• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man out of the MCU after Homecoming 2 - Amy Pascal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

I stop caring about Spiderman movies after homecoming 2.

You Marvel Studios fanboys are the worst. First, Homecoming hasn't even come out yet. It could suck. It could be great. We don't know yet. But making a statement like this before we even know what a Marvel Studio/Sony coproduction looks like is beyond silly. Secondly, Sony, completely independent of Marvel Studios, already made the best Spider-Man movie ever, so it's not like they can't handle the character on their own.

To be fair, this might just be corporate posturing. Sony ultimately controls the rights, so they may want to put themselves in a position to reap a greater portion of the rewards in a future deal with Disney/Marvel.

If they really think it's a good idea to bring Spidey back in house, well, good luck to them...

Malyse

I'm down for 2 great movies and Act 2 of Civil War.

Then Rothman and Ari Arad can nuke the franchise again with xVENOMx and Kamala Khan can take her rightful place as most popular character in the MCU.

MSMARV2014002_VAR.jpg

Damn straight. The time is right for a Ms. Marvel movie. Get Carol out of the way so we can get to the good stuff.

No, it's not. We get Spider-Man in the MCU for a handful of movies with fantastic crossover potential. That's a hell of a lot better than nothing at all because we know Marvel Studios would do it well.

I'm looking at it from a business perspective, not a fan's perspective. Horrible, one-sided deal that heavily benefited Sony. Not sure why Marvel/Disney signed it, to be honest.

Busty

Banned
The Spider-Man Homecoming sequel will probably be in 2020. I guess there's always a chance that Sony Pictures is sold off shortly after then :p

True.

The second I heard about this alleged separate Marvel cinematic universe within Sony consisting of Venom etc, etc I knew this was Rothman long term plan.

Have Fiege and Marvel relaunch Spider-Man with two MCU films and then, when they leave, with the third film Sony can simply fold Venom etc back into the Spider-Man franchise.

Now, there's no guarantee that any of it will work out that way but I can see the wheels turning in Sony HQ from here.

iFirez

If the spidey-verse that Sony are trying to kick start with Venom takes off I imagine they'll want a new Spider-Man to introduce into it. If not, I imagine they'd sign another lucrative deal with Disney and Marvel.

Secondly, Sony, completely independent of Marvel Studios, already made the best Spider-Man movie ever

Eh, the filmmakers made the best Spider-man movie ever, and when they tried to do the same thing again with 3, they fucked with the filmmakers' vision in true Sony fashion which led to a complete disaster.

I wouldn't give them the props, tbh.

Apt101

Not after they all see the money he won't be.

Haha, no shit. They'll either keep making money with the new fan favorite in a world full of colorful characters, or abandon it and destroy all their hard work as soon as they turn aside Marvel and Disney.

Sony's film division is pretty damn stupid, but I don't think they're that dumb.

Malyse

You Marvel Studios fanboys are the worst. First, Homecoming hasn't even come out yet. It could suck. It could be great. We don't know yet. But making a statement like this before we even know what a Marvel Studio/Sony coproduction looks like is beyond silly. Secondly, Sony, completely independent of Marvel Studios, already made the best Spider-Man movie ever, so it's not like they can't handle the character on their own.

r7YGb5Y.gif

Solo

Eh, the filmmakers made the best Spider-man movie ever, and when they tried to do the same thing again with 3, they fucked with the filmmakers' vision in true Sony fashion which led to a complete disaster.

I wouldn't give them the props, tbh.

That's my point though - it comes down to the talent assembled. It has nothing to do with what studio makes it (aside from said studio acquiring said talent, obviously). So when I (often) see this kind of "Marvel Studios or bust!" mentality, it makes me scratch my head. It's basically the movie version of console wars, which has never not been silly and immature.

The Kree

Banned
I'm looking at it from a business perspective, not a fan's perspective. Horrible, one-sided deal that heavily benefited Sony. Not sure why Marvel/Disney signed it, to be honest.

Spider-Man Merch >Ticket sales. Although, unless you own Disney stock and see it plummeting as a result of this statement I don't know why you'd give a shit about the business side. As a fan all that matters is that we got him along side the Avengers.

kswiston

True.

The second I heard about this alleged separate Marvel cinematic universe within Sony consisting of Venom etc, etc I knew this was Rothman long term plan.

Have Fiege and Marvel relaunch Spider-Man with two MCU films and then, when they leave, with the third film Sony can simply fold Venom etc back into the Spider-Man franchise.

Now, there's no guarantee that any of it will work out that way but I can see the wheels turning in Sony HQ from here.

I have no doubt that Sony is desperate for a stable blockbuster franchise that they could release annually.

That's my point though - it comes down to the talent assembled. It has nothing to do with what studio makes it (aside from said studio acquiring said talent, obviously). So when I (often) see this kind of "Marvel Studios or bust!" mentality, it makes me scratch my head. It's basically the movie version of console wars, which has never not been silly and immature.

That's true. You'll understand though that I just don't have the current faith to trust Sony when it comes to letting filmmakers achieve their vision, they interfere way too much like with Spider-man 3, and Rothman is a disease.

Maximus.

It's good for both parties. Marvel isn't tied down by a potential shitty Spider-Man and Sony isn't continuously benefitting a different company. I am sure if things go well, both parties will make new deals that they may both find mutually beneficial.

jurgen

Considering the MCU is probably going to fizzle out after Infinity War, I don't think it's that much of a surprise.

Anth0ny

just like when they said sony would have creative control over homecoming... i don't believe a word.

wait til homecoming is the highest grossing spidey film of all time. they're not going anywhere.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Aw, that's adorable, Sony thinks it's people.

This ridiculous attitude will last about as long as it takes the Venom solo movie to tank.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
This headline is trash. She clearly states "In fact, it may never happen again--after we do the sequel."

It may never happen again does not mean "SPIDER-MAN OUT OF THE MCU AFTER HOMECOMING 2".

This is going to spiral out of control.

Won't Marvel be rebooting/retooling after Phase 3?

no. i think they announced in 2015 that they have movies planned over the next 10 years.

and the doctor stranger from phase 3 is supposed to be important in phase 4. that wouldn't work if phase 4 would be a new phase 1.

kswiston

Does anyone have an idea if the Spider-man rights are transferrable if Sony Pictures folds (or more likely, is bought by a Chinese company)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom