• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
jstevenson if you're reading this please please, you and the team, focus on the web-slinging. It's been so long since SM2.

Yes, please hire the dude who did the swinging mechanics from Spider-Man 2. I would give additional money.

And dont be to angry about my comments about the costume, I am just a litte bit eh while beeing fucking excited :D

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
first I was like:

gMr3Rva.gif

Then I ended up like:

old-man-crying.gif

Neoxon

just watched the trailer and THIS LOOKS SO DOPE

but why does fabric over his eyes expand and contract? that don't make any sense
They took a cue from MCU Spider-Man. To quote Peter from Civil War, his Spider-Sense dialed his senses up to 11, so the expanding/contracting lenses help him focus. It also helps Peter emote with the mask on.

jstevenson, it might be too early to ask this, but will there be anything like the ratchet gold bolts that would unlock skins or other things? I want to play as spidergwen!

Poona

Yeah, really looking forward to this.

Hopefully it works out well as before Batman: Arkham Asylum there wasn't a lot of confidence in games like this. So it would be great to see Spiderman show that he can have great fun games too.

So was this game something Sony started, or did Marvel want to make it first and gave publishing rights to Sony?

Im curious if this could have existed without Sony. Was it bound to exist anyway?

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
They took a cue from MCU Spider-Man. To quote Peter from Civil War, his Spider-Sense dialed his senses up to 11, so the expanding/contracting lenses help him focus. It also helps Peter emote with the mask on.
No they didn't lol. Comic Spiderman has always done that with his costume as well.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I feel that this might be the most important comic book game to date. If this is successful and at the quality Insomniac is know for, I might just want Disney to hand the reigns of Marvel games to Sony. Then let their developers do whatever they want with the licenses.

Neoxon

No they didn't lol. Comic Spiderman has always done that with his costume as well.
I meant in a more realistic sense. It helps bring MCU Peter more in line with the comics. In here, it's just a nice detail that lines up with the MCU & adds some subtle complexity to the suit.

So was this game something Sony started, or did Marvel want to make it first and gave publishing rights to Sony?

Im curious if this could have existed without Sony. Was it bound to exist anyway?

Marvel has been trying to get back into the blockbuster games business for a while but said they were looking for the right opportunity. The head of Marvel Games just seems to like the way Sony works with third parties and thought it was a good match. It would have happened with someone else but they specifically picked Sony, and the opportunity was extended to Insomniac.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I meant in a more realistic sense. It helps bring MCU Peter more in line with the comics. In here, it's just a nice detail that lines up with the MCU & adds some subtle complexity to the suit.
They didn't do it to line up with MCU lol. It's just a signature Spiderman thing.

I have looked at this trailer so many times already .
So fucking happy that spidey is in good hands and we going to get a good game after all these years .

I don't think the story of how Sony wound up with publishing rights for a Spider-Man game will ever be fully told. Logical reasoning seems to dictate that this occurred as part of the negotiation between Sony & Marvel for the sharing of Spider-Man film rights to Marvel & the MCU.

Remember, prior to this, Activision had the rights to publish Spider-Man games, which they exercised almost annually until 2012 with 'The Amazing Spider-Man' film/game tie in that Activision/Beenox did. After that movie releasing is when talks between Marvel & Sony started for the transfer film rights transfer to the MCU. It's not hard to imagine that Sony negotiated for these rights during that time, seeing as how they were going to lose a good portion of the rights to merch. sales in that transfer.

Neoxon

They didn't do it to line up with MCU lol. It's just a signature Spiderman thing.
The telescopic eyes? The comics just had his eyes grow bigger & shrink as a means to emote (we didn't question it because comics).

I feel that this might be the most important comic book game to date. If this is successful and at the quality Insomniac is know for, I might just want Disney to hand the reigns of Marvel games to Sony. Then let their developers do whatever they want with the licenses.
Yeah, no thanks. I actually want there to be a chance for MvC4 to happen in the near future. But given the whole Fox ban, I don't think Marvel would give the keys to the whole kingdom to anyone in fear that they may include characters that Marvel doesn't want them to include (Ex: Wolverine or Deadpool).

Game of the show for me.

I was worried that it would be heavily stylized, which I do enjoy for some games, but I wanted a more realistic looking open-world Spidey, and Insomniac nailed it. The swinging looks great too.

Jumplion

Literally when my friend and I heard the the opening narration, he joked that it was Spiderman. Then, whoa, hey, it's Spiderman.

If there's any developer I trust to make a good Spiderman game it's Insomniac.

So glad Activision no longer has the rights for Spiderman. Even Acti admitted they didn't care for it.
Well the Amazing Spiderman games are, like the films, some of the most low-effort, "what's the point?" Tie ins ever produced. Theyre not even awful, just so so bland and mass produced.

Wait does this mean we'll be waiting a while for Ratchet and Clank 2?

Marvel has been trying to get back into the blockbuster games business for a while but said they were looking for the right opportunity. The head of Marvel Games just seems to like the way Sony works with third parties and thought it was a good match. It would have happened with someone else but they specifically picked Sony, and the opportunity was extended to Insomniac.

I see. I ask because people on reddit are pretty upset with the exclusivity as an anti-consumer practice, so I was curious how this deal came about.

Monocle

Dear Marvel, please give Deadpool, Spider-Gwen or Gwenpool or all three to Platinum Games!

Spidey with Insomniac is an awesome start to finally having good games made by devs not called Capcom.
All of this!

I'm so happy

after what platinum did with TMNT? no thanks
Did you put a moment's thought into this post? Even half a second? Since when is an underfunded game with a short dev time representative of the quality Platinum is known for?

"TMNT sucks so Platinum sucks!"

Weak. Guess you haven't played Metal Gear Rising or Transformers Devastation, both exceptional licensed games that do justice to their properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom