• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess this game was erected way before Spiderman MCU deals fell through. Because it's such a huge waste of opportunity not to have a Marvel game that looks this good to be in MCU.
I'm confused. You know that the deals didn't fall through, and that Spider-man is in the MCU, right?

I doubt they'd ever have a game that takes place in the MCU. It would have the same issue that Agents of SHIELD has had: they wouldn't have access to all the biggest characters because they'd rather save those characters for the movies.

what? that doesn't make sense. they can easily write some random game plot for the mcu characters. not everything has to be canon. canon is overrated.

really though it's only fair that they put their best foot forward for spiderman though. marvel's batman in terms of just overall popularity. gotta have your flagship game franchise and lets hope this spiderman game is up to par.

liquidtmd

Banned
untitled1fz6u0i.gif

Fucking incredible

So hyped for the potential of this game. Game of E3 for me, ahead South Park 2 and Capcom having the balls to do something than RE6 on steroids for RE7 (hating the negativity for RE7 currently on GAF - give it a chance)

Mortemis

Banned
This has me the most excited out of anything shown at E3. Holy shit.

Those sweet sweet memories of playing spiderman on my ps2 back in the day, no matter how covered in nostalgia. I can't wait for this.

kurahador

I doubt they'd ever have a game that takes place in the MCU. It would have the same issue that Agents of SHIELD has had: they wouldn't have access to all the biggest characters because they'd rather save those characters for the movies.

Yeah but you have to imagine there are alot more constraints when it comes to tv series trying to feature a fully CGI character like Iron Man or Hulk than a game does.

I'm confused. You know that the deals didn't fall through, and that Spider-man is in the MCU, right?

Yeah sorry. The word escapes me.

TI82

Banned
what? that doesn't make sense. they can easily write some random game plot for the mcu characters. not everything has to be canon. canon is overrated.

really though it's only fair that they put their best foot forward for spiderman though. marvel's batman in terms of just overall popularity. gotta have your flagship game franchise and lets hope this spiderman game is up to par.

Spiderman is literally the most valuable comic book IP out there.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg

hohoXD123

Sounds like they have multiple Marvel games in development (or at least plan to develop). Can't remember the last time I've been excited for a Marvel game but with Insomniac developing (and their development seemingly not being abused like in Fuse) this should be awesome. Initially thought Sucker Punch would be a better fit but as they say when it comes to light-hearted humour in games Insomniac are among the top developers out there, which is important in a Spidey game

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wouldn't it be kind of fuel on the console war fire if they announced Holiday 2017 release date and had Scorpion as the main antagonist?

KevinCow

Banned
Yeah but you have to imagine there are alot more constraints when it comes to tv series trying to feature a fully CGI character like Iron Man or Hulk than a game does.

It's not just that. It's more about, like... who would be the villain(s)? Green Goblin? Doc Ock? Venom? If they used any of these characters, it would mean they couldn't use them in future movies, or at least it would make it really hard to do so. Even lesser Spidey villains like, I dunno, Vulture or Scorpion, they might want to keep those in their back pocket just in case.

Whereas by setting it in its own universe, they have free access to all of these characters.

TI82

Banned
that's so old now (2013 data) that i bet the charts have changed quite a bit, prolly much more growth for avengers. still i bet it's still a sizable gap between spiderman and then batman and then the rest.

spidermans always been valuable money making machine, if you can find newer data ill look though because i havent found any.

This game will live or die based in its web physics , have they mentioned if they are doing the webs attach to buildings and all the cool Spider-Man 2 stuff you could do , or are we going to get activision shitty web in the clouds solution .

SOR5

This game will live or die based in its web physics , have they mentioned if they are doing the webs attach to buildings and all the cool Spider-Man 2 stuff you could do , or are we going to get activision shitty web in the clouds solution .

Spiderman 2+Insomniac Magic

And you have, a genuine, relentless, GOTY.

I entirely mean that.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I could never get into a spiderman game after spiderman 2, I hope insomniac nails the web slinging down. I have faith after how well subset overdrive handles.

KevinCow

Banned
Why do people still point to Spider-Man 2 like it was the only one that did web swinging that way? I'm pretty sure every open world Spider-Man since then has used the same web swinging mechanics.

I-hate-u

I can't believe this is happening, and Disney didn't partner with a third party publisher with Insomniac.

I am in no way trying to stir anything, but what will Sony bringing to the table exactly that Ubi or some other publisher won't match?

Defect

Why do people still point to Spider-Man 2 like it was the only one that did web swinging that way? I'm pretty sure every open world Spider-Man since then has used the same web swinging mechanics.
Web of Shadows was the last great web slinging game. This looks similar to the webslinging from the Amazing games but I hope I'm wrong and they nail it.

TI82

Banned
I can't believe this is happening, and Disney didn't partner with a third party publisher with Insomniac.

I am in no way trying to stir anything, but what will Sony bringing to the table exactly that Ubi or some other publisher won't match?

Sony let them have Spiderman in the MCU

le.phat

Access to the ICE team, great relations, hardware Insomniac is comfortable with, mutual respect built up over a long-lasting partnership. It's not that hard to imagine, right ?

I-hate-u

Sony let them have Spiderman in the MCU

Sony has no say in the Spidey video games rights, no?

Access to the ICE team, great relations, hardware Insomniac is comfortable with, mutual respect built up over a long-lasting partnership. It's not that hard to imagine, right ?

I dunno if that's worth cutting the Xbox/PC market for that though. Also, ICE team access? Insomniac ain't first party and probably are using their own engine. They don't need ND.

Nabbis

Quality, i hope.

G_Berry

Banned
As a huge fan of the old PS1 games, the only thing I can say that looks like shit in this trailer is the spidey suit.

Full hyped otherwise!!!

TI82

Banned
Sony has no say in the Spidey video games rights, no?

I dunno if that's worth cutting the Xbox/PC market for that though. Also, ICE team access? Insomniac ain't first party and probably are using their own engine. They don't need ND.

This game was likely part of the deal, especially since they said this has been worked on for quite a while. So it's not out of the question at all.

Permanently A

Because it was the only one that did web swinging that way. I'm not sure if every open world game since SM2 did moonswinging, but the majority of them do. For example the Beenox movie tie ins don't have the webs attaching to the buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kzB8EFBi8

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Please don't put as much Marvel characters in the game as possible.

Let this be a SPIDER-MAN game.

vaderise

I'm expecting this to be Arkham level of good. It has potential to be. After seeing what Insomniac did with the Sunset Overdrive i think they are the perfect fit for a Spider-Man game. Sony has another monster in their hands. I never wanted to just get my hands on a video game so bad until now.

VAD

I really don't like the suit. It's weird that Sucker Punch is not doing it, I thought it was their destiny to make a Spider-Man game after infamous.
It seems the game is based on brand new day with all the Mr Negative's inner demons roaming the city. I can only hope they adapt the Gauntlet storyline at some point. Anyway I can't wait for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom