• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man PS4 Web Swinging Has Been Improved Faster After E3 Feedback

lol, they said it was 'slow' because he wasnt at the fastest speed because they wanted to keep the camera aiming at the chopper at all times, that he could go faster than that already.

now they say this, so they were lying before or now. Probably now, just wanted to create some good PR based on nothing.

yeah you know insomniac, those chronic liars, lying all the time.

wait what?

eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

As far as the wall running goes, I like it. Though I also hope the crawling is present and satisfying, with a way to gain momentum with the webs when wanting to climb buildings faster. I wouldn't want him to go from crawling to straight up running at full speed. Crawling -> some sort of web pull -> wall running, would be the way to go.

I'm hoping there's a way to add some fancy stuff from a full on web swing too; Backflips, spins, some yahoo's would add to the whole experience of being Spider-Man.

On one hand, i applaud insomniac for listening to feedback.

on the other hand, i am not sure it's a good thing to kowtow and cater to every overreacting screaming fanboys' 'feedback'.

Seriously, everything nowadays is so overtop..

"OMG...The swinging in this Spider-man is trash level. This game gonna be trash! TRASH TIER CONFIRM!!!!"

Like calm down the fuck down a little and stop overreacting on everything.

akumu

As far as the wall running goes, I like it. Though I also hope the crawling is present and satisfying, with a way to gain momentum with the webs when wanting to climb buildings faster. I wouldn't want him to go from crawling to straight up running at full speed. Crawling -> some sort of web pull -> wall running, would be the way to go.

I'm hoping there's a way to add some fancy stuff from a full on web swing too; Backflips, spins, some yahoo's would add to the whole experience of being Spider-Man.

Like one of the Insomniac guys said at D23: they got this!

And I believe them. This feels like a game I can just kick back and wait for release, knowing it won't be any less than good. Especially in terms of gameplay mechanics.

lol, they said it was 'slow' because he wasnt at the fastest speed because they wanted to keep the camera aiming at the chopper at all times, that he could go faster than that already.

now they say this, so they were lying before or now. Probably now, just wanted to create some good PR based on nothing.

0Qz1Adf.jpg

on the other hand, i am not sure it's a good thing to kowtow and cater to every overreacting screaming fanboys' 'feedback'.

"OMG...The swinging in this Spider-man is trash level. This game gonna be trash! TRASH TIER CONFIRM!!!!"

Exaggeration and overreaction are both synonyms for what we call the internet :p

eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

Was the footage sped-up? Because if it has not been, then that is a remarkable improvement over the E3 demo...

Also, I would be ecstatic if they could add another animation when Spidey hits a wall. The running on the vertical surface is swell, but it would be son fun to have Peter crawl slowly at the touch of a button...

Halabane

Think they should have tried to get out by now and tied it to the movie. Movie was good and kind of scratched the spiderman itch. Kind of see now why they made the decision on the star wars battlefront release. Anyway wait to see the reviews.

eso76

eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

Swinging looks good.
The wall running OTOH...
I don't want wall running, I want free climbing. That would be a huge disappointment if they don't give me wall sticking and crawling anywhere ability.

(Still day 0)

This gif is bugging me. When he reaches the top of the building, he fires a web to the ledge behind him to propel himself forward.

What is physics?

He's attaching it the ledge at his feet so it swings him back around then letting go at the downward ark to go outwards. But it definitely isn't accurate.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This gif is bugging me. When he reaches the top of the building, he fires a web to the ledge behind him to propel himself forward.

What is physics?

He has a lot of upward momentum coming off the side of the building and he's shooting a web on the top of the building in front of him to swing off of and translate that momentum forward.

They aren't perfect physics but this is a Spider-Man video game. Come on.

Glass

Is momentum based speed confirmed? Love the idea of taking my time with some slow swings as well as the faster stuff.

And yeah I hope wall crawling is in there , maybe with jumps whilst crawling it doesn't have to be too much slower then running.

Razgreez

He has a lot of upward momentum coming off the side of the building and he's shooting a web on the top of the building in front of him to swing off of and translate that momentum forward.

They aren't perfect physics but this is a Spider-Man video game. Come on.

There's "not perfect physics" and then there's "this makes no sense at all". Unless he has a propulsion variant web cartridge this falls entirely in the latter category. I'm sure we all here just want the game to be the best it can but the current animations and lack of weight and momentum just dulls what looks to be an otherwise amazing package

Spiderman 2 web slinging does not cling to buildings all the time though there's been proof of that look it up
After a quick web search (pun not intended) I can't find any evidence of what you're saying. Do you have a source?

From my experience playing Spider-Man 2 in the past every single web attaches to a physical object. This is provable because you don't have to release a web after starting a swing. Spidey will just hang and move like a pendulum below the last point you attached to.

PSOreo

Sounds great, I do believe Insomniac when they say they are listening to feedback and improving the game. I hope it all pays off as I'm so excited to play this. When is it out again? I have 2017 in my head but I feel like it was delayed?

The fact that they couldn't see it for themselves doesn't fill me with hope.

See what for themselves?

"Even since E3 2017 which was a month ago, we’ve already improved our web swinging and it’s easier to gain speed now."

They haven't changed the swing speed. Web swinging in the E3 presentation was slowed down for demo purposes.

SJRB

Gold Member

What is physics?

If you're looking for accurate real world physics in a game like this you're gonna have a bad time.

Hopefully they're basing this on feedback from people who actually played the game at E3, not randos on internet forums like us losers.

irrc no one except IG played the game at E3. The behind closed door session was just a demonstration for people to watch

Speaking of...WHERE IS OUR ALTERNATE FOOTAGE

jsteve pls.

If you're looking for accurate real world physics in a game like this you're gonna have a bad time.

yah dude..i do not understand some people's push for accurate real world physical in a spider-man game. Those guys ever watch a spider-man movie, cartoon, comic, etc? Based on real-world physics, spidey will not be able to swing the way he did and will just fall to the ground.

EvB

Isn’t this exactly what happened with sunset overdrive.

However just like Sunset overdrive, I suspect they had already made the changes

BigEmil

Agree

Glass

Does a PS4 Pro push games to 60fps so long as it doesn't touch the resolution? Just imagining the swinging in silky smooth goodness.

Top Bottom