• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man PS4 Web Swinging Has Been Improved Faster After E3 Feedback

Damn, totally forgot that game, I see it at 26€ on Amazon now, maybe I will buy it, it feels really good just seeing gameplay.
If you are a fan of the anime/manga then you are gonna love the gameplay in this game. Using 3d maneuver gear to move around and fight titans, just feels right.

Damn like 30% of the screen is blocked by UI elements.
That game is like 50% HUD, I can't see shit.
I actually hadn't noticed that, but you are right. Most of those elements are necessary though. You would be lost without them.

Theecliff

Banned
Yeah I time-stamped it but you can manually forward the video to 23 seconds and you'll see it.
i'm not seeing the problem - the web attaches to the building to the left of him? and it doesn't seem like it fits gearfourth's description either, as it sounds like they're talking about central park.

and this isn't aimed at you in particular but that footage also demonstrates exactly why people are clamouring for a physics/momentum based swinging system.

people concerned about the physics in the new game aren't doing so because they're concerned about 'realism' - as spider-man 2 didn't have 'realistic' physics - but are concerned whether it nails the feeling of momentum in a way that no other spider-man game has seemingly nailed since spider-man 2. the fact that you had to pick a route that ensured your web had something to attach to, you had to judge how large of an arc you needed to swing and when to detach from it to gain speed, which side to fire your web from and how you would mix it up with the other movement mechanics such as wall crawling, running and swinging off of lampposts meant the game had some of the most engaging movement mechanics of any superhero game released - and largely because it adhered to basic physics stuff like anchor points and momentum.

that's why spider-man 2 is so well remembered despite it's mediocrity in other areas and that's why with literally every subsequent spider-man game one of the biggest concerns is whether they get the movement right the same way that treyarch did over 2 generations ago. it's not some concern over 'realism', it's about bettering or at least even matching some of the most satisfying superhero movement mechanics from a game that's now 13 years old.

Falchion

It's wild they've made gameplay tweaks based on audience feedback when no one outside the studio has played it yet. I'm very excited for this.

i assumed the slow speed was due to the helicopter chase sequence. like they didn't want to overshoot the helicopter during the demo

eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

This looks absolutely amazing. Much better than what we saw at E3.

Plasma

Banned
I have faith that Insomniac can take on feedback and implement it without going overboard and changing everything that people complain about on the internet. They did something similar for Sunset Overdrive, when it was first shown people said the rail grinding was too slow so they added in a boost button to make traversal across the city quicker but kept the grind speed the same so that the combat still felt good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WpzS4Vp4hc

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have faith that Insomniac can take on feedback and implement it without going overboard and changing everything that people complain about on the internet. They did something similar for Sunset Overdrive, when it was first shown people said the rail grinding was too slow so they added in a boost button to make traversal across the city quicker but kept the grind speed the same so that the combat still felt good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WpzS4Vp4hc

oh wow, i had no idea they added that so late. i can't even imagine the traversal in SO without that boost

Top Bottom