• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK128

From Geoff's stream

- Biggest team Insomniac has ever had working on a game
- Most ambitious Marvel game ever made
- It's been in development for "quite some time"
- It's not connected at all with the upcoming movie
- Open world
- It'll focus on both Peter Parker and Spider-man
- PS4 exclusive and published by SIE
- They aren't ready to talk about any release timeframe

You know what? I was excited the moment 'Insomniac Games' was shown in the trailer but this has my hype for the game being really damn high. Looking forward to this game a lot and with the studios past titles, I having nothing but excitement for Insomniac's take on the iconic wall-crawler :).

icespide

Banned
If it became Marvel's "Arkham" series that would be huge for Sony. and it might be a deal like letting them use more characters in return of releasing on other consoles with future games even if its a timed exclusive.
I'm pretty sure Sony is just licensing spider-man from Disney for this game. I don't think the movie deal has much to do with it other than improving their relationship

ZeroX03

Banned
can someone please update the thread title with a hyphen? :(

Can someone please update the thread title with a hashtag?

pQYfBC5.png

Hard to say, but i'm going to imagine that the videogame publishing rights were sold to Sony as a part of the deal with Marvel to get Spider-man into the MCU, since they're the ones publishing this & not Activision. Having said that, its hard to imagine that if this game is successful, that Marvel would mess with this arrangement, as who knows how long Sony owns the publishing rights to Spider-Man.

So yeah, until something comes up, its best to assume we won't be seeing a full console Spider-man game like this anywhere else.

Not a chance Disney sold the rights to Sony. This is a licensing deal.

Why Disney/Marvel chose to license it to Sony (and apparently other games) and not to a 3rd party publisher remains to be seen. I have my theories as to why, but that's neither here nor there.

That is my thinking too. Sony gets a box office smash without any hard work. And they get an exclusive ps4 title and hand it to THE best developer for the job.

Sounds to me like Disney giving up too much on a one sided deal where Sony greatly benefits during a time where they were completely botching and fucking up spiderman movies. Very un-Disney like deal if that's all there was to it, but there are probably things behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

I pretty sure Sony is just licensing spider-man from Disney for this game. I don't think the movie deal has much to do with it other than improving their relationship

I think this is tied to the movie deal. Or Sony paid a good amount of money.

RK128

It's interesting, isn't it?

Is this a hint toward something ;)? Considering the Symbote has the White spider logo, I could see it having some role in the future......

Either way, I am super excited about your studios new project and keep up the amazing work :D!

DZ_b_EZ

Watch. Insomniac will be to Spiderman just like how Rocksteady is to Batman.

Its amazing for me because they are both my favorite superheroes ever since I was a child watching the animated cartoons in the early 90s.

lupinko

They can't do Deadpool, Marvel banned him from appearing in post-Contest of Champions games.

I'm sure once Fox and Marvel kiss and make up, all this crazy talk will be out the window.

You can't ignore a $800 million dollar property like Deadpool and they will find another way around Ike Perlmutter. Kinberg and Miller are already making bridges. Anyway this is about gaming and not Marvel overall business drama.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This looks really, really great. Insomniac is a great fit for this character. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

JTripper

I'm so happy. spidey finally gets his arkham

Every time I read or hear this sentence in any variation, it makes me happier and happier.

Hoping for gameplay by PSX in December. Releasing soon after the movie, despite having no ties to it, would make sense too if Sony plans on having it out by the end of 2017. I'm willing to wait as long as possible for the perfect Spider-Man game though, so please Insomniac, take your time.

Neoxon

I'm sure once Fox and Marvel kiss and make up, all this crazy talk will be out the window.

You can't ignore a $800 million dollar property like Deadpool and they will find another way around Ike Perlmutter. Kinberg and Miller are already making bridges. Anyway this is about gaming and not Marvel overall business drama.
I hope so as well, but that day has yet to come. We have to deal with the reality of the situation right now, & that's a reality without Deadpool (or any Fox character) in new games. But on the bright side, we now live in a reality where the characters that Marvel is allowing in games can get the treatment they deserve.

DZ_b_EZ

Also, I hope they only make like two Spiderman games and then make the reboot to the game we all have been waiting for.....

latest

ZeroX03

Banned
Calling it Spidey's Arkham sounds weird to me. I get why, I just don't think it has expectations along those lines as a Sony exclusive. Also it's not Spidey's first great game, just his first in over a decade lol.

Neoxon

As stated earlier, all we need now is for MvC4 to happen. But given the ban, maybe Capcom should wait it out until Marvel & Fox to kiss & make up.

Blues1990

wow...forgot how amazing the traveling in Sunset was...Insomniac is going to nail this!

While there was a bit of a hurdle to master the controls, Sunset Overdrive was a blast from beginning to end with it's level of traversity, as getting to an objective was never a bore.

If they can handle the intricacies of Spider-Man's maneuverability, then I'm sold.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Your blasphemy has been noted. Stan Lee will now leave coal in your comic book plastic cover

Yeah, I dont care. Its mega mega mega ugly. And I dont understand why Insomniac needs to use something shitty original, when Spider-Man has tons of great alternative costumes.

The white Spider is so mega ugly, I hope there is a option to change the costume. Man.

JTripper

Yeah, I dont care. Its mega mega mega ugly. And I dont understand why Insomniac needs to use something shitty original, when Spider-Man has tons of great alternative costumes.

The white Spider is so mega ugly, I hope there is a option to change the costume. Man.

It would be a pretty severe oversight in my eyes if they didn't allow for alternate costumes. I wouldn't be too worried. We can look forward to getting that Tom Holland Spidey costume as a pre-order!

prwxv3

Why Disney/Marvel chose to license it to Sony (and apparently other games) and not to a 3rd party publisher remains to be seen. I have my theories as to why, but that's neither here nor there.

Sounds to me like Disney giving up too much on a one sided deal where Sony greatly benefits during a time where they were completely botching and fucking up spiderman movies. Very un-Disney like deal if that's all there was to it, but there are probably things behind the scenes that we don't know about yet.

I think it makes perfect sense. Recent Spider-Man games have not been either critical or sales successes. They just brought back Spider-Man and bad Spider-Man games would not be good for his revival. Sony unlike Activision will give the game a nice budget (only one platform also helps this) and will most likely be better then any of those recent Spider-Man games. The high install base on the ps4 will help sales potential.

Vinland

Banned

Why do you say this? the customer pool is still very high on PS4 despite not having MS. Marvel gets Spidey and 100% creative decision making on the movies Sony will only be distributing. Make no mistake... The Spider-Man movie is 100% Marvel story telling. He was arguably the best part of Civil War. His rouges gallery, second only to Batmans, is now available to MCU for villain additions which has been MCUs weakest aspect.

They all win but Marvel were incredibly smart. It would be naive, borderlining on me saying you have brain damage, to even suggest a marvel didn't get the best end of the deal. I got 1.14billion reasons to be that smug.

N.Domixis

Banned

They are getting more than just exclusive spiderman?

Maengun1

Day friggin' 1! This looks incredible.

I used to play Spider-Man 2 for PS2 and would just spend hours slinging around the city 'cause it felt so good. Never beat the missions. If this can recreate that feeling...

tribal24

Banned
As stated earlier, all we need now is for MvC4 to happen. But given the ban, maybe Capcom should wait it out until Marvel & Fox to kiss & make up.

I feel like this is how MVC 4 is going to happen this game becomes big, then Sony will lock them in another doing with Capcom.

Pandy

The trailer looks so good I'm having trouble believing there aren't smoke and mirrors of some sort being used.

Cynacism aside, this was the best announcement trailer I've seen this E3.

Ristifer

Day friggin' 1! This looks incredible.

I used to play Spider-Man 2 for PS2 and would just spend hours slinging around the city 'cause it felt so good. Never beat the missions. If this can recreate that feeling...
I still do this with Spider-Man 2. I can't get enough of the slinging in that game. If this game has a similar, or better feeling, then I'll be one jolly mofo.

If it became Marvel's "Arkham" series that would be huge for Sony. and it might be a deal like letting them use more characters in return of releasing on other consoles with future games even if its a timed exclusive.

Hard to say. I just don't see why Sony would want to publish on other consoles. They've never done that before.

As for characters to be used - its not based on the movie (as confirmed a few times already), and it seems to be following their own hand crafted path & story, so it could just mean they have full access to the Spidey rogue's gallery (which is pretty damn extensive). Maybe if we're talking Marvel characters outside of the Spidey-verse, but at that point, whose to say Marvel wouldn't just let Sony use them for a Spider-Man game they are solely publishing & funding? Sony having publishing rights on a game like this (full fledged Spider-Man game) means there is just no reason to expect this to be published anywhere else.

Do keep in mind - Disney & Sony have a very, VERY friendly relationship with one another. Its one of the reasons why the MCU deal was done in the first place. Its why Sony will likely be getting marketing deals on Star Wars games from every source it comes (noticed the Lego game during the conference?) from now until Sony either steps out of the game-making business.

Theoretically, if a sequel to this game were to be made & to be multi-plat, then the publishing rights to this series would have to go to another publisher in such a case. Since Disney is no longer in the game's publishing business, and instead are licensing out their IP for games, I just don't know who would pick this up & try & sell the sequel to audiences that won't/can't have access to the original

psyfi

Banned
just watched the trailer and THIS LOOKS SO DOPE

but why does fabric over his eyes expand and contract? that don't make any sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom