• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

The God

Have Insomiac given any indication of when we will see this release? It had to be pretty far into development, Sunset Overdrive was a year ago now and a large chunk must be working on this game since. It really does look lovely though, Insomniac are a better fit for this game than Sucker Punch me thinks, also allows SP to work on a new IP which is very exciting.

They said they're not talking about dates right now, and the game doesn't even have a name yet.

Hopefully they aren't being rushed to release around Homecoming.

JimiNutz

Banned
At the moment my only concern is the combat.
Nothing against Insomniac but they don't really have much experience with third person action games do they? (that doesn't involve shooting).

I'm sure Insomniac are up to the task but I can maybe see the combat being difficult to pull off well?

Have Insomiac given any indication of when we will see this release? It had to be pretty far into development, Sunset Overdrive was a year ago now and a large chunk must be working on this game since. It really does look lovely though, Insomniac are a better fit for this game than Sucker Punch me thinks, also allows SP to work on a new IP which is very exciting.

Sunset Overdrive will be two years old in October. Insomniac seem to be a pretty efficient developer so I wouldn't be surprised if this makes 2017.

I think it's already known, but Spider-man uses mechanical web shooters.

Check his hand.

vMqx2ZP.jpg

Wollan

I'm sure Insomniac are up to the task but I can maybe see the combat being difficult to pull off well?
I think the vocabulary is becoming pretty defined in third-person this games these days. Especially where you have a overpowered character like Spiderman. I think Insomniac can refer to Arkham and TLOU/UC4.
Also, I'm sure there will be plenty of inventive shooter mechanics using web in all it's potential shapes and forms. That's where Insomniacs legendary weapon-mechanics will come in.

Please make the web-swinging be good and have momentum.

That's all i care about. Please... Make it like Spider-man 2 ;-;

This is literally what will sell it for me. I'm already hugely interested but if the swinging is poor then it all falls apart. I trust them though, they're good devs and the internet caused a stink about more recent spidey games so hopefully they learned and listened

Just watched the interview with the game director and that marvel guy.

I liked the part where they were sharing how and when they became Spider-Man fans. I'm just like them. We all connected with the character when we were kids. I hope they remember that.

I was so displeased when me and my 7 yr old nephew were watching Civil War, and Spidey said holy**** during one scene! That wasn't the Spider-Man I loved as a kid, and with my nephew sitting next to me, it felt like Spidey had left me and this is the new character for the new kidz. I accepted it and was ready to move on, but now with this game, I want to hope and dream again. I've wanted a great Spider-Man game for such a long time.

Guess this game will cement how I feel about Spider-Man in this modern age after it comes out. It appears I still love the web-head and want to go on more Spidey adventures. Looking forward to the game, Insomniac!

Raylan

Banned
I was so displeased when me and my 7 yr old nephew were watching Civil War, and Spidey said holy**** during one scene! That wasn't the Spider-Man I loved as a kid, and with my nephew sitting next to me, it felt like Spidey had left me and this is the new character for the new kidz. I accepted it and was ready to move on, but now with this game, I want to hope and dream again.
Wow man..... you can't be serious.

I was so displeased when me and my 7 yr old nephew were watching Civil War, and Spidey said holy**** during one scene! That wasn't the Spider-Man I loved as a kid, and with my nephew sitting next to me, it felt like Spidey had left me and this is the new character for the new kidz. I accepted it and was ready to move on, but now with this game, I want to hope and dream again. I've wanted a great Spider-Man game for such a long time.
It was a 15-year old kid reacting realistically to something ridiculous happening right in front of him, not going full-Deadpool. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like he went like "holy f*" or anything. Also, yeah, Spider-Man has cursed before, nothing wrong with that up to a certain degree.

Arun1910

I liked the part where they were sharing how and when they became Spider-Man fans. I'm just like them. We all connected with the character when we were kids. I hope they remember that.

I was so displeased when me and my 7 yr old nephew were watching Civil War, and Spidey said holy**** during one scene!

Uh...

Also that interview was good. Im really liking how they have Marvel working hand in hand with the development of this.

When the commented on the suit and said we will find out why the white spider, why the blue on the legs, I thought it was amazing because it shows that everything they are doing to the character has purpose, even down to the design. They dont have to explain the new design to us at all other than "its a new suit" but the fact that in game we will know why its like how it is, is pretty cool.

Loving the fact its a more experienced Peter Paker as well and how we will be using his intelect more. Kinda reminds me of the Arkham games detective mode in how you had to solve things.

Glad they commented on that indoor Coffee shop scene. I was afraid it was a cutscene of some kind but they said that him being more experienced means he will pull of cooler stuff indoors and i really LOVE that.

The swinging looks great and i love how there is a morph effect in the distance during the arch of the swing.

They also touched on how everything has to be perfect, the swinging, the combat, the story.

Having Marvel work on this game as well other than just giving it to Insomniac seems to be working very well so far from what info they have shared.

You realize that Spidey has cussed before in the comics, right?

Save for a couple old era issues from the Stan/Ditko era, I haven't read the comics. Got into Spider-Man from other media as a kid.

Again, if the character is not for me anymore, he's not for me. That's fine. The interview with the director was interesting in a way I can relate and I'm looking forward to the game.

Alexious

They said they're not talking about dates right now, and the game doesn't even have a name yet.

Hopefully they aren't being rushed to release around Homecoming.

I doubt that. Given that Sony didn't provide a generic 2017 release date, this should be a 2018 title. Maybe they'll use some of the Avengers Infinity War hype train and release in May.

Arun1910

I doubt that. Given that Sony didn't provide a generic 2017 release date, this should be a 2018 title. Maybe they'll use some of the Avengers Infinity War hype train and release in May.

They've said that the games been in development for "quiet some time", so I really doubt it's a 2018 title.

I would say May or June 2017. Reason being, Homecoming comes out in July 2017. Seeing as the game has nothing to do with the movie other than it being Spider-Man, having the game out just before the movie could boost hype for the film

The God

Uh...

Also that interview was good. Im really liking how they have Marvel working hand in hand with the development of this.

When the commented on the suit and said we will find out why the white spider, why the blue on the legs, I thought it was amazing because it shows that everything they are doing to the character has purpose, even down to the design. They dont have to explain the new design to us at all other than "its a new suit" but the fact that in game we will know why its like how it is, is pretty cool.

Loving the fact its a more experienced Peter Paker as well and how we will be using his intelect more. Kinda reminds me of the Arkham games detective mode in how you had to solve things.

Glad they commented on that indoor Coffee shop scene. I was afraid it was a cutscene of some kind but they said that him being more experienced means he will pull of cooler stuff indoors and i really LOVE that.

The swinging looks great and i love how there is a morph effect in the distance during the arch of the swing.

They also touched on how everything has to be perfect, the swinging, the combat, the story.

Having Marvel work on this game as well other than just giving it to Insomniac seems to be working very well so far from what info they have shared.
anyone got a link to this interview?

Neoxon

They've said that the games been in development for "quiet some time", so I really doubt it's a 2018 title.

I would say May or June 2017. Reason being, Homecoming comes out in July 2017. Seeing as the game has nothing to do with the movie other than it being Spider-Man, having the game out just before the movie could boost hype for the film
But while that may be true, Insomniac isn't gonna rush the game out to meet that deadline. If it's ready by then, awesome. If not, we're gonna wait a bit longer. This isn't an eSports game where an entire competitive scene hinges on this game, it'll be fine if we have to wait a while.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I could imagine that this is some kind of part of the agreement regarding Spider-Mans introduction to the MCU, so I guess the game is in developement since around last summer.

Alexious

I'd like that, no doubt. But Insomniac has been working on plenty of projects lately, from Ratchet & Clank to Edge of Nowhere to Song of the Deep. While Stevenson said the majority of the studio is working on it, that could be a recent development.

Furthermore, Spider-Man (like God of War, Days Gone and Detroit) only got a "in development". With Horizon that's basically coming in March 2017 getting a full date, this seems to imply these titles are considerably further out. Otherwise, why not just say "2017"?

Save for a couple old era issues from the Stan/Ditko era, I haven't read the comics. Got into Spider-Man from other media as a kid.

Again, if the character is not for me anymore, he's not for me. That's fine. The interview with the director was interesting in a way I can relate and I'm looking forward to the game.

really confused. you can't say "the character" is suddenly not for you when you have ignored most of the character's existence. each version of spider-man is differen't. this is not a spider-man for "the kids". it's the spider-man that Insomniac and Marvel have decided on for this game. the cartoon spidey is different, the mcu spidey is different, comics spidey (both of them) are way different. whatever about you caring about him saying "holy shit" but what you're insinuating goes against your knowledge of the character and it's past incarnations and also the very existence of cross-media characters.

I could imagine that this is some kind of part of the agreement regarding Spider-Mans introduction to the MCU, so I guess the game is in developement since around last summer.
that deal happened in what feb 2015? and the first talks of it were q4 2014? not outside the realms of possibility it was in production before last summer.

Arun1910

I'd like that, no doubt. But Insomniac has been working on plenty of projects lately, from Ratchet & Clank to Edge of Nowhere to Song of the Deep. While Stevenson said the majority of the studio is working on it, that could be a recent development.

Furthermore, Spider-Man (like God of War, Days Gone and Detroit) only got a "in development". With Horizon that's basically coming in March 2017 getting a full date, this seems to imply these titles are considerably further out. Otherwise, why not just say "2017"?

Whilst I agree with you, a reason why there may be no release date is because maybe they're just not certain yet? I'd hate for them to say a date and then delay it several times like every other game thats come out the past 2 years. They haven't even got a solid title for the game yet so setting a release date for a game that hasn't got a title doesn't seem smart.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Other way around. A developer interview made it sound like he's wearing this costume for a specific, likely plot-related reason. Doesn't matter, you'll be able to swap skins I'm sure. I want to wear his current Amazing Spider-Man "armor" outfit personally.

Together with the other things we know it's kind of easy to assume the white Spider has something to do with a Mr Negative storyline imho.

Monocle

Guess this game will cement how I feel about Spider-Man in this modern age after it comes out. It appears I still love the web-head and want to go on more Spidey adventures. Looking forward to the game, Insomniac!
Do the kid a huge favor and don't be weird about mature language. The world is full of it and he'll be better off the sooner he understands that cursing is just another part of human communication, one that can offend people, and that diminishes in effect when overused or employed in place of more apt and expressive words.

Thought and intent, not individual words, matter. The most cruel and vulgar concepts in the world can be conveyed using nothing but the language you can hear in a Saturday morning cartoon.

What seems worse to you: "Mom, I never loved you and I never will" or "fuck off"? Which has the greater capacity to hurt someone? Be sensible about this.

For more lectures in this series, please visit...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Together with the other things we know it's kind of easy to assume the white Spider has something to do with a Mr Negative storyline imho.

Then it would be more like this:
mr_negative.jpg

Under the assumption, they would adopt the original idea from the books, but then again it would not be partial. Idk.

really confused. you can't say "the character" is suddenly not for you when you have ignored most of the character's existence. each version of spider-man is differen't. this is not a spider-man for "the kids". it's the spider-man that Insomniac and Marvel have decided on for this game. the cartoon spidey is different, the mcu spidey is different, comics spidey (both of them) are way different.

Yeah yeah, I get all that. And I can say "the character" is not for me anymore when he's been a large part of my childhood and I, like many others, don't read much comic books and have been exposed to the character via cartoons, games, merchandise, and movies. So he said something in the newest movie that stands out from the other films. I was a little sad, but whatever.

Different versions of the character exist. Got it. I'll see what version Insomniac and Marvel deliver on the PS4, but it's nice to know the lead got into the character when he was a kid as well and had the trousers.

Neoxon

Yeah yeah, I get all that. And I can say "the character" is not for me anymore when he's been a large of my childhood and I, like many others, don't read much comics books and have to been exposed to the character via cartoons, games, merchandise, and movies.

Different versions of the character exist. Got it. I'll see what version Insomniac and Marvel deliver on the PS4, but it's nice to know the lead got into the character when he was kid as well and had the trousers.
I have the distinct impression that you watched the 90's cartoon growing up, which was heavily censored.

That being said, MCU Spider-Man is a teenager in the year 2016. Of course they're gonna adapt him to fit the era.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the vocabulary is becoming pretty defined in third-person this games these days. Especially where you have a overpowered character like Spiderman. I think Insomniac can refer to Arkham and TLOU/UC4.
Also, I'm sure there will be plenty of inventive shooter mechanics using web in all it's potential shapes and forms. That's where Insomniacs legendary weapon-mechanics will come in.

Yeah I had thought about the webbing and the potential different forms.
Not a massive fan of Arkham combat so hope Insomniac tries something different there.

I'm sure it will turn out well, just think that is probably my main concern.

Yeah yeah, I get all that. And I can say "the character" is not for me anymore when he's been a large part of my childhood and I, like many others, don't read much comics books and have been exposed to the character via cartoons, games, merchandise, and movies. So he said something in the newest movie that stands out from the other films. I was a little sad, but whatever.

Different versions of the character exist. Got it. I'll see what version Insomniac and Marvel deliver on the PS4, but it's nice to know the lead got into the character when he was kid as well and had the trousers.

I'm not really sure why "holy shit" would turn you off when it's such an inconsequential turn of phrase. it doesn't really indicate the character's personality as a whole. but I mean you do you, it's not my place to say what you should and shouldn't like about Spidey, but I hope you do like it.

Arun1910

Oh man, so they have placed an emphasis on traversal, that's fantastic. Sounds like much fun will be had from simply swinging and parkouring around Manhattan.

Yes for sure. Traversal, Combat, Story. They heavily emphasised these during the interview and its everything I wanted to hear.

Traversal is so integral to a Spider-Man game and I don't know why the past few games half arsed that. You spend most of your time swinging around.

Also now that they have a new indoor traversal system that looks fun as shit I actually won't mind indoor missions now

It does for me. I'm a PC gamer, and I'd like to see more of the "PC" exclusive games come to PS4 and Xbox as well. But the sad fact is games that are traditionally PC only really do not seem to appeal to console players enough to be worth it.

Games like the Xcom EU didn't do very well on console. Hence why Xcom 2 was PC exclusive.
Was it exclusive because Xcom didn't sell on console, or was it exclusive because Firaxis is a relatively small studio and it's hard to make 3 versions of one game at the same time? The fact that Xcom 2 is now coming to console suggests the latter. Otherwise why would Firaxis bother?

At the moment my only concern is the combat.
Nothing against Insomniac but they don't really have much experience with third person action games do they? (that doesn't involve shooting).

I'm sure mechanical webshooters will allow for a decent amount of variation in the combat, but you have a very valid concern.

Personally, I'd like to see an evolution of Web of Shadows' combat. The transitions between ground, wall and air combat were almost seamless and the whole thing felt very Spidey-like.

Yes for sure. Traversal, Combat, Story. They heavily emphasised these during the interview and its everything I wanted to hear.

Traversal is so integral to a Spider-Man game and I don't know why the past few games half arsed that. You spend most of your time swinging around.

Also now that they have a new indoor traversal system that looks fun as shit I actually won't mind indoor missions now

Yeah, the focus on traversal is wise. I hope you have plenty of moves to complement swinging: wallrunning, walljumping (kind of like WoS, where you could stick to a wall by pressing the jump button to think where to go next), wallsliding, long and high jumping are things I'd like to see.

I had a lot of fun trying to go around the city in SM2 by jumping from rooftop to rooftop using the different jumps.

F4r0_Atak

Really hate that this exclusive, but PS4 prices should plummet once the neo is out.

You do realize that Marvel are not the ones who went to see Insomniac Games. SIE/Sony are the ones who initiated the discussion with Marvel, who then asked to Insomniac Games if they wanted in. Well, based on the interviews, that's how the project started/greenlit.

I have the distinct impression that you watched the 90's cartoon growing up, which was heavily censored.

Didn't know that. Interesting.

I also got some tapes from my Dad and watched a little bit of that corny show "Spiderman and his amazing friends". Da memories. T_T

I'm not really sure why "holy shit" would turn you off when it's such an inconsequential turn of phrase. it doesn't really indicate the character's personality as a whole. but I mean you do you, it's not my place to say what you should and shouldn't like about Spidey, but I hope you do like it.

Spider-Man is well beloved for how well he relates and connects to the viewer, reader, listener, etc. So for me, I guess I just got used to him having that sort of level of restraint on his choice of words as he does his actions. In the Sam Raimi movies, the one time he slipped a 'cuss' word was when he had the symbiote amplifying his emotions when he couldn't pay the rent and he was getting ticked off with the owner. Along with his other actions, in the end Pete felt the symbiote was turning him into something he was not. I found Pete really relatable, and like most of you's, likable and real. In Civil War it was just casual shock.

I understand that most gaffers probably cuss like it's second nature. I'm one of the few here that's probably a little bit more conscious of how I choose my words and how they are taken by various people of different thoughts, faiths, and backgrounds. Spidey is just one of those characters I was really immersed with and the casual curse was a bit of a wake up.

I have no real problem with profanity though. Language is a means in sharing your ideas, feelings, and thoughts, and "taboo" language are a stronger means of getting a message across. I've chosen not to use strong language, but don't fault those who do.

My issue is a personal one, as Spidey was a childhood craze of mine, and that simply wasn't something I expected my favorite super hero to say.

Also, thanks, hope I enjoy the game too. Rest assured, I won't be fattening the threads with complaints if he says something naughty in the game.

Didn't know that. Interesting.

I also got some tapes from my Dad and watched a little bit of that corny show "Spiderman and his amazing friends". Da memories. T_T

Spider-Man is well beloved for how well he relates and connects to the viewer, reader, listener, etc. So for me, I guess I just got used to him having that sort of level of restraint on his choice of words as he does his actions. In the Sam Raimi movies, the one time he slipped a 'cuss' word was when he had the symbiote amplifying his emotions when he couldn't pay the rent and he was getting ticked off with the owner. Along with his other actions, in the end Pete felt the symbiote was turning him into something he was not. I found Pete really relatable, and like most of you's, likable and real. In Civil War it was just casual shock.

I understand that most gaffers probably cuss like it's second nature. I'm one of the few here that's probably a little bit more conscious of how I chose my words and how they are taken by various people of different thoughts, faiths, and backgrounds. Spidey is just one of those characters I was really immersed with and the casual curse was a bit of a wake up.

I have no real problem with profanity though. Language is a means in sharing your ideas, feelings, and thoughts, and "taboo" language are a stronger means of getting a message across.

My issue is a personal one, as Spidey was a childhood craze of mine, and that simply wasn't something I expected my favorite super hero to say.

Also, thanks, hope I enjoy the game too. Rest assured, I won't be fattening the threads with complaints if he says something naughty in the game.

Yeah, I get you. That's fair. Sorry, I just wanted to know more about what was bothering you. Thanks for the replies. Also they've said this game isn't related to the MCU.

Arun1910

Yeah, I get you. That's fair. Sorry, I just wanted to know more about what was bothering you. Thanks for the replies. Also they've said this game isn't related to the MCU.

Thank God for that.

Having the game away from the MCU is good as it allows for unrestrained creativity on that front, and having Marvel work on this too is just perfect.

Also I'm not seeing people mention the VA, but I think he sounds like a great Spider-Man, he sounds new?

Thank God for that.

Having the game away from the MCU is good as it allows for unrestrained creativity on that front, and having Marvel work on this too is just perfect.

Also I'm not seeing people mention the VA, but I think he sounds like a great Spider-Man, he sounds new?

I've heard some commenters on youtube say that his voice is being played by Yuri Lowenthal.

I agree that he sounds good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nah I want brutal spidey. I hope he gets the symbiote suit early in the gameand gets a rage meter that depletes unless you rip muggers apart and strangle bank robbers with your webbing. Also you rip off the Scorpian's tail and make him eat it whole. I want Spider of War ;D You don't want to see what Spidey does to the Shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom