• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: Stick of Truth "Giggling Donkey" gameplay [7 minutes]

Valnen

Turn based combat is pretty terrible though. The advantage here is that many of the attacks and abilities are pretty funny in some way though, it helps erase a lot of the dullness and simplicity of turn based combat.
Turn based combat is one of my favorite types of RPG combat when done right. I never want to see that type of gameplay die out completely, it's nice to see a relatively big budget game have a turn based system. You don't really see it much outside of indie games and such these days.

People who say it's terrible, the jokes are bad or they didn't laugh do you actually watch or like the show itself?
If you don't like the humour of South Park it's clear you won't like this.

I think it looks amazing

Guess he was a big Chef's Luv Shack fan.

hey that was a cool game, the other one forget the name was terrible.

Anyway i hope there is a ps4 version, looks interesting. South park may get me to play an RPG, like the turn based aspect and the moves look interesting and being south park i may actual care to read into what everything means other than the basic attacks.

Fabrik

Banned
It's exactly like paper mario and that's what has me concerned a bit. I'm worried it'll be too easy and simple.

Does it? I didn't see that much button prompts. Do you have to press a button with a good timing to dodge an attack for instance?

Mondy

Banned
hey that was a cool game, the other one forget the name was terrible.

Anyway i hope there is a ps4 version, looks interesting. South park may get me to play an RPG, like the turn based aspect and the moves look interesting and being south park i may actual care to read into what everything means other than the basic attacks.

The three big ones were Chefs Luv Shack, South Park: The Game which was the one where you battled hordes of Turkeys and South Park Racing. The latter 2 were both terrible and Chefs Luv Shack was okay but a bit repetitive.

Does it? I didn't see that much button prompts. Do you have to press a button with a good timing to dodge an attack for instance?

Watch the video closely. You have to press a button at exactly the right time to achieve a perfect block/parry.

Gxgear

The licensed part of the game looks amazing, the actual gameplay portion looks like a flash game.

Really really hoping they don't mess this up. Because at this point in time, you'd have to be a pretty hardcore South Park fan to justify this at full price.

Zemm

Looks fucking amazing. Can't even remember the last time I saw a South Park episode, atleast 5 years, probably much longer, and will be buying this day 1. How could I not when it looks this good?

Looks good, I've really missed proper turn-based RPG combat this gen. However the UI is really ugly and uninspired, like cheap flash game. I suppose it does match the crude, low budget aesthetic of South Park's animation but it's still bad. A bunch of bland white boxes. It clashes with the rest of the art. Not a fan of the wheel menus during combat either. I'll play it eventually but it will have to wait. Q1 is already pretty crowded with RPGs.

Lain

Amazing.
Before watching, I was interested in the game, but more in a curiosity type of interest.
After this video, I want it.

Fabrik

Banned
Watch the video closely. You have to press a button at exactly the right time to achieve a perfect block/parry.

Cool! But it looks like the input are quite simple. I don't know this game seems like the perfect opportunity to mock video-game conventions, they could make even crazier stuff like summons necessitating to press 8 buttons at the same time ala Heavy Rain and so on.

Derrick01

Banned

Yup it uses the same system but there will be more RPG stuff on the side too. Like in that video you can see he's equipping weapons with elemental items.

kirblar

:lol

iUGPc9MaAG5Yu.gif
That was amazing.

Gxgear

This looks like it would be good for any RPG fan, not just South Park fans.

I'm not sure how you can say that with the footages available. The UI and combat looks barebones, and we haven't had any close look at customization - an integral part of any RPG.

Fabrik

Banned
Yup it uses the same system but there will be more RPG stuff on the side too. Like in that video you can see he's equipping weapons with elemental items.

Ok I watched the video again and I noticed this time the help text associated with every commands. It really is like Paper Mario. Pretty cool, I think they made the right decision. It's the more fitting for a game like this. I hope it gets even crazier later on. They can create whatever they want.

Jeels

I think the battles look awesome/hilarious. But the animations are so long I can see getting annoyed by them after the initial lulz wears off...

Astra

This game looks so fun. Damn the delay!

Wow, this game looks awful.

Also, totally unnecessary rape jokes.

Of course.

With all due respect cliche dissenting Gaffer, your opinion won't matter the month after next month.
(At least that's what it used to be!)
Not it's three months after the month after next.

valouris

This game looks amazing, it shows Matt and Trey are very involved. I am starting to think it will really shine in the story and dialogue department.

haikira

I agree with the combat music complaint. Other than that, I can not wait for this. Shame about the delay, but if it leads to a better game, ack well. It's not like there's a shortage of good games this year anyway.

DrZeus

Don't usually check for turn based RPGs, but as a long time South Park I may have to try this out. Looks pretty funny so far.

Top Bottom