• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friction

Sounds good in theory.

Then in 2015 you have:

PS+ $5 a month
Ubisoft Uberservice $6 a month
EA Access $9 a month (price rise)
EA Online Access $5 a month (online play for EA titles)
Activision COD Pass $10 a month
Activision Destiny Pass $12 a month
Activision Do we make other games? Probably Pass $7 a month
Square Us too Pass $40 a month, $20 extra for games.

And so on.

Personally I'm happy for it to be all under one umbrella, that you have to pay anyway to pay online. Otherwise things could get stupid very fast... and lets face it, with these companies involved you know that it will.

Buying a game a year from a specific publisher vs paying an annual subscription to a publisher for access to their digital library. Choices! More options is always good.

Spades

This sounds very much like they were not invited to the party. It's no different to them not allowing NowTV because that also requires a subscription that some might not see as "good value"?

I cannot see a single reason why EA Access not being on PS4 is a good thing.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My take on this:

This is PR Speak. If it were to sony they would have EA access, but either they were not offered or MS made a sweet deal to keep it exclusive.

Sony had nothing to lose by having this service, yet they have to play the abandoned boyfriend to keep face.

This is the whole sixaxis no rumble situation all over again.
Sony has a lot to lose. It's just like if every tv channel had it's own HBO go like service. This would cause netflix to lose content and devalue the service.

The same thing could happen to ps+ if Sony is no longer a conduit.

In general this piecemeal approach will likely have a big impact going forwards.

Sure choice is fine. I really hope EA's model doesn't become the norm.

Hellraider

Because I can't be bothered paying for PS+, EA+, Ubisoft+, Activision+, Live Gold, etc. Just to have a complete gaming experience.

And the thought of the eventuality that parts of the games will be hidden within the subscription is scary i.e. multiplayer play and exclusive content. Games are being butchered enough by retailers exclusive preorder content as it is.

Why would you need all these, aside PS+ which you need for online, to have a complete gaming experience?

Hidden costs can also apply to any form, retail, digital and subscription based. Subscription doesn't magically make things worse.

If this was the case then it sounds like they are lying and it was their decision to keep the service away from PS platform. And they cant lie like that.

They never explicitly stated they were actually offered participation.

"Evaluation" doesn't have to be direct engagement.

We'll know soon enough.

Spades

No, it isn't demo. you have to buy/pre-ordered this game to get early access

What? No you don't. Think of it like a pre-release rental for 5 days. If you want to keep the game, then you go buy it and all of your progress carries over. You get the pre-release version regardless of if you've pre-ordered or bought the full game (digital or physical).

Baleoce

I wonder if PS Now will "bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect" then.

Also, thanks for making the decision for me.

Why would you need all these, aside PS+ which you need for online, to have a complete gaming experience?

Hidden costs can also apply to any form, retail, digital and subscription based. Subscription doesn't magically make things worse.

Because it's hard to see this not going to a place where you can no longer play EA games without the service.

The service appears harmless, for now. It also won't be earning EA much money, which implies heavily that EA has an as-yet unrevealed end game.

Given just how behind the original Xbox One vision EA was, it's not surprising people don't trust that this end-game will be at all ok for users.

Saiyu

And sadly consumers are a stupid bunch, hence the reason we have to pay for online gaming. So yeah, I don't want the other idiot gamers ruining things for me by signing up for EA's service, thus opening the doors for Activision and others to start their own subscription services. No thanks.

So you want a company, not a government, charity or other non-profit organisation to make that choice on the consumers behalf?

A company is a business. They are not pro consumer they are pro themselves. Whether it's Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sony has a lot to lose. It's just like if every tv channel had it's own HBO go like service. This would cause netflix to lose content and devalue the service.

The same thing could happen to ps+ if Sony is no longer a conduit.

In general this piecemeal approach will likely have a big impact going forwards.

It's like microtransactions 2.0. You used to buy expansion packs that had a lot of content for a decent value, though it was a bigger price. Now you buy little pieces of content at cheaper prices per piece, but if you wanted to get the same amount of stuff that you'd get with an expansion, all those cheaper pieces add up and it costs you much more than before.

iceatcs

Keep away even more multi-subscription and future blockage.

Maybe I could see EA will start use this service only way to access EA online gaming. Therefore, in one day, you will need Xbox Live and EA subscription to access EA online.

Buying a game a year from a specific publisher vs paying an annual subscription to a publisher for access to their digital library. Choices! More options is always good.

And then you are paying $40 a month to play online games from three publishers...and you suddenly realise that more options is not the same as better options.

Steroyd

I'm sorry, but this is a load of bullshit. If they offered the service, they are not making you buy anything, it's an option.

So was horse armour and look at how that shitfest evolved.

I'm wary on this, I don't blame Sony sitting back and watching MS beta test this, and then jump in later, if consumer demand for it rises.

MThanded

Other publishers having their own service will surely limit content that can be on ps+ and XBL subscription.

Alternate exclusive markets have an impact on available goods.

I'm sorry, but this is a load of bullshit. If they offered the service, they are not making you buy anything, it's an option.
This is an extreme oversimplification of the possible impacts of this model.

supersaw

Except it looks like you don't get any of the DLC with that subscription so to get the full experience for Bf4 you would then have to pony up for the DLC / Premium at a 10% discount and maybe even the base game (correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I can ascertain from the EA Access landing page).

Jito

Banned
Because I can't be bothered paying for PS+, EA+, Ubisoft+, Activision+, Live Gold, etc. Just to have a complete gaming experience.

And the thought of the eventuality that parts of the games will be hidden within the subscription is scary i.e. multiplayer play and exclusive content. Games are being butchered enough by retailers exclusive preorder content as it is.

Who says you have to subscribe to get a full gaming experience? How is just buying the games you want now impossible? Where was it even suggested parts of a game would be sectioned off for this subscription service? This is just hyperbolic fear mongering.

MaulerX

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect"

That's a bit of a fucked up statement to make tbh. Sony has been on such a roll since the launch of the PS4, almost looking invincible, yet this statement is almost like them showing signs of having a crack in their armor.

If this was the case then it sounds like they are lying and it was their decision to keep the service away from PS platform. And they cant lie like that.

PR said that rumble was a last gen feature, implying that Sony didn't need it or want it.

Yet we have the dual shock 3.

For PR is only a lie if you get caught.

jesu

Great job Sony. Last thing we need is 10,000 subscriptions on top of subscriptions. What if EA, for example wanted to limit online access of some of their games to their exclusive service? So not only would you have to pay for PSN, but you would have to subscribe to their service as well. Imagine a ton of other developers following suit. No thanks.

Yeah good job Sony for stamping down on hypothetical situations.

Spades

I'll say again, you all realise that EA have been offering a similar service (albeit nowhere near as good value) on both Xbox 360 and PS3 for the last few years, right? This is nothing dramatically new.

It was good enough for Sony then - even though the value it offered was less than EA Access.

Squire

Banned
I don't want to pay three subscriptions anyway.

You wouldn't have to.

Some people seem to be coming at this from the angle that it's a paywall and it's not. It's a rather cheap subscription plan, a good option for consumers that Sony is not only blocking, but being catty about it, almost spitting in EAs face with that "bad value" crack, while they sing the praises of PS Now, a service tantamount to blind robbery.

So nobody would get mad if they were all supportive of it? I'm easy, I don't really care either way. I just meant to say if they had responded by being all supportive then some people would be mad about it.

Rurunaki

It's a trojan horse. EA can pretty much do whatever they want with their service. They are pretty much testing the waters on how far they can go with this "subscription service." It's not like they have a good track record with consumers. The eventuality that this online service evolves into a draconic form of drm is ever a reality.

yurinka

If Sony allows this, then every big company would make their own PS+, which would hurt PS+ content since it would be reduced to basically indies and Sony games.

Sony is smart protecting their PS+. It also does benefits users since reduces the amount of fees they should pay to enjoy the same content.

MThanded

Yeah good job Sony for stamping down on hypothetical situations.
You don't even have to talk hypotheticals. Just look at the netflix content analogy. It's already happening in that VOD space.
If Sony allows this, then every big company would make their own PS+, which would hurt PS+ content since it would be reduced to basically indies and Sony games.
This is precisely why MS allowed it. There subscription content is far weaker and this model allows them to move away from this.

Pretty understandable that Sony did that, that they do not want additional subscription programs disturbing and complicating things with their own service.

And since the EA Access program is so dumb, I'm grateful for them helping us stop it on at least one platform.

Hmmm.

On one hand, I don't think it's right for Sony to determine what games should want. That is making a decision for me otherwise that completely locks away and choice I may have. It is my money and I should pay for what I want with it.

One the other hand, I see that they don't like the idea if having to pay a subscription on top of a subscription for basically the same thing. The way I'm seeing it is, since PS+ is exactly the same thing, why would they not work with Sony in expanding the service within the membership instead of having a separate membership.

Overall, I think Sony should take a step back and see what it is that their fanbase does want instead of deciding that for them. However I don't necessarily wrong them for not liking the idea of selling a service on top of a service that can be meshed into what they are selling. Apple does the same thing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What a strange answer. Uncalled for actually. What would happen if companies would start commenting on all the exclusives of the others like that?

I understand that they might consider this as a competition of some sorts for the PS4 owners' money (and probably less money for Sony from this than from the individual games) but quite a strange reaction.

supersaw

Who says you have to subscribe to get a full gaming experience? How is just buying the games you want now impossible? Where was it even suggested parts of a game would be sectioned off for this subscription service?

Slippery slope argument based on what can be seen with retailer exclusive DLC or platform exclusives now there's yet another avenue to cordon off with exclusive swag. Want this gun for bf5? EA Access exclusive. They are already touting early access as part of this initiative so it's not that far-fetched.

Making an enemy out of EA is not a good idea.

Ubisoft:

ubisoft-sales-breakdown-656x278.png

EA needs PS4 and PS3. I highly doubt they would do anything to jeopardise such a large chunk of their business.

Does this EA service let you play online btw or do you need XBL and EAA to play those games online?

erawsd

This sounds very much like they were not invited to the party. It's no different to them not allowing NowTV because that also requires a subscription that some might not see as "good value"?

I can't see a single reason why you think EA wouldn't have offered this to the leading platform for both hardware and software? That would make no sense. Of course Sony was offered it.

I'm sure the PR part of this statement is why they turned it down. Its not because they didn't think it was a good value to us, its not a good value for them. This directly butts heads with PS+ and PSNow, especially since this could lead to even more developers wanting to offer their own subscription service. By shutting this down on the PS4, it means EA and others have some incentive to offer their games on Sony's services.

On one hand, I don't think it's right for Sony to determine what games should want. That is making a decision for me otherwise that completely locks away and choice I may have. It is my money and I should pay for what I want with it.

All owners of closed platforms are doing that all the time. It's not like the XBOX One is a free for all party console.

Myggen

Sony is smart protecting their PS+.

That's a bit of a 2+2=5 argument. I don't see that being an automatic thing at all.

Anyways, I'd rather get the option than for Sony to choose for me. But I wouldn't have subscribed to EA's thing anyway, so I don't have strong feelings about it either way.

Marcel

I do think it's cute that you all think Good Guy Sony is just looking out for you guys, though. <3

Sony doesn't want competition for their own rental program. It's pretty transparent. People who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

It's a nice bit of PR they cooked up to cover their asses though.

Spades

Slippery slope argument based on what can be seen with retailer exclusive DLC or platform exclusives now there's yet another avenue to cordon off with exclusive swag. Want this gun for bf5? EA Access exclusive. They are already touting early access as part of this initiative so it's not that far-fetched.

They've been running a similar service for people who want early access to their sports games for years.

jesu

You don't even have to talk hypotheticals. Just look at the netflix content analogy. It's already happening in that VOD space.

This is precisely why MS allowed it. There subscription content is far weaker and this model allows them to move away from this.

What is?
What is Netflix taking away from people who buy Blu-rays and DVDs?

We will have to wait until the service launches and has been available for a while before we know whether it's worthwhile or not and, by extension, whether Sony or Microsoft has the right of it.

You wouldn't have to.

Some people seem to be coming at this from the angle that it's a paywall and it's not. It's a rather cheap subscription plan, a good option for consumers that Sony is not only blocking, but being catty about it, almost spitting in EAs face with that "bad value" crack, while they sing the praises of PS Now, a service tantamount to blind robbery.

What's the blind robbery of PS Now? This makes no sense since we know nothing of how it works or the prices. I mean, how are people still making these BS statements.

FleetFeet

Horse armor was completely optional too, guys... now look how many games ship with DLC on the disc. Before they just made and sold games... now they make games to sell DLC.

yurinka

Yes, I think that in case of MS is positive, since you don't use to get there AAA games released a few months ago, so it makes sense to have there the 2 subscriptions providing different content for each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom