games? I haven't been following it add I have zero interest in paying to stream.

If not then there refusal to this makes more sense than the impact to ps+ which is essentially forced on you

Cool I guess Microsoft will be allowing other companies to provide multiplayer gaming services competing with LIVE on Xbox for varying rates?

You know for consumer choice!

Well not really becuase Live is mandatory so it is just an additonal service to your already mandatory one. Buying EA vault and not live will not allow you to suddenly play EA games online.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Isn't psnow just older and last gen games? I haven't been following it add I have zero interest in paying to stream.

If not then there refusal to this makes more sense than the impact to ps+ which is essentially forced on you

It's only ps3 games IIRC

jts

...hate me...
This.
When you have a single service outside PS+ or Games With Live for 5$ is cool.

But is a giant trojan horse, what if Activision wants his piece? Ubisoft? Take Two?
At the end of the day PS+ and Games With Live lost all its value.
So? That's competition for you. PS+ would have to lower its price or up its offer to justify its cost.

I understand that. Apple is notorious for not supporting services that directly compete with their own. However I still don't like the idea of Sony making that decision when they haven't discussed what their solution is otherwise. We know PS Now is there, but what can PS Now offer that will be if what, better than this that is why they came to this decision?

The EA Access program conflicts with the already existing PS+ service, with free games during the subcription, some percents off digital games and early access programs.

ps3ud0

Its just one of those things where its hard to know what youre missing out on unless you have all the details, like MS family sharing. Look forward to when EA provide such info and the schedule as its just so easy to ignore it based on EAs previous form...

If it meant the exclusion of EA games on PS+ then I wouldnt be that interested purely as I dont buy that many EA published games - also digital pricing just isnt tempting even with the discounting.

ps3ud0 8)

jesu

More TV channels have their own distribution apps which is taking content from netflix and splitting it up. Right now a lot of those apps require you to have cable in the future they may each make you pay a fee a month.

Alternatively netflix keeps content but with increased pricing that is shifted off to the consumer.

That doesn't relate to what I was originally quoting.
Multiple people are saying this Access thing is bad because EA might lock their online games behind it.

olimpia84

Why can't Sony come out and say they were not invited to the party? The way they worded that statement makes them sound like assholes not giving their consumer options. I for one would have subscribed to this EA plan in a heartbeat.

Hydrargyrus

I think I understand the Sony's statement. If EA is able to do that, nothing should stop Activision and Ubisoft to do the same, so PSN+ could be only for minor publisher games and indies...

... but there are only indy games now!!!!! So, what could it be worse?, only one indy game per month?.
I think I could live with that. Even more, I think I could live without PSN+ right now, because I don't play online and the "free" games (besides Resogun and Strider) really really sucks.

So, if I have to choose between the current PSN+ and the EA access, I would choose the EA service. At least the 4 games are better and 1 year is cheaper.

Btw, what are the PSN+ games of this month?, Flower (another PS3 game)??

It's good if you don't think critically, which many don't. Console fanboys probably want to believe that Sony is protecting them and their 'value'.

I can understand the rationale behind the value thing, but I'll laugh to my death if any corporation said they're doing it for my value.

It's obviously to protect Plus's value, not ours. If we end up benefitting from it, it's only because they protected their business first and foremost, and we end up benefitting as a side effect.

It's optional...I don't get their response at all. If people are willing to buy into the program, which judging by the reveal topic, are, then why not give your player base the option?

p3tran

Banned
what are you guys even talking about?

facts:
I have bought from ea in this new gen
battlefield 4 (+some dlc) , nfs rivals, peggle 2 (+2$ dlc :D), titanfall, tf season pass, garden warfare, fifa.
thats easily more than 250euros. and all but rivals where release day purchases.
just a 10% on that, practically pays the year itself.
I mean, its not like they're going to be pumping out less games now, is it?

then you got the vault, and you got the preview thing, and the dlc price cuts....

how does anybody try to see this wrong? I mean, see it wrong in the case he does play them games.... not see it wrong like...academically :D

JP

No issues with this although I can understand why some people may not like it. Can't help but feel that if this works out for EA and Microsoft that we'll see other companies getting involved with similar subscriptions game channels from Ubisoft, 2K, Crytek, etc, etc and it'll end up being paying to get access to loads of games that they end up not playing. Maybe it'll have become the standard way of doing things on the next round of consoles?

Baleoce

As soon as the consumers freedom of choice is put into question, I don't personally see that as a good sign, regardless of the situation. I'm not super into the idea of having lots of subscriptions, but people should have the choice of whether or not to use it. But.. it's a proprietary device in a closed ecosystem, so these things are gonna happen I guess. It's a competing service and no matter how they word it, it's obvious that's the main reason they don't want it on there. Not terribly good PR though.

RexNovis

Banned
It's anti-consumer in the short term. In the long term Sony (obviously) wants a unified service where customers pay once and get all the games from all the publishers (ideally). EA wants to have a split market where every publisher has their own money making service, like they did with Origin in the PC industry. You decide which of these two really sounds anti-consumer.

That didn't really occur to me bit it's an excellent point. Really hits my fears about this publisher based subscription model on the head. Well said.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You're paying for access to a digital library of content that you don't really own. It's basically renting.

But you can download that content to your console, just like PS+ and it's monthly games. PS Now is a streaming service.

We just ignoring the good games they make...

We're shedding light on the fact that they make a whole lot of scummy business decisions, and they've done so in very recent times.

No and that's the huge misconception with the service. It's a service that will be able to play all games via the cloud. It has been doc as this service they are offering just to play last gen titles when they have never even said that. However, I don't see how EA can't have cut a deal with Sony down the road to offer this, but seeing as EA wants more of the cut, they will not do it within PS now. It's like the Netflix and HBO, Showtime etc situation. They basically pulled their own shows to start their own sub services which you still need the approved ISP to watch.

BradC00

You are comparing apple and oranges. Wasn't COD Elite like Battlefield Premium. 50$ or something and you get all DLC for COD and BF games. This is nothing like that. I don't want to explain again, just read the service details.

ive read that. unless you are really into sports games, I don't see how there's any value. all the free sports games are going to be from last year, and noone buys those anyways. EA just doesn't put out enough quality content to justify spending $60 on a subscription.

and if they make this mandatory for online like people are scared of? lol, BF4 ain't that serious.

It's a trojan horse. EA can pretty much do whatever they want with their service. They are pretty much testing the waters on how far they can go with this "subscription service." It's not like they have a good track record with consumers. The eventuality that this online service evolves into a draconic form of drm is ever a reality.

Pretty much that, This is not just a nice little sales alternative, they want to get in under your skin, and they will lock more things behind it once it has a large enough userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom