• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man PS4 Web Swinging Has Been Improved Faster After E3 Feedback

SomTervo

It's very likely that, like in the other games, when he hits the wall he's holding a 'sprint' button or some such to run up it.

Of course the game is going to include the ability to climb everywhere. That's like arguably spidey's biggest power.

eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

The transition from going straight at the wall from 90 degs to running straight up it is weird af, but aside from that looks amazing.

Endo Punk

My 2 year old nephew loves Spiderman so that pretty much cements my purchase. Don't let me down Insomniac, I don't care about the spectacle but the moment to moment gameplay needs to deliver the same way the Arkham games and Second Son do so incredibly well.

_Rob_

The transition from going straight at the wall from 90 degs to running straight up it is weird af, but aside from that looks amazing.

Yeah, it appears they haven't polished up the animation blending tweens yet; notice the snap as he transitions from leaping over the building to the sort of mid-air crouch pose?

BigEmil

Gaf wants to ruin playability and fun, momentum factor just for their boring 'realism' lol it's a video game and a superhero one at that get your realism out of this..

After a quick web search (pun not intended) I can't find any evidence of what you're saying. Do you have a source?

From my experience playing Spider-Man 2 in the past every single web attaches to a physical object. This is provable because you don't have to release a web after starting a swing. Spidey will just hang and move like a pendulum below the last point you attached to.
It was shown when you go to this park but it's not really clinged to a building forgot the name of the location of that part in Spidey 2 if you know the name of it can maybe find it with the web slinging

Does a PS4 Pro push games to 60fps so long as it doesn't touch the resolution? Just imagining the swinging in silky smooth goodness.

No. Web swinging will look great even at 30fps because IG is using what might possibly be the best per object motion blur ever seen in a game.

Whilst I appreciate Insomniac for trying to listen to the fanbase, I'm not really comfortable with the internet full of armchair game designers having too much input into the design of this game.

I trust Insomniac far more than some random on the internet. And I've seen what happens when devs sacrifice their common sense and let the "community" design the game for them... *cough* Elite: Dangerous *cough*....

Yep... it's shit.

tzare

I think the speeds fine, what they need to fix is the camera work. Some zoom and shake during the swings would make it seem faster and weightier. Maybe show more wind effects too.

Speed doesn't seem fine to me. I am sure spdey running on the ground will be slower than this. I get this is fiction but feels too much accelerated and 'unreal'.
He seems to run 100m in 2 seconds c'mon. He ain't Flash.

Loudninja

Gaf wants to ruin playability and fun, momentum factor just for their boring 'realism' lol it's a video game and a superhero one at that get your realism out of this..

It was shown when you go to this park but it's not really clinged to a building forgot the name of the location of that part in Spidey 2 if you know the name of it can maybe find it with the web slinging
Yeah I really dont get this why would anyone want him to be slower running up a wall after swinging.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
youll be doing a bunch of running up buildings youll be glad that he gets up them fast a good 80%-90% of these games is swinging through the city and running up walls you dont want to be walking up every building you swing into

TimFL

I'm not worried about speed, TASM2 and co allowed you to go pretty fast after all, I'm worried about momentum. I want to slingshot off a rooftop (or dive down a skyscraper) and use that build up momentum for the next webswing instead of being slowed down.
I hope that's in the game.

SomTervo

Speed doesn't seem fine to me. I am sure spdey running on the ground will be slower than this. I get this is fiction but feels too much accelerated and 'unreal'.
He seems to run 100m in 2 seconds c'mon. He ain't Flash.

Spider-man is insanely strong and can run insanely fast. He absolutely can move that fast. Not Flash but very fast. Flash would do 100m in 0.001 seconds.

This gif is bugging me. When he reaches the top of the building, he fires a web to the ledge behind him to propel himself forward.

What is physics?

I think the idea is he jumps away from the building (towards the camera) and then the web hook swings him around - but the animation is obviously unfinished, it's definitely weird.

That said, it looks like an amazing movement mechanic, this 'swing around buildings' thing.

Remembering all the times I ran up off the edge of a building in the earlier games and was left awkwardly flailing around in mid air for a couple of seconds. This totally sidesteps that.

Don't normally buy into superhero games etc. but this looks amazing.

Not even the Batman: Arkham ones? Or the early, great Spiderman ones? Or Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Or Prototype? Or Infamous?

Seriously. Good superhero games exist nowadays.

Yeah, it appears they haven't polished up the animation blending tweens yet; notice the snap as he transitions from leaping over the building to the sort of mid-air crouch pose?

Yeah, noticed that too. There are about three weird transitions/movements in as many seconds.

Plenty of time left to fix.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Useless info without a video comparison

Yes, it's completely useless information that the web slinging is faster. /s
Video would be nice but it isn't necessary.

lol, they said it was 'slow' because he wasnt at the fastest speed because they wanted to keep the camera aiming at the chopper at all times, that he could go faster than that already.

now they say this, so they were lying before or now. Probably now, just wanted to create some good PR based on nothing.

Their previous statement about it being skill based and that they could have gone faster in the demo, doesn't contradict this information, lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yes, it's completely useless information that the web slinging is faster. Video would be nice but it isn't necessary.

That gif I posted on the first page is from a few days ago from D23. Its the newest footage we have of web slinging though not sure if its the "updated" webs slinging.

tzare

Spider-man is insanely strong and can run insanely fast. He absolutely can move that fast. Not Flash but very fast. Flash would do 100m in 0.001 seconds.

I think the idea is he jumps away from the building (towards the camera) and then the web hook swings him around - but the animation is obviously unfinished, it's definitely weird.

That said, it looks like an amazing movement mechanic, this 'swing around buildings' thing.

Remembering all the times I ran up off the edge of a building in the earlier games and was left awkwardly flailing around in mid air for a couple of seconds. This totally sidesteps that.

Not even the Batman: Arkham ones? Or the early, great Spiderman ones? Or Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Or Prototype? Or Infamous?

Yeah, noticed that too. There are about three weird transitions/movements in as many seconds.

Plenty of time left to fix.
yes i get he is strong and faster, but not like this. But no expert here, just from what seen on films, comics and previous games.
We can see how fast he can run flat vs how fast can he run climbing (i also miss him climbing with both hands and feet glued to the buildings)

I presume you mean Central Park, where it's just trees and no buildings? That area required a very different style of swinging because your webs were much shorter. It's possible that they would have cheated a bit there and added invisible physics markers to attach to above each tree, but I'm sure it would have approximated to where the top of each tree is located. I'd need to dust off my PS2 out of the loft to experiment, but I'm still holding out for a PS2 classic re-release on PS4...

Theecliff

Banned

skill based movement that uses momentum doesn't have to be 'realistic' and can be demonstrably fun and satisfying - the physics based web swinging system in the spider-man 2 game is literally the main reason it's still so well liked.

and are you sure you're not thinking of the amazing spider-man 2 game?

Bunga

Tell a lie, I did play every single Arkham game haha. For some reason, I just didn't even think of those...

skill based movement that uses momentum doesn't have to be 'realistic' and can be demonstrably fun and satisfying - the physics based web swinging system in the spider-man 2 game is literally the main reason it's still so well liked.

and are you sure you're not thinking of the amazing spider-man 2 game?

I think GearFourth is right.

Check this out

killroy87

I think GearFourth is right.

Check this out
Oh man, watching that video brought me back. Sometimes you think you're looking back on a game with rose tinted glasses, and cutting it too much slack, but the swinging in that game really was perfect. The physics and momentum of falling for a bit, and shooting a web as you hit Max speed just looks soooooo good.

I have very high hopes for this game. I'll be crushed if it doesn't deliver.

dukgzpyzn24z.jpg

Direct link:

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/...17/06/18/spider-man-ps4-a-peter-parker-story/

There was a thread about it the day after the game was shown last E3.

edit. lol this is probably my most quoted post ever. Calm down guys.

This is actually contradicting your comment that they said it's slow. No where does it say it's slow here. They only said that you can swing at a faster rate than they did. They kept it slow to keep the copter in view. And they updated the swinger so you can get up to speed faster, not make the swinging faster. You are going out of your way to be negative.

Not directed at you but I find it funny and ironic when people complain about the physics in a gamer where you are swinging around the city, running up walls chasing helicopters.

Razgreez

Not directed at you but I find it funny and ironic when people complain about the physics in a gamer where you are swinging around the city, running up walls chasing helicopters.

Many people find it "funny". Why have physics in the game right. Obviously don't need it at all.

Games should clearly just be the same as they were 10yrs ago with better graphics.

I guess some just don't understand the impact increased graphical fidelity has on characters. As the characters become more realistic and complex so does the physics based systems that support them else the result is quite jarring.

You might say "ah well look at the crash ramaster" but they didn't make crash more realistic now did they. Look at crackdown 3 in contrast.

The finer details make all the difference

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
eh8HEAJ.gif

from the D23 footage

It needs a few more frames of animation at the point he's connecting to the building but looks fantastic. It's good they're speeding up general traversal and stuff. That's the bane of most open world games for me.

Really looking forward to this game.

HStallion

The Spider-Man game will most likely not be out for another year, perhaps even longer which is a huge amount of time to work on things like animation transitions, cleaning up the animations overall, and smoothing things out. Not only that but with that much time its not like they won't adjust things like speed as they fine tune the systems. If the game was coming out next month I think some people's concerns would be a bit more valid but its a long time till this game releases and I'm sure a lot of changes, big and small, will occur through out the game and not just on web slinging.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
But nobody played it at E3(not playable right?), so they made a major game design change based on some internet complaints from a manufactured demonstration video? A complaint many of us never heard was a thing until now?

bombshell

The Spider-Man game will most likely not be out for another year, perhaps even longer which is a huge amount of time to work on things like animation transitions, cleaning up the animations overall, and smoothing things out. Not only that but with that much time its not like they won't adjust things like speed as they fine tune the systems. If the game was coming out next month I think some people's concerns would be a bit more valid but its a long time till this game releases and I'm sure a lot of changes, big and small, will occur through out the game and not just on web slinging.

It's planned to be out first half 2018 according to Shawn Layden's comments about the 2018 dated Sony games from E3. It would fit well in May with the new Avengers movie.

where's the part where the web doesn't attach to something?

if you've put a timestamp in i apologise, i'm on the mobile site right now and timestamps don't seem to work properly

Yeah I time-stamped it but you can manually forward the video to 23 seconds and you'll see it.

HStallion

It's planned to be out first half 2018 according to Shawn Layden's comments about the 2018 dated Sony games from E3. It would fit well in May with the new Avengers movie.

That is still nearly a year of time though which is a lot of time to clean things up and fine tune the systems.

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Spiderman 2 web swinging give the player the ability to boost the swing with a button press?

I think they should keep the speed from the E3 demo and just add a boost mechanic.

What types of things from previous games other than Spider-Man 2 swinging do you guys want in this game?

I want the charge jump from Spider-Man 2 and the sprint button. Also would be awesome if you have the ability to wall bounce like in web of shadows, holding down the jump button allowed Peter to cling to wall and then on release launch Spider-Man off.

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Spiderman 2 web swinging give the player the ability to boost the swing with a button press?

I think they should keep the speed from the E3 demo and just add a boost mechanic.

Yeah it did, I think most Spider-Man games since then have kept the boost in, I would think it will be in this one.

What types of things from previous games other than Spider-Man 2 swinging do you guys want in this game?

I want the charge jump from Spider-Man 2 and the sprint button. Also would be awesome if you have the ability to wall bounce like in web of shadows, holding down the jump button allowed Peter to cling to wall and then on release launch Spider-Man off.

Unlockable air tricks like in Spiderman 2

I wanna see some more gadgets I'm really interested in this tech savvy spidey the movie and game seem to be going for. Is their a comic this is based off starting to get mad interested in spiderman

Top Bottom